• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What I don't like on FG (rant)

Vyden

Smash Rookie
So I haven't played with items on in years just to better myself at individual characters but I noticed a thing after playing smash for years. It also wasn't until For Glory that I noticed how many people just exploit the game on that mode. .I'm not even looking to be top dog I just love good matches. Even if I lose to a person who is good I continue to play the match because its entertaining and fun. What I don't like however is a person who just grab spams or projectile spams. No variety to their kit just spam to win. Grabbing and throwing into the same combo takes no skill btw. Just the same nonsense over and over. I don't mind losing I just hate how someone can take the fun out of a mode. I'm not saying the whole mode is ruined but this certainly is annoying

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm honestly with you. Fighting such people is almost never fun. But it's pretty much inevitable—some people are just so bent on winning that they'd stoop to such underhanded fighting strategies. And if you managed to triumph over them, well, most of the time they'd report you and get you sent straight to For Glory Hell. That was a major problem with Smash 4's online.

Smash Ultimate's online seems to have fixed it, even if it's just by a little bit. Matches are now set up in accordance to player skill level and rule preference, and if I'm not mistaken, there's some sort of limit on the report feature as well, so matches won't be as intolerable as they were before.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To give a somewhat better answer, think about it this way. These games are a competition; your goal is to defeat your opponent. When someone spams against you, they are challenging you with something like "I bet you are so bad that I can just do the same thing over and over and you won't be able to beat it". You can prove them wrong and beat that for an easy win, or you can prove them right in which case they were obviously very wise to take the free win against you. If someone is really just throwing projectiles constantly or grabbing constantly, you can win just by dash attacking over and over, and if they realize you're doing that and are not bad themselves so they adapt, they'll start blocking in which case you'll start grabbing and suddenly you have a game that will continue to evolve until you're both doing all of the useful things. In fact, this mindset of "do whatever it takes to win" but doing so intelligently so when something is not making you win you make adjustments is where serious competitive play really comes from; the whole growth process just doesn't work if you aren't actually willing to do what it takes to win.

I can't speak on report features as I didn't really play online; obviously it's the height of scrubdom to lose a match and not accept that you alone have full and total personal responsibility for all of your losses, and a report feature that allows players to avoid that absolute truth is obviously a really bad feature. Even then though, I'd blame Nintendo for providing a poor environment and not the players for exploiting it to maximum advantage; if you direct the anger over reports based on playstyle toward Nintendo instead of toward the players and convince many others to do the same, you'll probably see more helpful patches in the future.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This game has a much better online system, and if someone is truly making your experience awful by spamming, there's a report feature (although it really doesn't matter, just quit and find someone else). If you want good competitive play, find your nearest tournament, or join one online when the game comes out.

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
Grabbing and throwing into the same combo takes no skill btw.
Actually it does take skill to do so on a good opponent. Although it probably does not take skill to do it to you.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I spam projectiles a lot. I made someone who uses Villager get mad at how I played. (This was from Anther's Ladder, not For Glory.) He was winning most of the time and told me to watch IcyMist and ESAM and how they play because he didn't like that I used Charge Shot. Well, I don't play like them because I am not them. A Villager of all people complaining about Charge Shot. I ended up leaving this person because he kept complaining. If you don't like how someone plays, put up with it or don't play them. They don't have to play the way you want. They may not care about honor or they may have a different meaning of honor. If you end up in a position where I can easily punish you with a grab or projectile, I'm going to.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I just really hope it's based on skill. I'll be the first to say I am not good, but I still want an enjoyable experience. My breakdown of player skill I run into on average in 1v1 For Glory are as follows.
  • 42% - A player who two stocks me without any issue.
    • Some of them SD at the start by accident, but I still count them because they could have easily two stocked me.
    • This is not counting the matches where I accidentally SD for any reason.
  • 12% - A player I two stocked without any issue.
    • This is not counting the matches where they accidentally SD, but it is counting the ones where they SD intentionally.
  • 6% - A player where the match is actually fair and close.
    • A rematch could possibly end differently.
  • 40% - A match up that was so laggy that the outcome is unreportable.
  • 70% - A player who two stocks me without any issue.
  • 20% - A player I two stocked without any issue.
  • 10% - A player where the match is actually fair and close.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
This game has a much better online system, and if someone is truly making your experience awful by spamming, there's a report feature (although it really doesn't matter, just quit and find someone else). If you want good competitive play, find your nearest tournament, or join one online when the game comes out.
Whoa there, I'd be wary about abusing the report function on someone just because they're spamming. As a lot of the other posts have brought up, if someone loses to genuine mindless spam, that's their own fault and not the opponent's.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Yeah, I'm just not going to use my character's projectiles, so you can continue to approach me the exact same way you approach everyone else for the entire match :rolleyes: can't wait

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It may be unfun to go up against lame opponents but it is still up to you how you analyze and adapt to that kind of play. Some players use the same strategies because it works against most opponents so learn to use what those players aren't doing to counter that lame play.

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
So I haven't played with items on in years just to better myself at individual characters but I noticed a thing after playing smash for years. It also wasn't until For Glory that I noticed how many people just exploit the game on that mode. .I'm not even looking to be top dog I just love good matches. Even if I lose to a person who is good I continue to play the match because its entertaining and fun. What I don't like however is a person who just grab spams or projectile spams. No variety to their kit just spam to win. Grabbing and throwing into the same combo takes no skill btw. Just the same nonsense over and over. I don't mind losing I just hate how someone can take the fun out of a mode. I'm not saying the whole mode is ruined but this certainly is annoying
Eventually if you get good enough you'll easily be able to apply decent pressure on the opponent and be able to outspace them. they won't be able to exploit such cheesey strats on you.

D

Deleted member

You have to learn to adapt to your opponent. So, if you notice your opponent loves to spam projectiles, you gotta find that opening where they have used all their recources, then go in for the kill.

If you notice your opponent likes to roll, spot Dodge alot, adapt to it and punish accordingly. Unfortunately, online does "buff" certain characters in a way, so certain playstyles can be hard to deal with.

Honestly bro, just dont lose your cool, and try to adapt. If the opponent is laming you out, just find another opponent. And remember, its For Glory. Dont take it too seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I wonder how many kids have actually reported someone for "spamming" LOL

Top Bottom