• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your thoughts about Mario Kart DS and Diddy Kong Racing DS

Shadow Wolf TJC

Smash Rookie
I completed both games and raced on both of them online, and I'd now like to see what you thought about these two games. I'll provide my thoughts on both games, which of the two I liked better, and my reasons why, starting with my thoughts about MKDS. If somebody else has already made a topic like this, please link me to it as I've already made a search for this topic with questionable results and no sign of any related topics.:(

MKDS was a pretty great game when I 1st played it, despite being disappointed with a few things (see below). I had already played Mario Kart: Double Dash!! before, so I was already familiar with the controls when I 1st started playing MKDS. I tried out all the different karts and found that my favorite karts before I went online for the 1st time had average-high acceleration, low drifting, high handling, and high item power; in other words, my favorite karts were the Streamliner and the Cucumber before I went online for the 1st time. I liked some of the new gameplay elements such as moving terrain, (like those spinning gears in Tick-Tock Clock and the spinning bridge and shifting panels in Bowser's Castle) missions that tested your skills, the ability to drive on various courses from past Mario Kart games, and the ability to use the Bullet Bill item (which is basically similar to MKDD's Chain Chomp item for the most part) and the Bob-omb item.

However, there were a few things that disappointed me though. I didn't like the Blooper at all, as it was very useless to me, and I was also disappointed that the Fireballs and those gigantic Bowser Shells from MKDD were not featured in the game. I was also disappointed that not all of the 72 courses (20 from Super Mario Kart, 16 from Mario Kart 64, 20 from Mario Kart Super Circuit, and 16 from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!) from past Mario Kart games made it to MKDS (especially Mario Raceway, Yoshi Valley, and Bowser's Castle for MK64, and Wario Colosseum, Mario Circuit, DK Mountain, and Bowser's Castle for MKDD) And then there was the fact that only 20 of the 32 playable tracks could be played online without the aid of something like action replay or whatever that's called (which stunk as some of my favorite courses, such as Bowser's Castle, Airship Fortress, Tick-Tock Clock, and Banshee Boardwalk, were not available online).

However, what really got me disappointed with this game was soon after I went online, which happened after I had unlocked everything that could've been unlocked in Single Player. I discovered a well-known exploit known as "snaking" as soon as I went online; to "snake" in MKDS is to do a series of drift-turbos on a straight path, which makes the kart appear as if it was zig-zagging like a snake much faster than it was supposed to be. While I may've quickly mastered this technique, and while it has helped me greatly to achieve my win/loss record of 935/165 on Nintendo WFC Matches, I hated it for two reasons. #1, snaking constantly throughout a course (shakes fist at Figure-8 Circuit) was unbearably painful for my steering hand (left hand). #2, it was an exploit that was probably not supposed to have been in the game in the 1st place, which made the Dry Bomber the kart of choice for most top players, including myself. I wished that Nintendo could've applied patches to their games through the WFC, as this was the reason why I now prefer to play DKRDS online much more than MKDS.

When I 1st heard about Diddy Kong Racing DS, I was as hyped about it as I was with Mario Kart DS. Compared with Mario Kart DS, I didn't get as disappointed with DKRDS as I did with MKDS. While I do miss seeing Conker and Banjo on the track, I'm not so disappointed, as I had already known that Microsoft now owns Rare. Dixie and a newly-redesigned Tiny Kong (didn't expect her to grow into a teenager at this game, though I still welcomed the change) made good replacements, and Taj and Wizpig as playable characters was also welcomed IMO. The return of all 20 racetracks and 4 battle tracks from the original Diddy Kong Racing (with some tracks redesigned) was a nice relief, along with the introduction of 4 brand-new tracks. The inclusion of special "upgrade coins" on each track that can be used to upgrade your item to a unique, usually very useful item (such as a barrier of 3 homing missiles, 5 bombs disguised as coins, and this game's version of the Mario Kart series's blue winged shell of doom) was nice. The ability to do an extra-sharp drift turn with the car and the ability to get an even bigger boost from zippers and Blue Balloons by keeping my thumb off of the A button until it's done boosting make a return, but without Taj providing the hints. There's a shop where you can trade in the hard-earned coins, that you can pick up from racetracks as you're racing, for upgrades to your car, hovercraft, and plane, new tracks, and various other things. Finally, there's a rather simple track editor that you can use to make your own tracks (which is a bit of a disappointment to me since I expected a track editor that the developers of this game would've used to make the game's tracks instead).

The usage of the touch screen and microphone are essential in unlocking all the content in this game, including hidden characters and the Future Funland courses, which several people don't like to do sadly. The usage of the touch screen and the microphone for boosting at the starting line was a nice change from having to time your button-presses for me (especially since I keep my stylus held between my fingers, ready for some more touch screen usage during several races, while racing instead of having to drop it or throw it away like several other people:chuckle:), though several people may not like having to do this. There's this touch-screen challenge that challenges you to pop enough balloons with the stylus to pass (which shouldn't be a problem if you're accurate and quick with the stylus like myself) that you need to complete in order to get enough balloons to challenge Wizpig. One of Taj's newest challenges requires you to blow out several torches by blowing into the microphone in under a minute. (It took me a day or 10 before I discovered that I had to blow into that little slit below the bottom-left part of the touch screen that said "MIC." next to it in order to use the microphone in DKRDS. I was spitting at the touch screen while my cheeks were aching trying to complete that challenge.:psycho:) Finally, there are these touch screen challenges that can be done after you collect a piece of the Wizpig amulet from a boss that are, fortunately, not essential for unlocking everything in the game (which is good for me, as a couple of these challenges are too tough for me for now).

Online multiplayer, I'd have to say, puts MKDS's multiplayer to shame. Players can race against up to 5 other players, battle with up to 3 other players, or do this new mode called Token Tussle with up to 5 other players where you need to collect tokens that appear around the track. Unlike MKDS, there's no such thing as snaking in DKRDS, which makes this game a little more newbie-friendly and much less painful for the pro player's hands (and which is the reason why I'm still playing my copy of DKRDS while my copy of MKDS is collecting dust). Use of the touch screen and microphone are still essential for getting those rocket starts online, so any professional MKDS player who snakes in MKDS for wins, but can't deal with the need to use the touch screen and microphone for rocket starts, would probably be seen as a noob in DKRDS online and may decide to go back to snaking in MKDS for more wins.

I realize the fact that some people prefer to play MKDS over DKRDS anyday, while others (including myself) prefer to play DKRDS over MKDS. I'd guess that players who fall into the former category are either people who see the ability to "snake" as something that separates the noobs from the leets, or people who can't deal with the touch screen or microphone usage for many parts of DKRDS such as the rocket start. And I'd guess that players who fall into the latter category are people who can deal with using the touch screen and microphone throughout the game and/or people who hated "snakers" and the "snaking" technique in MKDS.

Oh and for anyone who's interested in racing against me in DKRDS, my friend code is 296445-784213, and my username is "FLASH FIRE."

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Uh... it pretty much seems like you've got everything covered there.

I don't have Diddy Kong- but I enjoyed MK:DS. Snaking was a little frustrating, but I got used to it.

Nice review/topic.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
II was also disappointed that not all of the 72 courses (20 from Super Mario Kart, 16 from Mario Kart 64, 20 from Mario Kart Super Circuit, and 16 from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!) from past Mario Kart games made it to MKDS
You honestly expected 72 tracks, PLUS MORE new ones to be in the 1 DS game?

Shadow Wolf TJC

Smash Rookie
Uh... it pretty much seems like you've got everything covered there.

I don't have Diddy Kong- but I enjoyed MK:DS. Snaking was a little frustrating, but I got used to it.

Nice review/topic.
Thanks.

You honestly expected 72 tracks, PLUS MORE new ones to be in the 1 DS game?
As outrageous as it may seem, I did indeed used to have those expectations before I got MKDS, but after I started playing MKDS, I started to think that 72+ tracks would be really pushing the DS cartridge's storage limits.

pdk

Smash Lord
no point in playin' either when there's this:

Shadow Wolf TJC

Smash Rookie
I liked Super Mario Kart as well when it came out for the SNES (plenty of fond memories such as not knowing what I was supposed to do in that game when I 1st played), but nowadays, I like all of the later Mario Kart games, both Diddy Kong Racing games, Crash Team Racing, and Crash Nitro Kart more. Blame it on the attempts to perfect the very kart-racing genre that Super Mario Kart established over a decade ago.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I used to like Snes mario Kart, played some late last year, the steering is IMPOSIBLE, hated steering so bad >.<

bloodvayne

Smash Apprentice
They're both really good games, simple enough
but
MKDS: Snaking is NOT an exploit. gahh
DKRDS: it was good, but there were too many character imbalances (taj or wizpig + car)

Shadow Wolf TJC

Smash Rookie
DKRDS: it was good, but there were too many character imbalances (taj or wizpig + car)
I don't know about that. Most of the Taj and Wizpig players that I've raced against I've defeated as Pipsy, my character of choice, even if we were racing in cars. However, I have been defeated a few times by people who play as any of the other characters such as Tiptup, Diddy, Dixie, Bumper, and T.T..

Besides, most people would try to pick stages and vehicles that favor their characters the best and/or that wouldn't favor the other players' characters the best. For example, as great as Taj and Wizpig might be in the car, it seems that planes don't like these characters so much, even if they had the best handling upgrades that money could buy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As my username already suggests; Diddy Kong Racing DS is my choice. Not only is the multiplayer and online mode much better than Mario Kart's, the game is also much more balanced. All the MKDS pro's only use Dry Bones, or atleast the Dry Bomber kart. In DKRDS you can easly go online with every character you prefer.

However I agree that Taj and Wizpig are very good in the car, their horrible plane and hovercraft steering makes up for it so they're easly countered. Items are also much more balanced in DKRDS seeing that you can actually predict when the other player is gonna use a homing missle so you can much easier adapt to it.

Anyways, you made a nice review there Shadow Wolf TJC. :) Your one of the view who's not based against DKRDS, and I'd like to race against you sometime. My friendcode is in my siggy, please PM me or reply back.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Snaking is great and DKRDS was a downfall since they had to replace Banjo with Tiny(Tiny is cool though). Sadly, every time I get a chance to go online for MKDS, the other people end up DC'ing. I have had that in all my matches and that is like 100 and something,(that is a lot for me considering I have no connection)and my record is still 0-0 for those disconnects by people. It gets me P.O.'d that people are sore losers.

Ate Track

Smash Cadet
it's a pain in the *** to powerslide in mario kart ds IMO.. and that's such a major part of the game.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Snaking in MKDS isn't an exploit because Nintendo has known about it. In fact, over the last few games, they made Snaking easier and more beneficial.

Back in the days of MK64, Snaking was a super rare technique that wasn't even applicable for multiplayer racing as all it did is shave a small few seconds in Time Trail and was insanely difficult to do. In MKDD, the mechanics of power sliding were made so that it was easier to get a boost, and because of that, snaking was actually somewhat easy. In MKDS though, they let the acceleration stat determine the length of your drift boosts and caused a huge imbalance in the roster.

So it was all Nintendo's fault for making Snaking into what it is today. I just hope it is actually reduced in Mario Kart Wii. I hate the snaking element because there could be so many more exotic pro methods that are just useless because of it.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
MKDS is awesome! DKRDS is crap. They completely ruined DKRDS by implementing all of these stupid touch screen features that just feel imposed apon you and ruin the game.

Top Bottom