• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think Zero will do after EVO?

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I think I heard TKBreezy say that he was gonna start to focus more on melee. Do you think he will contiune playing smash 4? Will he show up at Paragon?

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I really really hope he stays true to his word and focuses all his time and effort into Melee. He's got the fundamentals to be a good if not great Melee player and more importantly, it would give someone else in the sm4sh community a chance to win first place in major tournaments. :)

Muro

Smash Lord
He'll probably want to focus more on melee long term since it's where the sponsors are, but still enter smash 4 for the easy cash grab short term.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
he makes most if not all his money from tournaments so if he does focus on melee i could see him still do some sm4sh for the living money but with everything still growing more and more people still getting into smash i dont see him leaving sm4sh for melee and if he does hes probably already focusing alot of time with m2k and some others learning absolutely everything he can about the game to come in and probably dominate that too so it would in the end probably just end up with him either taking over both games or just not messing with melee on a competitive level.

but he did say if he won evo he would stick exclusively to melee for at least a year sayin he was inspired by leffen so who knows what he will end up doin

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I really really hope he stays true to his word and focuses all his time and effort into Melee. He's got the fundamentals to be a good if not great Melee player and more importantly, it would give someone else in the sm4sh community a chance to win first place in major tournaments. :)
That's a horrible way to think of it. You're asking someone to become the best without ever actually defeating the best.

Ruff

Smash Rookie
This means the guy makes lots of videos, but now he will celebrate with girlfriend.

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
He'll probably focus on getting better at Melee, especially after he got trashed at that FC crew battle by Kalamazhu.
Hopefully he'll get better because I've always just seen him as another Melee Fox and nothing more tbh.
And like someone said above, he'll probably still enter smash 4 for quick $ because it's there for the taking.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I'm not excited about the prospect of ZeRo leaving Smash 4 for Melee. I think it's important for him to continue to be the absolute best at Smash 4. This is that Michael Jordan stuff that everyone collectively regrets after the fact.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not excited about the prospect of ZeRo leaving Smash 4 for Melee. I think it's important for him to continue to be the absolute best at Smash 4. This is that Michael Jordan stuff that everyone collectively regrets after the fact.
I agree with you, I have no idea why he wants to focus on Melee to be honest. I enjoyed his dominance in Smash 4 as I was not around during the Ken era of Smash. It is refreshing to see someone completely uncontested. Perhaps a little less interesting, but in other ways, there is nothing more interesting. He was pushing the meta-game forward and contributing so much.

Hopefully he has some form of employment. I do not keep track of these things, but he is probably not going to earn a lot of money from Melee tournaments for awhile. I am sure he has it all figured out, I am not his mother, but it just seems like a bad idea financially.

Regarldess, I wish the best for him.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I agree with you, I have no idea why he wants to focus on Melee to be honest. I enjoyed his dominance in Smash 4 as I was not around during the Ken era of Smash. It is refreshing to see someone completely uncontested. Perhaps a little less interesting, but in other ways, there is nothing more interesting. He was pushing the meta-game forward and contributing so much.
Because he's a competitor and craves competition. But after winning every tournament he's been in so far with little trouble, he's pretty much "mastered" the game. Not saying that there isn't more to learn, but that as far as ZeRo is concerned, there's no competition. With Melee, he's only in the top 50, not number one, meaning there's quite a ways to go before he's the top and Melee's competition is fierce.

Konneh

Smash Cadet
I have to say that if he really does go through with his statement and focuses on Melee from now on, I hope that he builds up a more exciting playstyle. I found his Fox to be rather dull whenever I saw it.
On the other hand I would be a bit disappointed, since if he does not focus on Sm4sh anymore, that would also take a lot of value away from dethroning him, if/when that finally happens. I find that aspect of Sm4sh exciting - who can be the one who finally overcomes him? It would suck if that achievement was not quite as prestigious anymore.

Last edited:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I remember something about Leffen being involved with ZeRo focusing on Melee. Don't remember the exact details but ZeRo cited Leffen as his inspiration when he announced that he will be focusing on Melee after winning EVO on either his stream or his Twitter. Idk, that was such a long time ago. What I said may not be the case at all.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
He doesn't have a real job, he makes his money from streaming and winning tournaments. He can't afford to give up Smash 4 because he makes mad dosh from it.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
If he focuses on melee, someone is definitely going to surpass him in skill in smash 4, i.e Nairo. In addition, in a year, a lot can happen to the meta game, and while everyone will be adjusted, he won't. I really think it would be a mistake for him to switch.

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Yeah, I dunno if focusing more on Melee is honestly the best decision for him. It's kind of a double-edged sword; on one hand, he's displayed such great command and understanding over the neutral in Smash 4 that if he were to transfer that energy and passion into Melee, I could see him at least breaking into a consistent top 8. More money and sponsorships to be had in Melee as well. It'll also open up the doors for Smash 4 to see a new reign of best players, although it'll kind of be in a cop-out sort of way. We're not fighting Freiza at his best anymore, it's not as satisfying knowing we only beat him because he's not trying as hard.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Guys if you follow him on twitter, you'll see he said he is staying with smash 4.

|Czar|

Smash Rookie
ZeRo recently did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on his reddit account. One person asked him what are his plans after winning EVO, and he confirmed that he will still be playing Smash 4 rather than Melee, and that he will play Melee when he sees fit. I think this is healthy for the Smash 4 community, as it will keep players of various levels of skill driven to improve and compete with (or surpass) ZeRo at his full capacity.

EDIT: Just realized someone already brought in the news, so disregard what I said, lol.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
I don't see why he'd switch to Melee when he's at the top of Smash 4. Maybe for better sponsors?

Unfortunately, Melee ain't smash 4, and he's nothing too special in that game. Seeing as the learning curve to being competitive in Melee is like infinitely higher than smash4, I don't see why he doesn't just play what he's currently good at. I doubt he's going to actually play Melee.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
I kinda saw this coming lol. Its basically free money for him with as dominant as hes been. Only Concon has taken a single set off of him right, let alone someone doin it consistently within a tournament. I cant imagine him leaving to play a game that would take him a while to get near the top and thats an if.

GonashX

Smash Rookie
NNID
OandKC
He should play Melee and then come back to Smash 4 after like, a year or something. Seems like there is not that much challenge for ZeRo in the Smash 4 scene, plus I wanna see how he would do against the 6 Gods ^_^

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I don't see why the guy that is known definitively as the best Sm4sh player by an enormous margin, the guy who has never dropped a set, would leave, there is just no reason to for him.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I don't why he'd ever switch to melee.

And not even considering tournament winnings, if ZeRo is smart he'll take advantage of his position and make a nice steady income through youtube and streaming.

He gives all that up by switching to melee, makes no sense. He's in an incredibly fortunate position that people will pay him just to talk about and play video games in his house. He's so fortunate - almost everyone else has to hold down a real job and work 5 days a week doing something they don't enjoy just to pay living expenses.

Seriously if I were him I'd focus on building up his fan base on twitch and youtube. Because at some point, he won't be the best at smash 4 anymore. And when that happens people will stop watching if he hasn't done enough to build a following.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Melee is an awesome game. Everyone here should give it a try. Wave-cheating and fun-cancelling are cool glitches.

Top Bottom