• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are your main issues with ultimate

i am idiot

Smash Rookie
ssbu has been out for a few months now and everybody loves it! but as we all know, no video game is perfect. in this thread you're able to share your issues and/or nitpicks with the game

The main rule is you are not allowed to insult/attack others because of there criticisms.
if you have an opinion/criticism you would like to share but you know will be controversial, please state that it is simply your personal opinion.

edit: at this point i might as well just rule out the online since pretty much everyone in the community has already done that.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
In before everyone takes a colossal dump on online...

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The main rule is you are not allowed to insult/attack others because of there criticisms, simply just state your issues with their criticisms and move on.
Insult/attack no, but post and move on, also no. There's no point to a thread if there's not going to be meaningful discussion happening in it.

I think the main issues with the game have been outlined for those who would look for them. People complain about the lack of a dedicated competitive online queue, the stage hazards (both the lack of a more easily-accessible toggle and what should/shouldn't be considered hazards)... I hear a lot of complaints about Mac's lack of viability. Me personally, I'm very disappointed with the spirits system compared to the customization system in SSB4, but I think I'm pretty alone there.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
This feels like the 100th time I’ve mentioned this on the forums, but there needs to be more options in the control settings. Like being able to set a shorthop and fullhop button, and toggle shorthop aerial tech.

Secondly, I’m not crazy about how so many aerials are safe on shield in this game (unless you parry). In my own opinion, the majority of aerials should not be safe unless properly spaced. I know though that this is mainly a shield issue in that they were weakened in Ultimate, but shielding should be a stronger option than it is currently. Reduce the shield drop frames possibly.

Another thing is that although I’m not much of a “single player/campaign” type of guy, the WoL was quite underwhelming.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
While Ultimate has become my favorite competitive Smash game, finally eclipsing Melee and what little PM I still played, I do have some issues. I'm still not a fan of the ledge mechanics, I think at a certain percentage trumping should become hogging, and I also think you should get ONE ledge trump before you can be edge hogged BUT getting back on stage / touching ground restores your ability to trump until you pass the percentage threshold. I think this would still allow casual players to feel less punished, but could go some distance competitively as well. I'd honestly prefer edge hogging outright, if I'm being honest.

I miss the movement options in Melee enabled by directional airdodging, wavedashing and wavelanding are so situationally dependent / niche and FEW characters can make even tiny use of them.. and I do wish this weren't the case. That said I still do adore the movement in Ultimate compared to the last two games. I don't care that L-Cancelling is gone as it's an arbitrary mechanical barrier that achieves nothing, and Ultimate took the right middle road by reducing landing lag to VERY low levels across the board.

Online is crap, but we all know that. I do like BA's though, to an extent. I have little issues here and there outside of that, but Ultimate I feel is the best Smash game I have ever played, maybe even that I will ever play. If we get another one, I'm afraid things could start going downhill again, I don't really know. I didn't expect to love Smash Ultimate as much as I did, so at the end of the day I'm very happy.

Oh and Spirit Mode is stupid. I miss event matches and such, but I understand how it could have a broader appeal to the casual demographic.. for what it's worth I think Subspace was worse because of its awful gameplay. I also miss the wonderful, janky-ass Melee Battlefield.. and I REALLY miss Melee FD.

Last edited:

dankDadi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7920 2309 3314
trying to shorthop is very hard for me. i dont know if its because i play on handheld, or i am just bad, but in my opinion, its should have its own button

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
trying to shorthop is very hard for me. i dont know if its because i play on handheld, or i am just bad, but in my opinion, its should have its own button
It kind of does, there's now since 2.0.0 a way to short hop automatically by pressing two jump inputs as once, and you can also do rising short hop aerials or 'fusions' by pressing jump and an attack input at the same time. I still suggest you learn to short hop with one button and use that primarily, though.. I'd also recommend getting off of handheld if results are something you want. The Joycon controls are abysmal and Smash will likely damage them overtime.

If handheld is a must, get a wireless controller or a USB-C controller adapter and use that.. don't use JC's.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
too many characters
I actually agree with this. I don't mind new characters, but it's getting quite crowded. There are very few characters I actually enjoy out of the large roster.
This is a weird statement if you main King Dedede. Either way, I'd either get a GameCube controller or a wired Pro Controller. If you don't feel like using either one, then go into Training Mode and go to Battlefield. Go under the platform, and tap the jump button several times. If you're not landing on the platform, then you're doing short hops. Of course this might be character dependent. I don't know if King Dedede's full hop has him land on a platform. Anyway, just do short hops in place for a while that way you get a feel for it. Once you have that down, start walking and using the short hops. Once you feel comfortable with that, dash around and use your short hops. It takes practice, but I know you can do it. After you get short hops down while moving around, then you can apply attacks to your short hops. You can do it!

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I actually agree with this. I don't mind new characters, but it's getting quite crowded. There are very few characters I actually enjoy out of the large roster.

This is a weird statement if you main King Dedede. Either way, I'd either get a GameCube controller or a wired Pro Controller. If you don't feel like using either one, then go into Training Mode and go to Battlefield. Go under the platform, and tap the jump button several times. If you're not landing on the platform, then you're doing short hops. Of course this might be character dependent. I don't know if King Dedede's full hop has him land on a platform. Anyway, just do short hops in place for a while that way you get a feel for it. Once you have that down, start walking and using the short hops. Once you feel comfortable with that, dash around and use your short hops. It takes practice, but I know you can do it. After you get short hops down while moving around, then you can apply attacks to your short hops. You can do it!
That's the thing, you may hate 79 of the eventual 80 deep roster picks, but that's just your opinion and thousands individually love and choose to play each of those other characters to varying degrees.

There is no such thing are too many characters in terms of just, a number. The problem are busted / poorly designed characters, which Ultimate probably has the least of EVER in Smash.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I can't enjoy the online because it doesn't even work. And that means LAG that is not fault from the players, but the lack of dedicated servers. Other than simply dont even work properly, there is all the "preferred rules" problem and the lack of a proper competitive rank system.

For the rest of the game, I have only minor (almost irrelevant) problems.

The big problem is, because online doesn't work, I can't enjoy the game in full potential in 95% of the time I play it. I cant reunite my friends every time I want to play.

Last edited:

dankDadi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7920 2309 3314

oh, i am practicing with captain falcon and im trying to do shorthop nair. thanks for the advice

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
GSP is an issue, and I feel that any ranking system will cause players to play it safe, as if they're gambling. Did you win? Yes. Try again? Nah, that was close. I don't want to lose 1,000 points I earned from five matches prior. GSP means Gambling Smash Points. I can't say I know how this would be resolved. It doesn't help that those who aren't in Elite Smash feel demoralized for having not yet made it.

Public Arenas is good, but my issue is you don't know how skilled people are, unless you fight them yourself. I've been kicked before for nearly three-stocking a Sonic named Lv.1 hosted by someone named Ty. Lv.1 quit, resulting the match going to No Contest. Then I was kicked out. Everything has pros and cons, but frankly, I enjoy PA more. People seem less rude and it's cool to see how long you can maintain first place against others.

D

Deleted member

Just the thing about having to play WoL as a whole again just to play as Master Hand another time.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
too many characters
I don't feel there's too many but I don't feel like we need more characters, I would be fine if they stopped after the five dlc we know we're getting.

I can't really think what big issues I have with this game other than online which has been mentioned already.

Just the thing about having to play WoL as a whole again just to play as Master Hand another time.
This should have been added to mob Smash after completing WoL in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It feels rather disturbing to know that Giga Bowser is the only boss with a fighter ID, and yet he's not playable at all without hacks. And to add insult to injury, Giga Bowser's role in Bowser's Final Smash is simply punching fighters to make screen KOs.

I get that a lot of stages aren't designed to support Giga Bowser's size, but there could've at least been an option to change how Bowser's Final Smash would operate; Battlefield, Final Destination, and all Omega form stages would properly support Giga Bowser's size.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
GSP is an awful ranking system but we've already been through that

My other gripes (other than online) are:
- A lack of any kind of description surrounding the spirits. They're just pictures with little to no context, meaning that the spirit collection doesn't work very well as a museum of videogame history
- I liked some aspects of World of Light (going against other fighters is a better experience than running through boring platforming levels), but towards the end it really felt like they were going full throttle with the padding
- I like a lot of the small changes they did make, but there are still a load of things they didn't change which are long due for an update. Not like 'this ruins the game!' kind of issues, but a large collection of more nitpicky gripes

D

Deleted member

this goddamn buffer system

seriously **** this **** you'll airdodge offstage because you tried to roll once back in 2008 when playing brawl

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
this goddamn buffer system

seriously **** this **** you'll airdodge offstage because you tried to roll once back in 2008 when playing brawl
I love it, wouldn't have it any other way.

The buffer system is making a lot that otherwise wouldn't be, possible. I wouldn't give up attack cancel BAir RAR's, tilt-cancel NAir turnarounds, C-Stick NAirs, dash cancel tilts or any of that for anything. You just have to learn not to do stupid stuff like mash carelessly out of grabs and etc, it won't effect you negatively after.

The buffer system in Ult taught me to be super consistent with my inputs, even inputs I didn't think / know would go through. I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It feels rather disturbing to know that Giga Bowser is the only boss with a fighter ID, and yet he's not playable at all without hacks. And to add insult to injury, Giga Bowser's role in Bowser's Final Smash is simply punching fighters to make screen KOs.

I get that a lot of stages aren't designed to support Giga Bowser's size, but there could've at least been an option to change how Bowser's Final Smash would operate; Battlefield, Final Destination, and all Omega form stages would properly support Giga Bowser's size.
A lot of stages are considerably bigger than FD/Battlefield, though I suppose the tight quarters of stages like Palutena's Temple or Great Cave Offensive would give him fits (actually, "suppose" nothing, use Bowser's Final Smash on those stages in Smash 4 and you can experience the frustration for yourself (come to think of it, those stages weren't exactly friendly to the Landmasters, either)).

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Echoes. Most were much more lazy than Melee clones and weren't even given the dignity of their own number.

Also, settings being too cumbersome to change, and stage and fighter select screens' organization. They could at least allow the option of by series sorting.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
When not even 1/10 of the roster can be qualified as echoes, I can't see a problem. It's either get them as echoes or not at all in almost every single instance, and you'd have a hard time convincing me how 'not at all' is preferable in most instances.

Arthur97

Smash Master
When not even 1/10 of the roster can be qualified as echoes, I can't see a problem. It's either get them as echoes or not at all in almost every single instance, and you'd have a hard time convincing me how 'not at all' is preferable in most instances.
They could have at least given them numbers. Or, you know, something substantial to differentiate all of them. At the very least different animations for most non-attack animations.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
They could have at least given them numbers. Or, you know, something substantial to differentiate all of them. At the very least different animations for most non-attack animations.
I don't think they had the time.

Thus, as-is or not at all.

D

Deleted member

Ken was an echo who kinda fits your suggestion of having different visuals and substancial stuff to put them on their own.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ken was an echo who kinda fits your suggestion of having different visuals and substancial stuff to put them on their own.
And ironically I don't like him for being the only one. And even he has the same idle animations. That's another issue, a lack of consistency.

D

Deleted member

And ironically I don't like him for being the only one. And even he has the same idle animations. That's another issue, a lack of consistency.
Yup, it is true that there's a weird inconsistency with some Echo Fighters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Then there's the question of why isn't Doc an echo? He was with the other two in 4 and has fewer unique moves than Ken. For that matter, of the three in 4, why was he chosen to be the one they gave new stuff?

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
It doesn't help that Ken's Up B is outright worse than Ryu's and does a lot to hurt the character. Forcing arcade stick / D-Pad directional combos into a game like Smash was also lunacy imo, as was the always facing you crap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they were done TOO faithfully to SF and it hurt them a lot.

Then there's the question of why isn't Doc an echo? He was with the other two in 4 and has fewer unique moves than Ken. For that matter, of the three in 4, why was he chosen to be the one they gave new stuff?
Because Doc is one of the oldest echo fighter's there is. His veteran status puts him in a more deserving spot imo.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It doesn't help that Ken's Up B is outright worse than Ryu's and does a lot to hurt the character. Forcing arcade stick / D-Pad directional combos into a game like Smash was also lunacy imo, as was the always facing you crap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they were done TOO faithfully to SF and it hurt them a lot.

Because Doc is one of the oldest echo fighter's there is. His veteran status puts him in a more deserving spot imo.
Except Doc is literally Mario in scrubs.

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216

Actually Doc can’t be an echo because he had his own base game (technically). He has his own smash logo and everything so sakurai and Nintendo said, this can’t be an echo because he’s from a different series. And it’s true. If they starred in a game, they get their own smash logo

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Actually Doc can’t be an echo because he had his own base game (technically). He has his own smash logo and everything so sakurai and Nintendo said, this can’t be an echo because he’s from a different series. And it’s true. If they starred in a game, they get their own smash logo
Yes but at the same time, he IS just Mario with a different life story. I'm fine with him being the way he is (barring his recovery, it's pointlessly bad for no real reason I can see) for the most part.. but I can also see why people think this way.

Top Bottom