• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about Zero Suit Samus's new look and moves?

Do you love Zero Suit Samus's new look/moves?

• I love both her new look and her moves!

Votes: 228 73.8%
  • I love her new look but I dislike her new moves

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • I dislike her new look but love her new moves

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • I hate what they did to samus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why the high heels?

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Sakurai trolling Ridley fans again

Votes: 27 8.7%

• Total voters

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
*Steals Porky's Spider Mech and goes back in time to the Pre-Brawl days.

Of curse.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I really don't see the problem. The character could hardly care if you were objectifying her for how she's posing or that she has heels, she'll just kick your butt for it anyway.

Also, sure, the fanservice argument can be made, but as has been said, this is a woman who can curl herself into a very tiny ball (and with her proportions, that can't be easy) and roll around, she's probably better at yoga than WFT with how she can move.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
^ They should give the roll as a crawl to ZSS. That way, everybody wins (well except Samus mains).

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
My only problem with the new ZSS outfit is that it looks too...shiny, I guess. I loved the smoothness of her Brawl outfit. Aside from that, I'm super excited to play as the new ZSS. I loved playing as her in Brawl, and now that they've beefed her up a bit, I'm sure she'll be even more fun to use. I am going to miss the recovery though. That move was incredible, and the new jet-boots boost jump just doesn't seem as useful. She loses a tether recovery with enormous range and a great move for stopping anything that's above you.

Maikou

Smash Ace
1: How is a vertical only tether really that good compared to the new recovery? we don't even really know everything about the new recovery yet. plus she still likely has her Side-B and grab moves for her tether as well.
2: Shiny is good. colorful graphics represent Smash's true nature far better than dark, gloomy, boring old Brawl's realistic graphics. and don't anyone dare say that the more realistic the better, because that's just a complete and total bullcrap lie.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
1: How is a vertical only tether really that good compared to the new recovery? we don't even really know everything about the new recovery yet. plus she still likely has her Side-B and grab moves for her tether as well.
2: Shiny is good. colorful graphics represent Smash's true nature far better than dark, gloomy, boring old Brawl's realistic graphics. and don't anyone dare say that the more realistic the better, because that's just a complete and total bullcrap lie.
I just personally liked the design of her old outfit more. And her recovery just had fantastic range. I assume her new one has good range too, but from footage from the direct, it doesn't look to be quite as far-reaching as her whip. Plus, as I said, the whip was great for stopping aerial opponents. The jet boots jump will leave ZSS vulnerable and falling through the air if you use it to hit someone above you the same way I usually used the whip.

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Zero Suit's up-b was the best tether recovery in the game but still came with a variety of problems. Notably it was very easy to cover her potential recovery vectors if you had an aerial with lingering active frames. Against a competent GAW, Pikachu or MK player, recovering as ZSS was really terrifying at times.

One of the benefits of having a command jump (in other words, a recovery special) is that they physically move your body closer to the stage with a hitbox that protects you while you're in motion. While having a tether is always a nice option, being limited to a tether recovery means timing "meaty" attacks against your recovery is very easy and safe, and also makes simply edgehogging you pretty easy. ZSS' recovery was really bad in Brawl sometimes because if you were forced to use your second jump before returning to stage, it simply became a matter of timing your edgehog correctly so that up-b wouldn't spike you, and then hitting her out of her down-b before she can flipstool.

ZSS' down-b acted as her recovery special, but didn't refresh if she was hit out of it. Since her new up-b will do that, ZSS now has a tether, her old Flip, a refreshable up-b, and a hopefully massive second jump. She has the full suite of recovery options in Smash 4.

Last edited:

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
Now that Zamus' up-b has been changed, she has much more variety. The new kick seems to pretty powerful and diagonal coverage is the best of both worlds. If I'm right, it looks like it doesn't make Zamus vulnerable if it hits an opponent, similar to Captain Falcon's and Ganondorf's, so she could easily follow up with her Flip Jump(?) and/or Plasma Wire, which seems to be back judging from screenshots, and will likely still tether. I hope her grab tethers now as well.

As for her design... I just don't see how it's more sexual or objectifying, or out of character. She has a mole, which is one skin flaw more than her next to plastic skin from Brawl. She's been beefed up in both the fat and the muscle department. She looks much more like the super human athlete she's renowned to be. Just look at those lean muscles! She looks like she's been jogging for days! Rather than the neutral look Zamus had in Brawl, she sees to have a permanent scowl. That matches her occupation and non Other M-characterization! It also makes her look much more serious. About the milkshakes... In Brawl, you could see the definite shape. In 4, they now look more like lumps. This is because the Zero Suit design in Brawl looked more like a second skin, which is impractical because it doesn't absorb damage as well as a skin tight piece of clothing. Being skin tight, it also perks up her milkshakes, but it's a small price to pay.

On to the boots. Out of character? Um, no. In Brawl, Zero Suit Samus' power lay in her kicks and air game. The heels, looking like they're metal, as long with the heel itself, will improve the power of her kicks. The rockets allow her to stay in the air longer, and maneuver easier. People complain they're ugly. That's what makes them make her in character. Samus is the kind of person who'd use any weapon she can regardless of how they look, and the boots fall under this.

In fact, they look like they're trying to detract attention from the breast area. Her hair is glossy, she gained the mole, the boots and bracelets are bold and glowing, and the Paralyzer seems much more defined than in Brawl. Though I'm worried about the concave in her stomach when she does certain attacks. Then again, she is flexible as heck.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I love her Shadow the Hedgehog heels and stuff, one thing about her is that she was weak in SSBB now to make her a real challenge, she was overpowered.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The problem with ZSS' breast area in the Wii U version, compared to the concept art and from what I can tell of the 3DS version, it's more like the Wii version, which was suction cup central. I hate talking about Other M, but the sports bra look in that area was an improvement design-wise.

I still don't like the heels because...
A - They were put into Other M for fetish reasons and go against previous design philosophies of the suit (AKA - 'don't make her shoes too high')
B - The "Jet Boots" are done as they are to cover up those fetish reasons
C - The "Jet Boots" go against the fact that Samus has Chozo DNA which in and of itself enhanches her natural speed and strength.

Same goes for the bracelets, I guess, but...yeah...a cavaclade of issues stemming from Other M are seeping into other areas where Metroid is represented, which I despise.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
The problem with ZSS' breast area in the Wii U version, compared to the concept art and from what I can tell of the 3DS version, it's more like the Wii version, which was suction cup central. I hate talking about Other M, but the sports bra look in that area was an improvement design-wise.

I still don't like the heels because...
A - They were put into Other M for fetish reasons and go against previous design philosophies of the suit (AKA - 'don't make her shoes too high')
B - The "Jet Boots" are done as they are to cover up those fetish reasons
C - The "Jet Boots" go against the fact that Samus has Chozo DNA which in and of itself enhanches her natural speed and strength.

Same goes for the bracelets, I guess, but...yeah...a cavaclade of issues stemming from Other M are seeping into other areas where Metroid is represented, which I despise.
what do the bracelets do any ways

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

I'm guessing those yellow visual effects have something to do with those bracelets. This is shown more in the bottom two pictures as opposed to the top one.

I really don't get it either, I guess that now that she has those jet boots they probably had to throw those in to further complement her whole look. It seems like they're there for aesthetic reasons, which is fine.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
what do the bracelets do any ways
Bro maybe she calls her ship with it, Check how many stocks she has left , Her % , What time it is? Could also just be some sweet technological interface for her to use.
OR maybe we should just fall under the assumption that she has a rave to go to after every match xD.

Farorae

Smash Ace
Isn't Samus naturally like 6 foot 3? I wonder how tall she is with those boots :p would probably tower over all the other smashers if they used real heights.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Bro maybe she calls her ship with it, Check how many stocks she has left , Her % , What time it is? Could also just be some sweet technological interface for her to use.
OR maybe we should just fall under the assumption that she has a rave to go to after every match xD.
um okay

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Personally the two times I played brawl I found myself doing much better with Zero suit samus than with normal samus, so her being a separate character entirely from her suit form is a welcome change.

Though my only question is why the heels? Jet boots are cool, even if they make her tower over everyone in smash realistically speaking, but the heel part makes me think weird silly design choice. Like the developers forgot women wear normal boots too.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Personally the two times I played brawl I found myself doing much better with Zero suit samus than with normal samus, so her being a separate character entirely from her suit form is a welcome change.

Though my only question is why the heels? Jet boots are cool, even if they make her tower over everyone in smash realistically speaking, but the heel part makes me think weird silly design choice. Like the developers forgot women wear normal boots too.
Gaijin Goomba's video. For once I agree with the idiots over at Screwattack over something.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Gaijin Goomba's video. For once I agree with the idiots over at Screwattack over something.
I don't really care about all the talk about whether she's sexualized or not, but the point about the rockets heels using the heel as like a tube for the blast is an interesting one that I'll be sure to remember. Thanks for showing me!

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Women wear all sorts of things.

IMO The het boots look pretty cool. The color kinda matches her hair, too.

Also, I like the new Zero Suit design.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
in love ! can't wait to play as her. since peach hasn't been playable anywhere, the hype for zss and zelda have grown
zss' new side smash is my favorite, it looks amazing. everything does ! look at this

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I dont know why people keep saying Samus isnt vunerable after her up B. She goes into a fall special animation. Her moveset is brilliant. Love her new fsmash, up B, down b, and dash attack ( though ill miss the DAZ lock). However the star of the show is her zair. WHY DOES ZAMUS HAVE A ZAIR?!?! its so amazing. I wonder if theyre going to let her keep it. Its honestly ridiculously good. Probably the best thing she got out of this entire upgrade.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I dont know why people keep saying Samus isnt vunerable after her up B. She goes into a fall special animation. Her moveset is brilliant. Love her new fsmash, up B, down b, and dash attack ( though ill miss the DAZ lock). However the star of the show is her zair. WHY DOES ZAMUS HAVE A ZAIR?!?! its so amazing. I wonder if theyre going to let her keep it. Its honestly ridiculously good. Probably the best thing she got out of this entire upgrade.
I think they were saying she won't be vulnerable if she hits someone because I don't think she does the kick if she hasn't hit anyone.
honestly we will have to wait and see they might change it or switch it back for release.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
Most definitely. In Brawl, her icon was pretty ugly, and her costume was like a rubber suit with no color. She also went from having one of the worst final smashes to one of the best. I love her new look, her icon is very solid, and her playstyle looks better.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053

I'm guessing those yellow visual effects have something to do with those bracelets. This is shown more in the bottom two pictures as opposed to the top one.

I really don't get it either, I guess that now that she has those jet boots they probably had to throw those in to further complement her whole look. It seems like they're there for aesthetic reasons, which is fine.
The 2nd Image...Samus gets her revenge on Little Mac!

Last edited:

kuk

Smash Cadet
As much as I love her new moves, I hate her new looks.

Samus isn't supposed to be curvy, she's supposed to be muscular or at least visibly toned. This doll is just a sex object now, it's so obvious when her waist can compete with a wasp, and her butt is the size of planet Jupiter. A well toned woman who works out doesn't look like that.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
As much as I love her new moves, I hate her new looks.

Samus isn't supposed to be curvy, she's supposed to be muscular or at least visibly toned. This doll is just a sex object now, it's so obvious when her waist can compete with a wasp, and her butt is the size of planet Jupiter. A well toned woman who works out doesn't look like that.
Arguments are easier to take seriously when you don't use absurd hyperboles. :p
Yes, she's sexualised, but she's not "just a sex object". It troubles me to hear people say that because it tends to reflect on themselves more so than it actually contributes to any reasonable discussion.

Her body shape can not be fairly compared to that of "well toned" women due to the degree to which her training with the Chozo has enabled her to perform inhuman tasks. Her body would have to contort, mold and stretch in bizarre ways to be able to enter "morph ball" mode, so seeing her waist contort as it does in still pictures does not necessarily point to sexualisation. Saying that she's "not supposed to be curvy" does not come across well; "athletic" and "muscular"/"visibly toned" do not necessarily go hand in hand. Note that she does not exert a great deal of physical, muscular strength in her games (and what she does do is enhanced by her suit/equipment); nigh-on all of her attacking is done with her weapons.

Heck, I dislike sexualisation as much as anyone else who dislikes it; I just think it's ignorant and, ironically, somewhat sexist to call a character with a history of independence (don't bring up Other M here) and remarkable achievements (i.e. saving the world) a "sex object" because she has curves.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Yes, she's sexualised, but she's not "just a sex object". It troubles me to hear people say that because it tends to reflect on themselves more so than it actually contributes to any reasonable discussion.

Her body shape can not be fairly compared to that of "well toned" women due to the degree to which her training with the Chozo has enabled her to perform inhuman tasks. Her body would have to contort, mold and stretch in bizarre ways to be able to enter "morph ball" mode, so seeing her waist contort as it does in still pictures does not necessarily point to sexualisation. Saying that she's "not supposed to be curvy" does not come across well; "athletic" and "muscular"/"visibly toned" do not necessarily go hand in hand. Note that she does not exert a great deal of physical, muscular strength in her games (and what she does do is enhanced by her suit/equipment); nigh-on all of her attacking is done with her weapons.

Heck, I dislike sexualisation as much as anyone else who dislikes it; I just think it's ignorant and, ironically, somewhat sexist to call a character with a history of independence (don't bring up Other M here) and remarkable achievements (i.e. saving the world) a "sex object" because she has curves.
Don't know how serious this person is. She joined today and her name is **** in swedish/norwegian. A troll that wants to parody "SJW"s maybe?

kuk

Smash Cadet

How is she NOT a sex object when she's presented in an unnecessary tight suit and have exeggarrated curves?

She can't enter morph all mode as Zero Suit Samus, though. And her Chozo training might not be relevant since it happened a long time before the actual games.

Do you agree that she should have an athletic build? Because with curves like those, there' no way her body is athletic. It's not that she HAS curves, all women have them, it's the fact that they're exeggarated just in order to make her look sexy.

Samus did have visible muscle tone in Super Metroid, then it was removed for some reason. Now she's just all curves.

Also, why doesn't Other M count? It's THE game that tells the story of Samus's life, and therefore it should count the most of all.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
How is she NOT a sex object when she's presented in an unnecessary tight suit and have exeggarrated curves?

She can't enter morph all mode as Zero Suit Samus, though. And her Chozo training might not be relevant since it happened a long time before the actual games.

Do you agree that she should have an athletic build? Because with curves like those, there' no way her body is athletic. It's not that she HAS curves, all women have them, it's the fact that they're exeggarated just in order to make her look sexy.

Samus did have visible muscle tone in Super Metroid, then it was removed for some reason. Now she's just all curves.

Also, why doesn't Other M count? It's THE game that tells the story of Samus's life, and therefore it should count the most of all.
Because being sexualised and being a sex object are not the same thing. :ohwell: The tight suit is certainly meant to be sexy, but it can also be rationalised in terms of functionality and ease of movement.

I'm not saying that her design makes perfect sense or isn't sexualised by any means; I just disagree with some of the things you said. :) She should be athletic, and what I'm seeing is that her build, as it is, indicates athleticness and flexibility due to her training with the Chozo. She does not necessarily need to be muscular (though I did forget about her model at the end of Super Metroid; I was thinking only of what we see of her actions in gameplay); also, her exaggerated curves do not nullify her body's athleticness despite being there for the purposes of sexualisation. I don't study anatomy or anything of the sort, so I don't claim to know how a woman's body should realistically look given her training; I just think that, chest aside, her build seems appropriate. :p

Other M does count, but it represented a departure from many of the things that players felt defined Samus; to many, it made her seem like someone other than who she was previously. I requested it not be brought up because I was referring to her character as depicted prior to Other M, which stripped down her independent persona significantly. :p

Last edited:

kuk

Smash Cadet
Because being sexualised and being a sex object are not the same thing. :ohwell: The tight suit is certainly meant to be sexy, but it can also be rationalised in terms of functionality and ease of movement.

I'm not saying that her design makes perfect sense or isn't sexualised by any means; I just disagree with some of the things you said. :) She should be athletic, and what I'm seeing is that her build, as it is, indicates athleticness and flexibility due to her training with the Chozo. She does not necessarily need to be muscular (though I did forget about her model at the end of Super Metroid; I was thinking only of what we see of her actions in gameplay); also, her exaggerated curves do not nullify her body's athleticness despite being there for the purposes of sexualisation. I don't study anatomy or anything of the sort, so I don't claim to know how a woman's body should realistically look given her training; I just think that, chest aside, her build seems appropriate. :p

Other M does count, but it represented a departure from many of the things that players felt defined Samus; to many, it made her seem like someone other than who she was previously. I requested it not be brought up because I was referring to her character as depicted prior to Other M, which stripped down her independent persona significantly. :p
Well, OK. I just don't see how someone as curvy as Samus can be athletic. An athletic build does not need to be all brawny and muscular, but the opposite also holds true - an athletic build is not super curvy. To be specific, her big (almost huge) butt and boobs do not belong on an athletic build. So what we basically disagrees on is if her curves nullifies her athleticness or not. I say yes, you say no.

BTW, I don't think Other M made her any less independent just because she showed weakness and emotion. She just wasn't that perfect, silent robot anymore which, obviously many, people came to associate her with.

Top Bottom