• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you hate most about YoungLink?

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Yea I'm gonna have to agree with Jash on that one. If the person can DI then you can't do it. The only way to do it would be if it's your first attack that hits which is unlikely since most people pull out a bomb and either throw it right away or use the boomerang as their first attack.

Chip.

you know what to do
That's why you Bomb cancel your spin attack, guys ;)

Aniki is the master of doing that. :chuckle:

Hmm, well, nonetheless, it's always good to do an upB out of your shield at low percents, or so I thought.

I'll have to check myself if this DI at low low percents is possible :dizzy:.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Would that make you very happy if they did have a laijin colored ylink...........................and just what color would laijin look like?

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
that's amazing..

I hate that he doesn't have very many good killing move (i mean, what is there besides uair and dair?) And I hate how is jump is so short.
Your forgetting his Dsmash and the second part of his Fsmash which a lot of peopel don't use anyway, and you can also kill with his nair.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Yes, L33teHaxor is right.

nair is the one I prefer (no lag, and if you hit in the beginning...). He has 5 movements so far to kill, and very useful all of them (3 of them are like "sex kicks"), so I don't think that's something bad for YL. (I used PAL Marth, and HE has not any movements to kill, excepting utilt and fsmash... nair almost never killed)

Several guys out there have pointed out Young Link's Spike... but so far, the com has meteor-cancelled me twice. I think only Marth and Falco have Spikes... (maybe com meteor-cancelled in PAL... dunno).

Oh, yes. The worst thing about YL is his grab. It's very risky, as I said in other post... so I'm not skillful enough to use it mindgaming :S and VERY ****ING SHORT.

marthbeatsroy

Smash Cadet
The thing I hate the most is his taunt. I know I'm supposed to throw the boomerang before anything, but I'm simply not used to that, as I usually spin between the Dr., Mario, Peach, link, marth, young link, and (recently) Mr. Game and Watch. Because I'm generally good with all these characters (the links and marth specially), I usually forget their main attributes.

I also hate his short sword. I usually pick the links and marth because I like swordsmans (I don't pick roy because my brother *always* plays with him, and I mean that in a literal term. I hate playing with the same character, even if the costumes are different, specially in smash bros; although the looks are the same, the voices aren't and that's very irksome). I love the swordsmanship because of the sword's attribute; it's not part of the body, so the character's immune to anything that the sword touches. Young link is barely any different from a normal punch or kick.

I do love him though, and he's fun to play with, and my pro overcome his con; at the end of the day he's still my son

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Ylink has projectiles for a reason so use em and you'll have more range, and besides the projectiles set you up for combos.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
one time i heard "Young Link has a really long range"

at first, i didnt know wat he was talking about, because ylink's stubby legs, and short kokiri sword have no range at all. turns out he was talking about his projectiles lol. if u cant even get his projectiles out in the first place, Ylinks range greatly shortens then

anotehr thing i hate about Ylink : projectile startup lag. it takes a good amount of frames for Ylink to pull out his boomerang, bomb, and bow.
basically u have to run away most of the match if u wanna spam projectiles.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
The lag from ylink taking out his boomerang is so that it can give you time to throw it in the direction you want, that much i understand. I understand the lag from him taking out the bomb too but what I don't understand is why there's so much lag from him taking out the bow.

Bane

Smash Journeyman
The lag from ylink taking out his boomerang is so that it can give you time to throw it in the direction you want, that much i understand. I understand the lag from him taking out the bomb too but what I don't understand is why there's so much lag from him taking out the bow.
I don't think anyone can answer that question (unless we haul out the developers responsable and flogg them with ketchup filled tubesocks until they finally give in and tell us). The best answer i can muster would be an attempt to impose logic on a completely illogical game (I don't want to know where he pulls all those bombs out from).
Seriously though, stringing a bow on the fly isn't easy, it takes time. Y. link actually does it quite quickly when you think about it. There aren't preloaded bows that Y. link van whip out, in the later LoZ games there is startup lag for reloading with your bow, and I suppose that's what the developers wanted to reflect. There's probably not a strategic reason for it though (unless you want to explain an attempt to smuggle ketchup filled tube socks into Japan for a little freestyle interrogation to customs).

MG-Z

Smash Rookie
but I've always liked having to be in the fray and doing some nasty combos and rack up damage. Y link gets ***** that way, hence the projectiles :p
I beg to differ, although I use some projectiles for stunning methods, most of the time i'm meleeing the **** out of my opponent.

MrMojoRisin

Smash Apprentice
I beg to differ, although I use some projectiles for stunning methods, most of the time i'm meleeing the **** out of my opponent.
I don't believe you because all of his up close attacks are crouch canceled at such high % it's a joke. Other than that he's so fun to play.

MG-Z

Smash Rookie
I don't believe you because all of his up close attacks are crouch canceled at such high % it's a joke. Other than that he's so fun to play.
fine, as soon as I get a chance to record a match i'll show you..

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Of course it's not heavy, strong, or have a big range. He's just a small kid, what was you expecting??

The only thing that's wrong with him is the lag of some attacks, when they're supposed to be very fas. EG: throwing/pulling back the boomerang, picking up a bomb, charging your arrow, grabbing etc. That stop y.link from being the fast comboer and projectile spammer it was supposed to.

Just my opnion.

Jash

Smash Lord
I still hate his hookshot till this day, and look at the date this thread was created. I HATE HIS HOOKSHOT!!! its too short and its shorter then it looks. *sigh* its sad.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I just love how MOST OF HIS MOVES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED AS LINKS.(I even checked SDM's frame data) I mean seriously, if he's supposed to be faster than Link, why are all his attacks the same speed as Link!!?? The only moves faster are his f-tilt, nair, and arrow. WTmothafreakin'F. It pisses me off so much so that his jabs, but especially the GRAB are the same speed. Shorter hookshot should equal shorter lag, at least, but no, the developer's had to be smoking something, and thought, hey Young Link's grab is shorter, but what the hell, let's give it the same lag, anyway! WTF, Young Link is the speed to Lnik's power, yet practically the only thing they boosted was his running speed. They couldn't even make Young Link FF or regular fall just as fast as Link. No, they decided, let's make him even slower in the air! *grumble* for Brawl, they better give Young Link more unique moves tailored to speed, instead making every move the same from Link. Something similar to how Luigi is to Mario, but a bit more drastic.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I hate the fact that Link has the upper hand on him in everything except speed and projectiles, which makes an easy fight for Link players against Young Link players.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Beg to differ.

To those talking about Ccing young link's attacks...no not really, most of his attacks can't be unless you are ganon, samus or someone with good ability to do it. Marth, who I play, can't unless low damage and even ganon can't at mid %s, who I also play.

A few of his attacks can at high % but that shouldn't matter much.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Probably his worst feature is his roll - very short and slow with lots of vulnerable frames at the end.

Top Bottom