• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do I need to improve on the most?

Xposure

Smash Cadet
So I got a couple recent videos of me playing against a friend. (He really doesn't care about the game)

Anyways, I realize that each video it's me playing as a different character. I just have a habit of switching every match.

THe point of this thread is, I'm asking the Fox community what I should improve on. I want to be a complete review of my play style and and ATs and such.

To be honest, I'd say I play pretty well. Considering I'm the only one in my town who takes Melee seriously. :(

Here are the vids: (I'm the Matt tag)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4w1LrsHXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6ew001QU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEt0170IiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0BHDsoqFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sow-iPiTFrw

My only comments are. My match as Fox was definitely my best out of the five in my opinion. Anyways, I hope to hear back from at least a couple people.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
youre not gonna get a complete review of your playstyle. you don't even have your basics down. go drill tech skill until your fingers bleed and try again.

(also you're slow and predictable, dont know most of your options, and don't know what does and doesn't work.)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You have to start practicing your fundamentals. Things you should be able to do consistently to get the most out of a critique:

-Short-hopping
-Lcancelling
-SHFFLing (with all aerials)

There's not much to say about strategy, because you can't really drillshine etc. Grind until you have the basics down, like Foxlisk said.

Whereabouts in Canada do you live?

Xposure

Smash Cadet
I kinda figured I would get answers like this.

I'm from Nova Scotia.

Guess I'll head back to playing CPUs. >_>

Xposure

Smash Cadet
I was mainly curious to see where I stood compared to other players. I just wanted to know what I should improve on specifically. But it seems I have quite a bit to work on.

edit:

Also, I don't have anyone to play with who is on the competitive side of Melee. I check the Regional Forum a couple months ago, and today as well. And there doesn't seem to be anyone close enough for me to meet up with.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Heh, even so you should be able to tell that your basic tech skill isn't good enough that we can really comment on any style of play you have. If you're on Smashboards I assume you watch videos of tournament players xD

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Well, good thing tech skill can actually be practiced against the computer. Learn to move around more, get L-canceling, short hopping and fast falling right, after that space well, run a bit and wavedash back, bait out, grab more, use back-air.

Also, there were soooo many opportunities in your match as Fox to up-smash, your opponent was really ****ty with just shielding moves. Learn to see them and exploit openings.

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Yea I watch a lot of videos. I knew I obviously wasn't as good as most. I just wanted to know where I stand. And I guess I'm at the shorter end of the line.

As for my opponent. That's pretty much all I have to play against, if I ever get a chance to play anyone. No one gives a sh-- in this town. :\

As for mains, I'm thinking about moving to Falco instead. As I don't have very quick fingers and I can short hop more consistently with him.

Anyways, guess I got my answers. :glare: lol

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
get your waveshines down, fastfall EVERYTHING. Thunders combo is really good, shine out of shield, and Usmash OoS, nair shine, shorthop out of shield > Bair / > Nair > etc

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Falco is easier until you get to pillaring and doing Shine to Dairs, that's pretty hard too.
It's much easier if you have slow fingers with Falco than with Fox ¬.¬
Falco's jump was always too slow for me to wavedash consistently with though.

Xposure

Smash Cadet
It's much easier if you have slow fingers with Falco than with Fox ¬.¬
Falco's jump was always too slow for me to wavedash consistently with though.
Yea I'm having that problem to. >_> Fox is the only character I can consistently wavedash with. Well.. Marth to...

But I seem to handle Falco a lot better. I'm pretty sure I'm SHFFL'ing correctly. I can Dair>Shine pretty consistently to. I think. o.O

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
haha i definitely have screwed up by short hopping when i intended to fullhop before O.o

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
People have largely covered the technical side of things. Just get your fingers faster and play more.

For the mental side of things, unless you're an absolute genius, you're going to have to do it the hard way and play many many matches and lose many many matches against people that are better than you. That's kind of hard without an easy source of players (oh how nice is socal) but the above post looks promising :) good luck

Top Bottom