• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What could be better? C-sticking arials or arials with A button?

Bartolon

Smash Lord
I am doing most of the time the arials with the "A button".
What are the + points from the c-stick arials exactly?
Is it better for ness his arial game or not?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Use whatever is easier for you. I personally use the A button, but the C-stick may be easier overall.

Meian

Smash Cadet
Depends on how quickly I jumped. If I am using an aerial immediately after jumping I use A button since I use X to jump (close to each other etc) unless I am backwards fairing (c-stick).

Other than that, I always c-stick since it seems to come out a hair faster (one movement vs two)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I use the A button. Going from X to C with my right thumb just doesnt feel natural to me, but it's your choice I guess. The C-stick my provide more mobility since you will not have to use the control stick to choose your aerial and you can easily use it to move yourself.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I think im weird in this respect. Im imagining that most people who use the c stick often do so as a habit that carried over from melee. I always used the z button in melee, since it let me attack in the air and shield when i hit the ground, and of course i was grab happy in melee too.

Since moving on to brawl I havent been able to use the z button the same way since it makes one dodge in the air, so i started using the c stick instead. Ive gotten a lot faster with it than i would be if i was using the a button, I think.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I use the A button all the time, except when i want to move a different direction from the aerial, such as a fastfalled uair or retreated fair.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Most of the time I use the C-stick. The advantage of using the C-stick is that you can perform any aerial without losing any mobility (for example: retreating fairs, approaching with dair). The only times I use the A button is when I nair or when I want to DAS

Levitas

the moon
The cstick makes very specific things easier (like moving a full distance w/ nair, retreating fairs, etc)

In melee, I still use Z a lot, but cstick is pretty important there, too.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The cstick makes very specific things easier (like moving a full distance w/ nair, retreating fairs, etc)

In melee, I still use Z a lot, but cstick is pretty important there, too.
I thougt I was the only person who used Z... I even used z to djc.

upwndbykaiibi

Smash Apprentice
A Secret fortress where bob da builder shall never
I personally use the C-stick, when I figured out that using the C-stick on the gamecube controller is slightly faster then using the control stick+A button move for smash attacks. This is because, when you use the control stick+A button tactic it charges up the smash attack making the attack speed a little slow. With the C-stick tactic it doesn't charge up the attack and come out a bit faster. Try this out, and you'll see the results.^^

Levitas

the moon
I thougt I was the only person who used Z... I even used z to djc.
Mostly, I use z for Nair out of shield, but sometimes for DJC fairs and whatnot, too.

It's probably because I use marth and he's such a cheap character, you know, lol.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
C stick is only good for retreated fairs and not changing your momentum really.
The cstick isn't crucial for nesses game, set it to whatever you want.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Assuming we're talking about smash attacks, with the A button plus left or right direction, Ness moves a bit further. Here are a few and if it's safe to say, useful things to use the C-stick for.

Mr. Game & Watch

Pump:
Because f-smash in general moves Ness a bit further towards his opponent, Ness would once again get hit by Mr. Game & Watch's neutral A. If you use the C-stick, Ness does not move slightly. In fact, he doesn't move towards the Pump at all. His f-smash would land a perfect tipper on Mr. Game & Watch. Can this really work? Well, landing an f-smash three times in a four stock match against Mr. Game & Watch says yes.

Manhole:
It's the same method as before and can work. This is in no way to bash Mr. Game & Watch or the players who main him but just useful advice of how useful the C-stick can be.

Pivot Smashing
Either way works. I prefer pivot smashing with the A button instead of the C-stick because you move a bit from your opponent but still have that slight movement to land your f-smash close enough and possibly tipper. The C-stick makes this method a bit easier, though. Does this actually work in a match? On rare occassions, yes. I've done it on three different opponents. One on BadGuy's Bowser, the other on Durango's DK and the last one on _clinton's Yoshi. </braggingrights>

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Honestly, do w/e works for you. Try out holding the controller in different ways too. I can do the claw on the snes controller really easily but I phail on the gc controller (it's too hard for me to switch positions).

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I think I only use the A button for aerials when I do an immediate aerial off the ground, it's alot quicker to move from X to A than X to the c-stick . Otherwise I'm usually c-stickin' my aerials.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I use C-stick if I'm doing something quick (such as running, short hop bair into somebody) and sometimes I'll use the c-stick to spike if it's not to short notice. I don't think I ever use C-stick up or forward, though. otherwise I just use A.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
when I figured out that using the C-stick on the gamecube controller is slightly faster then using the control stick+A button move for smash attacks.
I remember reading somewhere that you can do it faster with the A button, because the C-stick (at least in melee) charged exactly 1 frame (and you didn't need to with the A button). I don't know where that was from, though.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I use C-stick so much.

I use it for *all* my smashes. Even my charged smashes. I flick C and hold Z to keep the charge. It makes up for my inability to consistently smash otherwise. (I still have trouble rolling. Go me.)

It feels so good to use it that way. The toughest thing that it's really cool I do pretty well now is short hopped uairs. I do them with tap jump and can still control my drift decently.

The time I don't use it is for dairs of any sort. It's just easier to do it with the ol'-fashioned Y-to-A slide... although for Ness I don't buffer the dair, seems to be better if you input it actually in the air at a certain point.

But, I don't get the question, really. Using C-stick allows you to do cool stuff, and takes practice. Using A is elementary and always there. So learn to C-stick.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I say A button for overall, but I use c-stick when i absolutely need to be moving in one direction and would like to attack in a different direction, most commonly for bair.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
A button because C-Sticking is too easy. But since I use the Wiichucks, I have been throwing in Shake Smashes lately, since it requires dexterity and stamina alike, but it's worth it. So now people would have to deal with anti-tailing Back Airs among other things from me, particularly once I get it down properly. And even if I don't, I still have maneuvers without instant-smashing in mind. :p

Top Bottom