• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you wavedash/land with? L or R? X or Y?

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Honestly, every time I see a new smasher, it seems like they use L to wave dash. Can yall tell me what yall use?

I use the X/R wavedash.

twdfx

Smash Cadet
I only use the y button and the R button. No L ever, no X ever.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I use Y/R. I play Fox, so obviously you need to be able to move your finger quickly in order to do shine combos. It seems to be the quickest and most comfortable way to wavedash. I use L to L-cancel, and am trying to get back into habbit of shielding with L also. If you keep these techniquest limited to a single button variation, you will become more persistent and you won't have to think about what your doing. You will be able to SH dair, fast fall, L-cancel, shine, wavedash, up-smash just by imagining it.

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
I hardly ever use L (maybe to ocassionally tech or to trigger the alternative music of a stage), using R is more comfortable and "natural" :p

aMtt

Smash Apprentice
I use L to wavedash, L to L cancel, and Y to do all short hops and wave dashes. I'm trying to get out of the habit of using L to shield because it's the only trigger I can wavedash with, and it's nice to be able to wavedash without letting go of the shield button.

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
what's claw style?
Claw style is where you hold the controller differently with you right hand.

I use my index finger to jump with a flick, not a button press and my thumb is almost always on the c stick. I use my middle finger for z and r. It has a very high learning curve but once you get used to it, it becomes waaaaay easier to do really technical things more constantly. I've found it helps spacing a lot. Short hopping is easier i find because it's just a flick. There are certain thing that are only possible to do with clawing mainly doing multiple jump canceled shines in a row with falco (see dashizwiz). Actually I'm not sure if he uses claw or not but i would think it would be beyond human limitations to move your fingers that fast. With claw it is simply an issue of timing.

I'm sure there are topics around here somewhere that explain it more and all it's benefits.

pdk

Smash Lord
R and X are totally the buttons of champions!

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I use X for all jumping ('cept occasional situational use of up) and I can't even think which trigger I use to wavedash o.O I'm pretty sure I wavedash with L even though I use R for teching, shielding, dodging, and everything else. It's kind of silly since R is just easier to control the stick with IMO.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I'm feeling inclined to try and use Y/R D: Seems more efficient seeing as my thumb would thus cover A and B simultaneously~ The claw might be a good thing to learn too~

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I shorthop with X
I do all my L stuff with L.

Works for me. Though I wish I used Y because I could do fox stuff easier, the way I do it gives me a huge callous on my thumb from waveshines and whatnot.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I always use Y to jump. X is too close to my thumb, and Y is in a better position in relation to A and B. I use L to L-cancel. I use L and R simultaneously for shielding and wavedashing. The only time I don't use both shoulder buttons for wavedashing is when I waveshield; I hold L to shield and press R to wavedash.

Top Bottom