• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Helped You Decide Your Main?

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
I've always picked my main depending on the game and how natural they feel for me to play, and from there I develop my play style with them.

It took me a while to figure out my main in Smash 4 just because of how huge the roster has become.

At first I mained :4jigglypuff:since I love Puff and use her as secondary in Melee. This didn't last long because unfortunately Jiggs just cannot win against competent opponents.

I then tried out :4bowserjr:since I love the :4ludwig:alt. I ditched him once I realised that winning meant essentially projectile spamming which I'm not very good at.

Around the time of the final DLC I liked using :4cloud:because of his excellent fluidity, but I soon dropped him and refused to use him again because he is overpowered. A win with Cloud does not feel like a real win.

I considered maining :4mario:momentarily, but I cannot get used to FLUDD over Mario Tornado (I main :luigimelee: in Melee and :drmario:/:mariomelee: to a lesser extent), even if it is a better tool for Mario's moveset.

I decided to try out :4yoshi:since he was the most appealing and colourful of the remaining Mario characters, and it just clicked. One of the fastest jabs, Egg Throw games, Ground Pound reads and the coolest meteor smash by miles make for a very appealing character.

:4peach:is my secondary because of her Turnip lock and float. Once you get used to a character with weirder air movement much like Yoshi's, a character like Peach just clicks in place.

It's definitely a case of choosing a character you can identify with, and then developing that character if you consider them viable.

So currently -

Mains: :4yoshi::4peach:
Low Tier Mains: :4drmario::4jigglypuff:

I also have what I like to call 'anti-mains'. In other words, these are characters that I will, never, ever, ever use. These will probably not come as a surprise to many people:
:4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin:

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Chose Lucario originally since he was my first main in Brawl (before Kirby). I love his design, and I felt like I could really sync with him. Plus aura makes you feel like a god at points.

I picked Kirby shortly afterwards, in part because I do love the character (favorite video game series), and I didn't want to seem like I was being carried by Lucario.

My Kirby was my first truly competitive main, so he got better pretty rapidly. I still keep Lucario around as a secondary, but my reasoning for sticking with Kirby is a bit more reasoned now - I kind of like having good frame data lol. Lucario is awesome, but I feel like (unlike Kirby) he forces people to approach him and box him in. From there, I don't feel like I have many options. Higher frame doesn't help either.

Comparatively, while Kirby forces people to run away, with the right copy ability (or a lead), I can keep the opponent trying to get in my face, and box them out in CQC. Additionally, Kirby has a pretty good disadvantage state. Because of multiple jumps, I feel like I always have some sort of option when trying to escape pressure. Lucario doesn't have that, so I often end up running into things with him.

On top of that, I enjoy doing long strings on fastfallers. Having started to play other fighting games, I learned quickly that I like characters with speedier frame data and a combo game. That's probably one of the reasons that Sheik is the only top tier character who appeals to me in this game. But Sheik can't kill, so RIP that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly, it was all dumb luck.

I mained :yoshi2: in the Brawl days. When I got Smash 4, I checked him out. He didn't change too much, and most of the changes were positives. I use him to this day.

Also, day 1 on SSB3ds's release, I was using random to mess around to see what characters I liked or not. I came across :4villager:. His playstyle is fun, and I use him.

Lastly, the DLC wave 2 dropped and I bought :4lucas: . You now the drill, I like the playstyle, and I still use him.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
The reason I chose zard as my main was pretty simple. The first smash game I owned was brawl. I immediately used pokemon trainer and never looked back, only issue was the three pokemon. I was great with ivysaur, good with zard, and below average to awful with squirtle. This typically meant I had to use two pokemon and switch when the third one came around.
You're probably thinking 'wait, if ivysaur was your best pokemon, shouldn't you have been mad that ivysaur wasn't in smash 4?' well that's just it. I was best with ivysaur but charizard was my favorite pokemon. I actually managed to (barely) beat all star mode on intense with zard (that took a LOT of retries). And I guess I liked him after in the anime at the Johto season too. When zard came out for Smash 4 I used him and didn't look back....even though it looks like I do much better with mewtwo.
I also use zard well, a lot better than other characters that I tried to secondary (Ludwig, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena), so all that went into it too. Granted I can only play online but that didn't stop me from playing it.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
At launch, I really didn't know who to use.
Wolf and Snake were gone, meaning my Brawl favorites were unavailable.

Just sorta looked around for awhile, before discovering Duck Hunt.
The dog's kit reminded me of Snake, and I picked him up pretty quick.
Continues to by my favorite the better part of three years later.

As for Robin, I spent so much time playing Awakening with a default avatar, that there's no way I couldn't have picked him.
Bonus points for the zoner-ish play style meshing well with what I like to do with Duck Hunt.

flamer180

Banned via Administration
I liked the feel of Ike, he was strong like a stick in the wind, and gentle like a febreeze weeze

Carressing on the sunday moon was his legs and strong were his biceps

I knew I encountered a GOD

And little mac on smash 4 is just bombay boy XDDD

Last edited:
Top Bottom