• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the mechanics of Falco's Shine?

oodnetnin

Smash Cadet
1) Is there a speed and/or damage multiplier for reflected projectiles?
2) Does the reflector reflect on both sides very early (before it actually leaves his body)? (Or does it start out away from his body, I can't tell from the videos.)
3) Wouldn't this be good in it's own way for spiking compared to Fox? I mean you don't have to risk getting hit, Falco has range, Fox doesn't.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
1) Looking for answer as well.
2) No idea
3) Falco shine has a lot more lag time so using it off the edge is super risky, if possible. As for edgeguard spiking, that's if they don't sweetspot the ledge first. I don't think the stun time is as long as fox's, and the kb is definitely not a far, so even if it hits, they can recover back still. (Maybe stealling jumps?)

Ryan-K

Smash Master
1) Is there a speed and/or damage multiplier for reflected projectiles?
2) Does the reflector reflect on both sides very early (before it actually leaves his body)? (Or does it start out away from his body, I can't tell from the videos.)
3) Wouldn't this be good in it's own way for spiking compared to Fox? I mean you don't have to risk getting hit, Falco has range, Fox doesn't.
1) I think there is a damage multiplier but I am not sure.

2) He takes it out in front of him, and kicks it out, and as it is returning and putting it away, he can reflect even right before he puts it back. It doesn't cover his back.

3) It takes really long to do in the air and it doesn't really knockback in the air, it's more of a stun and light push. It's good for edgeguarding ike though as it seems to be the only move that safely hits him out of his up b and it sets up for an edgehog.

Zeyeth

Smash Cadet
Using Falco's shine in the air doesn't exactly seem practical since you won't be able to stall like Wolf or Fox and it doesn't spike or anything like that (at least not to my knowledge.) More than likely, if you're in the air, you'll think of better things to do other than shine with Falco.

Needless to say, I'm really gonna miss using that shine dair combo. T_T

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Is Falco's shine still hit you upward like in Melee? Otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of edgeguarding since you would go up, giving you a chance at edgegrabbing or a second up B.

Tsunami157

Smash Journeyman
Nah ...just straight horizontal knockback ;)
Not very much mind you, but it could get the job done.

I think it rocks as a disruptor though. I just love nailing an overzealous opponent with it when they go aggro. Also kinda nice as a mixup after you jab.

Ex. (jab jab shine)

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Dthrow into shine works well to rack up some damage and you can follow it with a SHed phantasm, which due to low lag may lead into more stuff.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
What? It hits it's still a good move what the hell are you talking about.
good move? :$ no it's really not, lol. Just got done playing brawl yesterday and... falco's shine isn't that good, i didn't try like, shining someone as they're recovering, to see if i could shine spike, but the ONLY time i saw it useful, was right in the beginning of the match, me vs. wolf, we both jumped and i threw my shine at him... that's it :X it's pretty lame on the floor, it doesn't have enough knock back at all. So when you throw it at him, and it hits, while your still in your laggy frames, he is already able to move again.

Long story short: i think falco is still good, but just remember that he's NOT melee's falco, the shine DOES NOT send you up.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
good move? :$ no it's really not, lol. Just got done playing brawl yesterday and... falco's shine isn't that good, i didn't try like, shining someone as they're recovering, to see if i could shine spike, but the ONLY time i saw it useful, was right in the beginning of the match, me vs. wolf, we both jumped and i threw my shine at him... that's it :X it's pretty lame on the floor, it doesn't have enough knock back at all. So when you throw it at him, and it hits, while your still in your laggy frames, he is already able to move again.

Long story short: i think falco is still good, but just remember that he's NOT melee's falco, the shine DOES NOT send you up.
His shine is different but you can still do good **** with it how is it bad.

It is a disjointed hitbox that goes out from him and forces the opponent into TRIP a majority of the time, which is a slow animation which easily allows you to react in time and can set up ****. If they trip and either do an attack or stand up you can either shine again or fsmash. If they roll away you can shine. If they roll towards you you can smash or go for the dthrow chaingrab or whatever.

I don't think it's as great as shine spiking as alot of people think in fact the best edgeguard use i found for it was getting ike out of his up b or forward b just to interrupt him and edgehog.

Just because it isn't melee's shine doesn't mean it's bad in fact I think melee shine in Brawl would suck considering the floatiness and lack of stun in this game.

You say he is different from melee falco but your negative reaction to his shine says otherwise especially since reflectors are pretty important in this game when people play like dip****s and camp. (I am only saying dip**** instead of gay because I know how high and mighty some people get about that >_>)

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Using Falco's shine in the air doesn't exactly seem practical since you won't be able to stall like Wolf or Fox and it doesn't spike or anything like that (at least not to my knowledge.) More than likely, if you're in the air, you'll think of better things to do other than shine with Falco.

Needless to say, I'm really gonna miss using that shine dair combo. T_T
Wolf's shine doesn't stall.

Question: can you slightly direct the trajectory of falco's shine up or down? (the same way you can slightly direct some characters' smashes)

ThreeX

Smash Lord
His shine is different but you can still do good **** with it how is it bad.

It is a disjointed hitbox that goes out from him and forces the opponent into TRIP a majority of the time, which is a slow animation which easily allows you to react in time and can set up ****. If they trip and either do an attack or stand up you can either shine again or fsmash. If they roll away you can shine. If they roll towards you you can smash or go for the dthrow chaingrab or whatever.

I don't think it's as great as shine spiking as alot of people think in fact the best edgeguard use i found for it was getting ike out of his up b or forward b just to interrupt him and edgehog.

Just because it isn't melee's shine doesn't mean it's bad in fact I think melee shine in Brawl would suck considering the floatiness and lack of stun in this game.

You say he is different from melee falco but your negative reaction to his shine says otherwise especially since reflectors are pretty important in this game when people play like dip****s and camp. (I am only saying dip**** instead of gay because I know how high and mighty some people get about that >_>)
idk :$ i guess your right, when i tried doing things with his shine, it just didn't seem to do much, and i didn't have much time to play, only played acouple matches as falco. =\ idk, but yea, i know what your talkin about, how his melee shine would be bad in brawl.

Anyways, do you know if falco's shine spikes or not? cause like i said before, i didn't even attempt it :X

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It does kind of, I mean it has the same trajectory as fox's but the knockback is alot lower so it won't kill outright a majority of the time but it sets up for kills or edgeguards.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
if only it had as much knockback as foxes.. that would be so sick to catch like, another falco, or fox out of their illusion/phantasm with a thrown shine xD actually quite flashy too.

Nuff' said, falco's a pimp, plus ***** fox, idc. :]

Jun.

Smash Lord
falco's shine will stop all annoying diddy kong players in their tracks. If they spam bananas at you, not only will it reflect the banana back at the rushing diddy, i'm pretty sure that the banana will also become yours.

the reflector is also perfect for use against people who are aggressively attacking you and you need some space and time to setup for something. since its disjointed, it can be used at someone who is rushing at you for a grab or a dash attack then you can setup for anything while they are recovering from their slip or stun.

shine can also be used after an shl at mid/close range for the same effect as above since laser has no lag upon landing once again.

time will tell for other uses

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
If you hit someone towards the point where it stops going out anymore, they'll trip. Any closer, just slight stun. It doesn't hurt coming back to you, but still reflects. There's way to much lag to use it as just as a attack. No joke. >_<

It can shine spike, but it's harder to do then Fox's. If you stay on the edge and do it, they won't die, and there's too much lag for you to grab the edge in time. I think the only way to use it effectively as a spkie is to jump out with it. Thing is, you need to jump and shine. If you just jump out and shine, you'll die.

If you jump out, then do a jump shine, it works. But then the shine curves, so it's harder to hit at the edge of the shine.

Practice Practice guys!!! ^_^

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
If you hit someone towards the point where it stops going out anymore, they'll trip. Any closer, just slight stun.
Nice Info there for tripping. So it isn't by chance and by when it hits. Good. There can be use for it!

Added to the "shiny" thread. (can't people use my thread for questions("all things shiny"). It's not like there's so many posts in this subforum that you need to make a new topic about every small bit about the shine to have people see it. Don't fear of losing your creditability.

Top Bottom