• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think sets the smashbros reddit and Smashboards apart?

NoisyBoy

Smash Rookie
What do you think are the main differences between them, even though they are a lot alike? Up until now I've used reddit, but it seems a lot less helpful there for some reason, but really well populated and active.

Popertop

Smash Champion
the lack of memers.

if you're looking for informed discussion, and trying to actually improve at the game, a forum being well populated vs sparsely populated doesn't make much of a difference (aside from having a larger talent pool)

Smashboards is the og, and it takes more effort to make a post.

Any rando memer can get on reddit and have an opinion on r/smashbros

But to even know about Smashboards is a little bit underground (less so now than in the past)

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Reddit to me feels more based on discussion and Smashboards is more leaned towards questions about how to do things, characters or the site itself. I commonly see people on Reddit talk about specific tournaments and matches and their own take on the matter. Reddit is probably more popular now that people are moving from Smashboards to Discord and googling a question usually brings up threads from Reddit first.

That, and Reddit users like to believe they know everything because they can look back on matches/sets in retrospect, saying things like "He sucks, all he had to do was roll." When in reality, in the midst of a match that is pretty intense you do not have a lot of time to think. They opinion is upheld as the law to them. Smashboards has a couple of idiots here and there, but everyone has a decent knowledge over the game and don't try to cram their ideals down your throat.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For some reason on reddit, low level players speak with utmost confidence even when they are relatively clueless regarding the topic at hand. More maturity here on smashboards these days.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I like to think of smashboards and reddit like that tv show the oblongs. Smashboards is the Hills, where we live in peace and happiness with our vast knowledge of our game, whereas reddit is the Valley. With its unmatched toxicity, reddit smashers haven't got as much information as us and have to scavenge for tidbits about the actual game between meme comments.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
For some reason on reddit, low level players speak with utmost confidence even when they are relatively clueless regarding the topic at hand. More maturity here on smashboards these days.
^ This is super accurate. It's a bit of a generalization but it's the truth. Reddit is going to have more unskilled, low game understanding level opinions. Smashboards in general is going to have a more knowledgeable and more civil group of people.
Reddit will get you clips of the tournament that happened yesterday or conversation about the tournament that just happened. Where smashboards doesn't seem to have a lot of discussion on a particular player or tournament but more of a this is how the game works, this is why this character is good on this stage or this matchup. This is how you can improve.

My two cents is leave smashbros reddit and never look back unless you enjoy opinions that are wrong shoved down your throat like they are law. Every site will have a bad egg here or there but in general smashboards is full of people that love the game and aren't fishing for likes/upvotes and just want to help others to enjoy the game more and improve. <3

LLDL

Smash Hero
Smashboards used to be the only place to talk about Melee. All reddit is, is a social media network, A unique one. I definitely wish smashboards was used at the same or similar volume as say, your local scene's facebook group.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Smashboards used to be the only place to talk about Melee. All reddit is, is a social media network, A unique one. I definitely wish smashboards was used at the same or similar volume as say, your local scene's facebook group.
Me too. Excellent posts go by largely ignored or forgotten on discords and facebook groups. Here, everything is archived permanently.

CanBeatAnyFaux

Smash Cadet
Reddit is mostly dumb assholes who don't go to tournaments. Smashboards is mostly people who don't know how to play and Smash 4 players. Both have their high points but neither are amazing resources imo

Popertop

Smash Champion
It doesn't sound like you listed any high points about reddit in that post lmao.

Smashboards kinda died around the brawl era, then PM came back, then smash 4, etc.

Smashboards is an amazing resource though: there are frame data threads for every char, player finders, discussion threads, tier lists, results analysis...

I think you're underselling it

CanBeatAnyFaux

Smash Cadet
It doesn't sound like you listed any high points about reddit in that post lmao
All I said was that they exist lmao, I'm not sure what they are.

I think Smashboards is decent resource but there's so much **** to sift through(see any thread I respond to besides PPMD's.) Talking directly to people in your scene is always the best choice and is a whole lot more fun.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
The other day I made the mistake of replying to someone on Reddit. We were talking about Falco throws and I was told that looking at frame data, in general, as Falco is a waste of time. I was told I need to "feel it" more like Mango and Westballz instead of trying to understand what's going on.

To me, this conversation was a demonstration of what some people in this thread are saying. People on Reddit love to be the authority--even when they don't know what they are saying and/or nothing was said to indicate someone wanted advice. And most of the users don't even go to tournaments. Their "knowledge" comes 95% from commentary.

The cool thing about Reddit, though, is that you can just look at cool smash content really easily. If I want to see some gifs real quick or whatever, it's the place to be.

Sempai

Smash Ace
The other day I made the mistake of replying to someone on Reddit. We were talking about Falco throws and I was told that looking at frame data, in general, as Falco is a waste of time. I was told I need to "feel it" more like Mango and Westballz instead of trying to understand what's going on.

To me, this conversation was a demonstration of what some people in this thread are saying. People on Reddit love to be the authority--even when they don't know what they are saying and/or nothing was said to indicate someone wanted advice. And most of the users don't even go to tournaments. Their "knowledge" comes 95% from commentary.

The cool thing about Reddit, though, is that you can just look at cool smash content really easily. If I want to see some gifs real quick or whatever, it's the place to be.

I have to laugh when I see new players (~ 2 yrs or less) quoting D1 commentary like Gospel. This is their opinion and more often than not they are trying to fill dead space with commentary. It's not always top tier content. The BEST commentary is from a knowledgeable player who's been there and done that.

This is from Smash Summit and its 4 Gods commentating>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dmPObHXTqo&t
AND EVEN HERE, they screw around most of the time. Luckily its entertaining but how much knowledge do they really impart on the listeners?

However, I believe WOBBLES is one of the few peeps who has very insightful commentary.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Both have their high points but neither are amazing resources imo
o__________o

There is **** to sift through, but that's true of any board. There will always be some 'noise' that you need to ignore; Discerning what is noise and what is useful is part of improving as a player.

However, I believe WOBBLES is one of the few peeps who has very insightful commentary.
This is true, Smash is in dire need of more informed commentary.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I have to laugh when I see new players (~ 2 yrs or less) quoting D1 commentary like Gospel. This is their opinion and more often than not they are trying to fill dead space with commentary. It's not always top tier content. The BEST commentary is from a knowledgeable player who's been there and done that.

This is from Smash Summit and its 4 Gods commentating>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dmPObHXTqo&t
AND EVEN HERE, they screw around most of the time. Luckily its entertaining but how much knowledge do they really impart on the listeners?

i see what you did here

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i don't get it pls explain
Sempai is one of those smash YouTubers like GRSmash or Pengboys that do smash compilations with clickbait titles. He replied to my point about how new players with little experience are influenced too much by commentary with his bold opinion that the best commentary comes from knowledgeable players (mind blown). He used this as an excuse to post a link to one of his videos of stolen content.

Sempai

Smash Ace
Sempai is one of those smash YouTubers like GRSmash or Pengboys that do smash compilations with clickbait titles. He replied to my point about how new players with little experience are influenced too much by commentary with his bold opinion that the best commentary comes from knowledgeable players (mind blown). He used this as an excuse to post a link to one of his videos of stolen content.
That was the best commentary in my opinion because it was 4 gods all at the same time; even then, the commentary was mostly goofing off. I know I have a video of all 4 of them talking so I linked it as an example.

Wobbles is top tier commentary, witty and informative. The thing about PPMD is hes been gone for so long, anybody know if hes on his way back yet?

Happens2u

Writing Team
As someone who frequents both the SSBM and Smashbros reddits:

They majorly suck and I think most of it would end up being better if it was on Smashboards or another forum-style site. Reddit is just sucky in general.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
True as true can get. He and PPMD would be the ultimate knowledgeable commentary duo.
A combination like this might be good for experienced players to listen to, but video game commentary is a lot more deep than what we see on the surface. There are two reasons why games like counter strike and dota flourish competitively: commentary that appeals to everybody and support from developers. Unfortunately, there's not too much we can do about the latter, but the key to good commentary is to have a hype man and someone to provide facts. A lot of successful commentary duos in other games have a commentator to get the audience hyped up and a commentator to explain whats going on. While both commentators do a little of both, each has a specific role they mainly focus on. This is a recurring problem with smash. We either have two people on the mic like D1 and TKBreezy who both provide too much hype and not enough facts about the actual game, or we have the exact opposite. The other extreme would be a combination like -ACE- -ACE- described: Wobbles and PPMD. While both players are community veterans and have had their hype moments, they're both commentators who focus on fact. Two commentators talking about facts 90% of the time makes the commentary boring to newer players who might only have a basic understanding of what's going on. To be successful and appeal to everyone as an esports community, we need to adopt such habits that other esports communities have proven to be successful.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
iAmMatt iAmMatt I agree for the most part. Remember I said knowledgeable commentary and not best commentary when referring to Wobbles/PPMD. Also D1 is much more knowledgeable than you implied. EE and TKBreezy would probably be the ultimate hype squad (but lacking knowledge).

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
D1 is much more knowledgeable than you implied.
True. I guess I remember D1 for his hype moments with Prog. In their duo, I would argue that D1 is more of the hype man while Prog showed knowledge not only of the game, but of the players themselves.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
True. I guess I remember D1 for his hype moments with Prog. In their duo, I would argue that D1 is more of the hype man while Prog showed knowledge not only of the game, but of the players themselves.
I can see that. They are both well rounded and I think D1 actually adapts to whom he's commentating with to keep it well rounded overall. I've been watching D1 for probably 10 years, so I guess I know the knowledge he's dropped overall, but you're right that he doesn't always play that role as a commentator. My favorites would be hard to list, but I think Blur has come a long way knowledge wise in the past 3 years, as has Toph. I think Scar is garbage in the knowledge department but good entertainment sometimes, working decently with Toph. Waffles/phil are of course one of the best duos. Super hype while game knowledge is more than adequate. Chillin is excellent imo. Dogy was super good back in the day. MrBenReady from NC is hilarious and I hope he gets to commentate more. I actually like m2k too. He's obviously awkward at times but when that kid speaks I listen. All the gods and leffen are great.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I can see that. They are both well rounded and I think D1 actually adapts to whom he's commentating with to keep it well rounded overall. I've been watching D1 for probably 10 years, so I guess I know the knowledge he's dropped overall, but you're right that he doesn't always play that role as a commentator. My favorites would be hard to list, but I think Blur has come a long way knowledge wise in the past 3 years, as has Toph. I think Scar is garbage in the knowledge department but good entertainment sometimes, working decently with Toph. Waffles/phil are of course one of the best duos. Super hype while game knowledge is more than adequate. Chillin is excellent imo. Dogy was super good back in the day. MrBenReady from NC is hilarious and I hope he gets to commentate more. I actually like m2k too. He's obviously awkward at times but when that kid speaks I listen. All the gods and leffen are great.
It's arguable that all top players are good commentators. Their knowledge of the game is infinitely greater than other players'. Personally, I could listen to top players talk for hours on end. I spent about an hour at shine just listening to m2k talk during friendlies.

Popertop

Smash Champion
-ACE- -ACE- YES! Chillin is on my list of high-level players that should officially commentate more (i.e. be flown out to an event specifically for commentating)

iAmMatt iAmMatt I agree with you that all top players provide good commentary and are knowledgeable, but I would contest their knowledge being infinitely greater. There are many community members who aren't godlike players who specialize in the technical aspects of the game (Magus, Kadano, Scmooblidon to name just a few prominent ones).

Not to detract from what they have to offer, they are a valuable resource. But we (the community) should make more of an effort to bring hidden talent (in the commentary/presentation sense) to the forefront.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I also like vish and webs. Can't remember everyone atm. But they are definitely knowledgeable enough and entertaining.

Fendrick Lamar lacks knowledge but he's def not bad....

That Canadian guy that did the kage vs n0ne mcsmashter sets and n0ne's first win over m2k is pretty good. Not talking about coastward, but that guy is just the man in general.

Edit: the best thing about the gods is their insight. They're actually not great commentators per se. They just say the right stuff. They will cut to what's most important regarding a situation in a way that others don't think of.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
That was the best commentary in my opinion because it was 4 gods all at the same time; even then, the commentary was mostly goofing off. I know I have a video of all 4 of them talking so I linked it as an example.

Wobbles is top tier commentary, witty and informative. The thing about PPMD is hes been gone for so long, anybody know if hes on his way back yet?
I thought it was entertaining but not even close to the best. Everyone except for M2K was poking fun at how bad they were doing at legitimate commentary from what I remember.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I like Vish depending on who he's with. I think he works great with Wobbles, for instance. But sometimes he tries to be a hype commentator and does stupid things with his voice that drive me insane. I don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but it really gets under my skin lol

D1 is all over the place. Definitely more knowledgeable than people think. There's an unfortunate stereotype in the smash community that he's nothing but a hype man. What people don't realize is he's been playing for a long time and has a solid Fox. I played him once and he definitely knows his ****.

Fendrick Lamar is ok. He's somewhat knowledgeable, but I'm not really a big fan of his tone. It sounds fake.

Webs is cool. He seems decently knowledgeable and I think his tone is perfect for commentary. He sounds like he's talking naturally without trying to force hype or anything.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
There are many community members who aren't godlike players who specialize in the technical aspects of the game (Magus, Kadano, Scmooblidon to name just a few prominent ones).
This is incredibly true. I was comparing top 100 players to people who merely just play the game and don't delve too deep into technical aspects. The players you mentioned are all incredible when it comes to technical knowledge of the game. Also, sticking with the thread topic, we still see them posting on the boards frequently.

Top Bottom