• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the worst customs?

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
spinphony.
lazy shuttle loop.
nayru's rejection.
wakie wakie.
almost all of the up-b's with no hitboxes.
the popgun which only explodes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've recalled hearing that Warlock Thrust is among the worst custom moves in the game, as it offers nothing rewarding at all; increased speed is not worth it if the attack packs a lot less power, AND has no super armor.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree. Most of Jigglypuff's customs are outright awful.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
All customs are the worst custom.

But for real, the customs that are just a slower stronger version or a weaker faster version are the ones that lack creativity the most and so they are the worst in my opinion.

_gold_

Smash Master
Just to list a few customs which I've noticed are horrendous:
  • Lazy Shuttle Loop - Meta Knight
  • Nayru's Rejection - Zelda
  • Spinphony - Jigglypuff (seriously?)

Last edited:

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Fox's laser custom that makes it like falco's......... except you have to wait for him to put the gun away EVERY SINGLE SHOT!!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I have messed around with almost all of the game's custom moves, and can usually find situations where custom specials can be handy, albeit situational. However, one default move in particular stands out to me more so than most others:

Even in solo offline modes, I cannot find any good reason to replace Wario's neutral B. With any of his alternatives, he not only loses his ability to eat his own bike / parts, but he also loses his ability to self-heal. Does anyone see a case to modify his already versatile neutral?

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
The customs for the DLC characters :yeahboi:

Serious answer: I don't know if any of Zelda's ^B customs are worth using over her default.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Idk I feel like the customs kinda got shafted anyway. Its always like, a normal move, a move that guys fast and doesnt do damage, and a slow move that hits hard.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Probably one of the worst to me is Marth/Lucina's Effortless Blade. There's only one combo type now, and what's the point of being able to wait longer between moves if that means it won't combo? Additionally, they can normally use the first swing of side B multiple times to recover, and making the side B able to wait longer between moves means that they will probably use the full combo when they're trying to recover. Simply awful, I tell you!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Effortless Blade isn't "that" bad though, but I guess it's one man's opinion at that point.

Speaking of which, Catch & Release is pretty awful, since you're giving up the ability to counter projectiles for an attack that hardly has any reward when it does connect with your opponent.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Catch & Release is pretty bad in any matchups against someone with projectiles, but in matchups like Captain Falcon, it could be slightly useful. I do agree it's the worst of her down B options, but I don't think it's terrible.

Back on topic, I also find Donkey Kong's Chopper Kong awful, not just because it's heavily outclassed by the other options, but because there's only one small advantage, a slight gain in height, to counter its loss of horizontal recovery and hitboxes. At least with Bowser's Flying Fortress, it goes much higher than normal to make up for its loss of horizontal recovery...

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I feel bad for Jiggs: Terrible character, no customs to back her up.
Keep your sorrow to yourself. She's far from terrible. Her customs, however, cause me physical pain.
From my experience, the worst custom moves include, but are not limited to:
Fire Orb/Mega Capsule
Clothesline Cyclone/Tornado
Heavy Veggies
Launch Star Attack
Warlock Thrust
Effortless Blade
Spinphony
Falco Phase
Unyielding Blade
Dedede Storm
Ice Breath
Shotgun Cannon or Shot or whatever it is that useless Charge Shot custom is called.
I don't understand the point of this one. I assumed it was for recovery, but you can't grab the ledge when you use it.

What uses does it have?
It's the only Rest that you can combo into, so it serves as a somewhat situational KO move. It's actually really fun to use.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As a bowser jr main, I think he has the worst customs so far.
Koopa Drift isn't all that bad, since even though it packs less power, it's harder to shield-grab. But I will say that Koopa Meteor is quite awful for recovery, since it heavily slows down Bowser Jr.'s horizontal movement, and the move doesn't have any hitboxes before the Koopa Clown Car explodes.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
Honestly, the worst customs are every customs except for Mii fighters and Palutena.
They're the only 2 characters with actual unique customs instead of slight variations of the normal one.

Utility wise though, Zelda's are pretty awful except for maybe one.
Shield break on the phantom is pretty nice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly, the worst customs are every customs except for Mii fighters and Palutena.
They're the only 2 characters with actual unique customs instead of slight variations of the normal one.

Utility wise though, Zelda's are pretty awful except for maybe one.
Shield break on the phantom is pretty nice.
That's quite ironic to say when you consider that some custom specials are actually "better" than the defaults. Dark Fists is a perfect example of this.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
That's quite ironic to say when you consider that some custom specials are actually "better" than the defaults. Dark Fists is a perfect example of this.
I don't quite understand. I don't think I implied that the originals were better than the customs for every character.

The first part of the my post was my opinion about customs not being unique except for 2 characters, and the second part was my opinion that Zelda had some pretty awful customs.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
To add another, Distant Nosferatu. It's not awful, but it's a direct downgrade. Instead of increasing the range, it just moves it away, and it becomes less effective at that. It's hard to space properly, and if you overreach your opponent, you're eating a hard punish.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Jiggs has some awful customs.
For Crazy Orders, I actually modify most of her specials. Pound Blitz, Relentless Rollout, and Leaping Rest all aid in getting that critical First Striker invincibility prior to clearing tickets with the bat.

As a bowser jr main, I think he has the worst customs so far.
Again in Crazy Orders, I switch his specials to Air Cannon and Impatient Mechakoopa. Both are very handy in landing the First Striker invincibility.

I still see no purpose to modify Wario's default neutral special, regardless of competitive or solo mode play.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
For Crazy Orders, I actually modify most of her specials. Pound Blitz, Relentless Rollout, and Leaping Rest all aid in getting that critical First Striker invincibility prior to clearing tickets with the bat.

Again in Crazy Orders, I switch his specials to Air Cannon and Impatient Mechakoopa. Both are very handy in landing the First Striker invincibility.

I still see no purpose to modify Wario's default neutral special, regardless of competitive or solo mode play.
I agree on Wario's, and while I think Jiggly has some bad customs, I don't think they're all useless.

And I must say, I like all three cannon variants for Jr, prefer the meteor ejection (though default is amazing), and always take giant mechakoopa when I can.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can probably think of a couple custom special moves that are just not worth it...
  • Super Jump: Move really isn't any better than Super Jump Punch.
  • Chopper Kong: Not really an improvement over Spinning Kong, since horizontal movement is hindered.
  • Quickfire Bow: Quick charge is offset by poor range, making it quite useless as a whole.
  • Warlock Thrust: Increased speed is ruined by dealing a lot less knockback, and has no super armor.
  • Dark Vault: Much worse than Dark Dive, which is quite bad itself.
  • Garlic Breath: Hardly worth using with its inability to grab opponents.
  • Catch & Release: Sacrifices the ability to counter projectiles for an attack that's not very rewarding at all.
  • Spinphony: Has no reward whatsoever.
  • Stomp: Only travels downwards, and takes a while to execute, making it quite predictable to deal with.
There are probably more, but those are probably the most obvious of the bunch.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Heavenly Light is by far the most useful custom move for both Trophy Rush and 100% staff credits in Classic Mode. It also makes First Striker invincibility a breeze in Crazy Orders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom