• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you like about playing Kirby?

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
The title speaks for itself, what do you like about playing Kirby in smash in the overall experience, or what made you play him? Stuff about his gameplay, like his fighting style, multiple jumps, or how cute he is. (Saying that you're a Kirby fan is too easy of an answer.)

Even though I am a Kirby fan, and that I decided to main him before the game even came out, I'd say that I like Kirby for his grab game and his maneuverability on ground and in the air, more like a balanced fighter who is dangerous equally on ground as in the air for his grabs/smashes and aerial combos with great effectiveness and power in exchange for weight and speed. Not to mention the his copy abilities, which are really entertaining to spam when you have it.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
I like kirby in smash because he has good options on the ground and the air has a ton of combos, his recovery is also pretty good as long as you don't waste his jumps, good kill power, and the ability to steal his opponents ability(usefulness aside i always thought it was cool how kirby could steal his opponents abilities had multiple jumps even before i got into the series). Honestly, Kirby is just really fun to play as to me. He also has the best victory taunts in the game it's just so adorable i can't help but smile every time i see it because he's just so frickin HAPPY!
https://youtu.be/vvfESbfqN6o?t=12m29s

pnoid

Smash Cadet
Part of it is I wanna see people when they get beaten by a pink fluff ball ! (harder to do that with kirby now-a-days, makes it more impressive)

The other part is his apparent attitude. Sure he likes winning, but he's happy when he loses too. Sincerely happy.

Unfortunately he appears to be not competitively viable (so far as we've seen). I stick with him out of stubborn devotion. Maybe it'll pay off as we use his customs more!

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Not competitively viable? Awful, sir, please take your blasphemy and return it to it's rightful place; your thoughts.

I use Kirby because Kirby's games are very important to me. They've gotten me through some tough times and I've met friends that have saved me from a terrible fate thanks to Kirby. I won't get too personal, but I've always had a soft spot and a deep love for Kirby and his series.
I'm also incredibly fond of how all the Kirby characters play. All of them are versatile, able to play aggressively or defensive well, all of them have a great combo game, and they all have fantastic recoveries with multiple air jumps.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I main Kirby because, he is my favourite video game character of all time, I adore his moveset, his playstyle absolutely suits me, I love his jumps, his recovery, and his d-air is so fun.

and to whoever said Kirby isn't competitively viable needs to rethink their life choices

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
Everything is competitive viable if you have the guts.

Anyway, Kirby is a little special for me. The Amazing Mirror was my first videogame ever, and also the first one I got with 100% completion. I always have a ton of fun playing Kirby games, no matter how I feel.

Gameplay wise, the copy abilities single handedly make Kirby awesome to play as. All the variations you can do with your playstyle depending on wich ability you have is amazing.

PGP

Smash Cadet
NNID
samwich42
3DS FC
3093-7123-8190
The (incredibly under-rated) combo game and the hype that comes with the meteor down-b custom

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I love his grab game and amazingly fast pummel. Aerials are fun to use as well.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I just..I love Kirby. I always have, I've loved his game, and I've loved him in Smash. Of course Sakurai reps his own characters well but Kirby feels very right.

His aerial game has always been a favorite of mine. Kirby dominates the air, this is obvious. All of his aerials are very good, and as @ DarkBlueSpark DarkBlueSpark said Kirby's grab game is very good too. Bthrow into mashed Bair is a super good combo.

Also Kirbycides, since they're amazing and I feel like the world's biggest jackass

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
I use Kirby because he makes it absolutely impossible for me to get salty. I'm not sure why exactly, but playing Kirby allows me to enjoy the game no matter what my goal or circumstances are in the fight.

D

Deleted member

I picked up Kirby not too long ago and let's just say I'm liking him a lot. I love all of his moves and not to mention he's adorable.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I started playing the series with Brawl, and Kirby was the character I fell in love with as soon as I picked him up:
Fantastic recovery
Excellent ground combos
Superb Grab game
Decent air game
Pretty solid specials (still miffed about Hammer Flip)
Just plain cute!
Yeah, he is extremely light, but that's a small price to pay for a character you love to play as. :)

Peko

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mashley
the fear factor a pink puffball can instil into the hearts of big bads like bowser, purely by using side-b and scaring them off.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
He's cute, and his playstyle fits me perfectly, it's simple but very good, and there aren't alot of characters like that.
I do love his grab and throws, his ariels are pretty cool.
His specials are unique as well and his inhale is what makes it very fun to play against some characters.
I never really played Kirby games, but ever since I played melee at a young age Kirby was always my favorite(until recently I actually realized of how awful he was) but he is still fun and cute.

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
Somehow, I've found that I can basically play him like a floaty Fox in smash 4...which has seriously lent a hand in him becoming my secondary, recently...It's also awesome that he got quite a few buffs in the latest patch that got rid of the original problems I had with him.

Ponytail

Smash Rookie
I always played Kirby because he was the only Nintendo character I had any real connection to in my childhood. Like yeah, Mario was there but he only seemed to be there because he was a classic. I don't think Mario would be popular today if he wasn't popular in his first game and the semi-elderly's weren't all like "Marios was so cool and you should like him and OH LOOK SUPER MARIO GALAXY PLAY THIS NOW YOU'LL LOVE IT"

So yeah, I cared more about Kirby. Secondly, he's a freaking crazy character. I mean look at this horrifying combo monster that rack up 30% before you have a chance to do a thing about it. His air game is glorious, I mean look at dat up air, nair, bair, dair and fair... oh did I list all of them? Plus, the Inhale is beautiful.

I also originally played him in Brawl where he didn't have a single terrible match-up. It wasn't a matter of "Oh you picked this guy and that's why I lost" it was almost always dependent on skill as to who won. Because of me playing him so much in Brawl, that skill came over into 4 and oh look they changed the hammer AGAIN, so much for that air combo I worked on.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
kirbys copy ability...whenever I fight against a Skulk I get giddy. Monondo Kirby is top tier.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
His huge amount of flexibility and just because he's Kirby. That guy is just too lovable. :kirby:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I love the series, sure, but when I started off, my main was Lucario. Then I switched to Kirby, same as in Brawl. Not just for the "honesty" (though I appreciate that), but many other things.

I love copy abilities, and I try to practice with them so that I can use them as well as or better than that character's mains. The combo game is also super real. The terrible range sucks, but hey - tradeoffs.

It's kind of weird - there are sexier characters to play as (Falcon) and the like, but Kirby just... fits.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Definitely the Copy Abilities. There's the thrill of the Inhale chase, whether as Kirby trying to take the ability, or going up against him trying to wall him out. When folks like :4duckhunt:, :4charizard:(if Flare Blitz is being spammed), :4robinf:, or especially :4alph:, :4pacman:, or :4shulk: are on the field, I will make a mad dash to them to try to take their abilities, since they are among the best out of everyone, especially the last 3 folks. The moment their abilities are taken are often the turning point of the match where I start to run it back, and depending on how well I can make use of those abilities, I can straight up steal the momentum away from them and possibly the rest of the match, whether in FG FFA, Teams, or even 1v1.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Lovely and variated ground game, many options, little lag on aerials, can copy neutral B's and GOSHDANG THIS GUY IS THE CUTEST THING I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.
All in all, Kirby is a fun character that can be great to use at any level of skill! very rewarding for anyone willing to give him lotta practice in high level playing.

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
What i like about Kirby is his array of options both on the ground and in the air. If he wants, he can pull a sick combo on the ground and continue in in the air, Kirby can really pack a punch. Another enjoyable aspect of Kirby is his size. Being one of the smallest characters in the game can really come in handy sometime. Just crouching can avoid a good amount of attacks the roster has to offer. I could go on and on about how much I love Kirby, but the last thing i want to do is write a novel, with sequels and prequels. Long story short, Kirby is an amazing character, and I wouldn't trade him for the galaxy!
:kirby: :4kirby:

Gamin'Snow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowcracker
Well for one thing, I've been playing as the little guy ever since I tried a game demo of Melee. I think at first, I just liked him because his recovery was nice and easy for a beginner like me (And he was the first character I recognized in the roster), and because he was so gosh darn adorable! (Them hats, though).
Now in Sm4sh, I appreciate the little guy for his versatility with inhale and the pretty beastly air combos (Even if the hammer flip got replaced).

I-B

Smash Rookie
NNID
I-Brawler
His down air. :0

Such a good move. Meteors offstage and combos into other things as well as KILL MOVES on the ground. (ie down smash)

D

Deleted member

Simple character. Copying B-Moves is something i like to do and i can't resist ignoring. And all the other "all-around" stuff.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I like the hats, mostly. Using your opponent's moves against them is pretty fun, too.

Van Latimore III

Smash Rookie
I feel like I have a lot of trouble with his grabs. I read a lot about how people love his grabs but I have issues with getting to them. Any tips on how to improve the grab game with him? Some of the things I love about him is his off stage recovery as well as his hit combos. When hit just right they become a pain to defend. I think he has improved a lot from the last few smashs. I was at one time a heavy Marth user, but made my switch to Kirby and love him. With 4 I am trying to get better with him to keep him as my main but I am having issues with learning how to be more patient. It is coming. But I have faith I will get better with him.

tinkerttoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
tinkerttoy
3DS FC
5086-2892-6087
Well, I love Kirby, first off.
What makes him really satisfying to play is probably his transitional game. With proper use of a dair or a canceled fair, you can create and extend combos on the fly. There's nothing better than linking a dair on a low-percent character into a series of utilts then finishing them off with a nair that sends them flying. His throws are incredibly satisfying as well--not good in damage, combo, or kill potential, I'll admit, but they feel satisfying, which is what's important.
Frankly, even if he didn't have any of that, I'd still play him for his excellent downtaunt. I make sure to start any match, For Fun or For Glory, with a nice, friendly, "Hi!" (Then, let them have it if they use the opportunity to approach.)

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I love Kirby games. My main is Dedede and I find it very flavorful to have Kirby as a secondary. Sometime in a competition or a tournament, I'll change my name to "4Dreamland".
I like Kirby's pressure and combo game, I like multihit moves.

And, I mean, Kirby is easely the most adorable and innocent character in Smash, what's not to love about him?

Last edited:

AutismSpeaker

Smash Rookie
Agreed.

I grew up playing and coming to enjoy Kirby games. Naturally, I main Kirby in SSB4 because he's fun for me to use. Easy recovery, good pressuring ability, fast and strong...I'm a Kirby fan for life.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
Well, being a Kirby fan and the cuteness are the main reasons why Kirby instantly became my main when starting to play Smash (yes, Melee), and I never switched mains.

But specific traits in Smash I like are flying/floating/recovery, the swallow move (copying opponents for fun, but also Kirbycide), and in Smash 4, the satisfaction of smashing an opponent with a fully charged fiery hammer is amazing.

I also just love playing as a small, cute pink puffball who is seen as a weakling, but beating the crap out of big, evil monsters like Ganondorf and Bowser.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Kirby's a character I've always had an attachment to throughout all Smash games by virtue of being a hardcore Kirby aficionado.

Otherwise, the way I play him is very rushdown heavy that can dish out damage in quick spurts with his low cooldown ground options. His floatiness and multiple jumps makes his air combos flow as well as Jigglypuff's would. Grab game is amazing too, as you can lock down your opponent for a quick pummel or two before bursting them down with a Down Throw or use Up Throw or Back Throw to kill them at higher percents.

Of course, Kirby's most notable for having one of the most unique utilities in the entire Smash series with his Copy Abilities. Something I aim to weave into my approaches that most players don't do is secure a Copy Ability. I love to incorporate different Neutral Specials into different situations, especially if they are from characters I main or sub.

For example, if I inhale Robin, I have full access to the four Thunder projectiles for different setups. Maybe I want to set off a laggy attack quickly with a Thunder and dash in or combo some tilts and grabs. Maybe I want to throw out some Elthunders to knock opponents further back or bait out dodges for punishes. Maybe I see my opponent caught in a laggy attack animation or advantageous position and throw out Arcthunder relatively close to build up damage or kill them, which the latter would be better used with a Thoron.

More straightforward examples might be to throw out Mario's Fireball to be some quick hurtstun frame to start up a combo, interrupt, or punish. Or how about using Marth/Lucina's Shield Breaker for some spaced-out pokes or to fully charge it to get closer to a part of the stage fast.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I didn't know Kirby until I got Melee in 2002 and I started to take a liking in him. Once I started to main him(even though he was in awful in Melee XD), I begin to pick up Kirby Air Ride, and Kirby: The Amazing Mirror, and I started to love the series very much. His playstyle was suitable to me along with Mario, Pikachu, and Luigi; Also, his copy ability was a plus. In Brawl, I enjoy maining him even more along with SSE since I can be creative with stickers to power up the puff ball. In Smash 4, I still play him even though I didn't enjoy the changes on Kirby until the patch. After that, he was my main again.

Some of the copy abilities that I enjoy the most in Smash are: Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Marth, Lucian, Ike, Robin, Ness, Lucas, Sheik, Samus, and G&W.

FirstaLasto

Smash Cadet
I've been maining Kirby since Smash 64 and this was long before I knew what a tier was. I am someone who likes to play on random because I like a lot of diversity between matches. When you main Kirby, each matchup gives you an entirely new move in his copy ability, and thats why I main him.

...also because he's adorable.

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
While I do love Kirby, that is not why I main him. There are a LOT of characters I love in this roster, and I would love to main Peach, Rosalina, or Ivysaur (add Ivy plz), but none of them really feels right in my hands.

There's something about the way kirby moves in this one that just agrees with me. Maybe I just have an affinity for floaties, and Kirby is one of the floatiest.

Top Bottom