• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think gamespot will give the game when it comes out?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lol, I don't care about ratings for this game period! I think Gamespot will give it anywhere betwee 7.8-8.5, about 8.2 being realistic. Ign on the other hand I see giving it somewhere between 8.8-9.4 because they know how to please dedicated fanboys. If this game get's lower ratings than Pokemon DP (the most unfortunate of all generations) there shall be hell to pay!

XxAlucardxX

Smash Cadet
I think ign gives better reviews but when i buy a game after reading a gamespot review its usually a good game and deserves the rating, except twilight princess, that should have been higher than 8.8 since warioware got a 9.1

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
It's actually kind of sad how many people still think that Gamespot uses .1 increments still.
And it's sadder (?) how many people still care about Gamespot's scores. Try the game yourself people, or failling that, go to gamerankings! Get the mean!

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Gamespot: 8.5 at best
Everyone else: 9.5-10

The reviewers at Gamespot are freaking stupid. They worship every generic shooter (and for some reason, Tony Hawk 3 for PS2 is their top game while GCN version got a 9), and they complain about games that are actually good.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Okay, found the actual quote.

"aside from a few minor additions and alterations to the fighting system, Super Smash Bros. Melee plays exactly like its predecessor."

...Dang Skippy?

XxAlucardxX

Smash Cadet
What is a good review website then? All the games ive bought after reading gamespot reviews were pretty accurate to the reviews and i think deserved what they got

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Most review sites use a crappy criteria, a subjective criteria; They rate the games based on the idea of the writer, and do no use an objective list of points to rate in a game.

spindash

Smash Ace
I'm trying me best to ignore reviews ENTIRELY so that if someone says a game is bad, I'll buy it and play it for myself and give it my OWN opinion.

That being said, the only reviews I tend to LIKE are the ones that come outta IGN. ^^

Cocoashadow

Smash Apprentice
SSBB gets a 7 for being too much of the same! Halo 3 is still great for keeping that classic halo formula!

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think 8.8 was way off (although considering the score for Tony Hawk's SB 3...) but what really threw me was the SIX/TEN it received from Edge Magazine. You should have SEEN the internet, man. I was, like, there and I shan't early forget it.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
What is a good review website then? All the games ive bought after reading gamespot reviews were pretty accurate to the reviews and i think deserved what they got
Gametrailers is pretty good, they usually give fair reviews, plus their video reviews are always fun to watch.

Also, you can't go wrong with Metacritic and Gamerankings, because since they give the average, 2-3 skewed reviews won't mess it up.

GameInformer magazine is usually all right, but it's made some reeeeaaally bad calls before(don't remember specifically).

I don't really use anybody else frequently, so I can't comment on the Gamespot, IGN, etc.

Noa.

Smash Master
Surprisingly, best game of the year was Super Mario Galaxy for Gamespot. I was shocked, utterly beyond belief.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Gamespot, I'm betting, will give it an 8.8.

IGN will give it a 9.4

1up will give it a 9.5

EGM will give it a 9.5/10/9

Darkurai

Smash Master
I'm going to pretend you said IGN instead of GameSpot. I'd say a 9/10. It could've gotten a perfect 10, but the online was really lacking.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
I will never understand why people care what score they give games.. I mean if you want to see a high score for a nintendo game, read nintendo power.

and yes gamespot blows.
Unfortunately, the correlation between game reviews and actual game sales is very close to one another; much more so than movies, tv shows, or any other form of media. I guess you can chalk that up to gamers doing their homework on certain games in order to avoid spending money needlessly or whatever reason. For sure reviews play an integral part (along with opinions of people they know) in a casual gamer's decision to try out a new kind of game. And so this is really the only reason why I care about reviews.

I already know which games I want to buy beforehand, but my money alone isn't enough to guarantee sequels of my favorite games or keep my favorite developers in business. They need to maintain a profit in order to do this, and sometimes reviews determine the fate of their future.

I completely agree about gamespot though. If I were a developer and wanted to score high points with them, I'd cast a heroine with jubblies holding oversized plasma guns in both hands. I bet I could score a 8.8 easily on the premise alone.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Honestly, why do people give a **** about game reviews from ANYONE? They're basically forcing people to accept their opinions as fact.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Honestly who cares what gamespot does? They were already biased and now we know that they clearly review games based on advertisers wants. Remember that guy got fired because he game Kane and Lynch a bad score? I stopped caring what they gave games a long time ago.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I'm not going to let a reviewer tell me whether or not I should buy a ****ng Smash Bros. game. There is no chance, unless I die, I will not get this game.(and even then I might still)

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
Man, so much blind GameSpot hate... you guys do know Metroid Prime, Wind Waker and Super Mario Galaxy have all been game of the year, right? So much for Sony fanboys.

They aren't idiots or biased against Nintendo. Twilight Princess essentially got a 9, that wasn't so bad. I expect a 9.0 or 9.5 really.

Smash Ace
by all means they should give it a 12/10.
However, knowing the n00bs there and that they gave FE10 a 6 because "it was hard" (true) and "it didn't have PS3 graphics" (no graphic improvement), I expect a 7. (they'll probably say the graphics are inferior to Halos' or what-not, not dissing on Halo or anything)
Oh, and about FE, hard games are the fun ones. graphics mean nothing.
=2007=

Top Bottom