• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Oh, only in FG? Taunters that taunt for no reason other than them being full of themselves.
Oh, I usually use my taunt when they taunt to make it a friendly battle, though and that always makes them stay for a little while.

Oh yah, I agree about the Utilt stuff. It's VERY annoying, especially when it's Mario for me.

Last edited:

M-Z

Smash Rookie
Samus spamming missiles and little mac players that always counter

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
People playing characters with Counter only to spam it every time they come down from the air hoping they "read" your attack.

I just press Y (Grab) and solve the problem right away. It's very annoying to have 90% of those types of characters I face in FG do that kind of tactic.

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
People that roll across the stage to get behind you before they do a move every single time. The worst part is after it fails the first time they keep doing it.

I'm like *insert bruh gif here*

goronhug

Smash Rookie
It's not only FG Mode (but it's the only way i play against other people), but basically i lose everytime against people that play Link and then stand on one side of the stage and spam projectiles, and if you come close they spam Smash Attacks (up-smash most of the time, because it has such a big AoE and long duration...) and i don't know what to do because i have to roll or jump over projectiles to get past them and then i get caught...
How can i "adapt" to this playstyle to get some hits in?

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It's not only FG Mode (but it's the only way i play against other people), but basically i lose everytime against people that play Link and then stand on one side of the stage and spam projectiles, and if you come close they spam Smash Attacks (up-smash most of the time, because it has such a big AoE and long duration...) and i don't know what to do because i have to roll or jump over projectiles to get past them and then i get caught...
I basically had this problem with this one toon Link who was doing just this. All I did to stop it was pick Marth/ Lucina, jump above them and when they were charging an up smash, I would do counter.... and that's it :p

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Actually it requires good timing with good shielding while moving forward. It's actually easier, because you can react faster with shielding. Well, it works for me, because everytime they mistakenly hit my shield with their projectiles when I'm already close to them I would go in for a grab and that's when I pressure them and don't let them get to the other side. Or if they finally know what you're doing, they will go for a grab while you're moving towards them, but since I can easily tell if they're gonna grab I can spot dodge the grab and punish them. It's easier to deal with these kind of character when you're both close to an edge, since they have slow ending on their smash attacks and you can just knock them off stage since Link also has trouble going back to the stage. Characters who can spike can beat him easily at low percent since he's vulnerable to spikes (or meteor smashes) on his head while doing his recovery. But like what Wintropy told me, yah you also have to be the better player and learn to exploit it. Thanks Wintropy
Pit, Dark Pit, Link and R.O.B. rely on their projectiles as part of their overall moveset. There's a difference between spamming it relentlessly and using it tactically, of course: they're not rushdown fighters, they're designed to lure the opponent into a false sort of move and then punishing them for it. Getting angry and rushing in for the kill because of their projectiles is exactly what we want you to do. Take it from a long-time Pit / R.O.B. player, all you need to do is adapt. Getting upset because we're launching missiles at you is like getting upset at Captain Falcon for kicking you or Diddy for having a tail. It's just part of their moveset. You need to be the better player and learn to exploit it, as that'll give you the advantage and you'll be able to fight on your own terms then.

tl;dr - Zoners rely on zoning. It's in the name. If you adapt to their zoning and maintain control of the stage, you win. Simple as~ :3

Last edited:

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
Oh, I usually use my taunt when they taunt to make it a friendly battle, though and that always makes them stay for a little while.

Oh yah, I agree about the Utilt stuff. It's VERY annoying, especially when it's Mario for me.
Keheheheheheheheheheheh.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Spot dodging Marios. I don't know what it is... It seems like he has one of the best spot dodges in the game, and his players don't let you forget it.

Armah

Smash Rookie
NNID
Armah1337
Oh, only in FG? Taunters that taunt for no reason other than them being full of themselves.
I taunt in the beginning of the match as a friendly greeting, and hardly ever after that. Anyway...

Whenever I play against a Link or a ZSS player, chances are that I'm gonna get wrecked, mostly because I'm unable to put a tiny dent into either of them.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Roll spam and :4zss:spamming Dash Attack.
I don't know why, but I just can't fight these things.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
People who don't attack me at all when they realize I'm better than them, and spend the entire match running away from me, shielding, and dodging in hopes that they will time me out and eke out a win in Sudden Death. I can usually manage to get them heavily damaged, but it's hard to land a killing blow when they don't ever risk attacking.

Amish Punkrocker

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1779-2463-5137
When people whine and moan about Link's (or any character's) projectiles. These people seem to think that because they can't figure out a way around my strategy, I somehow have to stop using the strategy. "Spam" is just a word for the butthurt.

Story time: I have been in countless matches against Fox players who, rather than shining my arrows, continuously ate my arrows and up smashes until he (I assumed) had a hissy fit and jumped off the edge, giving me an easy win. Or other matches against Foxes who depend on the laser for poke damage, and I literally walk towards, eating the lasers, and Up Smash, Up B, repeat.

All arrogance aside, the point is this; no, it's not "spamming", no, it's not "cheap", it's just as viable a strategy as any other, with strengths and weaknesses. You not being able to find a way around it is not a testament to how terrible the strategy is, it's arguably a testament to how good the strategy is. And imploring someone to stop using a strategy because you can't beat it is absolutely pathetic and, frankly, unsportsmanlike.

Special mention to the folks complaining about excessive rolling. How dare someone dodge your attacks, right? Get a clue. QQ moar. Have a terrific day.

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
Elaborating from my previous extremely detailed post: I don't ZSS, Falcon or Sheik. I just don't.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
When people come into the room and immediately leave in 1v1 For Glory. I can understand if people change their minds about playing and if it happens once or twice, but I begin to feel like I'm the problem when five to seven different people enter my room and leave before I get a chance to fight any of them.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
When people come into the room and immediately leave in 1v1 For Glory. I can understand if people change their minds about playing and if it happens once or twice, but I begin to feel like I'm the problem when five to seven different people enter my room and leave before I get a chance to fight any of them.
I like to imagine (at least when it happens to me) that same-country people who leave before they even play a round have heard the hubbub about us and are simply too scared to play.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
When people whine and moan about Link's (or any character's) projectiles. These people seem to think that because they can't figure out a way around my strategy, I somehow have to stop using the strategy. "Spam" is just a word for the butthurt.

Story time: I have been in countless matches against Fox players who, rather than shining my arrows, continuously ate my arrows and up smashes until he (I assumed) had a hissy fit and jumped off the edge, giving me an easy win. Or other matches against Foxes who depend on the laser for poke damage, and I literally walk towards, eating the lasers, and Up Smash, Up B, repeat.

All arrogance aside, the point is this; no, it's not "spamming", no, it's not "cheap", it's just as viable a strategy as any other, with strengths and weaknesses. You not being able to find a way around it is not a testament to how terrible the strategy is, it's arguably a testament to how good the strategy is. And imploring someone to stop using a strategy because you can't beat it is absolutely pathetic and, frankly, unsportsmanlike.

Special mention to the folks complaining about excessive rolling. How dare someone dodge your attacks, right? Get a clue. QQ moar. Have a terrific day.
To be fair, the lag and input delays give characters like Link and Samus an advantage. I know I've had plenty of matches where I input a power shield or reflect that I KNOW would have worked in local play, but the input delay makes it come out too slow online. It's really frustrating to eat a boomerang or charged shot that I input a response to. Countering projectiles in online play is less about reaction and more about prediction--just the nature of the beast.

So yes, Spamus and Hero of Spam strategies are a little cheap in online play, because you're taking advantage of the lag. Yes, lag cuts both ways, but it tends to hurt moves and inputs that depend on quick, precise reactions. It's not insurmountable or anything, but I do find playing against Link and Samus (particularly Samus) more obnoxious online than in local play, and don't tend to stay in lobbies very long with players who abuse projectile spam.

Of course I play Mega Man, so glass houses and whatnot.

Amish Punkrocker

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1779-2463-5137
To be fair, the lag and input delays give characters like Link and Samus an advantage. I know I've had plenty of matches where I input a power shield or reflect that I KNOW would have worked in local play, but the input delay makes it come out too slow online. It's really frustrating to eat a boomerang or charged shot that I input a response to. Countering projectiles in online play is less about reaction and more about prediction--just the nature of the beast.

So yes, Spamus and Hero of Spam strategies are a little cheap in online play, because you're taking advantage of the lag. Yes, lag cuts both ways, but it tends to hurt moves and inputs that depend on quick, precise reactions. It's not insurmountable or anything, but I do find playing against Link and Samus (particularly Samus) more obnoxious online than in local play, and don't tend to stay in lobbies very long with players who abuse projectile spam.

Of course I play Mega Man, so glass houses and whatnot.
From what I've read, the lag affects both players at the same time. So yeah, protecting against a projectile can be as annoying as trying to time sending out the projectile, when in a laggy room. It sucks when you try to time a bomb throw and the input lag is so bad, your face gets crapped on before you have a chance to throw the bomb at nothing.

Local play shouldn't be an issue though, I agree with that. It's not like a projectile dependent strategy is infallible. Hell, it's just as easy to switch to a close-up strategy in a mirror match if my opponent is using projectiles. I just figure that, in a lagless room, if you can't figure out how to dodge a few arrows, that's your own problem.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I mean.. it's possible people have other things to do? There's no commitment to stay and play more smash. Some people just wanna play a game or two. Or only have enough time for that. Either way it's kinda ridiculous to think it's because they don't like you because they literally only have your username to go off of.
it's one thing for that to be the case, but when almost every japanese player that you run into leaves without having a match, that's a few too many people to assume thought "whelp, I think I'm done for now" or "oh, I think I forgot to get something done"... or something.

I suspect it's because my username is in english, not so much the name itself... perhaps the japanese think anyone international is likely a lousy connection and lag riddled.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
it's one thing for that to be the case, but when almost every japanese player that you run into leaves without having a match, that's a few too many people to assume thought "whelp, I think I'm done for now" or "oh, I think I forgot to get something done"... or something.

I suspect it's because my username is in english, not so much the name itself... perhaps the japanese think anyone international is likely a lousy connection and lag riddled.
Yeah i've noticed the japanese thing too. Do we have any japanese players here who know why this is? If i had to guess i would say they just stick to playing other japanese people because they don't want to deal with north american lag.

Timbers

check me out
Yeah i've noticed the japanese thing too. Do we have any japanese players here who know why this is? If i had to guess i would say they just stick to playing other japanese people because they don't want to deal with north american lag.
It's incredibly likely. I leave if there is a high chance my opponent lives thousands of miles away.

josephf5

Smash Rookie
NNID
josephf5
The fact that you can only play on Final Destinationized versions of the stages. I think they should also have Battlefieldized versions of every stage.

Also, it'd be nice if there was a leaderboard for For Glory mode.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
. I know I've had plenty of matches where I input a power shield or reflect that I KNOW would have worked in local play, but the input delay makes it come out too slow online. It's really frustrating to eat a boomerang or charged shot that I input a response to.
Mostly this. I just can't adapt to it so don't play For Glory anymore. After so many players able to dash at me and grab when I usually dodge and counter and it doesn't work, I gave up.

That and 2 stocks. I'm one of those people that starts off terribly and it's not uncommon for me to lose a stock with my opponent at under 50% damage. But by the 3rd stock, I hardly take any damage and win. Two just isn't enough for my comebacks and slow analyzing.

All the Link hate... He's the only one I actually win with consistently. I like zoning.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
The thing I hate most is that they decided to use sudden death for timeouts. The person in the lead should just win in a timeout. Otherwise, bad players try to time you out to have a shot at winning a lucky sudden death, because they can't beat you playing normally. It's incredibly annoying.

Last edited:

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
Lag and input delay. I could get used to players spamming moves, but I can't deal with lag and input delay. Almost feels like I'm playing Smash 64 again.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
For Glory is the spawn of Satan. It's so alluring, due to it being the closest thing we have that competes with other fighting games' ability to face randoms online, but the downsides man...

I mean, yeah, lag is def an issue as people know; especially when lag plus ONLY FD rewards players for such lame playstyles. Like really, this is 2015 now (hard not to say 2014 lol), we should have the option to do FD only or "legal" stages deemed such by the true community (not randoms that would legalize Pyrosphere or some ****).

Same goes for 2v2:
- We should have a friendly fire option
- We should DEFINITELY have a stock option (jesus christmas)

Of course, what gets the gears grinding (like so many other fighting games) is simply the types of people you fight. The guys that'll pull bullcrap the whole time, hate message you through names, and/or etc. But hey, you really can't change people...

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Lag completely ruins it for me. I had a match where the game had like 3 seconds of input lag. It's impossible for me to recover and I died too early buy running off the stage and tried to recover but it takes too long to respond so I fall to my death! This was on the Wii U too. It would be nice if they implemented a thing where they force to kick you out if you are lagging REALLY bad. I didn't had a big issue in my other matches with barely any input lag (still not perfect). Guess I'll go back with the amiibos. :/

Ladyspiker

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6235-1432-1920
It doesn't necessarily make me rage (since the match is over), but the most annoying thing is when I win 5-10 times in a row without taunting once, and then the other person finally wins due to a silly mistake I make, taunts at the end, and then leaves. Does make them believe they're better than me and magically erase the last 5-10 losses, a lot of them being 2-stocks?

Luckily, being a Peach main, I get one of the most rage-inducing taunts, so if I ever come across that person again and remember him/her, be prepared for a lot of lala's!

Brocolli123

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6887-1972
Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory? What things does your opponent do in For Glory that sends you off and ticks you off?

For me, it's when I play a For Glory match and I fight a LINK user, and they just throw projectiles at me (As a Falco / R.O.B. / Pac-Man main, that's not smart.) And then when I get close they'll shield and up B out of shield or Down smash or just roll away til they're on the other side of the stage. And then when they get lucky enough to land a kill from spamming down smash or forward smash 1 and 2, they'll do his up taunt or down taunt and sometimes if they even WIN, they'll leave the room after being in the Viewing Results... thing for a long time, most likely saving a replay for them to laugh about how "good" they are or something. I only save For Glory replays when I go in deep with Falco , R.O.B. or especially Pac-Man. Or, if I get bodied by an ACTUAL good player who knows their character and does something flashy, like run off stage with Falcon and do a quick down air and it spikes.

What makes you guys mad in For Glory?
noobs. I have come across 3 good players in for glory. it is a joke, a mess, needs a ranking system

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Stuff that annoys me in For Glory mode:

Lag. Especially when it's so bad (1 second or longer input lag) and yet the other player somehow manages to adjust and still play well.

Opponents who win or lose and then use the character you just used as if to say "Let me show you how to really use him/her." Worse is when they seem to stick to that character from then on, as though to mock you.

Players who use one character in the first match, maybe they don't do so well. And then they use another character from then on (their main I guess) and they play a lot better and they stick to that character no matter if they win or lose.

Matches where I would have clearly won if I had more time, but goes to Sudden Death.

Opponents who spam attack, usually projectiles, like Mario's Fireball and Pikachu's Thunder Jolt the whole match. Even if I use a character like Mega Man to stop those projectiles or someone else to get around it, they still won't change their strategy.

Over aggressive players who don't seem to calm down. Constantly want to juggle and combo you. Who are overconfident enough to run across the whole stage just to grab you. Or they look desperate to grab or do a certain attack over and over. Sometimes these guys accidently kill themselves off stage trying to go after you. It's like these guys don't know the meaning of playing it safe at times. Even tournament players don't always play like this.

Being called a spammer when I obviously wasn't.

Players who suicide because they couldn't beat me. Sometimes I still enjoy fighting them anyways and wish they would stick around.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
I hope you know there are more important stuff in life than Smash Bros., right?
Actually, there are times where they'll fight you, taunt if they win, or even get a kill, and when they WIN they leave, but then when they lose, they stay.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
People staying too long on the "Viewing Results" screen. I can understand if somebody wants to save a good match or upload a video of a 'montage', but it shouldn't be every single match that they win. Or some people have a lot of space on their SD card to save replays.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Eh, nothing particularly bothers me in For Glory. I never get mad at my opponent's playstyle, I only blame myself for my lack of skill. What bothers me the most is when I go on a 10 match win streak, and then suddenly just start losing and my confidence just drops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom