• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character(s) do you struggle beating the most?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
As Yoshi, I have the most trouble with Little Mac and Bowser, I think both are bad matchups for him.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I have a lot of trouble against Little Mac. I see all these people saying "Oh it's easy to gimp him" but whenever I play one it takes all I've got to stay on the stage after one hit from him.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
A Sheik was totally whipping me just a few hours ago, I felt like putting my 3DS away in a box for a few hours.
You don't say??????? . . . :dazwa:

(omg totally googled Dazwa just now; what a fitting combination).

Also, hours ago I beat Little Mac with Mega Man. That is a tremendous feeling. Any win with the Rock is satisfying, but that... mmph.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Some more than others, a general list of my struggles between Lucina and Falco.
:4littlemac::4mario::4link::4alph::rosalina:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Really good Yoshis and campy Greninjas (intelligent ones at least) give my Falcon some trouble. I've not had any trouble with other characters. Greninja's water shuriken is a pain to deal with though.

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Skilled Mario players make me trouble, but Rosalinas and Sonics are the worst...

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
I have trouble beating really good Shulk players. Everything they have seems to outrange Lucina.

BloodyNights

Smash Rookie
NNID
ServantArcher
3DS FC
1246-8831-5354
As :4zelda: I struggle with just about anyone I'm fighting, but I think it could be partially Project M's habits messing me up, and the 3DS analog stick making me self destruct a lot while I'm trying to control up B lol

As :4luigi: I struggle with every sword character.

As :4charizard: I mostly struggle with projectile characters, some of the quicker characters.

As for actual match ups that I just struggle with across the board. :4sheik::4littlemac::4megaman::4greninja::4gaw::4zss:

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
:4bowser::4pacman::4zss:

Edit: Now I struggle most with a :4sonic: opponent. He just recovers so quick after being hit.
I also found out I struggle against: :4dedede::4darkpit: (side B of Dark Pit :'( )

On the other hand, I beat most projectile users with :4falco:. Long range attacks don't work on him, and his melee attacks are really good.

Using :4falco:against :4megaman: is almost unfair. :p

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
As :4zelda: I struggle with just about anyone I'm fighting, but I think it could be partially Project M's habits messing me up, and the 3DS analog stick making me self destruct a lot while I'm trying to control up B lol
I know right? You do air side B and it's like "wth? Why am I in freefall?"

Seriously I can't believe that hasn't been fixed yet.

BloodyNights

Smash Rookie
NNID
ServantArcher
3DS FC
1246-8831-5354
I know right? You do air side B and it's like "wth? Why am I in freefall?"

Seriously I can't believe that hasn't been fixed yet.
Yeah it's pretty silly, I've killed myself at least 3 times trying to do that off stage lol Personally I'd just like a bigger sweet spot on Fair, and Bair. Trying to land it on a moving opponent is torture, and even if I hit, I'll get punished if it's not sweet spotted. It feels like it really limits her kill options imo.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
:4littlemac:I do realize some noobs use him making his smashes a little predictable, but anyone who is professional with this character is the dumbest thing ever. His smashes have god-forsaken SUPERGUARD on them! May I also mention the K.O. uppercut charges quickly. His difficulty depends on the person using him really.

I also had a hard time with Dedede (:4dedede:) since he throws gordos now.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
As a toon link main, i have struggled against ganondorf for some odd reason.

ZSS, Greninja, Sheik, etc. i am fine with. They are not hard to beat with toon link.

But ganon....i have fought two different ganondorfs and both have beaten me 80% of the matches we played

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Yeah it's pretty silly, I've killed myself at least 3 times trying to do that off stage lol Personally I'd just like a bigger sweet spot on Fair, and Bair. Trying to land it on a moving opponent is torture, and even if I hit, I'll get punished if it's not sweet spotted. It feels like it really limits her kill options imo.
I had two different matches with the same person. Myself Mario against Villager. Villager was edge guarding while I came back to do a cape reflect. Both matches I pumped F.L.U.D.D. to my death below :(

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I have a really hard time with Pac-man for some reason >.<

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
As a Pac main, I struggle with projectile campers and good Little Mac's and C. Fals. Seriously, so many people can just beat Pac by playing Toon Link and spamming arrows at him.

As Shulk, usually the lag beats me when trying to choose the right Monado art.

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
Right now Mega man is giving me so much trouble. All that happens is I get hit by his spam unless I shield in which case I get grabbed, and if I try to approach I get dash attacked or d tilted. Anyone got advice?

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
As :4falcon: I find :4yoshi: pretty tough, not impossible, but Yoshi in general is very quick and has so many safe moves that are hard to punish

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
:4duckhunt: is the absolute worst for :4miibrawl:. Stupid good camping game, and then even when I get close he has fast disjointed Smash Attacks with low endlag and nearly invisible startup animations and good kill power, and a rapid jab, and stupid range on his FAir. His Smash Attacks feel practically unpunishable even if he whiffs them just because the range is so great that I can't get in before he can act again. Oh, and his dash is stupidly fast as well, so if he doesn't want to be in close combat he can just run away and camp somewhere else, and even a minimum-size Mii Brawler has their work cut out to keep up. What made the developers think that giving a character with a veritable wall of low-endlag, highly-damaging projectiles a high dash speed was a good idea?

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I'd say the :4yoshi: player I faced was by far the best player I've ever faced on Smash 4, period. It was a very close battle, but then he spiked me during his recovery with his Fair. All the rage. ALL of it. When the hell did Yoshi become so high tier anyway? His damage and speed is insane, and even his recovery's decency suprised me.

I've also seen some good :4marth:'s and :4zss:'s as well. But SDs are still my worst enemy. Too easy to do with input lag and only 2 stocks per match.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Why do soo many people HATE Mac?
Hate's a pretty strong word. I just think he's a bit overused and most players who use him aren't really effective with him.

They talk about scrubby spammy nooby and unskilled Mac players who all lack strategy or even the merest forethought LOL but then they say "I always best them, or they are no trouble after I x his y then I z... then I win"
There is a reason why we say that.

More to the topic, the character I have the most trouble with is ZSS. She's so fast.

Zelda has a ton of really good kill options. For example.

Din's Fire sweetspotted can klll at little over 100%. The Up B linked above can kill at 80% if both sides are equally damaged (rage mechanic) and 100% if the Zelda is significantly outclassing her opponent (no rage mechanic). You've also got your fair and bair. Only problem is that a lot of these require high precision, so you really have to know them all and then look for an opportunity to use them.

Last edited:

Ghork

Smash Rookie
:4shulk: and :rosalina:
Didn't see anyone else mentioning them either.
Lately not so much against :4shulk: as when I started playing online (I have about 72% win rate, and don't quit against good players so I'd say I'm pretty good) but that may not be because of improvement but because I haven't faced of any good :4shulk: player in a while. He's just so strong, has pretty sick range and many attacks that sort of hit twice (I have a tendency of dodging instead of fully shielding). Then there's his incredible counter attack. It has ko'd me at 50% even when I've expected it and tried to wait it out.

:rosalina: is just really painful with some characters, she can stay at a distance and take you out. Even when you get close trying to get to her she's still strong without Luma and have quite the range on her air attacks.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
Definitely :4littlemac: and :4bowser:. I'm not super good at the game in general but really struggle against good people playing these two.
Also sometimes :rosalina:,

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I mostly have trouble with good Sheiks and Rosalinas, but I often find that Rosalina is just a pain to fight. I wish I understood her more so I didn't look so horrible facing her. I only ever seem to beat them with Ganondorf.

BloodyNights

Smash Rookie
NNID
ServantArcher
3DS FC
1246-8831-5354
Zelda has a ton of really good kill options.

Din's Fire sweetspotted can klll at little over 100%. The Up B linked above can kill at 80% if both sides are equally damaged (rage mechanic) and 100% if the Zelda is significantly outclassing her opponent (no rage mechanic). You've also got your fair and bair. Only problem is that a lot of these require high precision, so you really have to know them all and then look for an opportunity to use them.
You can say a ton, but I wouldn't include good with it. lol Din's Fire is near impossible to use effectively against a lot of the cast, especially the faster characters, you might be able to land one during an edge guard though. Up B is how I land most kills, but I still think it's fairly hard on a smart opponent. Fair, and bair I stated, the sweet spot is so tiny, and if you miss the sweet spot it's a free punish on hit at pretty much any percentage. I've yet to find a consistency to her fair's and bair's to be honest. It feels like it activates at random sometimes. I'll work on that in the future. One of her best kill options is dair, when they are off the stage imo, just gotta land that hit.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Fair, and bair I stated, the sweet spot is so tiny, and if you miss the sweet spot it's a free punish on hit at pretty much any percentage.
It also stales those moves, making it harder to kill with the next time.

The sweetspot definitely seems to have gotten a lot worse than Brawl, I could land them quite consistently there but now I can only land them during Smash Run against enemies who are basically just giant hitboxes.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
That damn dog (Duck Hunt).

He is the only projectile camper i cant understand because his projectiles simply dont go away. Everyone else you can counter projectiles with a timed punch, or theyre small enough to dodge, but not Duck Hunt's. His can of beans seem to take random amounts of attacks to explode and it moves so weirdly you cant just avoid it. And the AoE on his clay pigeon is....stupidly huge.

Generally i beat them through they dont know how to use the hero once i get in range. If they do then im boned since he doesnt even NEED the projectiles, but has them anyway.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898

He is the only projectile camper i cant understand because his projectiles simply dont go away. Everyone else you can counter projectiles with a timed punch, or theyre small enough to dodge, but not Duck Hunt's. His can of beans seem to take random amounts of attacks to explode and it moves so weirdly you cant just avoid it. And the AoE on his clay pigeon is....stupidly huge.
You can kick the can with a dash attack or what not and it'll go flying back towards him. I've kicked the can right into his face a ton of times with Yoshi, his dash attack seems to send it on just the perfect angle.

Also, Pac Man and Diddy have projectiles that persist too, though not to quite the same degree.

EDIT: Note that you can also kick the gunman too, and he won't shoot. I think the clay pigeon is immune though.

Last edited:

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
Link players who are terrible, but determined to get at least one victory with their pleb tier playstyle of spamming projectiles (and very predictable smashes) until timeout.

Not actually difficult to play against, just incredibly annoying and boring. I'm pretty much forced to switch to Fox when facing one of these assholes.

I would say DHD as well, but at least that one has easily avoidable projectiles, and I can smash that damn can right back at him.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903

Generally i beat them through they dont know how to use the hero once i get in range. If they do then im boned since he doesnt even NEED the projectiles, but has them anyway.
Pit's Orbitars absolutely destroy Duck Hunt Duo, try it out sometime.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:4bowser: is the character people tend to go to when they just had their butt handed to them, which is understandable as he is quite clearly one of the best characters in the game.

:4shulk: can be a pain more so because of my own mistakes, I always hugely underestimate the range on his F-Smash.

:4duckhunt: as Meta Knight is ****ing impossible.

:4marth: continues to counter Jigglypuff with his great range.

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Sonic is the one who messes me up bad, have to play super patiently or I'll look like I forgot how to play. Theres just so few Sonic players online that I just get no experience with them.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4greninja:: Quick and his up-B can be annoying for recovering
:4lucario:: Counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter, counter
:4zss:: Very quick and agile. Her down-B can be very annoying.
:4ganondorf:: I have no idea why but I've been doing really bad against Ganondorf players recently.

I'm probably in the minority, but I have never had a problem with :4shulk: online.

Top Bottom