• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your favorite ways to play the game aside of 1vs1?

Sparky08

Smash Rookie
We mostly focus on the competetive side of Smash and often forget that this game has many ways to bring us fun. So there lies the question.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy the game aside of 1vs1?
Mine is Street Fighter Bros. ( :ultryu:and :ultken: only, Final Smash Meter, Stamina), Squad Strike, making bootleg mii versions of characters ( Samus vs Metroid is the best anime battle of all time ) and just simple Free for Alls with friends.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like recreating scenes from games. I did Kirby v Dedede on Omega Fountain of Dreams, and Dk and Diddy vs K. Rool on Pirate Ship.

D

Deleted member

This is coming from someone who has yet to play Ultimate, but my favorite way of playing was inspired by Melee's Pokémon Battle and Mario Party's chance-based minigames. Control two characters at once, take turns activating Pokéballs and let the assistant Pokémon deal the damage. I even made a tournament out of it based a bit on Brawl/Smash 4 competitive play rules except that the legal stage list is composed of strictly pure walk-off stages.

To get maximum experience, my suggestion is to play on a Pokémon stage with stamina.

Sayonara :kirby:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I'm actually a big fan of 8 player mode, it's quite exciting to see a huge amount of characters beat each other up.

I usually like doing theme matches with the cast.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Well... I'd play with Amiibo if they didn't have those stupid stat boosts.

Otherwise the only nonstandard forms of play I like to do are spirit battles (for lack of a good custom character system) and occasionally stamina stocks.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I enjoy doing 2v2s a lot as well.
The online queue is never much, though, are they? I mean, it depends on skill level of course, but there are a lot fewer skilled duo teams playing at any given time, and there's not really any GSP considered, so the matches are kind of random.

My friend and I are working towards playing in doubles tournaments but online isn't really a practice option.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
The online queue is never much, though, are they? I mean, it depends on skill level of course, but there are a lot fewer skilled duo teams playing at any given time, and there's not really any GSP considered, so the matches are kind of random.

My friend and I are working towards playing in doubles tournaments but online isn't really a practice option.
We have no problem queueing up in the doubles matchmaking mode. We do get beat by plenty of other teams so challenge isn't a problem either. Neither of us are really preparing for a doubles tournament or anything, so it's just for fun.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I was always a fan of putting four giant players together on a small stage with as much extra knockback as possible. Other statuses like Metal or Curry optional. Someone's dying pretty much every second.

Last edited:

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
Max pokeballs with 4 local players is the classic party game, especially making everyone use random characters or the same character that has a reflect (Fox in melee days).
also spent a lot of time trying to perfect my bat drop > down air to smash sandbag back in the melee homerun challenge too

Recently, the squads has been pretty entertaining for me but not as many people to play with in person means it hasnt gotten a lot of play time

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sometimes when I get bored, I like to try to recreate battle scenes using a 4 player stamina mode type scenario.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Team battles, they can be really fun with the right people. Which is hard to do when you go on random online matches. Especially on ult's quickplay where mostly everyone is just cheesing the win.

When it's friends only, it can be fun to have items on high with Mr. Saturn, bumpers, springs, ect. It gets wild towards the midpoint and that's when it also gets hilarious.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
1v1s are actually by far my least favorite way to play Smash. I find them bland at best and outright frustrating at worst since the same person usually wins every time. Teams and FFAs are way better for me, which is why it makes me so sad that the Smash community has locked itself into 1v1 culture so hard. The more the merrier, I say! Bring on the wacky stages! (Just don't pick Palutena's Temple, or you're a dead man.)
I will say that Squad Strike is a really cool mode and gets an honorable mention, but the fact that it's restricted to 1v1's and also only available locally kind of bums me out.

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
3 or 4 players free for all without items and training. Otherwise i don’t really play the game anymore because i have everything completed except for leveling spirita and new game plus.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I actually end up having to hold back a lot in doubles. With friendly fire on, I end up hitting my ally as much as anyone else if I'm not careful. Very careful.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
None. 1v1 is my smash life. I’m a very competitive person; that might display why.

Nope, not even spirit mode.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
this thread already assumes everyone prefers 1v1 over everything which i can tell you..is not the case ^^''

i personally like matches with 4 players though prefered with stocks.. can be with/without items on any stage idc haha
though with items it can make the match go any way lol

Last edited:

Sparky08

Smash Rookie
this thread already assumes everyone prefers 1v1 over everything which i can tell you..is not the case ^^"
Oh i didnt want it to sound like that. Everyone enjoys the game how they like and playing 1vs1 only isn't bad or anything.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
this thread already assumes everyone prefers 1v1 over everything
It doesn't assume that at all. The OP included that in the title to prevent the likelihood of every response being "1v1." Or a disproportionate number of them, at least. It wouldn't have made for much of a discussion.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't assume that at all. The OP included that in the title to prevent the likelihood of every response being "1v1." Or a disproportionate number of them, at least. It wouldn't have made for much of a discussion.
it just came over to me that way so all i did was mentioning it that's all, no problems here :D
i wasn't trying to start discussion here, just mentioning something does not seem like a discussion to me....

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
My brother calls it "Potato Smash".

Villager Only. On smashville. 4 stock. No items. Final Smash on. You can only use Down B and Neutral B.

Best played with 4 - 6 players. Have fun!

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I do 3-4 player Smashdowns every Friday at my school’s gameclub. I also got a friend of mine to do online co-op with me and it is super fun because we come up with crazy team combos and those matches can be more interesting than 1 v 1s.

Top Bottom