• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a soft ban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
It's when something is not outright disallowed from competative play, but it's highly looked down upon to use.

A good example of this is Japan and Street Fighter 2's Akuma. He's broken, so in most places, he's just banned from tournaments. In Japan, however, you can still play him, but no top level payer uses him becuase they understand that he is broken.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
A good example of this is Japan and Street Fighter 2's Akuma. He's broken, so in most places, he's just banned from tournaments. In Japan, however, you can still play him, but no top level payer uses him becuase they understand that he is broken.
Akuma's outright banned everywhere.

I think you're talking about Old Sagat.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
It's the Japanese word for "banned".

And Akuma is only soft-banned in Japan. Occasionally, some japanese scrub pick him only to get owned by a real pro.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
How long till Meta Knight is softbanned?
In most places, he "technically" already is.

Either way, we're getting to the point where we are :mad: when people use him, so whatevs. Eventually it'll happen i'm sure.

Tamoo

Smash Master
In England, it is now rare to see ppl use metaknight, probs cos of his reputation. I was surprised when I came up against one in a local tournament and he made it to final 8 so i thought he must be pretty decent and probs spams tornado etc. It seems even metaknight users have respect for their opponent, he fought the whole set without using tornado and didnt dsmash or shuttle loop spam at high percentages.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
In most places, he "technically" already is.
Seriously. =P

Everyone basically gave the definition, but very simplistically its when something is really "gay", but still allowed.
But soft bans aren't really always in competitive scenarios. You and your friends might put a soft ban on Fox in Melee because you think his shine is really cheap.
Its just depends on the person you ask really.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
It seems even metaknight users have respect for their opponent, he fought the whole set without using tornado and didnt dsmash or shuttle loop spam at high percentages.

How is purposefully crippling your game to make it easier for your opponent to win a sign of respect? Doesn't that show that you feel that playing at the peak of your abilities isn't worth the time or the effort? Those Meta Knights you've described just sound like incurable scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom