• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do the Melee Legends think of P:M?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Project M was taken.
Nice try SB, but im not gonna fall for that propaganda. I know the pmbr's true intentions, to try and make pm EXACTLY like melee, but you realised that if it was exactly like melee no one would download it, so the pmbr decides to deny that the "m" meant melee, and they went back and changed all their accounts to just "Project M" but alas, youtube does not allow name changes, so they cannot cover up the last standing piece of evidence of their master plot. You thought your clever little "Project M was taken" statement was gonna fool me? THINK AGAIN! I see right through your clever little tricks

Talk your way out of that one, if you can

Jacob29

Smash Ace
What actually are the differences between Melee and PM?

I always hear people say Falco and Fox feel different but why?

What is ACTUALLY different?

And no I'm not talking about the nerfs that they received.

MVP

Smash Ace
at this point, i don't care what melee legends think

-PM 3.0

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

they aren't differences with the characters in particular, they are (very, very slight) differences with the game's physics and the way it reads inputs.

Different control stick sensitivity makes dashes/smash/fast fall inputs easier/quicker to do but walking/tilt input less lenient.
One frame momentum delay, making changes to momentum like dashing, jumping, airdodging, etc happen on frame later.
These two together actually cause a lot of the complaints you see about the game feeling floaty, because the timing for a fast fall is different.

There's lot of other little things too, I'd guess that probably the control stick sensitivity difference is what primarily makes the game feel different for someone who plays a lot of melee.

ArtehFX

Smash Apprentice
i dont get why people take PM so seriously, personally i find it just as a side game cause the skill cap between PM and Melee is so huge that this makes PM more of a casual game.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
i dont get why people take PM so seriously, personally i find it just as a side game cause the skill cap between PM and Melee is so huge that this makes PM more of a casual game.
i dont think anyone is taking you seriously via this post.

MLGF

Smash Lord
That's such a lofty claim without any examples to back it up, do you really expect people to take you seriously?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I don't get why people take melee so seriously, I mean 7 characters? Please even a 3 year old can learn that tiny amount of match-up information. And pm has many more advanced techniques compared to melee, just proving how close pm is to the skill ceiling and how close melee is to the floor, I consider melee more of a casual game

ArtehFX

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why people take melee so seriously, I mean 7 characters? Please even a 3 year old can learn that tiny amount of match-up information. And pm has many more advanced techniques compared to melee, just proving how close pm is to the skill ceiling and how close melee is to the floor, I consider melee more of a casual game
Technically, those "advanced techniques" are mostly brawl techniques.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Technically, those "advanced techniques" are mostly brawl techniques.
I doubt that you understand the depth of pm, and that advanced techniques could be useful, regardless of what game they are from, I see your limited understanding of the game has looped back around to once again make you look like an ignorant smudge of smegma

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)

XD LOL i'm surprised there isn't two pages full of this guy vs the world yet, but i guess its bc smashboards is going down all the time

anyways, if you really wanna talk about the skill gap, melee is a joke compared to PM when it comes to character match-ups, techniques, and everything else in general, if you wanna be good in melee you need to have solid tech-skill (which isn't hard unless your a fox main) and learn like what? 64 matchups? that might sound like alot but thats NOTHING compared to PM's 1,681 match-ups, can you handle that much? Not to mention all of the new stages available, all of the character dependent techniques and not being able to completely destroy a yoshi main now, or a mewtwo main, or a roy main, or a link main

When you take all of that into account, Melee has almost nothing on PM, mainly sfx and other engine mechanics that haven't been done yet, but when 3.0 comes out, it won't even have those few things to back it up

please think about what you say, especially if you have no idea what your talking about

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why does every post defending Melee or Project M here have to insult the other game=??? :facepalm:

Can't we all just laugh at Brawl PlayStation All-Stars together=??? :awesome:

I don't play Falco, but with Fox, the physics still feel fairly different, some of the timing is off, and some of his shine stuff feel weaker.

Still, it isn't a huge difference (pre-2.5 it was a big issue, which is why I generally avoided Fox), but it is a few different little issues here and there.

Fortress

Smash Master
Are people really getting worked up over this?

Not that I agree with the sentiment that P:M is a casual game where Melee is somehow extremely different, but, the thread title is practically asking for that sort of response. I mean, come on, you guys started this thread, you should expect that kind of response out of portions of the Melee community. It's, like, 'duh'.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All Smash games are party games, because if you aren't having a party (and instead you're wasting your time trolling or hating on others), you're doing it wrong.

Have a party however you want to have it.

MVP

Smash Ace
with 3.0 coming out, we will see many, unknown, unappreciated, masters of their character, legends and myths emerge..​
Low tier heroes coming back from the grave, taking upon them their favorite character, once again, and battling forward in righteousness with new found glory.​
As it is written amen.​
-Smash bible: PM: verse: 3.0

Smo

Smash Journeyman

What are you even basing this on? Why does PM have a lower skill cap than Melee? It has some slight physics differences, but I don't see how this makes the skill ceiling any higher or lower? Plus surely with more viable characters, there is even more to learn about the game?

PM's 1,681 match-ups,

Or 861 matchups, if you don't count A vs B and B vs A as separate.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
glad to see melee players can apparently execute one-frame DACUSes now with ease

no wait that one-frame timing doesn't count b/c it's a brawl tech SORRY

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see you guys still bombarding the same user for a subjective statement in a thread that asks about opinions.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Glad to see you guys still bombarding the same user for a subjective statement in a thread that asks about opinions.

Since when was saying "Melee has a higher skill cap" a subjective statement?

There is in fact.. nothing subjective about that.

p.s. this website sucks on phones.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
Since when was saying "Melee has a higher skill cap" a subjective statement?

There is in fact.. nothing subjective about that.

p.s. this website sucks on phones.
Subjective as in based on a person's opinions or beliefs--unless of course you're saying it's objective and should be universally accepted that "Melee has a higher skill cap". But that would mean contradicting your previous impression on the topic.
Just wanted to clarify things. Good bye

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
breaking news: communities don't like it when you actively spread misinformation about what they like, more at 11

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
The witty responses that people come with on this fourm are quite hilarious; Grammar correcting, seeing who knows the most intricate words, correcting sentences (fragments etc), and a whole other load of things.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Subjective as in based on a person's opinions or beliefs--unless of course you're saying it's objective and should be universally accepted that "Melee has a higher skill cap". But that would mean contradicting your previous impression on the topic.
Just wanted to clarify things. Good bye

I am aware what subjective is.. I'm just saying that the statement "Melee has a higher skill cap" is not subjective. It is objective.

However it is ALSO wrong.

I'm saying that PM has a higher skill cap. Now that doesn't make it a better game (although I personally think it is), but it is objective that there is more things in PM. There are more viable characters sprouting more common matchups and demanding more knowledge. There is all the same tech that was in Melee (wavedash etc) but with additional tech from brawl (dacus) which together makes a higher cap.

Again.. this isn't me saying PM > Melee. But I am saying that objectively PM has a higher skill cap.

MLGF

Smash Lord
If your argument has poor grammar, I'm more likely to perceive you as unintelligent and uneducated, hence I'm more likely to take you seriously.
Do you really think any man who changed the world with his words would have been successful with going "U GUIZ NEED 2 CHANGE THINGS A-HOLES!" No, people would roll their eyes and consider that person as an ignorant fool. While this is small scale, the point still stands. If you want me to care about what you say, say it well. I don't care for your opinion on a subject, even if it may have backing, if you argue like a twelve year old.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
The witty responses that people come with on this fourm are quite hilarious; Grammar correcting, seeing who knows the most intricate words, correcting sentences (fragments etc), and a whole other load of things.
Come at me you plebian. I am the ****ing pinnacle of man, both body and mind. I'll have you know that I will be attending an Ivy league university, completely payed off by scholarships, with the leftover money used to buy myself a luxury vehicle. My grade point average is perfect point O. After I finish my dual bachelors I will be accepted straight away into the doctorate program. I will have two doctorate degree's by age twenty-five, owe zero debts, and make more money a year than you will in a lifetime. Go ahead and respond, doing so only proves my point to such an extent that you might as well just beg to suck my **** and eat my bodily waste, so that maybe an iota of my greatness may pass upon to you.

Sorry I'm pretty high right now

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the idea that opinions should be cherished like a fragile gem is incredibly moronic to begin with

fight them. criticize, be doubtful of the **** you read. this is competent discussion 101, you need to do this in order to get any better as a person. if someone says two plus two equals five, they should not feel personally offended when you point out otherwise, because being wrong is how you start being right

if you honestly think the sentence "saying that a skill cap is lower than another game, when matchups are multiplied immensely, is objectively a stupid statement to make" is somehow a life-ending bound of hostility, there's some problems that need addressing, and it's not on the people saying it

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
ignore this
-------------------------------------------------------so i wont double post---------------------------------------------

Come at me you plebian. I am the ****ing pinnacle of man, both body and mind. I'll have you know that I will be attending an Ivy league university, completely payed off by scholarships, with the leftover money used to buy myself a luxury vehicle. My grade point average is perfect point O. After I finish my dual bachelors I will be accepted straight away into the doctorate program. I will have two doctorate degree's by age twenty-five, owe zero debts, and make more money a year than you will in a lifetime. Go ahead and respond, doing so only proves my point to such an extent that you might as well just beg to suck my **** and eat my bodily waste, so that maybe an iota of my greatness may pass upon to you.

Sorry I'm pretty high right now
lol well my intellect is plummeting deeply into this earth and will soon implode it and everything that exist just because of how much nonsense is packed in my brain. So you stand no chance

Top Bottom