• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grade would you give Sonic?

NNID
MasterHavik
Ok, KASR has had enough of that how good Sonic thread. This one will make things better in my opinion. So, I'll put it simple for everyone out. The character will be graded on Offense, Defense, recover, off and on stage game, and K.o. moves.

I'll post my grade for Sonic later. I really don't feel like doing it right now.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I don't even play sonic... but I like grading things so here we go. And I changed combo to ko because there are always ways to get out of his combos.. at least IMO

Offense = B Reason: He has a good pressure game and is fast, but he lacks a variety of moves.

Defense = D Reason: I don't see sonic every really lacking aggression. I feel his pressure game is the reason he is not a horrible character. He has like one or two defensive moves and they leave him open if they miss.

Recover = B- Reason: Its decent and has good height, but there is not too much he can do out of it and that tumble thing totally sucks.

Ground Game = B+ Reason: Rollin seams to be pretty safe if you do it correctly and he is fast so he can get around the stage very efficiently.

Air Game = C+ Reason: I would say he has about an average air game.

KO = D Reason: He has what? like one k.o. move? may be 2...

Overall= C +

WOOO!!!!!!! Sonic passed Smash Bros School!

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Offense: C. I think Sonic's offense has it's ups and downs. In some cases, offense can be phenomenal (speed, ASC, tilts, etc), and it other cases, his offense sucks (killing power, range, priority). It's one of those things where if your opponent has no idea what Sonic can do, you have a mental advantage, but if he/she does, you got a nice little problem on your hands.

Defense: B-. Sonic's defense is not just in his shielding or his spot dodging, but in using the spring jump to escape combos and even running away. Most of the time, I end up playing the whole "defend and punish" game with Sonic, but at the same time, punishing with Sonic's smashes (my particular natural instinct) has a hi chance of failure because of the pre-lag. His defense is very solid, and in theory, you shouldn't get hit with Sonic, but...

Recovery: A+. When you know what you are doing, there is absolutely no reason you should not recover from anything that doesn't knock you out immediately. Between the spring jump, the homing attack, the spin dash, and the spin shot, you shouldn't not make it back to the stage. Even if someone decides they want to edgeguard, a well placed fair or homing attack will allow you to defend yourself and then hit a spring jump with no problem. I can honestly say that Sonic has one of the best recovery amongst the two jump characters. I never worry when I'm off stage.

On Stage Game: C? I'm not exactly sure what this means... if it means a combination of your offense and defense, it's a C. If it's your aerial game onstage, I'll give it a C as well, because while Sonic's aerials are good, some of them lack the priority necessary to make them tops.

Off Stage Game: B+. Only because I don't fully utilize the gimp game the way I should, because if I did, I'd probably give it an A. Sonic's off stage pressure game is frikin incredible, but at low percents, I tend to have this fear that I'm gonna get countered for some reason, so I don't do it. At higher percents, the opponent got this panic feeling about them, so it turns into a different off stage battle.

Combos: B. Sonic can go in with the combos. From my knowledge, Sonic has utilt, dtilt, fthrow, and uthrow to set up combos, plus dthrow to tech chase, which isn't a combo, but this is brawl, so you gotta work with what you got. In the right hands, Sonic can rack up plenty of damage without the opponent knowing what the hell happened... but if only he had death combos...

Overall: C+. I like Sonic and I like how he plays. It's different, kinda complicated to fully implement everything, but he's very effective at everything except non-gimping kills. Even though the rest of the world hates him, Sonic's a pretty solid character, unlike some others...

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
arent these grades significantly dependent on how a person plays sonic?
i dunno tho, or are we talkin about sonic at his best?
because most ppl play sonic around D- lol

NNID
MasterHavik
Well, i'm talking all of his stuff we have found with him and how he does match up wise and stuff. And I feel thsi better cause you can see where a character stand clearer than saying how he or she is good or bad and such.

Tenki

Smash Hero
i'm sleepy. and bored.
Ok, KASR has had enough of that how good Sonic thread. This one will make things better in my opinion. So, I'll put it simple for everyone out. The character will be graded on Offense, Defense, recover, off and on stage game, and K.o. moves.

I'll post my grade for Sonic later. I really don't feel like doing it right now.
Offense: B-

Sonic pressures well, and if you can read your opponent, even better, since you can just control and push your opponent around while dodging/shielding at the appropriate times. Pretty good punishment game while given alot of variety in approaches. However, he can't just approach through everything. Speed has its limits, and priority/range becomes a huge issue against skilled players who don't leave themselves open for too long and keep attack auras out.

Defense: D

Sonic can spring up out of many situations.
...and then get landing-camped by his opponent. Sonic lacks a real "GTFO" move that just clears opponents away from him, and many of his attacks either only face one direction or have horrid startup lag. When Sonic is being pressured by constant attacks from his opponents, startup lag and priority issues are alot easier to feel.

Recovery: A

Too many options. Side-B can be used as an air-jump before using double jump. A (non)Homing Attack sends you flying in a 45 degree angle (plus some fall time), which is a nice way to slow down your fall if you're accelerating downwards. HA can be used near ceilings to move around or 'stall' slightly to free the ledge. Wall jumps give you a way to go for the ledge without leaving yourself open from above. You can spring, and even footstool on others while you're at it. However, like many other characters, Sonic loses a considerable amount of range (and his side-B's use altogether) if he has no double jump.

KO: C

His actual KO power with F-smash and D-smash aren't too bad, actually. F-smash also has a nice knockback to back up its noticeable priority and range. D-smash punishes landing lag and rolls. All his aerials can be used to KO with the proper chasing, too. He's only limited aerially by their respective power (with opponent DI) and their priority/range. And that's... a big thing.

as of now, C+/B-

Boxob

Smash Champion
He gets a B.

B for Boxob.

F for the when the rest of you guys use him.

Cause you're all fags.

F for fag.

I'm better than you.

:093:

Aura Power

Smash Apprentice
MO (small town sry, can't tell you exactly where)
Offense B: because of pressure sheer speed and can rack up damage quickly if his game works out fine

Defense D: Middle weight but Sonic is not gonna take any hits, Sonic is don't back down game play

Recovery A+: I may be over doing it but even the regular jump is OK then you have Fair for a little more vertical distance and the spring just goes so high and not to mention you can use homing attack + side B for recovery also. Sonic is very difficult to beat in recovery

KO C: barely a C too I was considering a D but he has 2 OK killers and one that is quick but never really sweetspots too much. i am talking about Bair F-smash. The one that never really connects though is D-smash

Overall 3 of 4 are average or above Sonic passes

R4ZE

Smash Ace
first off, i agree with boxob whole heartedly.

Offence: D

... obviously... u noobs... he has no priority.. sonic does have a wide variety of approaches, and speed, but the bottom line is... if he is going against an opponents sword, he will probly get owned... this makes him one of the worst offencive characters in the game

Defence: A

sonic has a great sheild, a great weight considering his versatility in escaping. His spot dodge on the ground is fine. He has blazing movement speed, spin dashes, a move with invulnerablity frames, several moves that lower his hurt box, or move him off the ground. He also has smash attacks with enuff to delay to punish average spot dodgers, and a lot of his smash attacks have delay to the point that they are almost "must be charged" moves. When sonic plays defencive and charges smashes, it also allows him to kill easier because his smashes gain knockback,, and they execute exactly when u need them rather than a second late. Its obvious that sonic is better suited for defence.

Recovery A

: Considering his weight is about equal to mario, his recovery is pretty much probobly the best in the game. His weight allows him to survive many attacks, and he only really dies when he cant DI before he explodes.

KO C+:

he is no ike, he boasts about 4-5 killing moves, plus some gimpings. Most of his killing comes from chase killing and charging smashes IMO. Occasional stage spikes can be done with great skill and a little luck. Basicly.. i feel like it is harder to kill with characters like falco, because sonic has great speed it is easy to get into positions good for killing, and chases... while falco has a grand total of 2 or 3 ways to kill people. Most of the time i feel like i have a harder time killing with other characters, except of course characters like IKE and Wolf. The real difficult part about sonic is that his killing moves are not as easy to pull off as other characters, but once learned sonic can be a pretty potent killer.

Damage A:

I'm not sure why this isnt a graded area... but sonic definately does great on dealing damage fast. so i figured i would just throw it out there. to further explain why i think sonic is a realy good character.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I would agree with the last poster.

Defense is Sonic's strength... it is hard to KO him.
Problem is, Sonic doesn't really KO anyone else easily.

I noticed to win with Sonic, you have to be patient, move around a whole lot, and wait for big hits. The main smash move he has is his side punch, other than that, he really lacks a good KO move.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
you know the interesting thing about this... is how much our opinions vary. goes to show that no 2 sonics are the same =)

Top Bottom