• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
What kinda bugs me but not much is when someone uses the predictable combos you cant escape from. Ie luigi down throw fair fair, though in luigi's case you actually need to pull off the grab so thats not as aggravating.

The worst for me is when someone SD's so you SD to be fair, but then later on fighting them, you SD and they just sit there, especially at the beginning of matches when the SD is due to something like lag. I usually quit the match and take the ban, its just not worth it

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
When Toon Links go 'boomerang arrow bomb arrow boomerang bomb bomb arrow boomerang arrow arrow bomb boomerang boomerang bomb arrow bomb arrow bomb arrow arrow boomerang.......'

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The worst for me is when someone SD's so you SD to be fair, but then later on fighting them, you SD and they just sit there, especially at the beginning of matches when the SD is due to something like lag. I usually quit the match and take the ban, its just not worth it
What's so bad about that? If you already SD due to lag and planning to do it again, why should the opponent have to do the same? It's not a race of "Let's see who SD's his/her two stocks first" you know.

abx

Smash Journeyman
What he mans is that some players SD themselves out of courtesy when for example the other SD'd due to a very stupid mistake which was rather obviously caused by lag. Because elsewise it would be taking advantage of a technical issue (i.e. lag) and it's a sign of sportsmanship to offer some relief even if you don't have to. Sometimes people do it when the other makes a really blatant mistake, but that's pure goodwill.

Now when you do this, SDing out of courtesy, it hurts to see that the other doesn't return the favour even if it were called for. They even might get pricky about your mistake and taunt/crouch.

Another thing is taunting: They KO you and taunt and somehow you end up in a position in which you could land an attack while they're tauting but then you don't and wait. It stings to see when they exploit your taunt recklessly later.

Those have the right to do that, but it's easy to understand that some peple don't enjoy playing against such dogged, hard-trying people.

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
Ugh. I can't stress enough how much I hate when somebody wins due to me messing up, they taunt, and leave after only one match. :/

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
It is so irritating seeing a Wario (I hate him with a passion since I was a kid lol).

Bike spam makes me hate him even more. -__-

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. I can't stress enough how much I hate when somebody wins due to me messing up, they taunt, and leave after only one match. :/
Why would anyone want to fight a Sonic for more than one game? It's like getting dental surgery twice.

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
Why would anyone want to fight a Sonic for more than one game? It's like getting dental surgery twice.
He was using a Rosalina. Lol

Really good too. I was pretty excited. Lol

I always like a challenge.

But still kinda sucks. Lol

Plus, we learn the match up?? Idk.

Last edited:

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
The worst thing ever is when the guy killed me with style, so when I'm back I taunt to say "gg", and the guy charge a smash and destroy me at the end of the taunt ><

JNET

Smash Cadet
NNID
Traeks
These days I pretty much always leave after any match with a Sonic/Olimar regardless of win/loss. Their playstyles are always the same, and I always find them incredibly boring to play.

What truly grinds my gears is watching my attacks go quite literally through people and not achieving a hit. Most notably Pikachu.. but can often happen on Olimar/Luigi I notice. Just yesterday I cried manly, salty tears watching my Falcon punch hard read KO get nothing off a Pikachu as even the wings were within their character. It truly blows my mind every time it happens.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I feel like garbage, I left the game for 2 days and now I forgot everything.

This applies to all fighting games, what also grinds my gears is somehow forgetting everything you learned about the game after leaving it for a few days.

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Spamus. Damn you, Spamus!

What's so bad about that? If you already SD due to lag and planning to do it again, why should the opponent have to do the same? It's not a race of "Let's see who SD's his/her two stocks first" you know.
Nah, I'm sorta with KryoChao on this one. If you SD by accident or due to lag and your opponent SD's just to make it fair on you, then that's awesome and it warms my heart. Sure there's no obligation per say, but it's nice when people try to play nice when it comes to whoopsies like that. We all make mistakes and while it might be "fair" to have to pay for it (especially in FG), having an opponent who's willing to let it slide says a lot about the person you're fighting.

I don't malign people who don't SD back, but it is lovely when they do. I do hate it when you SD and they taunt you though; then it's gloves off.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
My opinions on SD courtesy are somewhat mixed.

On one hand, if the SD was due to either a temporary spike in lag or a blunder by the player that just happened to occur, then I might decide to SD as well, especially if I know that their character's recovery requires a good bit of precision to be successful and/or I know that the player is normally very good at recovering from that distance.

On the other hand, if my opponent was already close to being KOed or if they were in a position that is already extremely difficult to recover from naturally. In the first reason, if an Ike player messes up their up b recovery because they were facing away from the ledge, but they were already at 100% damage, I probably won't SD simply due to them already being close to getting KOed. The second reason tends to be pretty subjective, and as such tends to change case by case. For example, if Zelda is trying to recover from under the stage, which is already very difficult for her to recover from, and they end up missing the ledge and SDing, then I generally won't SD as well.

It generally doesn't bother me either way whether or not my opponent decides to take their own stock when I accidentally SD. While it is nice to know that my opponent is kind enough to want to play on even grounds, I won't hold it against them if they decide not to take their own stock.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
As a pika main fighting sonic is very intense, as a villager main...GET ME OUTTA HERE D:

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
I honestly hate it when i go against people who spam side-dodging and punish with overly-powerful attacks (depending on the character) which gets me cranked up angrily. They just need to hold up their shields, spot-dodge and air-dodge more, aswell as be more offensive than stupidly defensive.

I'm looking at you spammy toon links, stop your rolls and your boomerangatangs.

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
These days I pretty much always leave after any match with a Sonic/Olimar regardless of win/loss. Their playstyles are always the same, and I always find them incredibly boring to play.

What truly grinds my gears is watching my attacks go quite literally through people and not achieving a hit. Most notably Pikachu.. but can often happen on Olimar/Luigi I notice. Just yesterday I cried manly, salty tears watching my Falcon punch hard read KO get nothing off a Pikachu as even the wings were within their character. It truly blows my mind every time it happens.
I have been noticing this too. Whenever I use my Falcon against Pikachu, Kirby, Jigglypuff, or anybody I can go flat for that matter I tend to miss my attacks. Especially my down smash, and my grab.

It's quite irritating.

As for Sonic playing the same, I agree. Most of them don't really know his potential. They just tend to spam side B and that's about it. To me it's not really boring as much of that is just predictable.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
As for Sonic playing the same, I agree. Most of them don't really know his potential. They just tend to spam side B and that's about it. To me it's not really boring as much of that is just predictable.
I myself can get pretty confused with the special moves whenever i try to pick up Sonic, so maybe it's the same with the noobs who spam only one special... But yeah, many sonic players should spice it up some more. But trust me, roly-poly toon links are worse.

Last edited:

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
It is so irritating seeing a Wario (I hate him with a passion since I was a kid lol).

Bike spam makes me hate him even more. -__-
Villager is the best counter to wario imo

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I do this specifically for the angry messages I get from it.

Specially since Fox can usually get three taunts in before the game closes for the triple-taunt SD punish. So tasty.

SmashDoctor

Smash Rookie
As a Sonic main, I really hate the Lylat Cruise omega form. If you're not careful, you can get caught under the stage due to its shape with Sonic's up B. Also, LAG. Input lag, to be exact. I hate it when I can't combo someone because of a half-second input delay. Any time I get input lag, I just scuicide and exit 1 on 1.

Last edited:

Princess_Emilu

Smash Cadet
I've come to hate two things above all else.

1. People who do NOTHING after they take a stock from me. Taunt, run around, tea-bag, etc... but doing nothing really irks. me.

2. I lose a really close match, like its a really close match... and the other person leaves. What, no rematch?

OR, I get rekt the first match, I switch characters my second match, they get rekt, then they quit.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078

1. People who do NOTHING after they take a stock from me. Taunt, run around, tea-bag, etc... but doing nothing really irks. me.
This is interesting. I generally do nothing specifically because I don't want to rub it in and annoy the other person...

Princess_Emilu

Smash Cadet
This is interesting. I generally do nothing specifically because I don't want to rub it in and annoy the other person...
I totally understand that, I guess to me it more signals that I'm not worth the effort to them or something.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I totally understand that, I guess to me it more signals that I'm not worth the effort to them or something.
Not necessarily. That can be seen as a sign of a more defense-oriented player. If they prefer playing that way, then they wouldn't want to move around and attack after scoring a KO unless they wanted to reposition themselves.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy

I'm the biggest offender of this. I actually came to this thread to say getting taunted over and over by someone who is barely beating you over and over again, so I guess between the two of us we hate everyone.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Overly campy play like staying on one side of the stage the entire game, sometimes its just too much for me.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
I can't say anything much annoys me on FG. Over 4k matches in currently and still going strong! I guess I am annoyed by sonic, the repetetive attack patterns make the matches boring. I know how to beat spindash now but still I kind of like being able to rush in and short hop fast fall + followup combo my enemy to death, not wait with a shield for them to spin me and counter attack.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I can't say anything much annoys me on FG. Over 4k matches in currently and still going strong! I guess I am annoyed by sonic, the repetetive attack patterns make the matches boring. I know how to beat spindash now but still I kind of like being able to rush in and short hop fast fall + followup combo my enemy to death, not wait with a shield for them to spin me and counter attack.
4k?

Man I think I just recently broke 600.

coolhandluc

Smash Rookie
That half a second input lag that always seems to be there regardless of where I'm playing from.

theGIANT

Smash Rookie
I'm going to include my own personal list of pet peeves but afterwards I'll include how I tend to cope with them. I try not to let things get to me and video games is no exception.

The Peeves
  1. Spammers. Especially Link and Toon Link. Typical bomb/arrow/boomerang spam that I'm sure we're all familiar with followed by a well-timed smash or grab when you're close. I'm not saying it's cheap or anything - just annoying to deal with and not fun to fight against. I'm willing to fight against kinds of players in order to get better and best the tactic but the ones that really get me are the players who force you to approach.
  2. Taunt spammers. I don't mind being taunted after a KO. Hell even if I SD and they taunt it doesn't bother me. But if you taunt more than once in a row that's just downright disrespectful. Also spamming duck over and over is equally annoying. Unless you're Kirby or Puff... then it's adorable.
  3. Copying my character. I've found this a lot with people who I'm losing multiple matches against. I'm the kind of person who doesn't give up so I'll keep fighting them with my main over and over in order to improve. What irks me though is when they switch from their main to my main (it becomes obvious when the first 7 matches have been the same match-up). It really just feels like they're saying "Haha, look! I can even beat you with your own character!" and that's pretty rude if you ask me. I generally leave afterwards. I even had someone do this who I was beating! I beat them 3 times in a row with Falcon VS Mario and then they switched to Falcon as well and beat me because (quite frankly) I got cocky and tried to off stage falcon punch them way too far and then they just left. Which brings me to number 4...
  4. People who leave at "convenient" times. I think you all know what I mean but to clarify: when you've been winning match after match and suddenly they win one and then leave. Or conversely you've been losing a lot and you finally win one (or come close to winning one) and they just leave. Or they leave after beating you the first match like you aren't worth their time or something. I generally like to give the other person a "best of 3" before leaving (which I rarely even do).
Coping Methods
  1. Spammers. Remember that there would/will be spammers at a tournament and it's just something you have to be prepared to deal with. Any spamming tactic can be beaten and you're a much better player if you can overcome it.
  2. Taunt spammers. They're just playing mind games. Trying to anger you so that you're less focused on the fight. Spamming taunt back is not a good tactic as you're just stooping to their level and it will likely make them think that they've gotten to you. If you can stay calm, make a comeback and beat them without spamming taunt that is the most surefire way to get to them.
  3. Copying my character. Accept the challenge. They think they can beat your main. Prove to them your main is yours for a reason. They don't get to just choose any character and except to beat you. They have to be at their best to fight your best. Take the opportunity to learn from them as well. Maybe they'll do something with your character you never knew about.
  4. People who leave at "convenient" times. **** happens. They may have to get off right at that moment for any number of reasons. Emergency bathroom break, chores to be done, kids to be taken care of, horny spouse to be appeased, dog to be let out, etc. There are literally a hundred different reasons someone could have for having to leave at any given moment and to assume it's entirely because of the last match you had with them is very narrow-minded.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
2. Taunt spammers. I don't mind being taunted after a KO. Hell even if I SD and they taunt it doesn't bother me. But if you taunt more than once in a row that's just downright disrespectful.
I couldn't agree more. I mentioned this here a while ago and was effectively told to get over myself, but it doesn't change the fact that if you taunt more than once you instantly become a sub-human to me.

Also, the ledge-snapping mechanics in smash 4 annoys me. You can be twelve miles from the ledge and facing the wrong way and you just snap right onto it, it's ridiculous.

And once more, an honourary mention for Spamus. Link and Toon are annoying, but at least their projectiles can't actually kill you...

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
People who taunt after I gentleman stock are the worst. I try to be nice and then they act like they did all the work in KOing me. I did a 0 to death on a person and he could've recovered but fell short and I gentleman stocked. He then proceeds to taunt 2 times and act like he did something. I was so pissed for the rest of the day. Also when people use fox and spam the laser. I know it doesn't do knock back, but when I don't use someone like Fox or Mario who can shine and reflect, I'm kinda screwed.

SewenNewes

Smash Rookie
NNID
wikestar
Is there a guide anywhere of all the stupid flowcharts people use on FG and how to counter them consistently? I just can't figure some of them out with the input delay online. Maybe the people I play in person just suck at the Sonic spindash flowchart but it never works on me offline. Online it just seems impossible to stop. It's so annoying that Sm4sh's engine and the FD-only aspect make these people able to win above their skill level. Universally when I get through their spam they don't have a response because their fundamentals are weak but in Sm4sh that never amounts to a stock unless the skill gap is so disparate that I can gimp them. So I get through, rack up some damage but then they get to start The flowchart again. Over the course of a two stock match they usually catch you enough times to win.

Rapidkirby3k

"Let's Go!"
NNID
Rapidkirby3k
Switch FC
0884-6756-7584
For right now, and this applies to me playing with friends as well, it's usually when I have several bad reads and intermediate reflexes that put me in a losing position, especially when attempting a 'Meteor Smash' past the edge. After all, I have so much to learn in Smash...

And speaking of taunt spammers, that's actually another annoying habit I need to kick. I'm used to taunting when I hit someone with high damage, but reading the replies about it being very irritating here, I should really save some taunts only for the actual win in 'Stock' mode.

Last edited:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Mirrors matches....gets one lucky hit due to Sudden lag spike or me messing up,they win,taunt and leave immediately.

Princess_Emilu

Smash Cadet
People who leave at "convenient" times. I think you all know what I mean but to clarify: when you've been winning match after match and suddenly they win one and then leave. Or conversely you've been losing a lot and you finally win one (or come close to winning one) and they just leave. Or they leave after beating you the first match like you aren't worth their time or something. I generally like to give the other person a "best of 3" before leaving (which I rarely even do).
Hey, somebody else echoing my sentiments!

Side note, ive noticed that japanese players 99% of the time do not go for a second match, they leave after one. Win, Lose, Close Match or Blowout, they leave instantly after a match- even lag-free matches, which most are.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
It bothers a little me when I see :4sonic: players who spam Spin Dash. It's insulting to Sonic mains everywhere. (Although it sets up our main combos, good Sonic players can do more than just Side + B!)
Other than that, I guess lag bugs me a little.

Top Bottom