• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Lag. Just lag. I could deal with just about anything else, but lag makes FG unplayable in my eyes. In really bad cases, it can drop inputs. If you try to correct for that, you'll start doing the same input twice, which can be really bad if you roll. I've had it change inputs. Somehow it interpreted an ftilt as a neutral b. Once, I tried to charge a smash with the C-stick and I just kept doing jab 1 over and over for 5 seconds.

I don't claim to be a great smasher, but I'm way better than I look on FG. No, I'm not paying $20 for a wired LAN connection when the console should have shipped with a RJ-45 port. Smash 4 should check your ping stats before letting you connect with someone.

Last edited:

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
Alright. After a couple of matches yesterday, all I can say is **** Captain Falcon and Luigi.
Those two ****ers keep on giving me hell with their ****ing dash grab combos.
Captain Falcon's keep on using their annoying *** dash grab to D-Throw and then U-Air and it get very annoying.
Luigi's also keep using that ****ing D-Throw to F-Air combo while also using that annoying Luigi Cyclone.
To all the users who main those I mentioned, I DECLAR WAR!
...Man it felt good releasing my rage in this comment.
Both of them are my WiiU mains. Lel.

Part of your rage is that you're too salty to gey hit by such stylish moves like the knee, the shoryuken, the missfire, falcon punch, and more. What's funny is that I can only play zoning characters on the 3ds, the complete opposite playstyle.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Warning Received
Input lag, I ****ing hate it!

Mod edit: Please don't censor dodge. Just let the censor do it's job.

~Venus

Last edited by a moderator:

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Feeling like I always have to play pub stompy characters because I can't get my punishes online.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
The lag for one. I feel so much more fluid in that practice before the match starts a lot

also Shulk's counter move.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
The fact that I can spend ages getting Ganon or Ike up to 150% (I play TL and Kirby), only to be side smashed at 55% and consequently lose. But you know, them's the breaks when you play a light character. I don't mind it really.

But what I truly can't stand is arrogance, both in life and smash. I'm a pretty chill guy most of the time (I do hate losing but I get over it pretty fast. I'm a mediocre player at best so I'm used to it, after all!). But arrogance just grinds my gears.
The other day I played this japanese Mario and he whomped me- it was like he was everywhere. Frankly it was incredible. I was a bit annoyed but mostly amazed at his skill when I lost my first stock- and then he taunted twice in a row.

All appreciation was forgotten. A smoky red haze of pure rage descended upon my being as I imagined him lounging there, with his head slightly cocked and one leg thrown over the leather armrest of his wingback chair, smugly surveying his screen and gently depressing his D-pad twice with slim, manicured fingers. "Yeah, that's right, I'm better than you. Waay better. Stick to your day job, kid."
Enveloped by paroxysms of fury I rematched him again and again, nearly winning a couple of times but never quite cinching it. And every time he robbed me of a stock it was the same thing- Mario would take off his stupid hat and do that stupid twirl and softly utter those gentle, mocking words: "hoohoo".

Twice.

I've genuinely never been so angry in my entire life. If he was in front of me I would've attacked him. Maybe it's childish, but a single taunt is fair enough- you did trample me after all. But two is another level. A level of aggressive cockiness that jams itself in your face, clamoring for you to examine your own failure in excruciating detail. It's more than a taunt, it's an assault on your self-worth, and in my eyes an unforgivable slur in my version of "Smash etiquette".

Everybody has that little tic I suppose, and it turns out that that is mine.

Also, I have a bit of a thing about honour. If someone kills themselves by accident I'll always do the same so we're back on equal footing. Mostly people will give a little thankyou taunt or a few bops and I'll return it, and then we can start fighting again in earnest. But sometimes people will just take advantage, and that makes me sad.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Das creepy. My problem with Smash Etiquette in general is the lack of a consensus. It's not like holding the door (common sense and parental teaching) or a fancy dinner (where the rules are so understood there are literally manuals for that).

Some people get mad if you don't open the match on taunt, but then you don't know if that's who you're fighting or not so you lack the luxury of waiting and seeing against a fast or strong projectile character if you have a good opener.

Taunts in general are confusing. Some people consider them a matter of course. Others a friendly gesture. Still others believe they're a john, and others still think they have to be earned through play scenarios. And now apparently we've got this new two-taunt rule?

Yeah, no. Anyone touting an etiquette for this game needs to get over themselves. The only true etiquette is the actual sportsmanship at play. Shaking hands, good games, having self-control over salt. That's etiquette. But no one owes anyone a specific arrangements, or avoidance, of the d-pad taunts. I come from hundreds of hours of TF2 funnily enough, so this behavior especially baffles me for rather obvious reasons.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Das creepy. My problem with Smash Etiquette in general is the lack of a consensus. It's not like holding the door (common sense and parental teaching) or a fancy dinner (where the rules are so understood there are literally manuals for that).

Some people get mad if you don't open the match on taunt, but then you don't know if that's who you're fighting or not so you lack the luxury of waiting and seeing against a fast or strong projectile character if you have a good opener.

Taunts in general are confusing. Some people consider them a matter of course. Others a friendly gesture. Still others believe they're a john, and others still think they have to be earned through play scenarios. And now apparently we've got this new two-taunt rule?

Yeah, no. Anyone touting an etiquette for this game needs to get over themselves. The only true etiquette is the actual sportsmanship at play. Shaking hands, good games, having self-control over salt. That's etiquette. But no one owes anyone a specific arrangements, or avoidance, of the d-pad taunts. I come from hundreds of hours of TF2 funnily enough, so this behavior especially baffles me for rather obvious reasons.
Oh yeah, I don't claim that my rage was in any way reasonable. The double taunt just got to me for some petty reason.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Alright. After a couple of matches yesterday, all I can say is **** Captain Falcon and Luigi.
Those two ****ers keep on giving me hell with their ****ing dash grab combos.
Captain Falcon's keep on using their annoying *** dash grab to D-Throw and then U-Air and it get very annoying.
Luigi's also keep using that ****ing D-Throw to F-Air combo while also using that annoying Luigi Cyclone.
To all the users who main those I mentioned, I DECLAR WAR!
...Man it felt good releasing my rage in this comment.
I learned mashing jab trolls these dash grab spammers

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
When I accidentally die BY MY OWN HAND THE OPPONENT TAUNTS ANYWAYS, THINKING THEY'RE SUPER ULTRA 1337 PRO OR SOME BULLCRAP, WTF.

Last edited:

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
When I accidentally die BY MY OWN HAND THE OPPONENT TAUNTS ANYWAYS, THINKING THEY"RE SUPER ULTRA 1337 PRO OR SOME BULLCRAP, WTF.
I also hate when people taunt you when you die by SD or something on your first stock and their at like 90% on their last stock and they STILL taunt. It really makes no sense.

Last edited:

exhaustedGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
exhaustedGam3r
The input lag makes FG absolutely unplayable and makes me look like trash. I decided I would give it ONE more go after having several good matches at a local place. Got in a match with a Sheik, found I had to press my air dodge a second before the actual hit and just SD'd twice and will NEVER look back. It's absolute **** and I refuse to deal with it.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
People that Taunt Spam matches, just wastes time.

Not being able to practice my characters on multiple platform stages.

MrGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrGuyu
When you're opponent does nothing but run away and throw occasional attacks.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
When you're opponent does nothing but run away and throw occasional attacks.
Same here. I have come across some matches where everyone else just stands around and occasionally moves around, I go online to fight more people not dance around.

MrGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrGuyu
Same here. I have come across some matches where everyone else just stands around and occasionally moves around, I go online to fight more people not dance around.
Fact. Like it doesn't happen to me ALL the time, but there are those types of players out there.

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
The Little Mac players that actually KNOW what they want to do. I can usually shrug off the character with throws and gimp him easy, but when people come along that actually play the character well I'm stumped.

A couple more things. LAG. Especially input lag. I pray that it isn't my connection, because it's like a 50/50 chance of stable match and a match where even if I flick the c-stick for a smash attack, I get a jab.

Last thing is Diddy. But there's already a whole 'nother thread for that, and I'm sure whatever I have to say has already been said too, so nevermind. I will one day overcome Mac & Diddy, but until then, the salt still be with me.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I once played a guy who purposefully tried to take every match to sudden death. It was awful.

Last edited:

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
The lag. I gave up on my win ratio and just suicide at any sign of a laggy session. There's no point to fighting in a laggy match, you don't learn anything, it favors specific characters over others, and its just plain not fun.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
When you run into someone it's clear is better than you and can help with your weaknesses but it lags too bad to play.

I think this makes me angrier than anything in this thread.

Maginot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2981-8431-1413
People leaving after winning/losing one match against me. 5 times in a row.
Yeah, especially when they're cocky. I lost to a Fox once (who taunted me), and his gamer tag comment was, "Who's next?".

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
The lag. I gave up on my win ratio and just suicide at any sign of a laggy session. There's no point to fighting in a laggy match, you don't learn anything, it favors specific characters over others, and its just plain not fun.
Agreed. We all came to play a decent match of online. Not Brawl. I don't even give a **** if the game times me out for lag because I'd rather be doing anything else that isn't sitting there waiting for a slow asshole's wireless connection to finish.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Input lag is the standard annoyance for me, but I've gotten over it. Lately I've been getting irritated though with C. Falcons and their ridiculous thirst for the spikes. It's kinda funny to me because most people will just blindly go for it, fast-fall and SD or just miss it completely. It's whatever, I guess.

TheDerek

Smash Rookie
Spamming the spindash :4sonic:

Taunt Before a match :4falcon:

and Leaving after one match :4littlemac:
I taunt before a match in specific situations: I'm Falcon, and opponent is Ness, so I down taunt, expect Ness to say "ok"

Also every Falcon ditto I open with taunt unless I'm facing a pink Falcon - then its straight into approach.

... also I taunt with DK at slow motion end of each match just so it pauses with DK giving the shrug.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
People camping the ledge against Little Mac.
Lag.
People who taunt after every kill. Especially people who taunt even though they didn't actually get a good KO, they just spammed buttons until I slip up.

FruitNukes

Smash Rookie
Honestly, for me, it would have to be the shaky connection I experience. However, nothing is worse than finding an opponent who I have a smooth connection with, dueling it out over a few enjoyable games, then having them leave and not finding another good match for the rest of the evening. Always a bummer.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory? What things does your opponent do in For Glory that sends you off and ticks you off?

For me, it's when I play a For Glory match and I fight a LINK user, and they just throw projectiles at me (As a Falco / R.O.B. / Pac-Man main, that's not smart.) And then when I get close they'll shield and up B out of shield or Down smash or just roll away til they're on the other side of the stage. And then when they get lucky enough to land a kill from spamming down smash or forward smash 1 and 2, they'll do his up taunt or down taunt and sometimes if they even WIN, they'll leave the room after being in the Viewing Results... thing for a long time, most likely saving a replay for them to laugh about how "good" they are or something. I only save For Glory replays when I go in deep with Falco , R.O.B. or especially Pac-Man. Or, if I get bodied by an ACTUAL good player who knows their character and does something flashy, like run off stage with Falcon and do a quick down air and it spikes.

What makes you guys mad in For Glory?
Hmmm... hopefully I was not the Link player, as I recently out sniped and defeated a Falco. But I didn't run, he did. Hah.

As far as what grinds my gears.... lag and players who run for no reason (as in literal running, not attacking ever). I can deal with the spam rollers.... it's annoying when people use counter-spams but not that big... but lag pisses me off bad when I know it's not an issue on my end.

Michi3

Smash Rookie
This. I managed to have ONE Japanese player not immediately quit after they entered the room and I blew the match. He left immediately after. I was so mad. It's like they think they're so superior to us they won't even give us the time of day.

Or they're just afraid of a bad connection. Probably the former because I like pitch forks and torches.
I live in Japan, and almost everytime I try to play someone from outside japan, the lag is just horrible compared to a in country battle, it's not worth the risk.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
People hate it when they leave after one match?
Yikes, people must hate me... I leave all the time, regardless of the result. I have no ill will for my reasons though.

But my biggest hate is lagg, Toon Link and those who use only "top teir" characters.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
I live in Japan, and almost everytime I try to play someone from outside japan, the lag is just horrible compared to a in country battle, it's not worth the risk.
Well, that explains why people from JP always see me and are "READY" then when I select my character, "Later!".

Ghostnapper

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cobaltshine
For me I gotta say some of the Samus players or maybe all of them cause all I find are people who spam rockets and power blast
Then that's when I grab Palutena to reflect them back or be shulk/greninja to counter my way to them

Michi3

Smash Rookie
Well, that explains why people from JP always see me and are "READY" then when I select my character, "Later!".
On the flipside, I've gotten some western name players leaving my game early, I think because I have my name in japanese (so the Japanese players don't run from me). If you want to get the Japanese players to stay, call your self Yuki or some super common Japanese name.

Top Bottom