• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the most iconic moves for current characters that are being disregarded by Smash?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, :ultwario:. I really wish his moveset had more basis in Wario World for Gamecube. I remember playing that game and thinking "Wow, there's a whole Smash moveset right here!" and then the moveset we got used like three moves from it. Though I'd say this isn't so much a case of iconic moves being disregarded, and moreso a case of my preferences lying with Wario World. Though, I think I'd like to make an exception for his piledriver. Absolutely should have been either up or down throw.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, :ultwario:. I really wish his moveset had more basis in Wario World for Gamecube. I remember playing that game and thinking "Wow, there's a whole Smash moveset right here!" and then the moveset we got used like three moves from it. Though I'd say this isn't so much a case of iconic moves being disregarded, and moreso a case of my preferences lying with Wario World. Though, I think I'd like to make an exception for his piledriver. Absolutely should have been either up or down throw.
For some reason I love the idea of Wario using his transformations from the Land games as attacks:
  • Fire Wario being a dash attack
  • Puffy Wario as Up Air
  • Spring Wario for his Up Special
  • Flat Wario as a crouch or down smash

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
For some reason I love the idea of Wario using his transformations from the Land games as attacks:
  • Fire Wario being a dash attack
  • Puffy Wario as Up Air
  • Spring Wario for his Up Special
  • Flat Wario as a crouch or down smash
The Wario Land games are kind of just plain weird when you get down to it. And having them be just a few moves for Wario would also just look kind of off. I think for his transformations to be included they'd need to be the basis of his entire moveset (and there's certainly a lot of material for that). But then you risk overshadowing everything else.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Wario Land games are kind of just plain weird when you get down to it. And having them be just a few moves for Wario would also just look kind of off. I think for his transformations to be included they'd need to be the basis of his entire moveset (and there's certainly a lot of material for that). But then you risk overshadowing everything else.
It's one of those rare cases where a second Wario seems like the best option to show off said moves. Unless, respectively, there's a character in Wario Land capable of being something akin to his moveset clone within his own series. Albeit, if there's a decent option for Wario's current moveset to move to(so far, I can't think of anyone as much of a quirky gross-out esque character as him in WarioWare), that's also one way to help divide them if you don't want two Warios. Though, seeing as how the Americanized Wario is fairly different in personality(much more serious), that actually does somewhat work for a Wario Land variant.

...Though unlike most, I can't think of a legit name. I know there's an actual Dr. Wario, but that's just a stretch to get a moveset in, heh. On the other hand, we've spoken of alternate movesets before, and this is one of those cases it makes actual sense. Not just simply returning a slightly different playstyle either, but an actual legitimate core option that shows how Wario can be quite different depending on what abilities he brings to the table.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Unlike say Link, who is a collection of legitimately different people and could support having ONE echo of the main one and maybe, as Jotari Jotari has been pushing, just one younger semi-clone one, I think Wario absolutely can be generalized to represent both Land and Ware.

Now to be fair, Wario doesn't really fight like at all in Ware, but his Bike is good enough representation of that. Plus he now has his actual dash attack as his dash attack. What he needs now is his Cargo Throw from his actual Wario Land games plus Wario World.

And as goofy as Wario is, I really don't want him to be an incoherent mess of his Land power-downs, leading to...

Canon moves are not "good" in itself. Coherency is way more important in a fighting game specifically. He needs to flow right, and he can't flow right as a slower fighter with an odd projectile that leaves him wide open easily by default.
I just want to express my approval for this statement, especially that most moveset redesigns made by all these entitled "Canondorfs", and not just even for Ganondorf, are incoherent and visually unsynergistic, not even getting into functional design. What works for Mega Man or Villager (and I'd even say that's questionable) doesn't necessarily work for others, especially if it's a more "serious" character.

Aligo

Smash Ace
I agree with that. Steve would be another good example of sticking close to source material not benefiting the overall product.

Top Bottom