• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Is One Thing You Absolutely Love About Smash 4?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
The plethora of options. There's just so many characters you can use, the offensive and defensive options are more balanced than any other game (though could still use small tweaks), plenty of good stages to play on, the game is thankfully for that very fresh and can continue to be for a good long time.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Its uniqueness. Compared to other fighting games, Smash is much more vibrant and stands out from the rest. There is a diverse roster, colorful and fun stages, a variety of items... and all of these elements tie in so perfectly with one another, that they make Smash such a well-known and highly coveted series. Every character is different, so the possibilities are endless. Not to mention, it's got such a great community like this one!

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
:4lucina:.
And the fact that, for the first time ever, Mario is actually usable. His least rough incarnation before this was in Melee and he still wasn't exactly awesome there.
The reason I said two and not one is because that's the entire list of things I like about Smash 4.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
The roster. While there are characters I would've LOVED to see playable(RIP the Saki Amamiya dream), I'm pretty satisfied for what the roster is. Mario can fight Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Cloud, and Bayonetta. NOBODY would've thought that as possible, but here it is. A very diverse roster, where pretty much every character plays differently, even those that may be considered clones.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:4lucina:.
And the fact that, for the first time ever, Mario is actually usable. His least rough incarnation before this was in Melee and he still wasn't exactly awesome there.
The reason I said two and not one is because that's the entire list of things I like about Smash 4.
Rar? Mario was one of the best characters in 64.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well he wasn't bad, no character was bad in 64, but he doesn't compare to Falcon, Pikachu, Yoshi or Kirby. Being 7th place out of only 12 isn't impressive.
I don't know, Link was pretty bad. At any rate, I'm not talking tiers, I mean as a character, Mario was good in 64.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
There's so many things... But theses can be in ONE thing: uniqueness (as said earlier).

The roster, the gameplay, the different options, all of this contribute to having one unique and fun game.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna talk about one thing not many people seem to talk about when it comes to\ Sm4sh:

The art style. This game is ****ing gorgeous. Not from just the attention to detail in most of the stages, but just how the colors pop out in nearly damn everything. From the character artwork, the models, the menu (even if the way it's organized is still a mess), and even the character heads. It's a hell of a lot more appealing to look at than Brawl, where most of the characters looked like they rolled in dirt or in general just didn't mold well at all with the realistic art direction.

Looking at you, Toon Link. :toonlink:

In general, the art direction in this game is where I feel like they got it "right", if you get what I'm saying. Almost all the characters look as closest as they do to their home series, which isn't something I can really say for Melee or Brawl. 64 more or less gets a pass since it had its own stylistic spin anyway, and the comic book artstyle for it is something I find immensely charming. Thing is, Smash 4 is a game I can see still holding up well as the years pass, time hasn't been so kind to Melee or Brawl's visuals. Time for me to show some examples:

B O O Z E R :4bowser:

moo^2 :4mewtwo:

hat kid :4ness:

red luigi :4mario:
ok Melee Mario's render is actually alright but still

all four characters in official renders in their home games

See what I'm getting at? It's a very pleasing look and fits most of the characters. I really hope future Smash games follow the same aesthetic Smash 4 does. The same thing can even be seen in the character heads like I mentioned before. Let's take a look at Jigglypuff:

:jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuff::4jigglypuff:
I'll actually give it that most of Melee's head icons have aged fairly well (:dkmelee::pikachumelee::mariomelee: :drmario: :falconmelee::foxmelee::yoshimelee::nessmelee:), but most of Brawl's just look fugly (:zerosuitsamus::pit::wario::ike::link2::squirtle::zelda::pikachu2:, could list a great amount of them tbh), Smash 4 having that drop shadow and having proper shading on all the character heads just outright looks great. It's the little things that make you appreciate something more.

man this went on too long, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna talk about one thing not many people seem to talk about when it comes to\ Sm4sh:

The art style. This game is ****ing gorgeous. Not from just the attention to detail in most of the stages, but just how the colors pop out in nearly damn everything. From the character artwork, the models, the menu (even if the way it's organized is still a mess), and even the character heads. It's a hell of a lot more appealing to look at than Brawl, where most of the characters looked like they rolled in dirt or in general just didn't mold well at all with the realistic art direction.

In general, the art direction in this game is where I feel like they got it "right", if you get what I'm saying. Almost all the characters look as closest as they do to their home series, which isn't something I can really say for Melee or Brawl. 64 more or less gets a pass since it had its own stylistic spin anyway, and the comic book artstyle for it is something I find immensely charming. Thing is, Smash 4 is a game I can see still holding up well as the years pass, time hasn't been so kind to Melee or Brawl's visuals. Time for me to show some examples:

See what I'm getting at? It's a very pleasing look and fits most of the characters. I really hope future Smash games follow the same aesthetic Smash 4 does. The same thing can even be seen in the character heads like I mentioned before. Let's take a look at Jigglypuff:

I'll actually give it that most of Melee's head icons have aged fairly well (:dkmelee::pikachumelee::mariomelee: :drmario: :falconmelee::foxmelee::yoshimelee::nessmelee:), but most of Brawl's just look fugly (:zerosuitsamus::pit::wario::ike::link2::squirtle::zelda::pikachu2:, could list a great amount of them tbh), Smash 4 having that drop shadow and having proper shading on all the character heads just outright looks great. It's the little things that make you appreciate something more.

That's fine m8. Great read.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
While to me, there are many flaws in Smash 4 (mostly single player mode and other unnecessary stuff), there are few things that I do like in this game such as the artstyle, Master Core itself, and the gameplay/competitive side.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
One Thing?
:4pacman:
That's the One Thing.
Just :4pacman:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I find it kinda weird to waifu an SI character but OK.

Anna is legit cute in Smash.
This, I can agree with.
Imagine what Anna Robin would look like in Smash 64's Artstyle
That game made Mario look like a Cinnamon Roll
Imagine what they would make Anna Robin look like :laugh:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
There's nothing in Smash 4 that I "absolutely love."

But if there's anything or anyone that comes close to it it would have to be Ryu.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
This, I can agree with.
Imagine what Anna Robin would look like in Smash 64's Artstyle
That game made Mario look like a Cinnamon Roll
Imagine what they would make Anna Robin look like :laugh:
IMO she looks far cuter here in Smash than she does in FE.
And
No clue what Waifu means, but I love Anna so :4pacman:
It's basically a cutesy way of calling a girl from a videogame or show your favourite. Some people only have one waifu, which is their favourite girl ever, some people have many. Most people don't take this seriously, some other people legit act as if their waifu is their actual wife.

Incredibly enough, Lucina isn't my waifu. Far from it.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
There's plenty of reasons.

• The amount of characters—clones or not—is amazing in my eyes.
  • The third-party characters we have received has been mindblowing, honestly. Cloud is a huge deal, whether people want to believe it or not. Ryu is not a small thing either.
  • Despite Sakurai's view towards the competetive scene, he has done quite a lot for it, as a nod that he acknowledge us. That being the online mode(s), the balancing patches and even Gamecube controllers and adapter.
  • Palutena.
  • Robin
  • Lucina

Last edited:

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
There's plenty of reasons.

• The amount of characters—clones or not—is amazing in my eyes.
  • The third-party characters we have received has been mindblowing, honestly. Cloud is a huge deal, whether people want to believe it or not. Ryu is not a small thing either.
  • Despite Sakurai's view towards the competetive scene, he has done quite a lot for it, as a nod that he acknowledge us. That being the online mode(s), the balancing patches and even Gamecube controllers and adapter.
  • Palutena.
  • Robin

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
:4megaman::4mewtwo::4wiremac: I still thank sakurai every day! Just for the pure fan service. I don't ever main any of these guys but I just feel happy to have them be a part of sm4sh.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
One thing I absolutely love in Smash 4? Dat Final Destination tho!

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

I completely agree. This is my pick too.

C3CC

Smash Lord

AMEN to every single letter of this post. I hated Brawl's art direction since day 1, when they revealed the trailer at E3 2006. Everyone looks hideous, ESPECIALLY Mario.

I think that Smash 4's art direction is also what I love the most about it. It's, like you said ****ing gorgeous. It's beautiful.

Oh and of course the fact that two of my mains who were previously cut (Mewtwo and Lucas) returned. And that Rosalina is a playable character.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
best thing is how well the game is balanced compared to other smash games. Almost all of the cast is capable of making noise in big tournaments. I'd say there's probably 15 or so characters capable of winning a national. Probably half the cast is capable of taking a regional.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247

This exactly

I despised the ugly dirty Brawl style

Its why I didnt get the game when I was 6

Izzirez

Smash Rookie
The amount of viable characters and the fact I don't have to worry about inane tech skills like L-Cancelling to play competitively. I can focus on learning my characters match ups and adapting to my opponent, not fighting myself and my controller.

Jaketto

Smash Rookie
The one thing I love about Smash is hard to narrow down.

To be honest I would say that it's just fun. With items, without items, whatever character, competitive, casual; they all add up in this game to something that other games don't.

Top Bottom