• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"What does '10char' mean?" A Noob board FAQ (Added troubleshooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I thought to make a FAQ so that new people to the boards will get their questions answered.
I REALLY NEED MOAR REQUESTS/QUESTIONS please post em.
NEW STUFF IN YELLOW
please correct me for my mistakes, unless your a flamer, or you're mistaken
Please post more like these, or post more noob questions:

Q. How do I post Images/GIFs?
A. To post a lot better than "Quick Reply", Click on the "Add Reply" which brings ups the same "menu as if you clicked on "Edit Post" or "Quote"... In the top, second row, there is a small yellow box with a picture of mountains with a sun. Before you click on it, find the URL for the
picture you want to post (Your Picture is not online? well use a image posting website to put it on like imageshack or something) Copy the URL and click on the Box previously mentioned. You will be asked to put in the URL of the image, do so and press enter. the image should
appear like such:
. When you post, the picture will be viewable. A shortcut to getting the URL of an image is to right click it and select Copy Image Location, now when you can paste the URL in the box.

Q. How do I put Pictures in my signature?
A. Do the same thing as above but in the "edit signature" section under "user cp" at the top

Q. Why won't the pictures show up?
A. 1. The Image url, is gone
2. The image url, is misspelled
3. The image is somehow in the wrong format for posting
4. The image url, is not the actual one(example, your url is to a blog with a specific picture in it, it won't show up, you need to right click it and select Copy Image Location, now when you can paste the URL in the box.
5. Post anymore solutions, cause I ran out

Q. What's the Difference between Meteor Smashes and Spikes.
A. Not much really, they are both attacks that send the opponent downward in the air, hopefully enough to K.O. them. I guess Meteor Smashes are more of a subcategory, or that Spikes are more likely to K.O. Also Meteor Smashes can be Meteor-Canceled by the victim by pressing up and B for a recovery move or using their second jump right after being hit, while spikes cannot be canceled.

Q. What Does _____ mean?(remember, even though you'll now know what the stuff means, it's not cool to use it yourself, speak English for once)
A.v
10char=It stands for ten characters, the character minimum for a post. Have ten characters or less in your post like "LOL"? A message will pop up saying you need more than 10 characters in your post. Use the phrase 10char added to your original short message to post it. Other methods include using other words that begin with C (10charizards, 10 camcorders,...) or cover it with spoiler tags (
10chars
) to make it less, or more noticeable.

DI=Directional Influence, in smash bros. games, you can push a direction on your control stick to move, if you've just gotten, hit, you can change the direction of your trajectory. Many people consider it an advanced technique, but it's real easy to do and you probably have already done it just because you believe you can stop dieing by pushing the other direction. It also allows you get out of combos and some "infinite" combos that aren't really infinite.

AT=Advanced Technique and Assist Trophy. It officially stands for Assist trophy because Advanced Techniques are now called Quick Techniques, however, it almost always means Advanced Techniques, which everyone still uses instead of Quick Techniques. Advanced Techniques are manuvers in the game that are not stated normally in the game, such as fast falling, short hopping, and wavedashing.

Facepalm=a Facepalm is a gesture to express your feelings toward an idiotic action

Quoted from Darkslash"FacePalm: A Picture that Shows how idiotic the Quoting Post was.
EG
Quote:'Ike is a clone of Roy and (spoiler)
Lucario
is a clone of Mewtwo'

This here is a Ridley Facepalm. Showing that Ridley thinks this is so stupid that it should not of been posted"

ITT=It's internet slang that stands for "in this thread", frankly, I've never seen/heard it. It can also mean "I think that...".

O RLY?=Oh Really? (from wiki)," a popular Internet phenomenon, typically presented as an image macro featuring a Snowy Owl. The phrase "O RLY?" is typically used in a sarcastic or sardonic manner, often in response to a statement that the speaker feels is obvious, or blatantly self-contradictory. Some Internet forum trolls may also reply "O RLY?" in response to a lengthy post" typicaly followed by YA RLY and NO WAI, you can guess what those mean.

Troll= this ain't your lord of the rings troll, a troll is (Wiki) "someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion" So don't "feed the troll" by talking to them or responding in general.

Flamer=An Internet user who typically generates a "flame" response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. see troll

L2P=learn to play. this person thinks you can't play well

Moar=more, that was easy

FTW=It's internet slang that stands for "For the win" generally tied to pictures or other media that people think are very outstanding in what they try to accomplish

WTF= What the ****, the person is expressing unbelief

LMAO=Laughing my *** off, expressing that they think that a subject is funny

IMO=In my Opinion, means "I believe that..."

FTL=For the Lose(not Loss), opposite of FTW

FFS=For **** Sakes, it means "I can't believe that..."

LOL/LULZ/Lawls/Anything else that sounds the same=laugh out loud, also expressing that they think that a subject is funny

ROFL=Rolling on the floor laughing, expressing even more that they think that a subject is funny

Omg=oh my god, also means "I can't believe that..."

Pwn=Own, it means that the action has just done something to be a lot better than other actions (example, a final smash)

EpicFail=Extreme Failure, same as FTL (For Example: Lol, Omg I'm gonna shoot this Epic Failure of a thread with some PWNAGE!!!!)

QFT=(quoted from wiki)internet slang meaning "quoted for truth". This term applies on forums and posting boards where users can edit their posts, and describes a re-posting of another user's statement in order to counteract subsequent changes. Since the repost is not made by the original author, it can not be edited by him and will always preserve an unaltered copy of his initial contribution. Thus the QFT holds the poster to his original statement. It is also used - in the form of the slightly-altered "quoted from truth" - to express agreement with a previous poster's statement and validate its veracity.

JK=Just kidding

NSFW=not safe for work, normally obscenity, but really, anything that might get you fired if your boss saw it.

STFU=Shut the **** up!, people who say this are angry with you

GTFO=Get the **** out/off, people who say this are angry with you

QQ/QQing=Cry/Crying. notice that in some fonts, two Q's put together look like eyes crying. this is a visual expression of the word crying. (example, "Jeez man, quit QQing!")

OP=Original poster, the person who started the thread

wow, a whale!=inside reference to the Pictochat stage update, when a whale was drawn, a phrase some people found pretty funny

LANDMASTERRR!=(several variations of this) inside reference to Fox's final smash, sakurai wrote "LANDMASTERRR!" under a picture. This reference picked up after this movie of (spoiler)wolf's final smash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ezpgf0fE8U

DO A BARREL ROLL!=in the Star Fox Series, There is a character called Peppy, who always wants you to do a barrel roll, a manuver used to dodge laserfire. He reminds you to do this even after the tutorial, and does so in an angry mannor.

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!=It started as a youtube poop(random nonsense) video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI the guy makes pretty good videos) and became an internet meme, especially because fox has a scouter like the Vegeta character.

AYBARTU or All Your Base Are Belong To Us=from the game Zero Wing's introduction sequence filled with bad Engrish:

then it was turned into a song :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg&feature=related
anyway, as you can guess it became a hit among some and it kinda means PWN if anything

The cake is a lie=(few spoilers from another game, I'm not going to hide them).from the game Portal, by Valve, who made Half Life series, and bunched these games into the Orange Box game. Basically, you are a test subject who is being led by a computer A.I. called GlaDos, GlaDos promises that "cake" will be a reward for your test completion. You begin to suspect that something is not right when the tests become life-threatening and eventually you may find the remains of previous test subject, who hid away in the secret places in the test rooms, posting up pictures of the , weighted companion cube, which apparently, they went crazy and thought was alive. Any way, they always posted the phrase "The cake is a lie" in reference to GlaDos' attempts to kill the test subject by lying(you know what I mean...).

This was a triumph!=From the same game from above, this phrase is from the ending credits. see this (tiny spoilers to the game) sung by GlaDos herself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs very catchy

so i herd u liek mudkipz= The origin of this phrase is from a story on 4chan, that a kid gave a doll of the Mudkip pokemon, first saying "So I heard you like Mudkips..." to another kid, who then became over excited and began to **** the doll, eventually leading to chaos in the school. Quoted From Flaming Dragon Wang:"The meme 'so i herd u liek mudkipz' was made when people on 4chan began to repeat the first line of dialogue in the story, 'So I heard you like mudkips.' It became a huge classic meme on 4chan, and eventually across the entire internet. That's how the youtube video was inspired. The phrase isn't used in any specific context, it's completely random and usually, when used, completely irrelevant to the conversation." So yeah, just a entirely random phrase.

Shoop da Woop=its pretty hard to explain, wiki-"Bizarre picture of Cell, a villain from Dragonball Z, which began to sweep /b/ during July 2006. Cell's face is blacked out, googly eyes and big red lips are MS Painted in (turning him into NIGRA CELL), and his wide open mouth from the original is left in, along with one of three captions: "SHOOP DA WHOOP", "IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER" or "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER", the last of which shows energy being fired from Cell's mouth. Another picture is "OOPS, I SWALLOWED MAH LAZER", in which the face is placed on an image of Cell ballooning ******ds as he is about to explode. Other characters are now being given the blackface treatment and have shouted that they are chargin' their lazers." go here for more info http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/archive/index.php/t-166607.html, or just here, to LOL, out loud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSVNbxjdvv8

I wonder what's for dinner/You dare bring light into my lair, you will DIE!/I'm so hungry, i could eat a dodongo!/Squadalah!(To Be Continued)=Funny Phrases in the Zelda CDi games' cutscenes. The games themselves are insults practically to the good zelda series with, bad/very weird animation, horrible gameplay,...

Well Excuuuuuuuse me, Princess!=A phrase from the Zelda cartoon show, Said by Link almost every line in every episode.

IIRC=if i recall (remember) correctly

InB4Lock="in before block" the person thinks that the thread will be locked down by a moderator soon, and wants to post before it is.

Mod=moderator, the people with special access to the forums, they can lock threads, sticky them (keep them always on the first page), make the only real "official" threads, ban members, edit any post,... anything

YOU MUST RECOVER!=inside joke from the "You must recover!" update. Doesn't it seem kinda obvious that in Smash Bros., that you need to recover after being hit? Well that's why the update was so funny, the phase means that you have gotten yourself in a tricky situation, and that you must recover, or get over your problem.

You don't have time to ponder such questions=inside joke from Link's final smash update. I quote "Is he using the Triforce to slash enemies? Or is it the Triforce doing the slashing? You don’t have time to ponder such questions, as Link has just grabbed a Smash Ball." This Phrase is used whenever someone asks a lot of questions.

Up until now=Reference to Lucas's special move update. Again I quote "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar" This led many to think that Ness was not returning to Brawl, since "up until now" normally means, not any more. There was research in this, people tried to see if the translation was wrong. (spoilers)
But, when Ness was added, people used the phase to annoy those who thought he was gone.

Wario alone is special=Like up until now, except it had to do with Wario's alternate costume update. quote "Everyone can change colors, of course. But Wario alone is special..." leading some into arguing whether or not anyone else could have alternate costumes, maybe even the forbidden 7. No one else has alternate costumes.

a Slightly different flavor=from the Bowser character update. Quote"The biggest and the heaviest of fighters, Bowser has a slightly different flavor this time around!" mainly people play with the phrase about changes or minor differences with stuff.

DLC=Downloadable content (thanks for the correction), what people thought could happen to make the forbidden 7 playable, by the use of a downloading system for the Wii. Unfortunately in an "interview" Sakurai Said to IGN that there will be no more characters.

Forgotten 5=5 characters NOT making their appearance in brawl, (spoilers)
Doctor Mario:(, Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, and Young Link(replaced by Toon Link?).

Forbidden 7=7 characters that have partial data on the Brawl disk, but not enough to make them a character or alternate costume, they all have about the same size data as Wario's final smash, (spoilers)
Toon Zelda(Zelda alternate cosume?), Toon Sheik (probably Tetra from Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, shiek alternate costume?), but the data says Sheik), Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong alternate costume?), and one whose file says pra_mai (everyone assumes this is Plusle and Minun from Pokémon,the Japanese version calls them Purasuru and Mainan, a double battle duo of electric-types, maybe replacing Pichu) It was also stated that The Japanese translation means "any one", this could mean a Mii character, or just the Random choice while choosing characters.

Tier=Ranking of characters, Top tier=character most likely to win Smash Bros. matches. Very influenced by the character's ability to use advanced techniques. Fox was the highest tier in melee.

Tires Don Exits=Tiers Don't Exist, a belief that anyone can make a character good enough to compete with higher tier characters, as shown by famous smasher Gimpyfish who uses Bowser, a low tier character, in tournaments, and does well.

Credit where it's due

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
I'm ashamed to admit this but I thought it was some deluded ranking system; people really enjoy a post so they give it ten (out of ten) charizards.

seriously, lawlz

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe noobs are so nooby, they can't put two and two together to figure out what 10char means.

But then again, they ARE noobs...

Darkslash

Smash Master
FacePalm: A Picture that Shows how idiotic the Quoting Post was

EG

Ike is a clone of Roy and Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo

This here is a Ridley Facepalm. Showing that Ridley thinks this is so stupid that it should not of been posted

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I can't believe noobs are so nooby, they can't put two and two together to figure out what 10char means.

But then again, they ARE noobs...
Yeah, but at one point you probably didn't know what some of these questions, so a FAQ might have been helpful I guess.

I figured it out because so many people kept asking the same questions while I was reading threads.

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
http://www.noslang.com/

This will help.

And no, I figured out what 10char meant very easily. I used my brain, see. I did this thing called reading comprehension, mixed with context clues, as well as noticing the obvious.

"Hmm.... everytime this 10char thing shows up, its in a very short post. Maybe I should try to make a very short post and see what happens?"

"Hmmm... what does 10char mean? Well, I guess its 10 of 'char'. But what is char? Hmm.... oh! Characters, as in letters and numbers! You need 10 characters to post! Eureka!"

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
well yeah, I never said that this type of thread is necessary, just useful to some. There are several ways to finding out stuff, asking, experimenting, experience, drawing conclusions,...

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Lol meens laugh out loud!
Omg meens oh my god.
Pwn meens landmaster.
EpicFail = Extream Falure

For Example: Lol, Omg I'm gonna shoot this Epic Failure of a thread with some PWNAGE!!!!

Gyumi

Smash Cadet
Meh, Should have been posted in a different forum other than the brawl forums
But whatever.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I put it here so that people in specifically brawl forums could get around, some stuff, especially stuff I haven't added yet, is mainly brawl forum specific.

Liquid-Gold

Smash Cadet
Is "ROFL" (roll on the floor laughing) up there? I'm sure someone out there doesn't know it. If it is up, forgive my stupidity.

On a side note, thanks for the "10char" explaination. That confused me for a while o.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom