• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What animations would you like to see in Project M?

themaziest

Smash Cadet
I know there is already a thread for "PM Arts" but I'd like to specifically talk about the animations because it's a big part of PM's appeal since 3.5 and I think there will always be room for improvement in future versions of the game. That being said, this is NOT a request thread. If someone from the PMDT is inspired by some popular suggestions, then fine, but we're mostly here to discuss our personal tastes, that's it. Animations are a big part of a character in Smash, and it's really nice to see dedication in this field to set apart PM from its origins.

Now that the thread is somewhat justified, let's begin:

:bowser2:
-Half the community is complaining about his running animation. Sure it's weird, and I would'nt be sad if it was changed for a more traditional way of running, but in the same time it's kind of fun and eccentric. Bowser is not known to be a runner anyway, and in Project M he's a wild beast more than ever. So keep the grounded glide or change it : this is only a matter of taste.

:luigi2:
-I think the flutter jump from Super Mario Bros 2 is iconic, fun, and should be considered as an option for Weegee's style.

:ganondorf:
-The revamp is real. So what can we say? His up smash still feels very weird to me. It's maybe too acrobatic for an old man like him (no offense to Ganon mains ), it'd be better for him to have something more noble like a wizard uppercut full of purple glow which of course would keep the current properties. The dash attack could appear more brutal, but I don't know how it could be done. Other than that, Ganondorf is pretty cool. The new stuff finally gives him his true personality.

:toonlink:
-I just wanted to say thanks to the animators for Toon Link. He feels really great with this strange melting pot of Smash 64 Link, Young Link and Brawl Tink. I love the way he's animated right now.

:rob:
-This one is a tough one... ROB is one of my favorite character gameplay-wise but I'm saddened by his animations. He's a robot, we get it. But unfortunately, his way of moving is very bland and uninspired. The chains lack fluidity, or rather clearness. While Smash 4 reworked most of it, I don't think the fresh work is feeling good here either, because ROB seems too human, which is also really weird. PM animators should find a middle ground: more expressivity, more personality, while exorcising the overhaul souless state of the character. He can be goofy, but not this way. And I'd love a new GFX for his Super Robot Beam (and new SFX as well, you could dip into Custom Robo for that), like a purple or green or rainbow or whatever laser blast to really distinguish it from the normal load. Seriously, ROB sometimes looks stupid, but it's secretly one of the funniest character ever. What a shame! /myopiniondontkillme

:ness2:
-Some people don't like the way he does his dair, but I'm not one of them. Well, I have no complaints whatsoever with my main, but I could see some refinement for his side smash : just give him the famous SMAAash!! effect when he successfully does a sweetspoted side smash. Hype inducing, indeed, but I'm not sure if it's feasable in the first place. Another note not related to his animations, but why not give his PK Flash a high stun property on GROUNDED opponents (similar to Mewtwo's disable) instead of high knockback?

:lucas:
-Lucas has been greatly improved from Brawl to Project M. I don't have a lot of valuable suggestions. Maybe we could color his thunder in yellow to match Mother 3, even if it's not really animation related. The best thing I heard to improve Lucas aesthetically was to give him Guitar SFX on tilts. The new dance taunt is hilarious by the way, what a great allusion to this wonderful game!

:marth:
-The melee's direction for our favorite lord is an interesting stance. While I know that the Shield Breaker move is a heated subject in Marth's community (well, I exaggerate a little, this is not so much debated), I do think that the move could visually benefit from a more personal strike. The Melee one provides obviously a better range, but it's far less imaginative on screen. I saw suggestions about a Brawl's Moving Shield Breaker with A+B... and why not? More tools are always better, especially for such familiar veterans.

:roymelee:
-So much PH1R3. I love Roy. Who doesn't? Maybe his d-tilt (as a key move for combos) could generate more strength using body motion. And like Marth, I think Roy could have a better animation for his B-move, based on the first part of his critical hit (basically, he could rotate the sword while charging and do a diagonal slash on release). Neater taunts, maybe?

:wario:
-PM Wario is the truth. Seriously, he needed an overhaul in all aspects and now he's way better here than everywhere else. Good job!

:dk2:
-The roll as a dash attack was clever, it's no accident that we find the same idea used in Smash 4. The current animations fit well in the "boxer/wrestler-philosophy" of DK. And I know it's not only animation related, but it would be cool to give him an aerial down-b, be it a slap or a ground pound.

:falco:
-Sorry to say this but PMDT was absolutely right in reverting most of his animations to his melee counterpart. There are just better and don't feel forced for the sake of separating him from fox. Of course, I'd love the animators to go on custom things for Falco, but only if they feel that they can give natural movements. Tweaking melee's animations would be a smart start.

:pit:
-This guy needs some love. I can't put my finger on what's wrong exactly. Look at his up tilt, isn't it weird to you? Pit is certainly hard to animate, considering the wings, the dual swords and his greek habit so I understand that the results aren't consistent. I'd like if the animators could find a way to give him a more natural motion, and more expressivity as well.
PM 3.6!!

:sonic:
-He was on the same boat than pit in brawl but now he has been flesh out with much more fitting moves and fluidity. Plus, they took inspiration of Sonic games in doing it!

:lucario:
-I freakin' love all SF references hidden in his moveset, it's really clever. F-tilt (backhand) is a nice one as well.

_____

Obviously, I did'nt speak about every character in the game, most of the cast being already near to perfect or because I lack of knowledge and I don't want to say mindless stuff. Please share here your suggestions. What animations would you like to see for your main? Are you opposed to major changes for a particular character? Do you think that new animations are the way to go for decloning aesthetically similar characters?

Hope it was readable. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I always loved the animation for Ganon's Brawl Up Smash. I Wish they could implement that style again without losing the effectiveness of his current one. Just felt satisfying to put a giant boot up there butt x]. Much like his forward tilt is now!
Also would help further separate him as his own man.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
but why not give his PK Flash a high stun property on GROUNDED opponents (similar to Mewtwo's disable) instead of high knockback? Not like this move was useful for anything else than edgeguarding anyway...
Gross. You clearly aren't using the move properly if you think it's useless on ground.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I second Luigi's jump. I've wanted that since Brawl, but never thought it would fit the gameplay.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Useless is a bit strong, but I do think this is a situational move on most opponents (sort of a punisher). That being said, the viability of a move is absolutely not the topic here.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'm a large supporter of Lucas getting musical notes on his tilts/jabs.

Personally don't think this needs to be a thread. The Arts thread shifts topic from Alts to Stages to Animations consistently. Had you posted the OP there, the Animation Discussion probably would've lasted for an amount of pages that would likely amount to the eventual lifespan of this thread.

But that's just me. :)

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Mr. Game & Watch should get a fake Judge taunt that shows a 0. Maybe also reduce the endlag to make a it feint, kinda like a Ryu fake fireball thing.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Had you posted the OP there, the Animation Discussion probably would've lasted for an amount of pages
It's funny because I did long ago ; but the conversation didn't last more than a few messages unfortunately. I suppose that this kind of talk is not as exciting as new costumes or balance tweaks. While you think this thread is not needed, and I understand how you feel about that, I also think that if someone wants to express something on topic, he can share it here without being afraid of interrupting a very long debate on Ivysaur's costume.

And most of all, I noticed that there are many "unneeded" threads just on the first page of the General Discussion. If a mod wants to lock mine, I'm perfectly fine with it but until then I would rather talk about animations in PM! Thanks.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Removing Squirtle's taunt where he just goes into shell and spins, it's really lame

Something where he just hardcore bms and laughs would be great

@SiLeNtDo0m pls

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
For Mario, I wouldn't mind if they brought back his Donkey Kong Death animation, but have a Smash taunt that makes it the Super Mario Bros death, so you phase through the stage and SD if you input it. :)

Wario: Could always use some of his moves from Wario World, such as carrying people over his head, Piledriving people for a Down Throw, and that's pretty much it.

Luigi: I agree with the Luigi SMB2 flutter jump, but the way I'd like to see it in-game is how they portray it in Super Mario 64 DS, where he does a regular jump, then flutters his way down. I also want his old Super Mario World spring bounce sound effect for his planking taunt. Oh, and bring back his Victory animations from Smash 64!

DK: Needs his actual DK Country Victory animations! I'm talking about his hands shaking over his head followed by the big thumbs up, and the Boom box dance :D I think it'd be cool if he did a gorilla howl for the victory animation where he beats his chest, as a reference to Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

Samus: Her Down tilt could have her pose more similar to her crouching stance from the 2D Metroid games by having her hold her arm cannon when she fires. Her victory animations from Smash 64 were also pretty cool as ****.

I think it'd be badass if Link had a Smash taunt where he does a Mortal Draw from Twilight Princess for his taunt where he puts his sword and shield on his back, but that would probably be too OP.
And if he got the Jump Attack from all the 3D Zelda games, and if his Nair and Bair were ever replaced, I'd like to see them replaced with the Helm Splitter and Back Slice Hidden skills also from TP. And the Jabs were replaced with Ocarina of Time's standard jab combo. And his F-tilt referenced Zelda II by making it a quick stab forward. I really wish Link had more moves that resembled his own game moves.

Bowser: Bowser could always just have running animations similar to SM64 Bowser, and I'd be happy with that. I also think Bowser should have his old Melee Godzilla roar, and maybe his SM64 roars too.

Ganon: Yeah I actually wouldn't mind if his Brawl Up-Smash returned, it'd only make him more original and separate from Captain Falcon.

C. Falcon: Speaking of him.. His Up-Smash should be his Smash 64 Up-Smash, the uppercut, that'd be so hype.

Meta Knight: There's a mod where MK has a Bair that references a move that Galacta Knight has, which I wouldn't mind seeing in game.

Ike: His "Prepare yourself" taunt should be part of his intro animation imo. His replacement animation for that taunt could be the way he points his sword at somebody before he uses Aether in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.

Apart from those, I got nothing.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I also honestly think Jigglypuff and Pikachu should get their own entrance animations; all the other Pokemon do, why do Pika and Puff have to come out of Pokeballs?

ilysm

sleepy
I think giving Captain Falcon his Smash 64 up-smash would be awesome, and I don't even play him. And I'm no dev, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to give Ganon his Brawl up-smash animation with the properties of the PM up-smash? But I don't agree with changing Lucas's thunder to yellow. I'm picturing it being pretty ugly for some reason. Maybe it was the urine comment earlier in the thread. Part of me would like Brawl Falco's fair, considering nobody ever uses his regular fair anyhow, but a bigger and louder part of me reacts to any suggestion of buffing Falco by screaming and brandishing sharp objects.

But my vote, if I could change one thing and one thing only, would go straight to adding a SMAAAAASH graphic (and/or sound???) every time Ness hit a sweetspot fsmash. That would be so. Hype.

EDIT: Actually, a thing just occurred to me. This is so minor but I like the idea. In Smash 4 (and maybe Brawl???), if Ganon does an aerial Flame Choke and it connects, instead of slamming them straight into the ground he kind of...swoops up into the air first? It's like a little flourish. It's super subtle but very flashy and it makes the eventual impact look even more brutal. That would be a cool little addition to an already very, very cool move.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I wish there was a better visual cue that :lucario: has an Aura Charge.

I really like how the blue flames on his hands grew more visible the more he takes damage in vBrawl, can we use blue flames to indicate an aura charge?

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I wish there was a better visual cue that :lucario: has an Aura Charge.

I really like how the blue flames on his hands grew more visible the more he takes damage in vBrawl, can we use blue flames to indicate an aura charge?
^ this would actually be pretty cool, they should also make the flames a lil brighter so they're more visible. After all we don't want people saying they can't tell when they have an aura charge lol

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I think Roy should get proper idle animations. Him momentarily sheathing his sword and raising it triumphantly could be his two idle animations.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think Roy should get proper idle animations. Him momentarily sheathing his sword and raising it triumphantly could be his two idle animations.
He'd need a scabbard to do that lol and according to the PMDT adding Roys scabbard puts him over the file size limit apparently. Which is weird because I've seen scabbard mods for Roy on Brawl vault and they work fine

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but the spiraling torpedo effect when being knocked away was removed from PM, and I never understood why. Watching old melee match ups really made me miss that animation since it was visually pleasing to see your opponent fly off spinning head first rather than just tumbling in PM.

Was this removed because of hit box issues or something? It would be great to hear an answer from someone on the PMDT. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but the spiraling torpedo effect when being knocked away was removed from PM, and I never understood why. Watching old melee match ups really made me miss that animation since it was visually pleasing to see your opponent fly off spinning head first rather than just tumbling in PM.

Was this removed because of hit box issues or something? It would be great to hear an answer from someone on the PMDT. Thanks!
I'm positive that this is still a thing.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670

It's still in the game. It only triggers when hit by a really really heavy attack now for some reason. In older builds of the game the animation was as frequent as in brawl.

Last edited:

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Holy cow you guys are right. I just did some testing and was able to trigger it at high percentage kills with hard hitting moves, and yea it does appear quite seldom. Sorry, I guess you don't really notice it when your opponent or yourself just flies off screen in less than a second lol.

Thanks for clarifying everyone. I really wish it did appear more often like it does in melee/brawl though--I guess that'd be my request =).

Another thing would be with taunts, since we has smash taunts now and taunts which can be held indefinitely, I think we could apply this to more characters in the cast.

Smash taunts could bring back previous brawl taunts which were removed (mario, bowser, diddy, etc.) as some people have mentioned already. With held taunts, some applicable taunts off the top of my head:

-Ivysaur's hand stand
-Sheik's hand stand
-Link/Marth/Ike's sword sheath (pulls back out when button is let go)
-Zelda's ball of fire
-Pit's heavenly levitation
-Peach's dance
-Yoshi's chasing his tail
-Wario's butt shake
-Toon Link's milk chug (keeps drinking until button is let go)
-IC's spinning dance
-Lucas's forehead charge
-G&W's bell (would be be super annoying if the bell kept ringing though..)
-Rob's head and torso spin
-Squirtle's fully withdrawn shell taunt
-Olimar's body twirl
-DDD's spinning belly slap

It'd be probably be too much work to create loops for some of these but it would be awesome if even one of these were included.

Last edited:

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
I maintain that Roy's critical hit taunt should be able to be canceled into a Flare Blade or Ftilt right near the end. Possibly for extra damage.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Holy cow you guys are right. I just did some testing and was able to trigger it at high percentage kills with hard hitting moves, and yea it does appear quite seldom. Sorry, I guess you don't really notice it when your opponent or yourself just flies off screen in less than a second lol.

Thanks for clarifying everyone. I really wish it did appear more often like it does in melee/brawl though--I guess that'd be my request =).

Another thing would be with taunts, since we has smash taunts now and taunts which can be held indefinitely, I think we could apply this to more characters in the cast.

Smash taunts could bring back previous brawl taunts which were removed (mario, bowser, diddy, etc.) as some people have mentioned already. With held taunts, some applicable taunts off the top of my head:

-Ivysaur's hand stand
-Sheik's hand stand
-Link/Marth/Ike's sword sheath (pulls back out when button is let go)
-Zelda's ball of fire
-Pit's heavenly levitation
-Peach's dance
-Yoshi's chasing his tail
-Wario's butt shake
-Toon Link's milk chug (keeps drinking until button is let go)
-IC's spinning dance
-Lucas's forehead charge
-G&W's bell (would be be super annoying if the bell kept ringing though..)
-Rob's head and torso spin
-Squirtle's fully withdrawn shell taunt
-Olimar's body twirl
-DDD's spinning belly slap

It'd be probably be too much work to create loops for some of these but it would be awesome if even one of these were included.
II don't think there should be too many held taunts. It ruins the secret and the individuality.

That said, Yoshi infinitely chasing his tail is something that I need.

doodles

Smash Rookie
I also honestly think Jigglypuff and Pikachu should get their own entrance animations; all the other Pokemon do, why do Pika and Puff have to come out of Pokeballs?
I've never thought of this until now, but it is actually very strange to see Pikachu come out of a pokeball when the mascot was pretty much never put in one. I get that the specific Pikachu in Smash might not particularly be Ash's, but if Nintendo wanted to stir something familiar, Pikachu coming out of a pokeball deflates that.

Wolf: Why on this beautiful Earth does Wolf not have an "I can't let you do that" taunt!?

Akuji the Sniper

Smash Rookie
Incoming wall-of-responses. Sorry, I lurk often but don't post often.

II don't think there should be too many held taunts. It ruins the secret and the individuality.

That said, Yoshi infinitely chasing his tail is something that I need.
If there's anyone who deserves hold taunts it's the "silly" characters such as Wario and G&W. It's odd how these characters don't have anything interesting in the taunt department, and they deserve it (bring in hold taunts AND smash taunts, all in baby). The fake judgement with a 0 that MegaMissingno suggested was a step in the right direction, and holdable butt shake by Wario is practically required. :p

Also taunts would be a good way of referencing items removed from a character's arsenal such as the Wario Bike and Nikita. Wario could jump up, spawn the bike under him, and spin it around similar to Bowser Jr.'s kartspin taunt. Snake could possibly pull it his Nikita out ready to fire but be unable to because he has no ammo, prompting the MGS1 "error" sound (or simply some empty clicks), and a disappointed grunt from Snake. :chuckle:

If only there was a way for characters to have different intros, because Balloon Pikachu and Surfing Pikachu could make great intros. Jiggs is an odd one, got no ideas there.

Wario: Could always use some of his moves from Wario World, such as carrying people over his head, Piledriving people for a Down Throw, and that's pretty much it.

DK: Needs his actual DK Country Victory animations! I'm talking about his hands shaking over his head followed by the big thumbs up, and the Boom box dance :D I think it'd be cool if he did a gorilla howl for the victory animation where he beats his chest, as a reference to Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.
Well, his Forward Throw could be more like Wario World if he threw the person with both hands like in the game. However I see the Piledriver better as an Up Throw similar to ROB (and it means Wario's butt squish stays). Everything you said for DK is perfect!

Input on other previously mentioned stuff in this thread:

-Captain Falcon's Smash 64 uppercut and Ganondorf's Brawl Up Smash should return. It would differentiate them even more and they just felt nicer. Dunno about the comp aspects of such moves returning but they seem like they could be fitted similarly.
-Lucas's thunder becoming yellow seems like a problem because the lighting on some stages might make it hard to see. Maybe if it leaned more towards a dark yellow-orange it could work. Lucas's tilts getting guitar SFX and musical note particles would be rad as heck.
-Any replaced taunt can come back as a smash taunt. Please come back DK death animation Mario :cry:

That's all I got.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Incoming wall-of-responses. Sorry, I lurk often but don't post often.

If there's anyone who deserves hold taunts it's the "silly" characters such as Wario and G&W. It's odd how these characters don't have anything interesting in the taunt department, and they deserve it (bring in hold taunts AND smash taunts, all in baby). The fake judgement with a 0 that MegaMissingno suggested was a step in the right direction, and holdable butt shake by Wario is practically required. :p

Also taunts would be a good way of referencing items removed from a character's arsenal such as the Wario Bike and Nikita. Wario could jump up, spawn the bike under him, and spin it around similar to Bowser Jr.'s kartspin taunt. Snake could possibly pull it his Nikita out ready to fire but be unable to because he has no ammo, prompting the MGS1 "error" sound (or simply some empty clicks), and a disappointed grunt from Snake. :chuckle:

If only there was a way for characters to have different intros, because Balloon Pikachu and Surfing Pikachu could make great intros. Jiggs is an odd one, got no ideas there.

Well, his Forward Throw could be more like Wario World if he threw the person with both hands like in the game. However I see the Piledriver better as an Up Throw similar to ROB (and it means Wario's butt squish stays). Everything you said for DK is perfect!

Input on other previously mentioned stuff in this thread:

-Captain Falcon's Smash 64 uppercut and Ganondorf's Brawl Up Smash should return. It would differentiate them even more and they just felt nicer. Dunno about the comp aspects of such moves returning but they seem like they could be fitted similarly.
-Lucas's thunder becoming yellow seems like a problem because the lighting on some stages might make it hard to see. Maybe if it leaned more towards a dark yellow-orange it could work. Lucas's tilts getting guitar SFX and musical note particles would be rad as heck.
-Any replaced taunt can come back as a smash taunt. Please come back DK death animation Mario :cry:

That's all I got.
You know what? I suppose you bring up some valid arguments.

The more the merrier, you have me convinced.

All that matters is that come 3.6, my favorite protagonist of all time will be able to do the Osohe Dance as a taunt.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Easter Eggs galore.
Like... any taunt button happening during anything does something.
ANIMATIONS EVERYWHERE

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Jump Attack and Backflip roll would be cool for Link.
For Samus, her running animation from Smash 4 is really cool too, and her dair is more fluid.
Wario's shoulder tackle should be more exaggerated like in Wario Land games.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
What do you think of the new animations provided by PM 3.6?

I especially like the little touches on Pit and Lucario who are a lot more fluid than before, but I also saw some complaints about the new special taunts being "not well animated". While it's true that there is room for improvement, I think there is really no need to be so nitpicky with something made for fun and barely seen in game.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Pits charging forward smash looks really awkward now, but otherwise he looks great. That goes double for Lucario, too.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Ivy's new dash attack looks and feels great!

Overall, this was a "beauty patch" where characters got touched up on and have had nice little details added to their attacks such as attack trails, new effects, new sounds, etc. It's all looks even cleaner now and I hope it only improves in the next patch.

Top Bottom