• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can Link do out of shield?

The Joey

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheJoey
3DS FC
3652-0533-0689
In melee link could spin attack out of shield and it was pretty useful. Unfortunately this Isnt the case in pm. So what other options does link have out of shield?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Spin attack out of shield is still around, and just as useful as in Melee..
.. Which is to say that it's very situational and should be used only for reliable punishes.

Other goodish options are jump out (usually away from opponent) with nair or boomerang, usmash for anti-air, grab obviously, and spot dodge/roll.

The more I play link, the more I think you should just avoid shield as much as possible, esp against chars with a decent ground speed + grab. Grabs eat Link for breakfast, so you want to avoid them as much as you can with better zoning tools (jab jab, Nair, etc)

cmloe

Smash Cadet
Do you need tap jump on to do things out of sheild? Im trying to do spin attack out of sheild with tap jump off and its not working.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Do you need tap jump on to do things out of sheild? Im trying to do spin attack out of sheild with tap jump off and its not working.
It's certainly easier to upB with tap jump on. The jump is canceling your shield, so otherwise, you'll have to input a jump button + upB. All the other options don't require tap jump.

cmloe

Smash Cadet
It's certainly easier to upB with tap jump on. The jump is canceling your shield, so otherwise, you'll have to input a jump button + upB. All the other options don't require tap jump.
Yeah, i was finally able to do it a couple of times while i was in the lab. Alot of the time when i use to upB i would do a air upB when i wanted it grounded so thats why i turned tap jump off so it would help my game a little more. Thanks for the response.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
upB OoS is only bad if you're not using it right. Wavedash OoS is definitely an option with Link, and I really like Nair OoS too. Usmash is also pretty decent. One of my favorites is JC bomb throws out of shield, which you can throw up or behind you. Maybe even AGT OoS? ;)

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
upB OoS is only bad if you're not using it right. Wavedash OoS is definitely an option with Link, and I really like Nair OoS too. Usmash is also pretty decent. One of my favorites is JC bomb throws out of shield, which you can throw up or behind you. Maybe even AGT OoS? ;)
You can just throw the bombs out of shield with the c-stick. No jump cancel required. This is the same for all throwable items.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Well, I usually jump and then down-throw the bomb out of shield if I'm going to do a toss out of shield. And yes, you can jump out of shield, then AGT toss as well. None of those options seem to be as good as just nairing or doing a retreating SH-rang, but you'll get predictable if you only use those.

Shield-grabbing is also surprisingly doable in PM. Link's grab is faster than it was in Melee, I think. Most seasoned PM players respect Link's shield-grab like they should, but a surprising amount of people throw out unsafe moves on Link's shield because they think he can't do anything about it. An added bonus is that characters who rely on sliding out of grab range once their hit connects (like Luigi) can often still be punished by the ranged grab.

Top Bottom