• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Ryu and Ken had V-Triggers?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know these two are based off SSF2 Turbo, but I think o with all the other modern touch-ups certain veterans received based on their more recent appearances (like Pit in Sm4sh and Link in Ultimate), I figured Ryu and Ken should have also received some modern touch-ups in the form of V-Triggers from Street Fighter V.

V-Triggers in this case would function as the new down specials replacing their Focus Attacks. Ryu and Ken would start out with a full V-Gauge (which is two bars) and their V-Triggers always require two bars to use.
  • Ryu’s V-Trigger: Denjin Renki, which gives Ryu electric and wind properties
    • Hadoken becomes the Denjin Hadoken, which now paralyzes opponents and can be charged to determine the amount of hits and duration of paralysis. However, the charge can’t be stored and Ryu also loses the Shakunetsu Hadoken while his V-Trigger is active.
    • Tatsumaki Senpukyaku now has extended horizontal movement
    • Shoryuken also gains more damage and stun
    • Ryu also has his punches enhanced, dealing extra stun while also having an extra two frames of advantage on hit. While in Denjin Renki, Ryu can link multiple punches together, creating brand-new combos off stray conversions.
  • Ken’s V-Trigger: Heat Rush, which gives Ken fire properties
    • Hadoken becomes the Shakunetsu Hadoken, original command input and all
    • Tatsumaki Senpukyaku gains fire effects at the cost of faster fall speed when used in the air
    • Shoryuken becomes the Heavy Shoryuken, which is now Heat Rush-exclusive
Keep in mind that whenever you use a Final Smash, your V-Gauge is depleted instantly if your V-Trigger is active. That said, whenever V-Trigger is active or the V-Gauge is depleted, Ryu and Ken’s down specials become their respective V-Skills, which slowly replenishes the V-Gauge.
  • Ryu V-Skills: Thrust Strike
    • Thrust Strike acts as a typical down B counter where Ryu blocks an attack and follows up with a punch that crumples grounded opponents; think of it as a spiritual successor to Focus Attack.
      • However, if Ryu’s V-Trigger is active, the counter gains the ability to briefly paralyze opponents in the air or on the ground.
  • Ken V-Skills: Ryusenkyaku
    • Ryusenkyaku has Ken perform a wheel kick before landing on his back. Heat Rush slightly extends the horizontal distance traveled.
Don’t get me wrong, Ryu and Ken would still primarily be based on SSF2 Turbo for most of their moveset and playstyle. But I wanted to at least ponder the idea of V-Triggers in Smash Bros., so what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I wouldn't be too thrilled about this to be perfectly honest. Focus Attack was actually translated from SF4 over to Smash pretty darn well and is super fun to use,

Quick Step is a command run which feels redundant in a game where running is something that can be done already.
Ryusenkyaku could be fit into a back special or as a command exclusive move if you really want to add it to his kit.

Heavy Shoryu being locked to V-Trigger is really weird especially when it wasn't even like that in SFV. It feels like it's adding limitations to Ken's base moves to justify the addition of V-Triggers/Skills. On brand in a way I suppose, since plenty of V-Skills/Triggers did just that in SFV.

Rather than tie some of these to a V-Trigger mechanic, I think you'd be better off going the SF6 route and just adding onto their move lists.

Give Ryu Denjin Charge or Hashogeki as a back special. Give Ken Dragon Lash Kick, etc.

It gets brought up more and more frequently now, but I do think Smash would benefit from having a more traditional super meter with a few supers per character. With a super meter, you could actually give Ryu Denjin Renki as an install super, instead of having it take up one of his special moves.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I'd like for the Focus Attacks to remain, but be given reskins based on Ryu and Ken's Drive Impacts in SF6.
Honestly I would keep it to the SF4 design if Ryu and Ken’s designs are their classic designs I just think it would fit better personally even though their classic designs are technically SF6, that’s probably just me though

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Honestly I would keep it to the SF4 design if Ryu and Ken’s designs are their classic designs I just think it would fit better personally even though their classic designs are technically SF6, that’s probably just me though
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post, but I think they're referring to the visual effect of Focus Attack taking on the graffiti style of Street Fighter 6, not the actual character designs of Ryu and Ken.

That said, I'd definitely take their new looks as alternate costumes in a new Smash.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post, but I think they're referring to the visual effect of Focus Attack taking on the graffiti style of Street Fighter 6, not the actual character designs of Ryu and Ken.

That said, I'd definitely take their new looks as alternate costumes in a new Smash.
Yeah I was talking about the visual effect of the graffiti style. I probably should have been more clear that I meant if Ryu and Ken used their classic designs they should have the SF4 style of focus effect and the SF6 style if their default designs are the new ones.

Top Bottom