• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Okay that might not be a For Glory only thing but who had the idea to make Sonic (or any othe character) say ''That was almost too easy!'' (Or the same sort of thing) when the have one stock left at 150%. I become a living salt mine when this happens.
Reminds me how, when I win with Sonic against spammer (yes, I sometime plays in an alternate universe :awesome:), it's stupid that he says "Let's do that again sometime!". I mean... No. Just no. I don't want to play against a bad spammer again :laugh:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Lots of people seem to hate when people switch to your character, but for me it's the other way around.

I hate when I run into someone using one of my mains while I'm using a random character. I can't switch to their character/my main since it'll look like I'm just impersonating them.

I remember earlier this year I ran into a Wario that spammed bike while I used Luigi. I was really bad with Luigi at the time so I lost terribly while he spammed taunts. Next match I go Wario while he goes DK and wins easily. The way he beat me made it look like I never used Wario before and it was really embarrassing.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People who don't care about consistency in their results.

Lost 5 games? Won 1? Oh, you won 1 game when they finally swapped characters, you must be better than them, better quit before they beat you as that character, too!

It's just kind of ridiculous. I don't mind when people are naturally the type to swap and swap again, or quit after X amount of games, but when people take losing as the only factor as to if they should swap/quit or not, it's kinda pathetic. I've played against people who'll stick to a character, get a blatantly lucky win (*cough* Footstooling after whiffing d-air as captain Falcon twice. *cough*), then not swap only to get stomped and swap characters, just so they can get stomped again and quit.

Maybe if you just stuck to learning one character to be good as, you'd be better, people don't get that. -and yes you can argue "If you're so good you could beat me as any character! Stop only playing ___.", but then you have the flipside, which is "If you're so good, you'd be more confident of which character is your best, and you'd keep trying to beat me as them."... (Unless you're Nairo and go ham with Doc. Harr harr de harr harr.)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Lots of people seem to hate when people switch to your character, but for me it's the other way around.

I hate when I run into someone using one of my mains while I'm using a random character. I can't switch to their character/my main since it'll look like I'm just impersonating them.
Don't worry, because I have just about the same exact worries when I come across someone who plays as my main.

I tend to avoid that specific main, but eventually I feel like I have to switch to them especially when it's the best option I have at the moment. What I'll typically do is wait three rounds or so before making the switch despite how many times I've won or lost against them. I figure as long as it's not an immediate switch it doesn't make me come off as one of those players, or at least I really hope it doesn't.

But then again it is For Glory. Someone might find it offensive no matter how long I wait even if they switched to someone else long ago.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK

I remember earlier this year I ran into a Wario that spammed bike while I used Luigi. I was really bad with Luigi at the time so I lost terribly while he spammed taunts. Next match I go Wario while he goes DK and wins easily. The way he beat me made it look like I never used Wario before and it was really embarrassing.
This actually happen to me last night while I was playing :4feroy:on FG. I ran into this :4link:who clearly knew how to play him. Jab cancels, Z-drops, fake-out short hops, and his projectile play was nothing to laugh at either.

I beat him the first couple matches as :4feroy: but then he adapted to my play style and started steam rolling me pretty hard. Eventually I ended up switching to Link myself. We had about ten matches that were all fairly close but I only ended up beating him once as :4link:.

Though at the end of all of it he was a really nice guy, GG tags throughout the entirety of our matches and I learned quite a bit of things I'd never thought to do as a Link main.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I'll say it once, I'll say it again - people who know all the offensive options, but have no clue what defence is.

It's infuriating because this person has took time to learn the game, but not took time to accommodate for the fact that their offense could be beat with infuriatingly simple means like OoS grabbing.

Seriously, if you know every character's combos like the back of your hand, but have no clue about core defensive mechanics, you aren't gonna get anywhere. Get back in the lab, and come back when you've learned that rolling isn't your only defensive option.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
By far the most obnoxious thing I have ever seen someone do on FG was is 2v2. Guy joins the room, and plays as Kirby. Literally all he does is slowly walk towards the other team until he gets hit, then runs to the ledge and stones to his death as soon as he takes damage. It made the match entirely unplayable, which was too bad because all others involved were fun. It was so sad.

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
I had a guy target me in FFA for glory and if I was winning he'd take a hit from another player and SD on purpose just so I didn't win.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I absolutely love when there's so much input lag, you can press the button and actually count how many miliseconds it takes for the game to stop ignoring you~
I also love it when someone thinks they're hot **** just because they killed you in a lag spike and then proceed to spam taunts at you.

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
Why is LITERALLY everyone on For Glory overcompetitive, lame, and unwilling to play a second gesh damn mother frigging game?!!

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
unwilling to play a second gesh damn mother frigging game?!!
Some people like always facing different opponents, so they quit out of every match they play to search for another competitor. Atleast, that's what I do.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Some people like always facing different opponents, so they quit out of every match they play to search for another competitor. Atleast, that's what I do.
Still, I think it's more that people get fed up of losing one game for dumb reasons and not even having a second chance. I atleast try for a best of 3 unless it's really just not worth my time (Like people who literally don't recover.). Just slightly more consistent and gives you a good time to get used to an opponent and gauge them before you choose to move on or not.

That being said, people who treat consistently cheap/lucky victories as a grounds for quitting because they think you're bad just need to stop. Had atleast one player who blatantly accidentally footstooled me for 5 out of 6 stocks in the first 3 games, then just left because I lost 3 games - I wouldn't be too mad, but the guy treated it as if he meant to do them all on purpose (Taunting them all, etc.) when at least 2 were them trying to f-air as Mario and whiffing so bad that their second jump just so happened to start on my head.

I tend to count the amount of easy, good kills I've got - if I get average 1 per game, it tends to be a grounds for me to just straight up leave because my opponent isn't putting up enough of a challenge for me to enjoy the match (-and I suck at killing, so getting hard read KOd once per game is pretty embarrassing if you're against me. lol).

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Some people quit out because they're mad, others quit out because they think "u suck bcuz you lost 1 match", while others quit out looking for a new opponent. That's the thing, you can't know why they quit, you can just use logic to assume.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Some people quit out because they're mad, others quit out because they think "u suck bcuz you lost 1 match", while others quit out looking for a new opponent. That's the thing, you can't know why they quit, you can just use logic to assume.
That's true... -it's kinda why I wish there was more communication in games like this. -so many people bring a cocky attitude to FG that it's hard to tell when someone is just doing certain things for a laugh or if they genuinely try being disrespectful. A lot of the time I just assume the latter, because - to be fair - there's nothing particularly fun about spamming the down button or the same taunt button 2/3 times, etc.

That being said, I have a penchant for using taunts in FG and/or doing dumb crud (Bowser Bomb offstage, anyone?) so I feel if there was more communication I could just be like "Meh, I just like how taunts look and make a lot of mistakes" as opposed to coming across as a cocky jerk so there's that side of it, too.

In retrospect it just shows how toxic the community can be, since we all come to expect the worst. -and that's a shame.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
In retrospect it just shows how toxic the community can be, since we all come to expect the worst. -and that's a shame.
And that's the problem. For moments like that, it makes more wary of who I'm against instead of fighting everyone as I used to. But sometimes, I just forget at that, and go at it.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
And that's the problem. For moments like that, it makes more wary of who I'm against instead of fighting everyone as I used to. But sometimes, I just forget at that, and go at it.
Yeah, it can be pretty hard not to lose your temper with someone who does something as irritating as, say, taunting a footstool, but I've learned to really hold back on that stuff though and just control my temper - to be fair it's also actually upped my game since I don't just run clean into stupid stuff anymore in anger.

I just think of it from my own perspective. Would I have taunted that kill? etc.

Generally, the answer is no, because the question I'm asking is usually something like "Would I spam side-B as Mac then double taunt the opponent SDing while punishing with a Bowser Bomb too close to the edge?", but the point still stands, sometimes people do stuff that isn't all that annoying when I think about it, and I have to remember they have a temper and/or ego, too. -I ain't the only one. *shrug*

(That being said, if you're double taunting (and you're not doing it in style) and that kill wasn't amazing, get out of my game you filthy. filthy egomaniac. :v)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yeah, it can be pretty hard not to lose your temper with someone who does something as irritating as, say, taunting a footstool, but I've learned to really hold back on that stuff though and just control my temper - to be fair it's also actually upped my game since I don't just run clean into stupid stuff anymore in anger.

I just think of it from my own perspective. Would I have taunted that kill? etc.

Generally, the answer is no, because the question I'm asking is usually something like "Would I spam side-B as Mac then double taunt the opponent SDing while punishing with a Bowser Bomb too close to the edge?", but the point still stands, sometimes people do stuff that isn't all that annoying when I think about it, and I have to remember they have a temper and/or ego, too. -I ain't the only one. *shrug*

(That being said, if you're double taunting (and you're not doing it in style) and that kill wasn't amazing, get out of my game you filthy. filthy egomaniac. :v)
Pretty much. I might get a little offput by that, but then I started to think that if that's the highlight of someone's life, which already could be 'lower than low in a sense', then fine, whatever. Doesn't affect my life or anything.

:bowser:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Pretty much. I might get a little offput by that, but then I started to think that if that's the highlight of someone's life, which already could be 'lower than low in a sense', then fine, whatever. Doesn't affect my life or anything.

:bowser:
Yeah, TBH my reaction a lot of the time to stuff I get mad at is "OMG are you real? -that was awful, and you're double taunting it?". lol

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yeah, TBH my reaction a lot of the time to stuff I get mad at is "OMG are you real? -that was awful, and you're double taunting it?". lol
Even when I get called 'TR4SH', 'TOOEASY' 'FIGHTMORE!', and my favorite, 'SCRUB' I just shrug and think: Really? Is that necessary in a game online to show that you're superior in it and better than me overall...wow.

Is like, to me:

"Nice job...! You surely told me off...!"

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Even when I get called 'TR4SH', 'TOOEASY' 'FIGHTMORE!', and my favorite, 'SCRUB' I just shrug and think: Really? Is that necessary in a game online to show that you're superior in it and better than me overall...wow.

Is like, to me:

"Nice job...! You surely told me off...!"
Yeah, it's just kinda stupid that people take a FG seriously as a definitive show of skill at all. What makes it even funnier is that a good % of the cockiest people in FG usually have a really average win-rate and probably get trampled by anyone who is remotely tournament skilled. But then again, I find that's just the mentality of online gaming and anonymity. People can basically be jerks and get away with it.

Like, I've had people act like they somehow won by getting a single stock on me before. One guy playing Ryu around the time of his release actually SDd after taking one of my stocks. -twice. -then proceeded to flash the character box at me until the timer ran down and it kicked us into the game - then it was just instant CPU (I remember it BC I was literally busy typing to my BF about it as it was happening.).

I... Did I get rekt? I feel like I got rekt. I sure felt mentally wrecked after that level of confusion, that's for sure.
(Actually, that's a good point, I really hate when people think they're somehow superior to you even when the stats say otherwise and/or the conditions (like lag) were too horrible to really accurately measure it anyway. lol)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Or worse (or better, which side you look at it) they LEAVE when you actually congratulate them in a victory or a defeat. Like, yeah.

Can't take a win or losing as a proper player is vital when you play a videogame, more in Multiplayer titles and some just can't deal with that or go overboard. It truly is intriguing.

Yeah, it's just kinda stupid that people take a FG seriously as a definitive show of skill at all. What makes it even funnier is that a good % of the cockiest people in FG usually have a really average win-rate and probably get trampled by anyone who is remotely tournament skilled. But then again, I find that's just the mentality of online gaming and anonymity. People can basically be jerks and get away with it.

Like, I've had people act like they somehow won by getting a single stock on me before. One guy playing Ryu around the time of his release actually SDd after taking one of my stocks. -twice. -then proceeded to flash the character box at me until the timer ran down and it kicked us into the game - then it was just instant CPU (I remember it BC I was literally busy typing to my BF about it as it was happening.).

I... Did I get rekt? I feel like I got rekt. I sure felt mentally wrecked after that level of confusion, that's for sure.
(Actually, that's a good point, I really hate when people think they're somehow superior to you even when the stats say otherwise and/or the conditions (like lag) were too horrible to really accurately measure it anyway. lol)
FG is truly flwed like that. It doesn't say if its good or bad of oneself, it is just to play with other people online. It has the count of wins/lose ratio for a reason. To take on the count of how many times you played at that. Not a qualifying battle for a tourney or something. :facepalm:

There are many factors to consider like you said. Lag. Input. Weariness. Time of Day. Etc. It is nothing to consider end of the world by called like that, but the fact that people do it, is impressive.

:ohwell:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
When something goes wrong--lag, a misinput, something of that type--and you SD...and they taunt to rub it in your face. Especially if they taunt multiple times.

It's one thing if it's local multiplayer and your friend's right there to laugh or swear revenge or whack you for it, but doing it online where they know you can't respond is low.

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
FG is a awesome spot to find lots of players at various levels without needing to do more than three to four presses of the A button. Some people on there are good players who are playing for either fun or a means of training. Then you have..."those" players who love to troll and act like idiots. Ignore "those" players and its a alright mode to break the boredom.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I know that this is pretty much unavoidable, but people using the DLC characters online THE DAY THEY ARE RELEASED, and failing miserably.
Go to training mode first, then go online. I played a couple of matches where I was the only one, or one out if two people who wasn't using Cloud last night.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
In all honesty, as much as it's frustrating to fight dozen of people not knowing how to play a character, Cloud in this case, I can't blame them: training against the CPU is frustrating, unless you like frame perfect opponents.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Oh well, for people that fight against them, it'll serve as training to KNOW how to deal with them. I'M SURE I''LL DO THAT against Bayonetta since she's very ZSS-esque and I have some problems to deal and LEARN MORE against her so that's going to be a ride to behold, indeed...

:bowser:-

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
Cloud, but for the opposite reason.
Everybody told me this was a real challenge, yet this sums up about every matches with Cloud.

C'mon. Cloud's terrible. He has even less horizontal recovery than Mac.​

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Wow. I had my doubts with Cloud being that powerful, but now that I'm looking at him, yeah. His recovery may make him Little Mac 2.0. (Or Shulk 2.0 minus the Jump ability...)

Yeah...

:dazwa:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
When you try to do something stupid on purpose but they never catch on to what you're doing.

Like, if for the whole match all I did was grab and pummel once constantly, would you think I was serious? But only one in every fifteen or so catch on, others continue their aggro kicks of fury.

I get it if you don't like people who do this, but lighten up, you have nothing to prove.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
TBH everyone talking about Cloud like "wanting to learn Cloud" is an excuse for doing bad in FG... I dunno... I've only lost to one Cloud player so far, and he was just good. He knew what tools to just naturally use when and where (Not just as Cloud, mind.). He pressured me into attacking by charging his limit break, punished me when I didn't with blade beam, beat my dashes with his own, etc. just generally knew what tools were good with a character like Cloud. Really made use of his more lingering hitboxes too. (Didn't matter about his recovery either. You can play some real mindgames with Limit Break charging that means you can be sent flying, charge it mid-air then jump and use the improved one to recover. Things like that show a player who knows what they're doing.)

I think losing because of Cloud is a poor excuse, it takes 10 minutes to get a good grip of what tools might work or not in practice mode, and a few games of FG when you're used to the character's hitboxes and speed/weight will help you really nail the little extras. It was the same deal with Lucas/Mewtwo for me, I didn't jump right into FG, I labbed them for a short while first (Infact, I went straight for their trophies for beating Classic/All-Star after that. lol), and it showed.

I just think a lot of people are just literally throwing Cloud into FG and not actually paying attention to what tools he has to offer, so he just becomes a blank slate reliant on frame/hitbox data to be good to those players. They're the same sort of people who fail to recover as Mac at 30% because they just refuse to not make the most of his double jump and limited recovery tools. You know the ones, they double jump then instantly side-B back and fall short by like a mile? Yeah, that happens a lot with Cloud, too.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Makes sense. I don't doubt that there ARE GOOD Cloud players, is the fact that since he is so recent, he'll be used for the novely and coolness of the situation.

But I believe that will change in due time. (Or until, and will happen too, with :4corrin: and :4bayonetta:)

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Decided to play For Glory for the fist time in a month. Glad to know its the same cesspool that it always has been.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Captain Falcons specifically make me angry. When a CF wins from me SDing and taunts, "Come on!", "Show your moves!" then continuously crouches on the floor... I just... ugh.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
The major thing that annoy me is people who let the timer run down (or almost run down) at the victory screen and character select. There is no reason at all to sit on the victory screen that long, really no more than 3-5 seconds at most should be spent there. By this point character wise you should know just about everyone you want to use so it shouldn't be some arduous task to pick someone. There is no reason whatsoever to let the timer run down like that.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
The major thing that annoy me is people who let the timer run down (or almost run down) at the victory screen and character select. There is no reason at all to sit on the victory screen that long, really no more than 3-5 seconds at most should be spent there. By this point character wise you should know just about everyone you want to use so it shouldn't be some arduous task to pick someone. There is no reason whatsoever to let the timer run down like that.
You say that but I see this one as a weird one anyway. Me and my friend have a bad habit of checking Twitter or some other jazz between 2v2 match breaks and stuff so sometimes we'll select our characters and just be on the character select screen until it times out by accident. I mean, sure, it's kind of ignorant, but I've had weird situations where IRL I've ended up waiting at the select screen for near the whole time, accepted, and then quit at the training phase because I've been instantly pulled away from the game.

You're allowed to get mad if the person is doing it blatantly (Flashing the screen at you, generally being disrespectful anyway, etc.), but I think a good amount of the time you've just gotta give people the benefit of the doubt. Trust me, if I could count the number of times I was typing on here just to go "Oh crap! That's right, I was playing FG!" and jump back to the game, it would be too many. lol :facepalm:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Cloud, but for the opposite reason.
Everybody told me this was a real challenge, yet this sums up about every matches with Cloud.

C'mon. Cloud's terrible. He has even less horizontal recovery than Mac.​
To be fair, this is with vanilla Climhazzard. Limit-Broken Clim could have taken away that player's horizontal recovery deficit if you didn't spike them beforehand.

Top Bottom