• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What games do you play competitively, besides Smash if applicable?

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda wondering now, being part of the fighting game community and the smash community. A lot of traditional fighting gamers in my area plays or played smash casually or competitively. Some of them plays some other games competitively too. I personally only play Guilty Gear and Melee as my main competitive games right now, but will try to get into Street Fighter later. So I want your guy's input on what you play competitively? Is it another fighting game, RTS, FPS, MOBA, or what? Hopefully we gets some variety or maybe find people that has common competitive interests between each other.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I USED to be into competitive Pokémon, but...
  • Smogon's lost their ever-loving sense with their bans lately
  • VGC's never had any ever-loving sense with their bans, ever. Also, **** doubles.

So now I'm pretty much Smash-only.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For me, it's just fighting games. I don't get into anything else competitively.

The latest game for me is Guilty Gear right now. I usually pick up any traditional fighter, to be honest.

I don't consistently enter tournaments though since I'm just focusing on school.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm Silver in Leauge so I guess that's semi-competitive (although there are about 1,200,000 people in NA better than I am, so I'm not that great). I play mainly Melee and a little bit of PM if I'm given the opportunity, but I don't really play much else competitively.

P.S. My tag in LoL isn't Spak, I started my account when I used my Neopets name for everything and when I finally tried to change it a few weeks ago, the name was taken.

EDIT: I also forgot to say that I know a lot about competitive Pokemon, but I'm no good at it. Also, I can speedrun any Gen 3 game in about 6 hours, so that's good I guess.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I'm Silver in Leauge so I guess that's semi-competitive
Nah bro, until you hit high plat/diamond, you're not going to be very competitive. Trust me, I've got tons of plat/diamond friends at school and I'm silver 1 and even they are hardly competitive.
What is your SN?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I play Yu-Gi-Oh competitively quite regularly. It helps that two of my close friends are also into the game, so we can easily build competitive decks by pooling our collections together.

In terms of video games, I used to play Smash a lot but school, work and other games have eaten up most of my free time. I might get back into it some day, but I really doubt it.

At one point I tried to get into competitive Pokemon, but I decided that it was just way too much of a time sink for my tastes.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pokemon in bursts, (I'm that loser who breeds up OP stuff for Battle Spot scores, lol) and Kid Icarus Uprising in it's heyday. I also like to do time attack scores and stuff in platformers, although the most significant thing I've done was nab #9 worldwide against Egg Emperor in Sonic Generations 3D.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
I played a lot of Third Strike and Street Fighter 4 but right now I'm focusing on Sm4sh. I still play Third Strike with a friend of mine every now and then and some SF4 with people at work though. We even had a SF4 employee tournament recently. I've been considering trying the new Guilty Gear but I really don't want to buy an arcade stick for PS4 right now and I have no experience with the series anyway. I'll probably pick up Street Fighter 5 due to it looking like it has a Third Strike feeling to it.

jr22

Smash Apprentice
I played alot of Street fighter 4 and Street fighter x Tekken back then before Smash 4 was even revealed in E3 2013. I never really went to any tournaments for neither of those games so I had to play online. Kept practicing for Street Fighter 4 and did pretty well. Met some very good players and some salty ones. Sadly, I can't play anything right now since I have no to PS3 to play any of my favorite games, but I will get a WII U to get smash 4 so I can get back in the smash community to represent Memphis again.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Mostly Pokemon. I love tearing up "standard" OU teams with stuff most people consider non-viable like Mantine. :226:

Nooph

Smash Cadet
i used to be involved in competitive tf2. the game itself was fun, but the community was absolutely terrible. i have met quite a few interesting people when i did play, though, including one guy who had gay feelings for me. that was rather awkward.

i just recently got into smash, though. hopefully it'll be less awkward.

ForkH

Smash Rookie
Back when it first came out, I was pretty heavily invested in TF2 competition, but I got suuuuper burned out!
I played Magic: The Gathering at a tournament level for a while, too, but I got suuuuper burned out, haha!

Lately I've been playing less directly competitive games, and have been spending a lot of time trying to get higher scores in Distance.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I'm not really competitive, but my friends sometimes have me sub on their TF2 team. But I don't think I'd want to do it seriously, all I play is Demoknight and Heavy anymore and I'm too much of a goof to buckle down and be serious about it.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
I used to play Pokemon pretty competitively back in the Gen 4 era but no longer do

I don't necessarily want to play competitively; however, if there were two games that I REALLY want to improve in it'd be Pokemon Puzzle League and League of Legends. Puzzle League cause I want to be one of those people who can break the entire stack cause it's hype and League because I just started playing ranked "seriously" and I'm already tired of being in Silver II lol

NickingAde

Smash Rookie
NNID
NickingAde
I play Mario Kart 8 competitively, though I am not a huge fan of the community due to its vile nature. I played Mario Kart Wii competively as well as Clash of Clans

Twewy

Smash Lord
I subbed for a UGC Highlander Steel and later Iron team in Team Fortress 2. Considering getting back into comp again, this time 6v6 or something.

Last edited:

Shaowz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Epikshaowz
3DS FC
4313-5214-1437
I play naruto storm games competitively, I play a lot of other fighting games but casually

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Seeing some great stuff over here, Shaowz lol at your post, it made me lol the most. Yea, I kinda stopped with Pokemon, it's wayyyy to time consuming. MK8 is awesome too, but I suck at it, only racing game I can play is F-ZERO GX (yea I'm one of those people gifted in playing harder games way better than easier ones).

Kirisamee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-3757-2156
I occasionally play competitive Pokemon, though I'm only somewhat decent at it. I've been trying to get better, but it hasn't really worked.

Shaowz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Epikshaowz
3DS FC
4313-5214-1437
Seeing some great stuff over here, Shaowz lol at your post, it made me lol the most. Yea, I kinda stopped with Pokemon, it's wayyyy to time consuming. MK8 is awesome too, but I suck at it, only racing game I can play is F-ZERO GX (yea I'm one of those people gifted in playing harder games way better than easier ones).
lol its a booty community in naruto but me being a hardcore fan keeps me in it. i love all mario karts and can play competitive but just dont. pokemon same thing but im currently getting into it

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
Tried to get competitive at Street Fighter and failed miserably, same with Killer Instinct. I plan on getting heavy into MKX when it drops.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I play Pokemon competitively (only broke ladder twice though, once in Gen 4 with a goodstuffs hyper offence team and once in Gen 5 with one of the earliest rain offence teams). On a bit of a hiatus atm, due to some bans that I dislike. Don't even know what the current suspect is (though I have a sneaking suspicion that it is either Greninja or Gallade, because every ban must destroy my current favourite core).
I tend to play every game I get into competitively, so I guess Hearthstone, YGO, in the glory days of yore, Kid Icarus:Uprising, Awesomenauts and maybe Nidhogg count too. I've been trying to get into MTG but here's nobody near me who plays, and even though it's only a 45 minute journey to the store in the city I'm in an exam year now so I don't have the free days to go in anyway...

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Mario Kart, though it's hardly as srs bsns as Smash. Also considering going competive on ORAS.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
I used to play Competitive Blazblue and Starcraft 2.

Now with school, work, and aching wrists, I only put time into Melee. I love this thread, very cool to see all the games people play or played in their past.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I used to play shooters competively. Lately, I have been trying to learn Guilty Gear. Key word, learn. I am booty at traditional fighting games.

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
Waaaay back in the day used to play DDR.

Used to play a lot of StarCraft 2 a year or two ago, made it up to the gold league in 2v2 with a friend.

Now, I'm trying to learn more fighting games outside of Smash. Street Fighter 4, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Blazblue, Guilty Gear...totally different from Smash but they're fun. Probably am going to buy a PS4 and Mortal Kombat X at some point.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I was briefly into the Pokemon scene, but after a few rounds of Pokemon Online, it wasn't as fun as I imagined it. I also sucked a lot.

I want to consider playing higher level Team Fortress 2 some day. I've been getting a lot better and it and I have a lot of fun as well.

I also played competitive Mario Kart, which, looking back, was... silly. Especially considering how that game relies on a lot more luck at many points, which doensn't often bode well for competitive scenes. I was mostly into competitive Mario Kart Wii, and joined clans and played online tournaments. I still remember Funky Kong + Flame Runner and Daisy + Mach Bike being the Foxes and Falcos of the game, respectively.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I want to consider playing higher level Team Fortress 2 some day. I've been getting a lot better and it and I have a lot of fun as well.
Go for it. I honestly have more fun in non-MvM/screwing around when playing with a competent team. I can't tell you much about 6s, but like I said before I have done Highlander and a couple of lobbies.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
Go for it. I honestly have more fun in non-MvM/screwing around when playing with a competent team. I can't tell you much about 6s, but like I said before I have done Highlander and a couple of lobbies.
Huh, maybe I should consider. I actually love it when I'm thrown into a random server with very competent and skilled players, even if I'm not exactly on their level. It's just that if I am really serious about getting into competitive TF2, I'd have to find a team or a group of people that I can play with in matches and whatnot, considering how this game strives off of teamwork. I would need to start on that sooner or later.

Highlander is actually my favorite type of competitive mode. I've clocked in about 300 hours in the game, and while my stats say Scout is my most used, I really love Engineer, which is more suitable to play in Highlanders rather than 6s. Though, I also like playing Medic, who is a vital 6s class.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
I used to play competitive Ultimate MvC3 but just kinda stopped. I also play Ultra Street Fighter 4 someti es but i dont take it that competitively. I also want to get better at Persona 4 Ultimax but the game is kinda dead.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
The only game I play competitively is Need for Speed World, an online racing game. There are competitions on a fan website and I participate. Even if my laptop sux, I manage to win some of them. But it's just recently that I started really trying, it was just for fun before.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I mainly play smash but I been playing competitive FG's since 2012 with mainly Soul Calibur V and been getting into GG XRD. I play Pokemon as well but Smogon recent bans were like WTF and I stopped caring and only stick to VGC and Uber's and don't wanna EV train pokes.

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
I play Starcraft II very competitively. I'm only plat at the moment but I'm working very hard towards GM. I stream most of my practice here: www.twitch.tv/deadPhoenixSC2 if anybody's interested.

I also play CS:GO. I play this game more casually but I'm naturally competitive, so I'm always trying to get better at the game when I'm playing it as well. Only silver elite at the moment, but was gold nova three once upon a time when I remembered how to scout properly. Working my way back up.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
Games used to play competitively:
The Soul Caliber Series

Games I am playing competitively now:
Pokemon (Singles and VGC)
Team Fortress 2
Counter Strike: GO (Competitive Match-making)

Games in the Future I want to take competitively:
Pokken FIghters

Hipersonicc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipersonicc
3DS FC
1375-7739-0314
Starting now in the pokemon competitive scene.
I'm not really into Shooters, but i like MOBAs, i play League of Legends but i don't like ranked matches cause i don't really like the community of that game.

Also i played mario strikers charged football online back in the 2012 (just 2 months before it closed TT_TT)
Countless hours playing Pokemon Battle revolution online... etc.

I'm also starting to play Magic: The gathering but not really considering the competitive scene due to the cost

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Used to play Pokémon competitively all the time but after Smogon banned stuff like Aegislash and Mawile (heard they banned Greninja now) I noticed how stupid Smogon is and I only play Pokémon Showdown now in short bursts in VGC.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
I'm an avid contributor to the OM subforums in Smogon. Been contributing in Smogon for like 3 years now. Just got back into smash recently haha.

Top Bottom