• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are the diffferences between Docto Mario and Mario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeYo

Smash Rookie
doc's moves are abit slower but only by a few frames, to me it doesnt matter because his power, KO potential, and pills ( not to mention he wears black :) )GREATLY outway his few frames of slower attack speed.

Doc is just better, plus hes my secondary and trust me hes much cooler
does his cape still lag in the pal version though...i thought that was only in the NTSC version.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Don't really know but isn't Mario's upsmash stronger than Doc's?
And Doc have a diffferent sexkick. It's weak in the start but gets stronger.
Mario's downB is a meteor and has more hits, and the first hit in Doc's does not stun(like the cape). Doc's dair doesn't have a landing-hit like Mario's. Doc can taunt-cancel.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
Mario and Doc's U smash do the same amount of knockback and damage. Doc's sex kick is better. Mario and Doc's Tornado are both bad as attacks.

FOB

Smash Ace
Mario and Doc's U smash do the same amount of knockback and damage. Doc's sex kick is better. Mario and Doc's Tornado are both bad as attacks.
Doc's sex kick is better? are you serious?? Since doc's gets stronger over time, it sorta deplinishes the point of sex kick. I still use it ( a lot actually), but I know that mario's is much better.

mario madman

Smash Cadet
..the main differnces are that marios fireballs are weaker than the pillz and dr marios slower but has a slight advantage in close range but in longrange dighting since hes slower hes at a disandvantage now that the only important ones now plz quit asking cuz if you dont know the difference you should not use him and DIE!!

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
These r the differences, Marios fireballs r slower Dr. Mario Pills r faster cuz u can shoot up to 2. Dr.Mario's cape is longer by .5, his bair is better cuz it sends them farther away while marios sends them more up. And finally dr.marios up+b is higher by 1.5. Done, peace.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mario has slightly less lag (only a couple of frames), better recovery, and overall more reach

doc has more KO power (a lot more KO power), better juggles, and overall stronger

doc's bair and uair are weaker and have less knockback than mario's, but are much better for juggling

doc's fair is a kill move while mario's is a combo starter

doc's pill bounces higher than mario's

doc's cape has longer reach and can go under ledges while mario's can cover his entire body

doc's up smash has a sweetspot while mario's doesn't, but it makes it better than mario's that it can be used a couple of times in a row on heavyweights and fast fallers

doc's sex kick is a better edgegaurded than mario's sex kick, but mario's sex kick is better

and doc is overall cooler than mario (pills > fireballs)

marthbeatsroy

Smash Cadet
I tend to pick Dr. Mario for two reasons that make them different from the original mario

1 I tend to do fighter stance in every knockout; A bad habit. Nonetheless, Dr. Mario is short and cool, while mario takes too long.

2 when you kill someone, I don't know. it's kinda stupid, but I like to think of the beep that a person makes when they die in a hospital

marthsword

Smash Ace
I pick Dr. Mario because Mario is too overrated in Melee.
What are you talking about? Doc is more commonly used.

All you mario haters are forgetting something. What is a HUGE part of smash? Combos.
Mario simply combos much better than Doc.
Mario has much better recovery.
Mario's cape completely stops knockback
Mario is faster
Mario has a better uair
Mario has better set ups
Mario has meteors
Mario has a better nair IMO
Mario has less start up lag
Mario has less ending lag
Mario has 2 frames less on L Cancels
Mario has a faster rapid A
Mario's F smash has more range

So I have proved that Doc isn't better in every way.

meh.

Smash Rookie
it's pretty blatant, isn't it.

(throws on captain obvious hat)

mario is lighter and thus more nimble. not really nimble in a pichu-sense, but much more nimble than doc nonetheless.

and fire. mario has fire.

but doc is probably 100000 times better (biased?) because he's 10000 times stronger. okay, maybe not really. but i still like him better. and he's much less floaty.

he cancels things when you least expect it and his taunt doesn't take twenty minutes to load.

and dr. mario has a phd.

omgitsfootstool

Smash Rookie
Dude no offence but you sound stupid saying that, Marios cape is shorter and wider, it covers the width of his whole body, Doc's isnt as wide but it comes out longer than Marios. Make sure you know what your taking about before posting anything. Ya hear
marios cape is longer and dm's is wider

marthbeatsroy

Smash Cadet
I noticed also that Dr. Mario's smash forward attack is shorter in range than mario, probably cause the diameter of Dr. Mario's undecided and Mario's kinda plain.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Doc is not better than Mario!!!! Mario is not better than Doc!!!! I personaly use Mario, but that doesn't make him better. They are both equal, it just depends on your skills and playing style.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Nevermind!! My other post didn't show up for some reason, so I thought that I had forgotten to actually click the post button. Sorry!!

Chaotix_0

Smash Apprentice
This discussion has so many little arguments on it already...

zomg i m all liek wowz0r, i wana play 2 lol!!!!1!!1!2

But seriously, If you practice day and night and live as Mario, then start only playing DR. Mario, you will have like a 2 day period of adjusting to tiny differences then be the exact same player. There are a lot of tiny and very specific differences between DR. Mario and Mario, but when all is said and done, they are the closest clones in the entire game.

red stone

Smash Ace
ok. who's better? currently it's dr. mario. however reg. mario used to be higher in the tiers.

who should you use? it's up to you. dr. mario can kill people better with ko moves but mario has better combos.

who's easier to use? dr. mario is easier to use because you don't have to learn combos or learn to sweetspot the f-smash. at higher levels of play, it's a coin flip on who wins.

who's cooler? mario is cooler because he can walljump, up b and wall jump, has a psuedo jump with the cape, has flashier looking combos, and looks like a super hero.

who's uncooler? dr. mario because his pills are annoying, he's a horrible doctor because he's causing injuries instead of healing them, and he has no PHIRE!!!

MuBa

Smash Lord
Who needs PHIRE when he has PILLS. I find attacking with drugs than fire is much more amusing. Especially when people yell "GOD THOSE ****ING PILLS I HATE THEM!"

It always makes my day ^_^

And for the cape situation.

Doc's cape is HORIZONTALLY LONGER and it STAYS OUT LONGER.

Mario's cape is VERTICALLY TALLER and it COMES OUT FASTER.

End of discussion...

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I feel I need to point out that Doc's Bair and Uair are actually weaker and have less knockback. The reasons that Doc's Bair is better for edgeguarding is just the larger hitbox and the fact it sends them downward while mario's sends them upwards.

Doc does have definite advantages, such as in the realms of KO power, caping sweetspotters, and a more spammable projectile that leads to better setups than Mario's

I personally greatly prefer mario though, and here is why...

-His recovery doesn't completely suck. The cape aids greatly in getting back to the stage and fireballs work wonderfully at preventing solid edgeguarding.

-Mario has better combos and better setups for them. (Utilt, Fair, etc.) I personally prefer comboing for great damage than solitary hits.

- I don't like to projectile spam.

- The F-smash range. Seriously, it's not as hard to sweetspot as some people are suggesting; in fact, the sweetspot area is quite large in comparison to many other sweetspots in the game. Also, the added range makes it a useful tool in edgeguarding.

- As I mentioned before, Mario's Uair and Bair are more powerful. Just by a few percent but any little difference matters when those are part of your most-used attacks (... with mario anyway)

-Mario's green and brown costume has PURPLE BOOTS

In the end though I would have to say that Doc is certainly easier to use due to his KO power, while mario takes a little more dedication since he is reliant on his sexy combos to rack up damage. Both are very equal in overall potential; it just depends on the player

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Theres a lot of good Doc-players, but not many known Mario-players. But if you were talking about if they had the same skill-lvl, Doc would also win.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
There's no such thing as players of the same skill level. One is always gonna be better than the other.

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
i think docs projectiles along with aerials and grab combos are almost even with mario but i just think docs got more power and combo opportunities

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No question, Doc's are better. The trajectory is perfect for setting up combos and KOing. They stun and do more dmg as well. They're just better.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
No question, Doc's are better. The trajectory is perfect for setting up combos and KOing. They stun and do more dmg as well. They're just better.
Actually, fireballs and pills give the same amount of stun; it is just the pill's more vertical trajectory that allows you to catch up and do a follow-up hit on the opponent.

I'm not trying to say the fireball is better or even equal, I'm just pointing that out.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
I believe docs pills are far better then marios fireballs because of the trajectory but also docs pillsdo more damage...

Quick question:
Do docs pills cause more lag if shielded then marios fireballs do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom