• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller Setup are YOU using?

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
I honestly like all of them. but my best is gamecube.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Tried the Wiichuck combo, Jumping and Shielding became intensely awkward. I went back to GC Controller but if I get a classic controller i may try that as well.

GarrettB

Smash Rookie
I can only play with the gamecube one. The other ones are SO awkward.
I agree I honestly really tried to use the new controller setups but I just couldn't get used tp ot at all. I went back to the GC and haven't looked back!

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Tried the Wiichuck combo, Jumping and Shielding became intensely awkward. I went back to GC Controller but if I get a classic controller i may try that as well.
Same with me, I got the jump and shield buttons mixed up and lost the gamestop tourney because of it. I'm sticking with the gamecube controller.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Wiimote + Nunchuk. Took a couple of days to adjust, but I'm now just as good with it as I ever was with the 'Cube controller. Better, perhaps, and I certainly like it more. Only one minor customization too - making the down control pad grab. Well, and the side and up control pad taunts, but that hardly matters. And of course tap jump off, but imagine most people are doing that.

Zevox

Sir Nels the Slayer

Smash Cadet
I use a modified Wiimote + Nunchuck control scheme. I have up on the control stick to jump and shake smash both turned off. Also, the D-Pad has my taunts instead of 1 and 2. Using C for jump and Z for shielding is easy for me. However, I simply cannot grab with A + B. So, I shieldgrab instead.

Yuichi

Smash Cadet
I always use the Classic now; at first I thought it sucked and immediately went back to the GameCube controller, but then I decided to give it another shot, and it just grew on me. Now I love the Classic controller just as much as I do the GameCube controller.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
Before SSBB even came out I determined that I would use the Wiimote + nunchuk in order to make the game feel like a new product instead of just Super Smash 2.5. At first the whole scheme was confusing, but after playing with it for a few days in 4 man brawls with my friends, it has grown to be just as comfortable as playing melee with the GC controller.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I have my own setup with the Nunchuck that has worked really well for me

Switched the d-pad to Jump on Down, Left and Right, which allows me to jump without moving my finger too much or having to be dead on. I also found the d-pad was easier to short hop with then the GC button simply due to a different level of senstive.

I switched the C-button to Grab rather then jump, since I don't use the quick grab much.

As far as getting used to it, it was really just a matter of relearning my reactions as far as attacks went. But the plus side was I didn't have to move my finger to move between my special and my attack button, seemed quite effective to me.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Nunckuck is now imprinted in my Brain. I can play with out looking at the Wiimote :laugh: but then thats for when i use Wolf and Ike :laugh:

Marth he's a different story :laugh:

Subtle

Smash Cadet
I've jumped around a lot. All of this info is biased around me using Lucas unless otherwise noted

I tried to play through SSE with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, but after having difficulty in the first battle, I decided that I would use the Gamecube controller just to power through single player, as I wanted to beat it quickly. My first few wifi matches used this controller as well.

A day or so afterwards I switched to the Wiimote and Nunchuk combo. I experimented with shake to smash a great deal, thinking that in theory it would be able to replace the use of a C-stick. I bound Z to shield, C to grab, and Down on the D-pad to jump. I was moderately successful with this scheme, and noticed that it really helped me to use neutral moves more often, jabbing and my N-air.

Shake to smash was really... not good though. I wanted something a little quicker to preform some precise air moves so I bound the side and up buttons on the wiimote d-pad to smash, allowing me to use my up air and forward air better, and get quick smashes off on the ground ( People really like running into a bat attack if your not facing them). I tested the " Wiichuk 2.0" scheme with and without shake to smash, and eventually decided to drop shake to smash as often it would read my input wrong and I would get punished or miss a kill for that reason. Over time, however, I realized that using this control scheme made me loose one of my best offensive tools, which was jousting with a down air.

To recap what jousting is for people who are not familiar, its using a move in a way that it attacks the opponent, but you continuously move while using it, so its much harder to punish. While in Melee this was always down with air moves, a good example now would be Wolf's forward smash. Lucas's has multiple hit boxes that catch the opponent, so you can either tag them with it and do more damage, or hit with only one box and land safely, so it really gives you many options. If you just do a down air with control stick input, you always gain downward momentum, but via using the c-stick, you can do one while moving up, or horizontally.

So with the lack of being able to joust using my down air, and loosing the ability to play my melee main, Jigglypuff, whom I need a c-stick for, I decided to switch back to a traditional control scheme. I considered going back to a gamecube controller, but I decided that I didn't want to over-ride the muscle memory I built up for melee ( Using tap to jump as opposed to using another button). So on Thursday I went out and purchased a classic controller.

With the classic controller, I've noticed that in general it responds faster than the wiimote combo. I also find the extra shoulder button and the placement of them to be a large boon. I was initially disappointed that I couldn't use the d-pad to move, but I quickly got over that. All the buttons feel good, though the Z buttons can be funky, having a 'click' like a mouse press rather than the feel you get from most buttons. I've experimented with setting the right analog stick to tilts and B moves.

I am a large fan of the tilt stick, and think that if it's inputs were more precise that it would greatly help my game, but, due to the fact that it accidentally causes jumping and neutrals, I'm slightly disenchanted with it. While getting off more reliable and quick up-tilts and forward tilts is nice, one of my largest gripes is that I cannot do a forward tilt in a direction I am not facing, unlike with the C-stick.

The B-stick was interesting, but ultimately only useful for Lucas' wavebounce. While easy to pull off and immediately useful with defensive applications, the timing for actually firing a pk Fire at an angle that will hit a grounded opponent is very difficult to get, and I loose one of my strongest tools, which is air moves without transferring momentum.

I really with that we had a MMORPG level of customization with controller set ups... I would love a controller that had 2 right analog sticks, and better shoulder buttons. Ultimately though, I think that the classic controller is the way to go.

TriviaGem

Smash Rookie
I haven't actually played the game yet, but I'll probably use the Gamecube controller. The controls on the others seem a bit odd and awkward. :/

Dynesaur

Smash Rookie
I may or may not have an advantage by having never played Melee, and never owning a GameCube. When I camped out for my Wii, I bought a GameCube controller to finally buy and play all those classic GC games I never had a chance to play. Recently, when SSBB came out I gave it a go using the GC controller.. and was decent with it. Then, the next day my girlfriend came over and we played together; I let her use the GC controller finding it was easier to learn on and used the Classic Controller myself. I simply fell in love with it, even though the button layout is similar to that of the GC controller, I just find it so much easier to navigate with, especially using the C-Stick to smash. We'll see how things pan out though, but I recommend trying the classic controller if anyone owns it!

Ivoryshadows

Smash Cadet
I prefer the Gamecube controller but I can also use the Wii Remote+ Numchuck.

I absolutley hate the Wii remote by itself.

svr

Smash Rookie
Gamecube controller all the way. Wii remote is just bad. Even sakurai said the game is optimized for gamecube controller. Gametrailers.com has interviewed him, it was on their GTTV.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Wii Remote + Nunchuck.

Was incredibly hard to gt used to at first, but I was determined to learn to play this way. My mele main was Mario, so retraining myself for him was real hrd. But then I got to play Sonic, whom I had intended to be my main, and I found it much easier to get used to controlling him with the Wiichuck.

The beauty of it is its customizability. My control scheme is very similar to DraginHikari's:

"Switched the d-pad to Jump on Down, Left and Right, which allows me to jump without moving my finger too much or having to be dead on. I also found the d-pad was easier to short hop with then the GC button simply due to a different level of senstive.

I switched the C-button to Grab rather then jump, since I don't use the quick grab much."

The only differencein my scheme is that I use the side D-Pad buttons for taunts as well.

Also, I use shake smash. At first didn't always regiter my movements right, but now I'm getting better at it.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube, tap jump off, X turned to grab (I use Y to jump). I experimented with the Auto-RAR setup (Z for attack, c-stick to specials, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I can manually RAR well enough.

RazorX

Smash Rookie
i prefer the gamecube controller,mostly because im used to it.but i could get used to the wiimote sideways

Rash

Smash Ace
Gamecube controller and Wiimote/Nunchuk. I only have two Gamecube controllers; when I play Brawl with my two roommates, I let them use those controllers, and I take the Wiimote/Nunchuk. Otherwise, I still prefer the GC pad, but the Wiimote/Nunchuk is a viable control setup if you map the buttons right.

Top Bottom