• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Melee...

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
... didn't have Wavedashing, or L canceling, or any type of advanced techs? Where would the game as a whole be? What if Melee was released with the mechanics that Brawl is made of? Would the community be the same? What if, in the end, items were allowed in competitive play? Would we have beasts like Ken, or PC Chris, or Mango? Could we stand to play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX5HzwY5AOc Just a thought of mine. Discuss.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure the competitive community would have never sprouted. No ATs=no competitive play. The only reason brawl is competitive is because of melee being so big.

EDIT: links broken :p

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the competitive community would have never sprouted. No ATs=no competitive play. The only reason brawl is competitive is because of melee being so big.

EDIT: links broken :p
/thread

It'd be a simple party game, which it was made to be.

#HBC | Gorf

The link works fine for me. And I think that soon, the Brawl community will tremble due to a lack of true competitive skill. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but not as technical as melee.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The link works fine for me. And I think that soon, the Brawl community will tremble due to a lack of true competitive skill. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but not as technical as melee.
It works now. The brawl community won't tremble. A lot of people still play it, but its community will shrink A LOT.

#HBC | Gorf

I'm just hoping that the day won't come that the melee community will tremble. And IF it does, it'll be to a remake of the game (but since Sakurai detests it anyway, that won't happen).

wool

Smash Ace
I would hate it because brawl is utter **** (IMO, please don't spam me).

It would still be fun and all to play with friends but I wouldn't be as into it.

Spife

Smash Master
inb4 lock
the game would have had some form of competition, because of smash 64. Brawl bashing is not okay BUT I feel like Brawl has such a strong competitive scene because of melee (this is one of the many reasons) and as such, Melee would have had a competitive scene NO MATTER WHAT because of smash 64 (albeit the 64 community was small iirc, it still would have had SOMETHING).

Which is why whom ever changed the game play of melee to brawl (that is, lack of advanced techs auto sweet spot and hitstun) is a very bad person because the game was going to be played competitively no matter what they did to it, so they didn't need to say FU to competitive gamers in the least. Melee still sold well.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
inb4 lock
the game would have had some form of competition, because of smash 64. Brawl bashing is not okay BUT I feel like Brawl has such a strong competitive scene because of melee (this is one of the many reasons) and as such, Melee would have had a competitive scene NO MATTER WHAT because of smash 64 (albeit the 64 community was small iirc, it still would have had SOMETHING).

Which is why whom ever changed the game play of melee to brawl (that is, lack of advanced techs auto sweet spot and hitstun) is a very bad person because the game was going to be played competitively no matter what they did to it, so they didn't need to say FU to competitive gamers in the least. Melee still sold well.
I think your right. Melee is still selling well btw...It seems brawlers are starting to pick up the predecessor or something. It's hard to Imagine but a Leap from Smash64 to Brawl isn't that different. It would actually be seen as an upgrade. If MK was still in the game as well as the other characters then things would work out basically the same after that. Everyone would have MK as god tier and the game would be deemed broken. The community would shut down after about 3 or 4 years and a 3rd game would be in 1 of 3 forms. A. like Melee(the Most unlikely IMO) B. a game like Brawl+(The Second most unlikely IMO but as B+ evolves...who knows.) and C. a game much worse then Brawl(IMO most likely:chuckle: Picture a game more like Brawl- where they just make it worse but add more characters)

Anytime_Minutes

Smash Apprentice
Brawl

... didn't have Wavedashing, or L canceling, or any type of advanced techs? Where would the game as a whole be? What if Melee was released with the mechanics that Brawl is made of? Would the community be the same? What if, in the end, items were allowed in competitive play? Would we have beasts like Ken, or PC Chris, or Mango? Could we stand to play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX5HzwY5AOc Just a thought of mine. Discuss.
Melee would be boring without all that ... it would be . Brawl.

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
l-cancelling is the only NECESSARY at in melee imo, it makes comboing possible for characters other than marth and sheik. without l-cancelling the game would be alot more defensive.

Top Bottom