• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about an anime/cartoon/comic of Super Smash Bros.?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Seriously! Now the series is popular in half of the countries in the world, I think it's unavoidable that someone is planning a trasposition of any genre. And maybe not just one.
And I bet I'm not the only person in this forum who had thought of this at least once.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
That is a good motivation to make a series. Many people following the Subspace Emissary storyline might wonder what the characters would have said if they talked.
The risk is that japanese producers might come out with dialogues that the american anime adaptors don't like and so they will substitute them with silly kidlish dialogues.
Sample:

Japanese:"I must be careful! That thing is so sharped it could cut me in half before I have the time to realize!"

American:"What a huge knife! I'm almost crapping in my pants for the fear!"

Assumed, obviously, that the rest of the anime is good, which is already a deal.
Sadly, the quality of an anime is no more a restrain for it to be produced and spreaded in the world.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
Japanese:"I must be careful! That thing is so sharped it could cut me in half before I have the time to realize!"

American:"What a huge knife! I'm almost crapping in my pants for the fear!"
I laughed. Because I knew it was true.

But then I cried. Because I knew it was true.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
A well done Smash comic book would be really cool. I think it'd be difficult to gather all the licenses and get it all together, but if some group managed to do it and create a halfway interesting storyline--it could be a pretty big success. Unfortunately, the Nintendo character-based shows that have come out thus far have been pretty terrible. Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Mario Bros. --all of these shows based on popular Nintendo characters have been just plain bad, and that does not give me hope for a SSB anime/comicbook/cartoon show.

I would have high hopes for a Smash Bros. cereal though... I can only imagine how sugar loaded it would be. It would be like Fruit flavored Smash Bros symbols with character shaped marshmallows. On the box it might say: for an extra rush use AMP energy drink instead of milk!!

majora_787

Smash Hero
A well done Smash comic book would be really cool. I think it'd be difficult to gather all the licenses and get it all together, but if some group managed to do it and create a halfway interesting storyline--it could be a pretty big success. Unfortunately, the Nintendo character-based shows that have come out thus far have been pretty terrible. Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Mario Bros. --all of these shows based on popular Nintendo characters have been just plain bad, and that does not give me hope for a SSB anime/comicbook/cartoon show.

I would have high hopes for a Smash Bros. cereal though... I can only imagine how sugar loaded it would be. It would be like Fruit flavored Smash Bros symbols with character shaped marshmallows. On the box it might say: for an extra rush use AMP energy drink instead of milk!!
add *approved by chuck norris* and you might be on to somethin thar XD

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
When I predicted they were doing an anime off Sonic Adventure 2 it happened the same. Fewest people took me seriously, the motivations were many, from "there already have been three Sonic cartoons and one anime movie" to "no one would produce an anime with a bat with bouncing brests". But then they did it!
About the big amount of licenses to handle, I have to remember you that "Captain N, The Games Master" had plus or minus the same amount.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Opplease!!!
What's wrong with doujinshi? It would at least work, not like anime and stuff. Oh and I'm pretty sure there are lots of talented artists out there, and they are probably drawing them right now (-> that would be awesome, but not unexpected, seeing as how much of a big franchise the series is)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
What's wrong with doujinshi? It would at least work, not like anime and stuff. Oh and I'm pretty sure there are lots of talented artists out there, and they are probably drawing them right now (-> that would be awesome, but not unexpected, seeing as how much of a big franchise the series is)
Awn! Come on! Not only doujinshi are barely legal but they often turn the characters upside down, sometimes changing their sexual orientation and, occasionally, even their gender, if the appearance allows it.
A doujinshi could sound a beautiful thing if it features sexual acts you always fantasized about. But what if instead it features sexual acts you don't like?
Close your eyes, think of the char of Super Smash Bros. Brawl you love most, think of the char of Super Smash Bros. Brawl you hate most, imagine them having sex, think that in a doujinshi it could happen and then tell me if you still think doujinshi are always a good think.

i love the idea, but half the characters (i.e. mario, link, kirby, olimar, samus) barely (if ever) speak in their games. So the voice acting could be a problem unless the people that make the show all of the sudden make them talk.
Well, Fox speak a lot (besides, he has almost the same voice of the italian dubber of the Pilot nr. 1 of Voltes V). But yes, dubbing Mario is a deal, and dubbing Link even more. But I don't think it's totally impossible. If you ask me Link and Fox could have the same dubber with different tones.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
What's a doujinshi?

Awn! Come on! Not only doujinshi are barely legal but they often turn the characters upside down, sometimes changing their sexual orientation and, occasionally, even their gender, if the appearance allows it.
A doujinshi could sound a beautiful thing if it features sexual acts you always fantasized about. But what if instead it features sexual acts you don't like?
Close your eyes, think of the char of Super Smash Bros. Brawl you love most, think of the char of Super Smash Bros. Brawl you hate most, imagine them having sex, think that in a doujinshi it could happen and then tell me if you still think doujinshi are always a good think.
Wait, I don't want to know.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
F-ZERO anime isn't bad

Agent 47

Smash Apprentice
smash bros. anime would be interesting, but in a lot of the original franchises, the chars act as silent protagonists.

GoldA

Smash Rookie
Well if smash became an anime the opening might look like this
however, if it were more kid oriented it would be more like this.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Every Nintendo character has canonically talked. Mario says stuff all of the time (but if you need proof, see the ending of Super Mario Galaxy), Link said "I found an item" in Zelda II and "Come on!" in Wind Waker, Samus narrated the intro of Super Metroid and was quite chatty in Metroid Fusion, DK spoke at the end of DKC2 (or was it 3?), Kirby explains his copy abilities in the Pause screen... even Mr. Game & Watch had a few words to say in Game and Watch Gallery 3 (or 4?). Of course, then there's the non-canon things like the Super Mario Bros. cartoon, the Zelda CD-i trilogy, etc etc.

Thus, making the characters talk, while going against the spirit of Nintendo's silent protagonists, it wouldn't be unprecedented. I would still prefer Link to be silent, which could have some gags associated with it (everyone knows what he means without him actually saying anything), and Kirby would be much cuter if he was based on the Kirby anime (only saying "Poyo" and variations, but that might make him seem like a Pokemon).

As for the feasibility, I think that a Smash Bros. adaptation would work best as a Japanese manga or American comic book. I'm not sure why, but it seems that there would be less licensing issues, as there's no music or voice actors.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I was actually considering doing an animated piece on Smash in my spare time but this term of school has me bogged down more than I expected :ohwell:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
F-ZERO anime isn't bad
Anime of Smash could be hit or miss
though sakurai did a good job on kirby anime...
Infact! Besides, if the anime is made by the company who produced Sonic-X, it would come out at least decent, cuz they are good in dealing with chars with different head-body proportions.
The silence of the protagonists is not a serious problem. Link has voice, you can hear him when he attacks or he is hurt. And somehow he doeas talk even if you don't hear him. You can guess that by the reaction of the other chars.
There are other problems to deal with. For example the fact of the two Links, or the size of the chars, expecially when it's up to Olimar, who should be smaller than the crown of Peach.
If they can solve those problems they can easyly solve the voice one (they have just to find good dubbers).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well if smash became an anime the opening might look like this
however, if it were more kid oriented it would be more like this.
You do realize that second video is actually a parody ending for a lolita anime, right?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Every Nintendo character has canonically talked. Mario says stuff all of the time (but if you need proof, see the ending of Super Mario Galaxy), Link said "I found an item" in Zelda II and "Come on!" in Wind Waker, Samus narrated the intro of Super Metroid and was quite chatty in Metroid Fusion, DK spoke at the end of DKC2 (or was it 3?), Kirby explains his copy abilities in the Pause screen... even Mr. Game & Watch had a few words to say in Game and Watch Gallery 3 (or 4?). Of course, then there's the non-canon things like the Super Mario Bros. cartoon, the Zelda CD-i trilogy, etc etc.

Thus, making the characters talk, while going against the spirit of Nintendo's silent protagonists, it wouldn't be unprecedented. I would still prefer Link to be silent, which could have some gags associated with it (everyone knows what he means without him actually saying anything), and Kirby would be much cuter if he was based on the Kirby anime (only saying "Poyo" and variations, but that might make him seem like a Pokemon).

As for the feasibility, I think that a Smash Bros. adaptation would work best as a Japanese manga or American comic book. I'm not sure why, but it seems that there would be less licensing issues, as there's no music or voice actors.
Link's "Come on!" was more of a "Kahbaa!" in Wind Waker.

Actually, Mr. G&W did talk in Game % Watch Gallery 4. I didn't think it was such a big deal at the time (I was fairly young, yet to buy Melee), but his voice has since changed to *bleep.*

Nah, an anime, comic or whatever would be a bad idea.

Live Action Show FTW!!!

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I would be a bit scared about an anime. However, I think a comic would be a lot better, because it would be a little easier to make it so the character's do not have to talk.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How much time did the producers of "Captain N The Games Master" employ to get the rights of all those Nes chars in the same show? Not care how badly they used them (Megaman was the worst rendered char. Almost unrecognizable).

Top Bottom