• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the most agonizing/amazing experiences you've ever had in Pokémon?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I know everybody's had these at some point; what are the times in the games where you just want to scream in fury and which ones make you leap for joy?

Personally, I was pretty damn excited when I got a Shiny Bulbasaur on my first try during my second X playthrough, but the most agonizing experience I've had is trying to catch goddamn Zygarde, who keeps escaping my Pokéballs AND NOW I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN SADEEFREAFFCECDRVAFVFVeA
....Ehm. Sorry about that. :p

Anyways, what are the best and worst experiences you've ever had in Pokémon?

Best: Getting my first shiny, a :072:, in Pokemon Emerald. I still have it.

Worst: Beating Gardenia in Diamond, then DS battery runs out and last time I had saved was after beating Roark. Had to start from Oreburgh again...

kylexv

Smash Master
Worst: In Pearl (This was my first game, mind you.), I triggered a battle against Uxie. Kept throwing balls at it and none of them caught. Because I ran out and forgot to save, I had to use my Master Ball :cry:.

Best: Catching Palkia in Pearl first try in a Quick Ball at full HP.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Worst: Whitney when I was first getting into Pokémon was a disaster. If I knew about that Machop trade earlier I would have done much better.
Best: Catching so many legendries in Omega Ruby without having to use the Master Ball. I actually felt like I truly caught those things for once instead of having to use the Master Ball.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Worst: Accidentally erasing my save data in Gold when I was two Pokemon away from Pokedex completion and had a shiny Sneasel is up there and possibly the victor. But it was also pretty frustrating when I encountered a shiny Bellsprout in Y, which would've been cool except that I'd found only three shinies previously (one of which being the aforementioned now-deleted Sneasel) and one of them was a Bellsprout, and I don't even like Bellsprout that much. I also just recently found out that the internal battery in my Crystal is dead and I lost my completed save file on there, even though I just replaced the battery only a few years ago, and that was pretty frustrating as well.

Best: Completing the dex in Y was super satisfying, just because I never thought I'd be able to put the effort in to do something like that again after I did it in Diamond. As far as a more defined single moment goes, there was my recent replays of Crystal and of HeartGold, and my defeat of Red in both, in which I decided I was way too lazy to grind and tried really hard to beat him with way underleveled Pokemon. In Crystal I managed to beat him with high 40s/low 50s Pokemon due to some great luck, and in HeartGold I PP-stalled his Lapras to death. (Honestly, the best part of that was not having to grind to beat the game, particularly since those games have no good places to grind post-E4.)

Last edited:

dragonexpert

Smash Rookie
Worst: Running out of Poke Balls when a rare Pokemon appeared.

Best: I have a couple really good ones but I have to say being asked to judge the US Pokemon VGC Nationals back in 2010, 2011, and 2012 has to trump all. While I did have a lot of experience judging, it is a very rare treat to get to judge such a high level event. I did get solicited to be Worlds Staff once, however, because I wasn't going to get lodging expenses or airfare I declined the opportunity due to how expensive the trip would've been.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Best: Lucking out and through complete hax, beating Jasmine's Lv.35 Steelix with a Lv.15 Togepi in Pokemon Gold.

Worst: Trying to beat my friend's Pokemon Emerald at the Elite Four, and Glacia landing EVERY SINGLE use of Sheer Cold and completely party-wiping me.

Rick Sure

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrJigglypuff1996
Best: When I beat Cynthia in Platinum because it was all luck the way I won. Her Garchomp missed Dragon Rush, my Kangaskhan used Ice Punch and just barely didn't kill it. THEN THAT SUCKA'S FROZEN! And she was out of Full Restores.
Worst: Encountering a shiny Mewtwo only for me never to catch it because it wouldn't get in the ball and then, Struggle

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Worst: not too sure. My gut is telling me how it took me 3 months of attempting to catch Giratina in Platinum before I resorted to using a Master Ball. Anna was not smiling upon me during that time I guess. Either that or that the time after I got a Mega Pidgeot in AS Wonderlocke I decided to test its Hyper Beam on a Lanturn. It went as well as you would expect.

Best: I was acting as a "gym leader" in a tournament and there was one person with a Volcarona. It was KO ing my Pokémon until I sent out my Gogoat. It tanked a Fiery Dance and OHKOed it with Rock Slide. In another battle, it did the same thing to a Mega Charizard X using Flare Blitz!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Worst: Not catching Groudon in the original Ruby and saving my game. Back when I first had Ruby, I didn't know that you couldn't battle legendaries again, so I just wanted to get through the game without spending too much time lowering its health (I didn't have the master ball in the magma hideout). When I found out I couldn't battle it again, it was too late.

Best: Catching Groudon in Omega Ruby with a premier ball. After my failure in the original Ruby version, I wanted to actually catch Groudon this time around and make it special by using nothing but premier balls. It took a long time but I finally managed to do it.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
When i legitimately completed National Dex in HG then my mom took my ds since she thought i stole it and now i cant play pokemon without thinking about it. Also started a Nuzlocke after i transferred all my good Pokes up to White 2 and got a shiny Totodile before that happened too. Hoping to get back into HG again. just restarted it today.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Worst:
Going through half if not most of Pokemon X, only to go to Lysandre and not be able to win.
So to save myself the trouble, I went through the entire game again.

Best:
Catching a Shiny Groudon in Emerald. I don't know why the RNG gods decided to stop messing with me at that moment, but it happened.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Best: getting pokérus on the actual first route of Pokémon White, back when pokérus wasn't just spread through wonder trade and when I didn't know anyone (except maybe 1 kid) who also had Black/White

Worst: The struggle for mega flygon The about 4 times of my life in Pokémon where the game cartridge came loose when I hadn't saved for a long time. If you want a specific time, the hour session while riding a train where I went through 2 towns and the large mountainous pass between them in Pokémon White. That was not fun to re-do.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Worst: Looking for a Feebas (and failing to evolve one because of sheen). :mad088:

Best: Evolving a Feebas into Milotic. In which it got to the point where it became one of my best Pokemon in DPP by far, handily defeating most of the Elite Four in my first match against them.:088:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I am the worst Pokemon player ever

In Emerald (the only Pokemon game besides Leaf Green I had) I did the following

1. Failed to catch all the Legendaries
2. Made my Starter (Swampert) an HM slave
3. Had a generally poor team except for a few outliers (Swampert, Minun, Walrein, Wigglytuff, Mawile, Flygon)
4. Constant fails at Battle Frontier
5. I had a level 74 Minun

Last edited:

カワシさん

Best: Completing the Hoenn Pokedex in Omega Ruby. It was so satisfying, and it took a LOT of extensive internet reasearch (yes I cheated, I failed Pikachu).

Worst: In Omega Ruby, I've tried several times to catch Ho-Oh, all with failure. I either run out of Pokeballs or Ho-Oh activates Struggle. Just, ugh..

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Best: Completing the National Dex in Pokémon X took me soooooo long but it was a great feeling. xD I'm way too lazy to do that in Alpha Sapphire though. Also, hatching a shiny Riolu and evolving it to a shiny Lucario. <3

Worst: Back in Leaf Green when I first got the game, I played for hours straight without saving and when I was faced against the Zapdos in the Power Plant, I had no Poké Balls left except my Master Ball so I ended up using it. After I finally beat the Elite Four and post-game, I encountered the wild Entei and cried... At the time I didn't really know about abilities/moves that trap the Pokémon so they can't escape either. xD

Another event that I had that today could be considered both agonizing and amazing. I traded my extra Thundurus for a lv. 86 male Shiny Greninja with a hidden ability. Then, later today I got another, lv. 93 female Shiny Greninja without HA but with a Life Orb, and I traded a Gliscor for it.

Why it could be considered agonizing? Because I had traded a legendary for the first one, only to get a second, higher-leveled one with a lv. 25 Gliscor few hours later. But I still don't regret it, as the first one had a hidden ability and now I can try Masuda Method with them.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Agonizing experience that could have become extremely agonizing:

So a few months ago, I pulled out my old copy of Diamond, because if you catch 999 Pokémon and transfer them to My Pokémon Ranch (a WiiWare storage application for D&P), you get a Mew. I didn't get that far due to school and only got about 50.

Yesterday I wanted to continue doing, as I'm trying to complete the Pokédex, but I misplaced my Diamond since then, and it's probably lost forever (one does not simply lose a DS cartridge and find it in this vast place we call Earth).

But yesterday I pulled out my Platinum, because I checked Bulbapedia and it said Ranch was compatible with that too. So I spent an hour or two getting 100 Bidoof and Starly combined. Then today I was about to go back to get 100 more (I planned to stick to a 100-per-day schedule), then something in my gut told me to check that Bulbapedia page for My Pokémon Ranch again...

Much to my surprise, I found this:
image.jpg

Only in Japan...

On one hand, I'm thankful that I didn't find this out when I already got hundreds of Pokémon in Platinum.

On the other hand, I'm pissed that Nintendo was stupid and didn't release this in other regions (WHY!?), I'm pissed that I can't get my Mew, and I'm pissed that I wasted 2 hours yesterday.

Now I'm contemplating what to do to get a legit Mew.
Should I get a new copy of Diamond? Then I'll have to beat it and get 999 Pokémon.
Should I just wait until another Mew event? That could potentially be several years.

Meh.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
I lost Emerald, Platinum, Heart Gold, and White. Now the boxes are just sitting on my shelf... mocking me :I

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
My mom accidentally thrown away my DSi with Black 2 in it.

I was so close to beating the champion and she won't buy me a new DSi and Black 2.

I wasted my money on SSB64 and an N64 controller. Why?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Two agonizing experiences.

One, my Silver battery ran out about 8 years ago. With 10 lvl 100s that I never thought to transfer over to my Stadium 2. The good thing is that it forced me to restart the game and go through the wonderful experience of beating it again, the bad thing is that I lost 10 lvl 100s (which if you remember Gen 1 and 2 leveling, lvl 100s were a feat).

Two, on my first Ruby playthrough (right when it came out), I tried to get a shiny Rayquaza for two weeks straight via the "restart system until you get the desired outcome" method. I had already used my master ball on Groundon (because I was 6 in 2003), which seemed like a good idea until I actually got in the fight with a beautiful shiny Rayquaza and it killed itself out of confusion (because Outrage). I haven't ever used a master ball on a plotline legendary since then.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Best: Completing the national Pokedex in Pokemon Y.

Worst: Trying to catch Regice in Alpha Sapphire.

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Two agonizing experiences.

One, my Silver battery ran out about 8 years ago. With 10 lvl 100s that I never thought to transfer over to my Stadium 2. The good thing is that it forced me to restart the game and go through the wonderful experience of beating it again, the bad thing is that I lost 10 lvl 100s (which if you remember Gen 1 and 2 leveling, lvl 100s were a feat).

Two, on my first Ruby playthrough (right when it came out), I tried to get a shiny Rayquaza for two weeks straight via the "restart system until you get the desired outcome" method. I had already used my master ball on Groundon (because I was 6 in 2003), which seemed like a good idea until I actually got in the fight with a beautiful shiny Rayquaza and it killed itself out of confusion (because Outrage). I haven't ever used a master ball on a plotline legendary since then.
Don't worry. In Pearl I used my Master Ball on a Floatzel. (I already had one, too)
I was very ******** back then.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Don't worry. In Pearl I used my Master Ball on a Floatzel. (I already had one, too)
I was very ******** back then.
Lol, oh master ball experiences. In diamond I used mine on a girafarig. I never even used that girafarig but I still thought it was the right decision for quite a while

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Lol, oh master ball experiences. In diamond I used mine on a girafarig. I never even used that girafarig but I still thought it was the right decision for quite a while
Only used the Floatzel to breed with my other Floatzel. Sad.

I had another amazing experience today: I wanted to trade a Turtwig from my Omega Ruby to my Y, but since I had only one 3DS, I had to use GTS. So, I put a Wurmple to GTS and asked for a Turtwig. When I got to the GTS in OR, I couldn't find the Wurmple. I switched back to Y, went to GTS, and someone had traded me a Shiny female HA Turtwig... for a Wurmple! :crazy:

Last edited:

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
My mom accidentally thrown away my DSi with Black 2 in it.

I was so close to beating the champion and she won't buy me a new DSi and Black 2.

I wasted my money on SSB64 and an N64 controller. Why?
Well, it turns out the DSi wasn't thrown out.

I'll just switch this to being stupid back then and giving my sister my first shiny back when I didn't know shinies were special.

I was a special kind of stupid.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Best: Beating Cynthia in Pokemon Platinum with a super under-leveled Gastrodon in a Nuzlocke. Either that, or completing the Nat Dex in White.

Worst: Seeing all the X/Y spoilers imaginable when it was released.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Agonizing:
Finding out I'm not very good at competitive :/. I really want to be but it feels like trying to push a brick wall to 1300 on Pokemon Showdown.

Also losing to Mega Sableye.....again and again and AGAIN in monotype. I had to quit monotype for awhile after that.

Best experiences: Completely surpassing my irl rival over the years.

Finding and catching my first shiny (Numel).

The feels I got from Explorers of Sky/Time/Darkness. I've never gotten feels like that from any game before that. It was amazing.

Last edited:

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Agonizing:
  • The fact I can't handle having any Pokemon (even Legendaries) in anything other than a standard Pokeball
  • Being a dumb scatterbrained kid and leaving my Pokemon Sapphire + Target Red Game Boy Advance on elementary school lunch table (funny enough, I met the boy who found that in middle school, he admitted to selling it at Game Crazy)
  • Round 2 Prime Cup: Master Ball of Pokemon Stadium 2 with rentals (Actually, everything Round 2 was agonizing with rentals)
  • catching a Chansey in the Safari Zone
Best:
  • Finding Pokemon Yellow + GBC under my pillow after losing my first tooth
  • Finding 'M in Pokemon Red before knowing about the glitch and getting infinite Pokeballs
  • Being dead tired while IV breeding Eevees in X, then being in temporary denial when a shiny hatched (I thought I was just that tired)
  • Hatching a female shiny Piplup when I was only breeding for a female
  • First playthrough of Pokemon Colosseum
  • Completing my Mono-Bug run of Heart Gold. That was fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of my best moments has just happened this morning.

Remember Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness ?
Remember also its final boss with their team composed only of Shadow Pokémon, with 3 of them being legendaries ?

Well, I succeeded the ultimate feat of beating them by capturing all of their Shadow Pokémon only with Poké Balls in one battle.
(I lost my first battle against them though, after my Pokémon team get exhausted capturing XD001 with Poké Balls only too.)

And that on an agonizing GCN which often gives error messages !

And I absolutely wanted to tell it to some people, so here goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had another event which is both amazing and agonizing. I was playing FireRed with my phone's emulator in school (emulator because I don't think actual handheld consoles are allowed in my school), when I found a Shiny Magnemite (caught with a Master Ball, didn't have any other Poke Balls). But the agonizing part is, it was on emulator. I'd love to transfer it to actual game, but the methods are so complicated (and it's not even guaranteed that it'll work) that I don't think it's worth it. I guess Shiny Magnemite has to stay on emulator.... :(

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Just caught the god of all pokemon in my Blaze Black 2 nuzlocke on the very first route. :seuss:

CassandraZD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groosinator
3DS FC
5429-9033-2238
For me, it's always incredibly agonizing when you go into a route and it's just too small or there's not enough in it. A good example of this is just about every route in BW/BW2 and XY. All the routes in these games are painfully short and awfully barren. Many routes are simply just roads, and tall grass is a rarity. They all feel uninspired and bland and they're no fun to explore. I hate it.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Best experience: I encountered my first shiny in Pokemon Sapphire; Kyogre.

Worst experience: It used Body Slam on my Sharpedo and died due to Rough Skin. :c:c:c:c:c:c

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Best: Suprisingly didn't lose any Pokemon during a Soul Silver nuzlocke run despite it being among the hardest games in the series imo. And the best part is, I did it all the way to Red.

Worst: Suprisingly losing a lot of Pokemon(Including my MVP Stoutland!) during a Pokemon Black nuzlocke despite it being the easiest in the series.

Another agonizing and amazing experiences, from Wonder Trade:

Agonizing: Few days ago, I got my first shiny from Wonder Trade... which turned out to be a hacked Infernape.

Amazing: Today, I got another shiny from Wonder Trade: A shiny lv. 100 Gigalith, that appears to be legit. Ironically, I traded a Boldore when I got it.

EDIT: Got another shiny, a Seviper, from Wonder Trade.

EDIT: Again, a Murkrow, but this one most likely isn't legit, as it was caught in OR/AS, yet it's in a Moon Ball.

Last edited:
Top Bottom