• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controls do you use and why?

Xcallion

Smash Ace
What kind of controller and any changes you made from default.

I use the GC controller: because it's teh best

With tap jump off: so i can control my arrows without jumping around like an idiot

X is set to grab: because i dont like the Z button for some reason

L is set to attack: so i can Dacus more easily when i'm not playing as pit

Rumble is Off: no matter what console i always turn rumble off to avoid distracting me during gameplay

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I use to use the GCC until it went stupid

I use the CCP now :D

I switched the R to grab and ZR=ZL are block.

Made the L atack to dacus.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
always tap jump off

for gc i have Y as special, L as attack. this is so i can do buffering easier and dacus with not pit.

for when i use Classic Pro

Right Z shield, L attack, Left Z jump, R grab, x and y special, a jump, b attack, down pose shield, side pose grab, top pose shield

these are so it is in xbox controller standard gaming format which im used to.

as for the poses, it's cause sometimes my finger slips and hits them and also for getting out of grabs

Xcallion

Smash Ace
Make's controlling arrows much easier. I would keep it on for bowser, dk and marth though.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Classic Controller regular. I'm planning to switch to GCN as soon as I can pick up one of those awesome white ones though.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Gamecube Nintendo. They chose a ****ed up the acronym for some reason. Main reason I'm planning to switch is wireless interference. So far it hasn't happened during a tournament match, but it's only a matter of time...

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Wiimote ._.

But yea tap jump off is pretty much essential for arrow looping right? Since the wiimote's control options are so constrained I have to play with it on, which means no looping.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Lol for pit i have a separate tag so my controls dont interfere with each other. I use simply a Gamecub cntlr with tap jump off for pit. L i use to shield. R i keep normal for DACG. Other than that i use x to jump and ignore y cuz pivots are easy enough with the b button. And wingdash is easy with the b button as well.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
For Pit and all my characters aside from Ike, I use this configuration:

tap jump off, cause I suck with it on;
Y as grab, cause the Z button sucks and I somehow got the feeling that it sucked even more for grabbing which is stupid;
Z as attack for DACUS characters;
L as a secondary jump, when I need an UpB OOS, or a perfectly spaced retreating fair, etc

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I use vanilla controls. Tap jump on.

*shrugs*... It might help one day to adjust controls but why mess with what's not broken? I can loop perfectly fine with tap jump on, I don't mind if I jump with the arrows because it lets be move around more and stay less predictable if I continue attacking anyways.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I use vanilla controls. Tap jump on.

*shrugs*... It might help one day to adjust controls but why mess with what's not broken? I can loop perfectly fine with tap jump on, I don't mind if I jump with the arrows because it lets be move around more and stay less predictable if I continue attacking anyways.
Me too, there was no controller configuration back in old Melee days 01 when I got it, so I stick to what I'm used to, not saying that there is anything better or worse.

fUddO

Smash Ace
So now I'm using a Gamecube controller with tap-jump off, and L set to jump. I'm definately missing my CC, but I think in the long run it's probably better to switch.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i switched FROM a gc to a classic pro. it's great! however the gc does have several benefits that make switch back and forth between controllers. it's hard to tell which one i want to use more so i can use both just fine however i dig the feel of the CPro more for now

Abel1994

Smash Lord
i switched FROM a gc to a classic pro. it's great! however the gc does have several benefits that make switch back and forth between controllers. it's hard to tell which one i want to use more so i can use both just fine however i dig the feel of the CPro more for now
finally another dude!

use ccpro cuz it light weight+ extra button + awsome cuz u can play othwer games on it :p

fUddO

Smash Ace
Honestly, wireless issues suck so much. Also, it's annoying if you're trying to get in as many friendlies as possible, since you have to resync at every station.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Honestly, wireless issues suck so much. Also, it's annoying if you're trying to get in as many friendlies as possible, since you have to resync at every station.
I didn't realize you were wii chuck! lol, but I stick w/ GC cuz I been using that thing since Melee 01' baby! I wish I could have found my controller that I had since I played that game in 01, woulda been tight, but it's all good though :reverse:

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Ha, I have that same sticker Rogue. Are you gonna be active again or what btw
Ya a while back he said he was coming back, but i have yet to hear or see it as such :(
I play in my free time which isn't much time :/ .
I wanna come back but I need to get my life straight. Hopefully soon when classes are done you might hear my name on the webstream.

fUddO

Smash Ace
I didn't realize you were wii chuck! lol, but I stick w/ GC cuz I been using that thing since Melee 01' baby! I wish I could have found my controller that I had since I played that game in 01, woulda been tight, but it's all good though :reverse:
Classic Controller. I have no idea how wiichuck works, lol. There's a guy in our scene who uses a wiimote held sideways. Considering that and the fact that he plays half the cast, he's actually pretty legit.

Top Bottom