• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do keyboard players do during tourneys?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Lol, this thought just randomly popped into my head today.
If your a good keyboard player and think you would do fairly well vs others on a console do you bring a keyboard to tournies or do you just not go to them?
I heard from dandan that alot of good european smashers use keyboard so I assumed that there were some keyboard offline tournies, but now im not so sure
Anyone wanna fill me in?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
keyboard offline o.o

Just use the **** controller, even if it means you'll be worse than normal. Of course you can just camp all day for the win.

dandan

Smash Lord
there aren't really any 64 tournies in europe :S
well, there isn't any place with regular 64 tournies except for cali as far as i know.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Who said you can't use both? I use KB for emulator and hori minipad for console. It just takes some matches to switch from one to another and play well.
Its better to use only one thing, but sadly theres no adapter for this kind of controller.

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
This is relative to my interests

You should make a request at haunted360 dot com

They make n64 custom stuff like portables and stuff

If you are allowed a GC controler, Hori Minipad, Keyboard should be treated the same. It is a different sort of controller that doesn't have anything that is illegal unless you macro.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
real smash/fake smash has nothing to do with controllers, you can play in different controllers in console too... Nothing is absolutely "real" smash by this logic.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Meh I'm pretty sure if you came to a Halo tournament with a mouse and keyboard you're gonna get kicked out. For smash though it's not really an advantage so it'd probably be ok.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Switching from KB to controller is not easy, and if you're not fluent in both you're gonna be garbage at any offline tourneys. I don't think there is an adapter. Basically, if you're a keyboard-only player, you can't play offline, unless they're willing to let you play on PJ64.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
im a kb user and went to a tourney
lost to the winner of the tourney
you can't ****ing roll or run with the n64 controller xd, i think i got used to the sensitivity of the GC controller stick (for playing melee).
i was one of the best in kaillera here in chile, and got ***** by a normal guy
i don't know how people can play so smoothly with n64 controllers xd, the deadzone is sooo x_X....

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Roche, you fail xDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Thats is true, with the 64 controller, i cant even dash Dx

Roche PD: Le podis decir al maricon del yasfer que me desbanee xD?

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol keyboard on console, I can hear the johns about deadzone now. :laugh:
Also, even though I mainly play on keyboard. I can play on console pretty proficiently Just all of my controllers are way past old so its frustrating getting used to a loose beat up stick.

SMASHERX74ISBACK

Smash Rookie
lozolzloolzol omfg i remember when I sucked with controller cuz i always use keyboard online. I use both, it doesn't matter to me. But i'm 100x better offline with controller on Real n64 (or VC) then online. Although i never really tried my best online like how I do offline.

"Online smash64 is a warm up"

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
I started a project of turning an n64 controller wireless, but I havent finished because the transceivers switch too slow so I need to buy 2 tx/rx pairs instead... I guess a kb would be easier since you don't need rumble support, but it still needs to respond when the console turns on

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm a kb player and did fine at Apex outside of some technical errors that wouldn't have been there if I could warm up instead of running the bracket lol.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
I started a project of turning an n64 controller wireless, but I havent finished because the transceivers switch too slow so I need to buy 2 tx/rx pairs instead... I guess a kb would be easier since you don't need rumble support, but it still needs to respond when the console turns on
theres a guy on benheck.com building a nintendo 64 controller on a chip.
also im trying (well i bought the tx.rx modules a while back and never got anywhere) the nintendo 64 wireless controller aswell, but you need a microchip to interface both modules.
did you get any luck out of yours?

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
well actually I needed to run my chip at 20mhz, but didn't have a crystal so i couldn't fit enough operations in and basically it just acted crazy when I turned on the console lol... but after my wedding I will get back to it probably... not a lot of room in the n64 controller though

Top Bottom