• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you like about playing Kirby?

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I always played Kirby because he was the only Nintendo character I had any real connection to in my childhood. Like yeah, Mario was there but he only seemed to be there because he was a classic. I don't think Mario would be popular today if he wasn't popular in his first game and the semi-elderly's weren't all like "Marios was so cool and you should like him and OH LOOK SUPER MARIO GALAXY PLAY THIS NOW YOU'LL LOVE IT"
Wow. I completely disagree. I love Kirby... but Mario is timeless.

Gildiss

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9270-5127
I like Kirby as a character and I love his fast attacks and his hammer which is very satisfying to land. I rarely use the copy abilities however.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Kirby is adorable and the idea of beating others with small cute characters heavily appeals to me.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I pretty much use Kirby because of Kirby Superstar. That game was the first platformer that I ever played, and it was so awesome. That game was just so epic, and left a lasting impression on me ever since.

Then came Smash Bros 64, and Kirby basically was the perfect fit for me as a child. He had a great recovery, and could copy abilities. Melee I never played competitively, so he always felt fine to me. Brawl was the first game where I actually took the back seat on using Kirby, simply because of all the amount of characters that game had. When Smash 4 came out, a lot of people said that certain moves got nerfed, and I wanted to see what the fuss was about so I tried using him.

Ever since then, Kirby has become my main in Smash 4. I got too used to using him and he was the only character that I was able to win with for a good minute. I play a variety of other characters now, but Kirby still remains to be my best in Smash 4.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I am a very emotional player. How I feel dictates exactly how I will play.

Kirby's play style and options are so satisfying, and I've gotten combos from about 0 - 80% before. Even if Kirby has few kill options, I like that. You have to think more, and be smart with your choices. A whiffed Fsmash could cost you the set, and the mind games are incredible with Kirby.

I had a very had time in my life a few years ago, but when I would play Kirby games or watch videos of Kirby, I would be happy. Kirby is stupidly uplifting, and has always been apart of my childhood, Amazing Mirror being one of my most played games of all time.

I have gained so much knowledge about Kirby, some of which I don't tell people, but every time someone says Kirby isn't viable it makes me want to play them. I am SO determined to show the potential of this character, the play style fits my personality incredibly well, and I have been getting BARELY out of top 8 in the big tournaments in my area.

Most of the reason is, I discovered a lot of Kirby on my own, and I take pride in that. Kirby makes me happy, so that's pretty simple.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
here:
the Alts
The Kirbycides (INSTANT WIN NNNNN)
dair-> up/side Smash or Tilt
Dair->up Smash KIELLL COMBO
his Disrespect: Dair, doesn't even have to fully hit :D
ADORABLE-NESS
unexpected Hammer
Abilities and Hats
Decent Combos

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Like many here, the main reason I started using Kirby is because I've always been a massive Kirby fan with the little guy's franchise being my all time favorite, even more so that Mario, Pokemon, and Smash Bros. (Which is REALLY saying something.) After I saw his anime and played Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby Air Ride, I was hooked on him.

Now as for why I like playing him, I was a little kid and got the N64 at the end of its life cycle so I missed Smash 64. I actually first started to play him Melee. I loved his playstyle. The Down B and Inhale were fun to use and liked having multiple jumps. It was good for a begininer like me. Since I was young, I never got to see just how underpowered he was in that game.

Then came brawl where got considerably buffed. At first I tried feeling around several characters to see which I liked most .Then I played Subspace Emissary where he got a lot of screen time and fell in love with his physics once more to the point of maining him. And that has continued into Smash 4 where I've become much better player overall, thanks in no so small part to being able to watch people like Triple R and Mike Kirby in action. I am aware of his weaknesses like being easy to KO, having poor approach, and low range. But at this point he just feels too natural for me to NOT use him. Even though is air speed is poor, he still feels great in the air. Having those multiple jumps makes me feel safer when I go off stage and his tilts just come out so quick. I especially love how effective his D-Tilt and Up Tilt are along with the buffed D-Air. Since the game's release, I've become proficient with a bunch of other characters, but only as backups. Kirby is still remains the main and likely will so for a long time to come. Another nice benefit is that since he isn't exactly dominating the competitive scene right now and still has reputation for being bad (which is just flat out false) he'll likely only be buffed for the foreseeable future and I feel that he's just few key buffs away from being perfect for what he is.

Top Bottom