• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to Pokemon?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Link to original post: [drupal=1307]What happened to Pokemon?[/drupal]

I recall a few years back. It was a simpler time, a better time. When Johnny Bravo was the epitome of cool, and everyone you knew had Pogs. I loved games, and having handheld consoles would be amazing, I thought. Then I heard news of the Gameboy, and picked myself up a yellow Gameboy Color, and didn't know what to do with it. I one day stumbled upon a small wall filled with cartridges. This was back when stores didn't have those large walls with the 360, Wii, and PS3 games. There, I saw it. At the very top, on the far left was Pokemon: Yellow Version, with Pikachu striking a pose on the cover. I heard good things about this, and decided to convince my parents that my life depended on me getting this game. I spent days playing this because it was so addicting. I was on a boat in Vermillion one time, yeah, that's right. I was on a boat. I had to find the captain so I could learn cut because obviously, my character was too stupid to crawl under the bush. Whatever. To my dismay, Gary was right behind me, and I had easily lost my battle against him. It was so unexpected, I almost cried. He beat me because my Pikachu was so badly trained and it hated me. Jerk. I named it "butty", if I recall, so can you blame him? I lost the battle, and redid everything. All that hard work for nothing. But I didn't quit! I was determined to beat this game.

After spending a good deal of time staying up all night, I finally beat the game. I had possibly the greatest team ever made, and I was ready to take on the world. The Pokemon scene was pretty big back then, I played people at tournaments regularly, you might recognize some of the big names, I was one of them, actually. My Pikachu was said to be undefeatable, and I was most notably the only person with a Caterpie on my team.

So I ask you. Why did the original tournament scene die? D:
Why?!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm talking about the old scene. Why do people not play Yellow version any more?
I'll play you now, FC plz?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm actually playing some S4 League right now, so I can't Brawl.

If you want to play some first gen, there's always netbattle...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sorry, I don't do Pokemon Wi-fi. Too much lag.
Offline Yellow version only.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Because the new versions of the game vastly improve over the previous game's battle mechanics so much, that it would be preferable to just play that game. With Gen I's battling mechanics, only 14 Pokemon are considered even a decent option for use (a.k.a. OU/top tier). With each new generation of games, the mechanics got more balanced, opening up more options for people to use. Even those Pokemon in BL and UU tiers (High and Mid/Lower tiers respectively) see some use in the standard OU play I guess that's why Yellow doesn't get that much play. Also, offline Pokemon these days is like asking to play competitive Mario. You can do it, but, lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
1st gen battling was teh smex.

Well, so was Gen II.

For one, stat exp instead of EVs gave all Pokémon at least half a bit of resistance. I liked the durable Pokémon of the old days, not the Wall vs Sweeper fests we see now.

finalark

SNORLAX
Ah yes.... the original Pokemon. I remember that I got my copy of PKM Red when my friend accidentally got two copies of it for his birthday.

I never played Pokemon competitively, I remember that while I liked the originals I was just a little tyke when they came out. And for some reason my younger self found that playing the Pokemon TCG was a lot funner than playing the actual game. Weird.

And @ Teran. Yes, Gen II was teh smex as well.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
As much as I love the newer games for the sheer variety in competitive play and strategies, the little kid inside of me stays true to the old days. I have been replaying through my Yellow version lately. I miss the days when Chansey could double as a half decent sweeper because special attack and defense wasn't split yet..

But the downside to those games was really the fact that there was such little variation between teams. Most people's teams consisted of a special sweeper (like Alakazam or Starmie), a status spreader (like Exeggutor or Gengar), a tank, (pretty much Golem or Rhydon), a special wall (most likely Chansey), physical sweeper (like Persian or Tauros), and a spot to fill in with what you personally wanted (I always went Snorlax because he could fit most situations well). Other then that basic formula I never saw anything surprising. The game also had a lot of flaws. I think the most blatant being the ungodly power given to Psychic types. Their only weaknesses were often duo typed to get hurt by Psychics and they were just too good...

Gen II will always be my favorite though. Those games were so epic... My first victory on the elite 4 was because Lance's last Dragonite died from the confusion caused by thrash... Nothing has compared to that moment in Pokemon since.

D

Deleted member

I just bought Platinum this morning, and it just doesn't have the same charm as the older ones. I get flooded with memories every time I think about the old ones. I remember when I almost caught Mew and it killed itself by using Struggle. Being the idiot that I was I saved the game so I never did get Mew.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
I just bought Platinum this morning, and it just doesn't have the same charm as the older ones. I get flooded with memories every time I think about the old ones. I remember when I almost caught Mew and it killed itself by using Struggle. Being the idiot that I was I saved the game so I never did get Mew.
What kind of black magic did you use to encounter Mew?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I didn't know Platinum was out yet...when did it come out? Of course it doesn't matter to me since I had it back in September, but...

But yeah, my favorite is 2nd gen. I find it more fun in the battling aspect opposed to 1st gen.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
But the problem is, Mew can only be captured in the wild either in Gen I via the Mew glitch or in Emerald via the Old Sea Map, which was only distributed in Japan.

Personally, I think Gen IV's battle mechanics are likely the most balanced (it's just that the Pokemon aren't), but Gen II will always stand out to be the best games in the main series due to its great quality as a game. Of course not best Pokemon game overall. That title belongs to Trozei!

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Well, of course I have! I have most every single Pokemon resource at my fingertips. It's just that I'm skeptical is all. I mean, come on, it's lv. 7, how could you not catch it within 36 turns? XD

Denzi

Smash Master
This blog rocks for bring back memories of good 'ol Johnny Bravo :laugh:

Back in the first gen I just played to get through the game, battling/ training pokés for link battles was an alien concept back then.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about the old scene. Why do people not play Yellow version any more?
I'll play you now, FC plz?
People, or myself moreso, play newer versions when they come out, because they enjoy the idea of a new challenge. Once the game is 'solved', or there is a winning formula arising from the game, the game loses it's buzz. When the staples outnumber the strategies, a new game comes out, and it's time to be the one to come up with that winning strat, instead of googling a 'winning yellow team'

Not saying a fun playthrough of yellow isn't fun, because it is.

It lost its competitive tourney scene appeal when the newer games are dropped onto shelves, because there is room to discover what is good before anyone else, and to make that name for themselves that you described. It sure beats being that kid that stole that big name player's team idea because the games been out forever.

Also, pokemon are adorable.

Top Bottom