• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What controller do you use to play smash?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I use a white WiiU Pro Controller. Sometimes I'll use the white Smash edition GameCube controller my friend got me for my birthday, but typically my friends use that when they come over.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I can't play these games on anything other than a gamecube controller. (N64 would work too...)

I mean, I can, but then I fall off the edge and die constantly.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I can't play these games on anything other than a gamecube controller. (N64 would work too...)

I mean, I can, but then I fall off the edge and die constantly.
Trust me, as someone that went pure GameCube controller up until a few years after Brawl's release, I believe you can easily adjust to a Classic or Pro Controller.

Not sure about the Wiimote or Wiimote/Nunchuk combo, though. I did try the latter once when a flubbed tourney at the launch for Smash 4 left us having to play Brawl and they didn't have a Wii that had the GameCube support slots, and it was pretty awful. Like I managed, but it was so awkward.

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I've been using a GameCube controller for a long time. My first smash game was Melee so I'm just used to it. I hear the Pro Controller is really good though.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Trust me, as someone that went pure GameCube controller up until a few years after Brawl's release, I believe you can easily adjust to a Classic or Pro Controller.

Not sure about the Wiimote or Wiimote/Nunchuk combo, though. I did try the latter once when a flubbed tourney at the launch for Smash 4 left us having to play Brawl and they didn't have a Wii that had the GameCube support slots, and it was pretty awful. Like I managed, but it was so awkward.
I think you're right, but since there's minor input lag from those and I have the GC controllers available I'm going to stick with them :)

Wiimote/nunchuk maybe with tons of practice but I have an active dislike for the wiimote so won't be doing that anytime soon.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Wii U Pro controller. I tried really hard to switch to the gamecube controller since it's a pain to have to resync the pro controller all the time at tourneys...used it for 2 months. But I'm just way better with the Pro. The smaller and less stiff joysticks plus much smaller shoulder buttons give me better reaction time. Not to mention the Pro is much more comfortable to me. Hands were hurting after hours with the gamecube controller.

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
I personally use the Gamepad. I would use Gamecube controller, but after my years of journey, traveling from Gamestop to Best Buy to Target, I have concluded that the Gamecube adapter is only a myth.

D

Deleted member

Classic controller because I don't have a Gamecube adapter.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I use the gamepad... I never really liked the clunkyness of the L and R button on the gamecube controller... If I could compare it to anything, it would be the NES zapper.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I use the gamepad... I never really liked the clunkyness of the L and R button on the gamecube controller... If I could compare it to anything, it would be the NES zapper.
I'm already used to that kind or Land R button.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Currently, I use the Wii U GamePad, and I really, really love it. I'm planning to get a Wii U GameCube adapter since a big offline tournament I plan on joining in 2016 doesn't allow the GamePad. Otherwise, I would stick wholeheartedly to the GamePad.

D

Deleted member 269706

You guys act like you can only use ONE controller and pledge allegiance to it. There's nothing wrong with using more than one you know!

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
I use the GameCube controller. The one with the smash logo. But I noticed that the joystick was a bit loose, so I switched the circuit board of one of my old GC controllers into it but kept all of the new GC's buttons so the joystick has the same quality as my old one.. So I guess I have a custome GC controller.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
My fave choice is the Wii U Pro Controller. It's my choice of controller for PC gaming as well. I gave up on the GameCube controller halfway through Brawl's lifespan (when I went with the Wii Remote + Nunchuk).

And if I don't feel like turning on the TV I use the Wii U GamePad.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
My GC controller broke a few weeks ago so I've had to switch back to my Pro, I kind of actually like it better. The C-Stick is a lot easier for me to reach and the shoulder buttons feel way more solid than the GC, at least the old one I had.

Off-topic, but does anyone else have a problem with their Pro randomly disconnecting?

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
Since it nearly impossible to find a Gamecube adapter, I been using the Gamepad since day one. It has server me well for a while now, and I find it nearly as on par as the Gamecube controller.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I initially started with the gamecube remote but since I knew I'd be heading to our cousins that year for Thanksgiving (thus making five players) I would let them use the gamecube remotes and me either wiimote/nunchuk or Gamepad.

So I started trying to get used to the Gamepad and over time now I'm way better on Gamepad than the gamecube remote. It feels weird in my hands now lol. I also enjoy having my own screen and being able to lounge over the couch while my cousins are all hunched up on the floor near the TV haha. The one change I made on Gamepad was the L/R shield to ZR buttons. Just feels better to me that way.

T

Trick or Treat

I would rather get used to another controller than spend money on the adapter and Gamecube controllers.

Especially considering I am just as good, if not better, with the Wiichuck combo, the Gamepad, and the Pro Controller.

NintenX

Smash Rookie
I use the Gamecube controller, and before I got my adapter, I used the Hori Battle Pad (It's a classic controller, but it looks and feels like a Gamecube controller). I haven't tried the Pro Controller (it's so freaking expensive), but I hear it's good and I'll probably buy it when I have money.

HYP

Smash Rookie
NNID
hypster0628
Switch FC
SW-1631-9283-6619
My parents are always using the TV, so it's the gamepad for me.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
Wiimote and Nunchucks, you get used to using a controller after years and years of playing with it

Falcon1991

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Falcon1991
I've been using the same black Gamecube controller that I have had since Christmas 2002 when I got Melee. :)

It has seen hundreds of hours in Melee, Brawl and now SSB4 thanks to my Gamecube adapter for the Wii U.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I find myself using the gamepad more than anything else. I've been using a Gamecube controller for as long as I can remember before Smash 4 came out and I even have an adapter, but..well, I just don't use it. I don't feel like I need to.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I use the GameCube controller and the Wii U Pro Controller. I use the GamePad for Off-TV Play.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I haven't bought a gamecube controller and honestly the Gamepad works just fine for me. I like to play on the little screen more than my tv honestly.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
This my first smash since melee so I lost all my muscle memory. Because of this, I wasn't biased going into smash 4. Like others have mentioned, I went with the black wii u pro controller because I couldn't find a GC adapter anywhere, so I just didn't bother.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
My computer and WiiU share a monitor, so I use the gamepad so I can play using the gamepad's screen while browsing the web.

Top Bottom