• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters will feel the most buffed with a controller?

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
I love the 3ds version of smash, but lets be real. It's not a gamecube controller and won't ever be just as precise (unless you are just that good). What characters are going handle best when we get our glorious HD wii u version?

ferioku

Smash Ace
Megaman, honestly, I don't think he shows his full potential in the 3DS version!

Other than that, I think Shiek, Shulk, DHD, will recieve major boosts once we get our hands on the Wii U version. I also think that everyone will receive a pretty decent buff as well.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Shulk, Ness, Luigi, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Palutena in my opinion. Basically characters that involve technical movement or have recoveries in which the circle pad does no justice for.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Definitely Greninja, he seems to require the most precise inputs from what I've experienced.

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
Killager.....
and gamecube controllers aren't the only controllers that are precise

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Anyone who relies on reliable timing of smash attacks, really. I've flubbed so many fsmashes with Shulk, Lucina and Marth it ain't even funny. Can't wait for that c stick.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jiggs. It's such a pain spacing her aerials without a C-stick..

HolyCarp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5043-3834-6566
Robin, since you have to use smash attacks in mid air to switch out to Levin Sword.

Was using him on day one, but I got too salty every time I landed a successful bair that didn't kill because Levin Sword was like "nah dude, I'mma chill here, u got dis". C-stick would be nice for getting them Levin airs without losing precision.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina and Sonic will be amazing with a proper controller.

Sonic is just flat out difficult to control with the Circle Pad because GOTTA GO FAST. I have SD'd so many times with him on 3DS. Nothing more to it that that though, besides the usual benefits of the C-Stick. He'll just be more reliably controlled.

Rosalina has a lot of nuances that will be helped a TON by the C-Stick. Her meteor/spike will be much easier to land (since it's difficult to perform D-Air on 3DS without fast falling), she can perform her Luma x Auto Cancelling shenanigans without shifting her momentum for the moves that aren't N-Air, U-Air juggling/KOing will be much easier since I can focus all of my attention on positioning the Control Stick left and right, which combined with her great aerial movement will be really handy. And her sliding U-Smash will be REALLY useful because of Luma incorporation. Really looking forward to using the GC controller with her.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Ness, Greninja and Robin I think.

That PK Thunder is heavily nerfed by the circle pad.

I also keep using Shadow Sneak instead of hydro pump... Sigh

I don't have a particular reason for Robin but I'm pretty sure it's true

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Man, I've realized how important Octagon Gates are on controllers. It makes doing things you want to do much more accurately. Perfect circles on controllers makes too many room for errors.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Mac and WFT definitely for those quick smashes and spacing

Robin for his air game

Sonic and Falcon will be the ultimate difference in night and day plus I expect the Wii U version to have a major giant differences in balance compared to the Wii U version

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I would like to add that my main, being the most skill intensive character far beyond the comprehension of you scrubs, benefits the most from the advent of the gamecube controller, naturally. This explains the momentary delay in my dominance over all of you. This is my totally unbiased belief.

Untouch

Smash Master
Ganondorf, he has a REALLY good DACUS that's arguably faster than his running speed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Any fast-paced character that requires precise input and sliding U-Smashes, most notably Greninja.

Last edited:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Idk but I've been killing with Dr Mario n Mii Swordfighter

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Peach yet. Gotta be able to Fair but float backwards haha. Sheik and Zelda would benefit as well, maybe WFT

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Peach. Float aerials are much harder to do on the 3DS controller.

Captain Falcon. C-stick, a controller that fits your hands, etc? A necessity.

Sheik. Trying to be technical is nigh impossible on the analog stick.

Kese

Smash Cadet
NNID
agentghost29
Peach: it's harder to float on the 3ds and being able to do float fairs and Bairs,not to mention accidentally jumping when attempting to ground float.

Khao

Smash Lord
I think the difference between controls is greatly exaggerated.

The game will be more comfortable to play, yes, but don't expect to find some sort of hidden potential in any specific character, or even in the whole roster as a whole. Maybe a couple techniques requiring a C-Stick will pop up, but other than that, there's no way there'll be a major difference. After all, it's all the exact same mechanics, only with a slightly different way to execute them. The C-Stick will likely be the only real "gamechanger," and that's just for the usual stuff that the stick has been used for in the past.

Last edited:

Hameed Ziabari

Smash Cadet
Peach. It's incredibly difficult to float precisely with the circle pad, also float nairs are much harder. Out of all the characters she seems to require the most tech skill.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
On a side note thanks to weird things like Toss Cancelling and Turnip Farming among others, a tightly controlled Peach will be interesting to see indeed

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I actually shudder in anticipation of controller-based Palutena. Being able to control her skills is going to be so much easier and more rewarding with that.

I'm also intrigued to see how Pit will progress. It'll make his airgame a lot more fulfilling, that's for sure.

Last edited:

SmashingObjection

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leviathan
3DS FC
1521-5713-8600
Zelda. Multiple times now, I either SD with dins fire, or I end up missing the teleport. It can get really frustrating (especially since upB is her most effective kill move). Also anyone who has needs retreating aerials will benefit from the gc controller.

Last edited:

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
Characters with precise recoveries I think will really benefit, like Zelda and Palutena(default). Also, any Luigi players who use the cyclone for recovery can mash more easily on a controller, haha ^^

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pikachu. I've messed up so many Quick Attacks that I would've normally nailed easily on a Classic Controller (my go-to for Brawl/Project M), because the Circle Pad is butt sometimes on my 3DS.

Top Bottom