• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What animations would you like to see in Project M?

Boiko

:drshrug:
Ness' Bair should retain all of the properties it has now, but he should swing his bat backwards instead. Never understood why devs of all smash games gave him a lil kick.

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet
I wish there was a better visual cue that :lucario: has an Aura Charge.

I really like how the blue flames on his hands grew more visible the more he takes damage in vBrawl, can we use blue flames to indicate an aura charge?
In 3.6 He flashes whenever he gets a charge of aura. Quite handy in the middle of a fight.

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
I'd like to see these animations improved somehow:
Roy's f-tilt
Pit's and Lucario's dash (Not run, dash. Their 3.6 dash dances don't really look that good imo.)

DualX

Smash Apprentice
I love this thread idea. I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned Bowser getting a Smash 4 like run animation though, or would that be too risky?

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I love this thread idea. I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned Bowser getting a Smash 4 like run animation though, or would that be too risky?
Might be too risky, they don't wanna copy too much from Smash 4 and Bowers more hunched over in PM so the Smash 4 run wouldn't make much sense

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
1. I would hate to see Bowser's running animation change for one.
2. Can anyone say skeletal electrocution like in Smash 64? It may take a lot of work but it would be the best salute to smash 64 ever.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
1. It would take away a unique aspect of his movement. No one has a run animation like it. Why make everyone the same?
2. His current run animation is boss to say the least. It makes a person feel like a train is coming and he pretty much is one.
3. If I wanted to play Smash4 Bowser maybe I would play Smash4. PM isn't Smash4 I think that's why many of us like it.
4. I can't get enough of his run in general its intimidating and priceless to see I get butterflies every time I see it.
5. A Smash4-esque running animation would just be a huge turn off to me like it was when I saw it in Smash4.
6. Most importantly because Melee/Brawl lol

I guess that's a few points. I could make more I suppose like the fact that his dash attack would have to be changed too etc. But I will leave it at that. I just dislike the idea with a burning passion.

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I get you and to each their own but I like his dash attack too. No one can sway my opinion on this one.

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet
Any chance you add an afterimage effect to Samus' dash attack or anything immediately following a dash, as a tribute to the speed booster upgrade? Also, given how many characters have arcs behind their swings, could Roy get his set of aerials augmented with some sort of fire effect?

Celestis

Smash Ace
Any chance you add an afterimage effect to Samus' dash attack or anything immediately following a dash, as a tribute to the speed booster upgrade?
That would be cool to see.

I would like to see DK's idle animation from DKC when he pounds his chest and calls. Or like a special taunt. I never understood why it was not default in smash games to begin with. His current one just does not cut it x]

WarpingStar

Smash Rookie
Falco's Up Tilt and Fair animations should be reverted to their Brawl counterparts IMO.

Ness' Bair should retain all of the properties it has now, but he should swing his bat backwards instead. Never understood why devs of all smash games gave him a lil kick.
Also I support this.

Last edited:

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Falco's Up Tilt and Fair animations should be reverted to their Brawl counterparts IMO.
Agreed. In support of decloning characters as much as possible, Falco is about as close to Fox as Ganon was to Captain Falcon in Melee. Perhaps the hitboxes could be similar or close enough to not throw off long time fans of the character.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Lmao not about as close, Falco is an exact visual clone of Fox in Melee. At least Ganon had had a different fair and run animation in Melee

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Anyways I'm all aboard with giving Falco different animations(especially after seeing the Street Fighter 5 trailer for Ken lol). So what do you guys think of giving Bowser his punch from Bowsers inside Story as an F Smash? It was an idea I saw on the tier list spec thread suggested by GP & B

Last edited:

DualX

Smash Apprentice
What's the need for that change? Also, do you have any gif's to showcase the animation?

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
They're talking about how Bowser and other fatties need to be buffed in tier spec thread and one of Bowsers problem is that his F smash sux, slow as hell and not much range to it so the punch was suggested as an improvement I guess. Don't have a gif but here's a quick video

DualX

Smash Apprentice
They're talking about how Bowser and other fatties need to be buffed in tier spec thread and one of Bowsers problem is that his F smash sux, slow as hell and not much range to it so the punch was suggested as an improvement I guess.
The big guys make up for the lack of speed with powerful hits. Which is probably why Bowser's headbutt doesn't have the best range, but will kill very very early. If you've seen a good Bowser being played, you would understand how good he really is.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
The big guys make up for the lack of speed with powerful hits. Which is probably why Bowser's headbutt doesn't have the best range, but will kill very very early. If you've seen a good Bowser being played, you would understand how good he really is.
That's supposed to be the case but tbh the lighter smaller characters hit just as hard if not harder than big characters and Bowsers f smash got nerfed in 3.6, it's not nearly as strong anymore and 30 frames of start up is way too slow to hit any competent players

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
If Yoshi hold his Up-B, crosshairs will show up like this.
Why though? So the opponent knows exactly where Yoshi is going to toss his egg so they can more easily avoid it? I mean obviously the Yoshi player already knows where the egg is going to land depending on how long he/she held down the B button and what direction they were holding/tilting it.

suddenZenith

Smash Rookie

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
I think the tail wag gives the run a puppy like quality - either toning down the wag or have him alternating between left and right arms during run would make it seem more bowser like for me.

This is a WIP animation from a year back. Maybe SDoom could reference this as a run animation?

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Please don't miss SilentDoom's "Animation Donation Drive", I'm sure it's gonna be great:

I would also like to introduce a new topic. What about get-up attacks? Sure it's not the first thing we generally look at, but some feel very lazy (Falcon, Ganondorf and Samus share the same Rising Spin Kick, and it doesn't even make sense for one of them).

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is the thread for this, but could Mario's up tilt a coin effect, and Mario's Up Smash the sound effect from the original Super Mario Bros when something other than a coin comes out of a brick?

It would also be nice if more of Samus' moves were affected by whether she was in Fire or Ice Mode. Down Air could have a trail (or a new Down Air for fire mode, with Ice Mode retaining the current one). Bombs could explode differently too, and maybe even boost ball or charge beam could be affected. This might require moveset changes and subsequent balancing.

Also I think Captain Falcon's Forward Throw and up throw look too similar. Could Up Throw's animation be replaced with his up smash animation from Smash 64? Back Throw could have a fire effect and the "yeah" sound effect from his smash 64 forward smash, and of course, gentleman can have electricity.

Same goes for Marth, Roy and Mr Game and Watch's throws, although I'm not sure whether . Mr Game and Watch's up throw could be the tropical fish from his Brawl N-Air. If he could get a new taunt to replace one of his forward or up taunts, that would be good too.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
How dare you merely think about changing G&W throws? It's a wonderful DI trick.

I don't know if Samus needs new tools with the Ice/Fire Modes, but she could benefit from flashier throws (I'd love a 3-shots back throw similar to Fox or Falco). Mario is not really exciting visually for the moment, so I agree with you for the Up-tilt and would be done for a 1-up jingle if all hits of the Up-B are connected. Moreover I saw a neat idea on Reddit: the doc could have viruses instead of coins.

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
At very least samus' Down Air and the 2nd hit of her neutral combo resemble her Up Smash and Forward Tilt in Ice mode (being cannon swings), so they could have ice effects when she's in ice mode, and nothing when she's in fire mode, and be functionally identical.

Top Bottom