• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller do you use?

What controller do you use?

• Wiimote

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Wiimote+Nunchuck

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Gamecube Controller

Votes: 357 72.4%
  • Classic Controller

Votes: 65 13.2%

• Total voters

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I used the Wiimote/Nunchuck combination when I first played the game, and I really like using it. However, I've been using the GC controller for about a week now and that one is growing back onto me. I suppose I'm pretty good with both. I don't own a CC and the Wiimote is just difficult to use.

I put down Wiimote + Nunchuck in the poll.

xjamz650

Smash Rookie
GC controller are the most comfortable controller ever...any suggestions "the next best controller"? or is GC the popular choice? or cuz the GC is what people are use to because of melee

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
i've been using my crappy old wavebird. im not saying wavebirds are bad, but mine is. i've tried using my wiimote+chuk and it's just terrible for me. i wanna switch to CC so the R and L buttons are responsive.

uber_micro16

Smash Rookie
I used CC with a modified button layout.

A/X = Jump
B = Standard Attack
Y = Special Attack
I'm guessing you've played a lot of SSB 64. I was wondering if I should switch my layout to mirror the N64 Controller (played it for 8 years!), but I like the new layout better, I just switched the functionality of a and b on my CC, seemed faster to sh and attack.

BTW CC FTW!

xler

Smash Rookie
Well, I was a huge melee player so I'm used to the Gamecube Controller. But... the Gamestop tournament actually requires that you use the wiimote/nunchuck configuration. So... I'm stuck using that for another week+. It's not so bad compared to the Gamecube Controller, but it is incredibly inconvenient to use since it is wireless. I hate wireless. When my Gamestop tournament is over I definitely want to give the Classic Controller a try. Anyways, I use the Wiimote/nunchuck.

requiem_of_the_night

Smash Rookie
I myself use the Game Cube controller.

The Wii remote disappointed me in this one. I didn't really like how motion sensitivity didn't come into play, at least not that I saw. All it is is like playing Melee with a nunchuck instead of a controller, and I didn't really dig it.

When I saw that the controller layout for the GCN Controller was pretty much exactly the same as it was in Melee, I just decided to use that. That way, I was already familiar with the controls and could start kickin' butt from the get go. :D

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Dont bother with classic imo. It's took awkward if you have GC imprinted in your muscle memory.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Gamecube controller. Muscle memory is too inclined to it.

I haven't tried classic so I don't know about that.

I'm having a bajillion problems adjusting to Wiimote + Nunchuk. I'm having trouble deciding what button to press to jump and I keep instinctively moving my thumb to press b.

Wiimote is tedious but feels kind of natural. I like it a bit.

xler

Smash Rookie
Dont bother with classic imo. It's took awkward if you have GC imprinted in your muscle memory.
All the controllers are awkward at first. It only takes a day, max, to get used to a new controller.

twolf68

Smash Rookie
I had to make the switch to the Classic Control.
I dunno what it is..
takes about a day to get used to, but kicks *** once you got it!!
Cool, I am going to try to get a classic controller and Wii Points card bundle next time I am at a store. I play a lot of VC games so the classic is a good choice for me, I think

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
VC are Virtual Console Games. They are games you can download for your Wii that are from previous Nintendo Consoles, and even some Sega ones.

Say you wanted to play Mario 64? Go download it... and play it on your Wii.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Gamecube-Familiar and I like it

Wii+Nunchuck=too hard for me to use
Wiimote=I need an analog stick
Classic Controller- Dont own one, once I get one will try it

SoumaRiku

Smash Rookie
I use the classic controller because I never owned a Gamecube and I bought a classic controller to play Virtual console games. I have compared it with a Gamecube controller and I like the overall feel better of the classic controller, especially because the L and R buttons feel more responsive.

Flake

Smash Cadet
i always use gc controller
i tried the wiimote alone yesterday...i kept on pressing 2 to jump

Evil Yoshi 85

Smash Cadet
I use the GCN controller most of the time, but the Wiimote really has grown on me. I can't get used to the CC, as I press the buttons as if it's in a GCN controller layout. And I tried Wiimote+Nunchuck, and words couldn't describe how awful I was.

feyth

Smash Rookie
Seems like everyone is...
I'm using the GC controller, just because I got so used to it.
Anything else feels a little unnatural to me!

Retrorocket

Smash Rookie
The gamecube controller, because I'm already used to it. I've tried the other ones, but they feel too weird.

Drazon

Smash Cadet
For the 58 people out there...
Should I go out and buy a classic controller?
I'm having my doubts.

Yangtze

Smash Rookie
the chukmote works well too. u put the c stick smashes on the d pad and it works all the time unlike the gamecube. to shorthop w/ gamecube u have to remove ur thumb from the a button to touch the x/y whereas in the chukmote the c button is on ur other hand. for grab a+b works well too. i find it fine

orintemple

Smash Lord
I use Mote/Chuck at home cause I want to learn a backup controller but for anything serious I would never use anything but GC.

Getting used to a new controller isn't that hard, you just need to get past the first phase.

Maldazzar

Smash Cadet
GC Controller for me, although I can play on Wiimote + Nunchuck. I can't play worth a darn on just the wiimote however and haven't tried using the classic controller yet.

Jon64

Smash Cadet
Ive tried all but the classic, and I must say, the wiimote+nunchuck is absolutely awful. At least for me, it makes the game completely unplayable. The wiimote alone is a little bit better (if only because I have an easier time doing air attacks), though still awful. I think the classic contoller may be as good (possibly even better) then the GC controller, and I'm considering getting one, but for now its GC controllers all the way.

Krusiv

Smash Rookie
I use the gamecube controller. Anything else just feels wierd. Plus, I look like an idiot when I use the wiimote+nunchuck. For some reason I try moving them to movie and attack, which clearly doesn't work.

*facepalm*

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
I can beat my sibling with the wiimote + nunchuck. It's becoming easier to use since I have no choice, since my friend broke my Gamecube controller...again. The wiimote+nunchuck is good, but I hate blocking with my left hand that much so I choose the Gamecube's. The wiimote by itself is so useless now that I do the uptilt unnessessarily with anyone. It is easy to jump, short hop, but almost impossible for me to uptilt with it.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
I use the GC controller, but I'll be buying a new controller sooner or later - either a classic controller or a gamecube controller.

Also, they shou;ld have just made the classic controller almost similar to the GC controller, but the classic controller colour...

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Mmmmm, Chuckmote....

I love it, 4 buttons operated by 4 fingers = faster actions

C-Stick/A and Jump on separate fingers = easier aerials

2 foot wire between hands = uber comfy

Only problem is though... I'm scared to see what might happen at tournies in regards to controllers. I'd hate to see everyone forced to use wired controls when its not your best control scheme...

Top Bottom