• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to the Single Nanner Lock?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It was such a big deal when it was first discovered. How come I have never seen anyone use it. I can only do it a couple times before I screw it up but the pros should be able to do it perfectly by now. Why doesn't anyone use this amazing chain?

Dekar173

Justice Man
It was such a big deal when it was first discovered. How come I have never seen anyone use it. I can only do it a couple times before I screw it up but the pros should be able to do it perfectly by now. Why doesn't anyone use this amazing chain?
I've used it a few times in MMs, but the main reasoning behind why it hasn't been seen in vids (I would assume) is because it's not thought to be used all of the time (hard initiation) as well as the fact that every single match isn't being recorded all of the time, silly goose :D

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Single Nanner lock comes in handy on stages like Battlefield. You have to short hop air grab the banana's anyways when they recoil onto the platform.

saberhof

Smash Master
the best way to start this is to banana lock them and wait for a roll then keep on going from there... i have done this :O..

only problem its that you have to be timed perfect for every drop :O

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I use it occasionally, either in spotdodge battles or in punishing peoples dash attacks.
wouldnt it be safer and easier to just glide toss down backwards or forwards?

i wanted to give this tech a shot but i found it way too situational :\

DFEAR

Smash Hero
for which situation?
like for the opponent to just be standing there :\ i can see where a spot dodge contest can benefit with this technique, i dunno i always feel like ill mess it up if i try it anyway .

Player-1

Smash Legend
like for the opponent to just be standing there :\ i can see where a spot dodge contest can benefit with this technique, i dunno i always feel like ill mess it up if i try it anyway .
well 1st off of course it's easier to do that, that's like saying what's easier? Regular thrown banana or GT thrown banana. 2nd off yes it isn't as safe, but neither is half the stuff people do. The question is, 'Is it worth the risk?' and 'Is it as practicable?' Risk wise it depends on what character and opponent etc. and the 2nd question it's only practicable if you are able to do the single naner lock consistently which you need practice to do it consistently and what better way to practice it than an actual match.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well 1st off of course it's easier to do that, that's like saying what's easier? Regular thrown banana or GT thrown banana. 2nd off yes it isn't as safe, but neither is half the stuff people do. The question is, 'Is it worth the risk?' and 'Is it as practicable?' Risk wise it depends on what character and opponent etc. and the 2nd question it's only practicable if you are able to do the single naner lock consistently which you need practice to do it consistently and what better way to practice it than an actual match.
agreed. lol i hope the reward is worth the risk :p

Player-1

Smash Legend
agreed. lol i hope the reward is worth the risk :p
Well it's character dependent to be honest. Let's say we're in a spotdodge battle with MK. MK's Dsmash comes out fast and has a fairly large hitbox compared to other Dsmashes, if you tried to SH then you'd probably just get dsmashed by it, but let's look a jiggly. Her dsmash isn't that great in range or in speed, actually jigglys don't use Dsmash in spotdodge battles that much i do believe. They either SH nair or just get out of it, but either way you won't get punished badly if you fail at it.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
would it be better to just do the lock then if u feel like ur messing up to just fair them away and reset the banana? because i have a bad habit of fairin them if i feel like they will somehow "sdi" the trip lol.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I want to eventually get this into my game. I get openings for this ALL the time so I don't know what people are talking about when they say its hard to get openings. Its hard to execute. To this day the most I have done it was against a CPU set to walk TWICE. Maybe I just suck at the timing. Meh. Eventually I want to get it down so I can infinite people, but I'm guessing the actual implementation of this technique won't occur for several years, similar to wobbling in Melee, discovered in like 2004, but not really used until 2007/late 2006.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I'm guessing the actual implementation of this technique won't occur for several years, similar to wobbling in Melee, discovered in like 2004, but not really used until 2007/late 2006.
unless we all do this...now. o-o

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dunno about u kaptain but im trying my hardest right now to accomplish this.

z catch to z down to z catch ftw :p

i can only get snake to half of finald then a dtilt> grab :\

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i use ac dair instead of z catch isnt z harder cuz you have to to fast fall at the same time

i usually practice on mk :p
yea but im use to it :]

and lol gotta practice on everyone dude its like ice climbers grabs...practicing on one character wont help at all, all timing is different and the angle of the throw is also different u might accidently make them trip in the other direction o-o

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sooooooo

I still don't know the exact way to do this, and so far have ONLY gotten it to occur twice (aka I hit them twice in a row...and on two seperate occasions) and I'm not completely sure if it was the true lock because it may have happened where the character rolled forward and I hit the 1st few frames of the roll where there are still hurt boxes. Shrug.

So in order, what is the exact way this is suppose to work best?

Also, I asked for this awhile ago, but could someone make a video of this occuring against a CPU set to WALK on training mode.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I can't make videos x.x.

I can only do it to the left. If I attempt to do it to the right, I get the same results as you, AZ; I do like two and they escape. I can't explain actually doing it more than...just doing it, lol. Let me go into training mode or something to try to see exactly how I do it.

I think we can ease into this, though. While the single banana lock is technically demanding in itself, some other things aren't, such as just a short hop to double-dthrow to stutter step Fsmash or Usmash for damage, or dthrow to fair, or anything. Short hop and full hop aerial approaches in general are worth investing time into. Some characters you'd have to do full hop aerial approaches, FF, and dthrow soon afterwards because they have good defensive solutions above them.

I've been trying to use these more, and they've been helping me notably against one matchup, DK (granted I haven't been doing them for a while). He has a large hurtbox, so it's much easier to hit him. This leads to edgeguarding him insanely easy; short or fullhopped dthrows as he tries to get back on the stage from the edge basically nullifies any attempt he can make. If he rolls or does an attack get up, he trips on the banana. If he tries to jump, the banana will hit him and you can fair to push him back off. I've kept a DK on the ledge for about 60% by doing this.

But yeah, there's a ton of potential here, and we need to stop being lazy and actually test out these locks.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
So in order, what is the exact way this is suppose to work best?
Banana in hand

Short Hop (above opponent) > Wait like a millisecond > C-Stick Down (Down Throw Banana) > QUICKLY C-Stick Down (Start a D-Air, which will initiate a Fast Fall and will catch the Banana; you will land with no lag) > IMMEDIATELY Short Hop (above opponent) > repeat

Note that each subsequent Short Hop you have to position yourself above the opponent such that the Banana will bounce straight up so that you can fall straight down with your Fast Falled D-Air to catch it. Also, you have to wait a little bit before the first throw so that you will initiate a Fast Fall with your D-Air; if you Down Throw the Banana immediately after the Short Hop, you won't Fast Fall the D-Air and will be stuck using an Auto-Cancelled D-Air instead of landing. It's hard as balls :psycho:

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
IT shouldnt be hard to set this up, just glidetoss a forward hitting the opponent, pickup the other 1 that would be in front of u from a setup... Then just start the lock

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well I got it to work on a CPU MK set to Walk while going left (seriously, why cant anyone do it to the right??)like 4-5 times in a row. Its just a matter of timing and practice. The thing is thats its a whole other story in a real match. I usually need a second to prepare myself before I start the lock but in a match, you cant take the time to do that. You have to be able to do it on reflex and it will take maybe years as AZ said before we can actually use this. But once we can, Diddy will be a force to be reckoned with :)

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure only the Dair works. It looked like Hylian was doing them too slow; the MK could have rolled away.

Oh, and I can do this quasi-consistently both ways, yay. Now I need to work on changing direction to make it an infinite.

This really isn't that difficult IMO (well I'm not sure about the turning around part); I don't find it more difficult to do than IC's chaingrabs. The difference is that ICs HAVE to learn how to CG and desynch to stand a viable chance at a tourney, while Diddy has options other than this, so people just naturally don't feel as inclined to learn and practice it.

Which is why I still think Diddy's can ease into it; short hop and full hop downthrow approaches have been working well and have a lot of followups, even if they hit the opponent's sheild.

Top Bottom