• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What a Smash Bros. Reboot could be like

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
One more week until Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is unleashed upon the world, and already it feels like the Ultimate culmination of Smash Bros. history. However, many people began to wonder about what comes next afterwards. Sakurai has mentioned that it'd be hard, if not impossible to top Ultimate after this. Once you do "Everyone is Here", you can't go much further than that. Some people suggested they roll with Ultimate forever by just updating and porting it to future consoles, but that's unrealistic TBH. But another idea floated around is a complete reboot of the Smash Bros. series. radically changing what came before it into something completely unique. I think the idea has a lot of potential, so I think it'd be fun to speculate and design what a theoretical Smash reboot could be like.

Aesthetics:
First, let's discuss how the game should look and feel. Recent Smash Bros. games have had the feel of an epic anime battle between gaming worlds with more realistic models and grandiose music. For this new game, let's move away from all that, and bring the series back to the funky, stylized comic-book aesthetic of the original game, polished up and tweaked for modern hardware. It'd feel similar to Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 in terms of sound, visuals, and color-scheme. Let's keep the visual effects of Ultimate as they help add climactic flair to gameplay, but also add new effects for different elements as well which I'll get into later.

Roster:
Next, the character roster. Since we now have every Smash fighter ever in Ultimate, it'd be appropriate for a reboot to downsize in character selection. Let's trim the fat of the current roster meaning, no more fluff characters (Pirana Plant, Villager), little to no echoes (Dark Pit, Lucina), and definitely no more third party characters (Snake, Mega Man). Let's bring Smash back to its roots as a cross-over of Nintendo all-stars, meaning first party characters only. Let's also make sure each IP gets equal representation with no more than 3 reps in the base roster (meaning no more 7 goddamn Fire Emblem characters). So with that in mind, I present to you the rebooted roster
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Gannon
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Ridley
  • Kirby
  • Meta Knight
  • Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Inkling
  • Octoling
  • Marth
  • Edleguard
  • Celica
  • Pikachu
  • Lucario
  • Pokemon Trainer
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • ROB
  • Captain Falcon
  • Jody Summers
  • Pit
  • Palutena
  • Any New IP Nintendo produces in between that time
Sure, DLC can be added for each series or new one, but this is what the roster should be out-of-the-box.
Gameplay:
Here's where things get interesting. If you're going to reboot a series, completely reworking how it plays would be a no-brainier. Let's get this out of the way first, Smash reboot will still be a percentage-based, ring-out fighter with a 2-button control scheme based on directional inputs. That much hasn't changed, it's worked for 20 years now so no point in changing that. It's everything surrounding that premise that's getting an overhaul.

First, let's talk physics. We'll keep the scaling launch speeds from Ultimate as it helps cut-down wait times to allow for more fighting per-match. But instead of behaving like balloons, character's fall speeds will be sped up significantly, bring them more in line with traditional fighters. Sure, characters still get launched further the higher the percentage, but they'll now behave more like Tennis balls rather than balloons or rockets like previous games.

Second, move-sets and controls as you know them have will be done away with. It's still 2 buttons, and you still don't need to do quarter-circle motions or other fighting game movements. But how those two are used will be completely different. First, say goodbye to a dedicated button for special moves. Instead, A and B will now be Weak, and Strong attacks respectively. Pressing either one repeatedly executes each character's built-in smart combo, similar to jab combos in past games, except they're longer and more varied in animation. Alternate pressing A and B for longer, more powerful smart combos, and of course, different directions on the stick let you do different directional attacks. Specials are now preformed similar to Smash Attacks, press B in conjunction with flicking the stick in one of four directions to activate a special move. Combining these with your smart-combos and other attacks can allow you to pull off impressive feats on your foes. Smash Attacks are preformed same way as prior games, press A in conjunction with flicking the stick in a direction simulations, as well as hold to charge it up. There's now also aerial Smashes as well. Lastly, throws are now automatic, and only two directions, so now more down/up throws, or pummeling opponents.

Third, is the way supers work. There's no longer a need to break a Smash Ball for a Final Smash attack. Instead, Supers are divided into 3 levels.
  1. Super Smash - Press A and B simultaneously with no directional input to unleash a Super Smash Attack
  2. Ultra Smash - Press A and B simultaneously while pressing forward to unleash an Ultra Smash Attack
  3. Final Smash - Press A and B simultaneously while flicking the stick forward like a Smash Attack to unleash your Final Smash
These are all based on what level your meter is at.

Finally, items. You can now store up to one item in your pocket for later use. This allows for deeper item usage strategy and more intuitive use of items in combos. Press Shield + Down to store and item you acquired (there's no spot dodging in this game, just rolls and air dashes), and Shield + Down again to pull it out.

Stages and Modes:
Not too much will change here, but there are a few things to mention. First, let's keep the selection flow of Ultimate, that is, game mode/rules > stage selection > character selection. Stage layout and design is more important in Smash than other fighters so this is a welcome change. Keep the stage hazard toggle as well. What should also change is limiting the amount of hazards and gimmick stages in the selection, keep it small, and keep it balanced. As for modes, this time Stock should be the default mode in Smash as it suits the gameplay premise better, but KO-fest, Stamina, Coin Battle, and a new mode called Key Holder, where the player must hold on to a key for as long as possible while avoiding getting hit, will also be available.

Instead of a massive adventure mode, let's have the Single Player mode be a mix of Classic Mode and Adventure. Each character has their own short story to follow, with their own path of matches and final boss, complete with cutscenes and for some characters, Full voice acting.

Conclusion:
There's a lot of angles a Smash reboot can take, so it's hard to say where the series will go after Ultimate. Still, I think what I've presented here should be a decent base for what one could look like.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Considering F-Zero is a dead franchise I don't see it getting another rep tbh. I'd also expect :ultsonic: would be the only third party to stay for obvious reasons.

Also 0/10 due to lack of :ultkrool:

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Idk...I do not think a reboot, no matter how hard they try or how good they try to make it, will be received well. Smash Ultimate is going to leave MASSIVE shoes to fill...and that is why I say do not reboot, but keep adding to ultimate. keep adding characters, items, stages, music. Just keep building, but obviously slow things down after a wave or 2 of DLC. Maybe one new character every 6 months to a year. Same with stages, items and music. Maybe a new mode every couple of years. This game has the potential to live for a VERY VERY long time.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I stopped reading when I saw K.Rool got cut but Jody f***** Summers was added. lol I'm out...
Remember, just because a character isn't listed in the base roster, doesn't mean they can't appear as DLC. In the case of King K. Rool, he could be a good DLC candidate.

EDIT: Added K. Rool to the base roster.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah I stopped reading when I saw K.Rool got cut but Jody f***** Summers was added. lol I'm out...
Being K. Rool was supposedly the ballot winner and one of the if not most requested fighter until his inclusion no way would he be cut in the next game. I guarantee it.

Also to the OP if you really think Sakurai is gonna cut :ultkingdedede: you're solely mistaken.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Having a more comic-book style and what you're saying with A and B buttons sounds neat though!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sorry OP, pretty sure this thread exists, and this roster is bullcrap. Do you really think Sakurai is going to cut King Dedede but add Jody Mc****ing Summers, Edelgard, and keep Falcon? Any reasoning at all? This roster makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

A real Smash reboot would have about 1/3 or Ultimate's final roster size (28-30) and feature today's most relevant franchises with 2-4 reps tops and leave no room for joke fighters, clones, or characters whoa ren't relevant. Also, I'd predict only 1-2 third parties to cut licensing issues. Final guesses:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:(Maybe :ultpeach:) (Mario newcomer, probably not though if we get peach)
:ultdk::ultdiddy:(Maybe) :ultkrool:(Maybe)
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Zelda newcomer)
:ultsamus: :ultridley:(Maybe)
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Kirby newcomer)
:ultfox: (Maybe :ultfalco:)
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo: (:ultjigglypuff: or :ultlucario: or both) (Pokemon newcomer, only if we get 5 Mario characters)
:ultness:(maybe)
:ultfalcon: (Maybe)
:ultmarth::ultrobin:(FE newcomer)
:ultpit:(Maybe)
:ultwario: (Maybe)
:ultvillager: (Maybe, if they decide to trash the "non fighter" logic)
:ultshulk: (Maybe, only if Xenoblade is still a big thing by the time it rolls around)
:ultinkling: (Maybe, same logic as Shulk)
:ultolimar: (Maybe, same logic as Shulk/Inkling)
:ultsonic: (Maybe, if they decide to keep third parties)
:ultpacman: (Maybe, same logic as Sonic)

Veggi

Smash Champion
My idea for the next game is that they cut down the roster by a lot but introduce a new feature called "Assist Characters". With assist characters, there are way more characters than ever before but they don't have a full moveset. Each assist character has three special moves and that's it. Before going into a match, each player picks one main character and one assist. Each assist character essentially gives the player 3 extra special moves to work with to replace taunts and can be summoned in a match similar to assists in the Marvel vs Capcom series. Much like in Marvel vs Capcom, they have a certain amount of health and almost all assist characters can be attacked. Once the assist character's health is depleted, they can no longer be summoned until the main character gets KO'd.

Main: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:
Assists: :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdaisy::ultpiranha: Waluigi, Polterpup

Main: :ultyoshi:
Assists: Poochy, Kamek
Main: :ultwario:
Assists: Ashley, Mona, Kat and Ana

Main: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
Assists: Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Rambi, Squawks, Krusha

Main::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
Assists: :ultsheik:, Impa, Skull Kid, Tingle, Midna, Ghirahim

Main: :ultsamus::ultridley:
Assists: :ultdarksamus:, Sylux, Mother Brain

Main: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
Assists: Bandana Dee, Chef Kawazaki, Rick & Kine & Coo, Adeleine & Ribbon, Susie

Main: :ultfox:
Assists: :ultfalco::ultwolf:, Krystal

Main: :ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
Assists: :ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:Flareon & Vaporeon & Jolteon, Dusk Lycanroc

Main: :ultness:
Assists::ultlucas:

Main: :ultfalcon:
Assists: Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow

Main: :ultmarth:
Assists: :ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:, some pegasus rider

Main: :ultpit::ultpalutena:
Assists: :ultdarkpit:, Viridi, Hades, Medusa

Main: :ultolimar:
Assists: Louie? No idea really.

Main: :ultisabelle:
Assists: Tom Nook, Reese & Cyrus, Mr. Resetti, Leif, Kapp'n, K.K. Slider (Villager was removed because imo almost no one would choose him if given the option to choose another AC character)

Main: :ultshulk:
Assists: Rex & Pyra & Mythra, Elma, Riki

Main: :ultinkling:
Assists: Squid Sisters, Off the Hook, Sheldon, DJ Octavio

Main: :ultbayonetta:
Assists: Rodin

Main: :ultsonic:
Assists: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Eggman

Main: :ultmegaman:
Assists: Zero, Bass, Wily

Main: :ultryu:
Assists: :ultken:, Chun-Li, Cammy, Guile

Main: Monster Hunter
Assists: Rathalos, Zinogre, Brachydios

Main: :ultpacman:
Assists: Ms Pac Man, Ghosts

Other Assists:

:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer:, Dillon, Spring Man, Shovel Knight, Isaac, Monster Hunter, Spring Man, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Wonder Red

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Roster:
Next, the character roster. Since we now have every Smash fighter ever in Ultimate, it'd be appropriate for a reboot to downsize in character selection. Let's trim the fat of the current roster meaning, no more fluff characters (Pirana Plant, Villager), little to no echoes (Dark Pit, Lucina), and definitely no more third party characters (Snake, Mega Man). Let's bring Smash back to its roots as a cross-over of Nintendo all-stars, meaning first party characters only. Let's also make sure each IP gets equal representation with no more than 3 reps in the base roster (meaning no more 7 goddamn Fire Emblem characters). So with that in mind, I present to you the rebooted roster
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Gannon
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Ridley
  • Kirby
  • Meta Knight
  • Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Inkling
  • Octoling
  • Marth
  • Edleguard
  • Celica
  • Pikachu
  • Lucario
  • Pokemon Trainer
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • ROB
  • Captain Falcon
  • Jody Summers
  • Pit
  • Palutena
  • Any New IP Nintendo produces in between that time

This would be an awful and unrealistic roster. Sorry I don't touch on the rest of the post which has some other odd choices, but the roster made no sense and got me to even respond.

Missing :ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultvillager:/:ultisabelle:

Bowser is the most iconic Nintendo villain, but he is cut while Ganon, Octoling, and Ridley stay? Three rep cap is silly and you broke it with Pokemon anyway.
King Dedede is Sakurai's iconic villain who is arguably more recognized than MetaKnight.
Olimar has 3 main games, a spin off, and a 4th game coming out. And he gets cut? Makes 0 sense.
Animal Crossing is a huge success, it'd be a weird move to cut out their representation.

Why would we need Zero Suit Samus? She's such a tiny part of Samus. If the roster is reduced, fan service Samus can go easily.
Falco over Wolf? Questionable. You cut the more unique and more plot line driven character for one of Party Member 2-5.
Octoling would require 8 models and 8 new ink colors. Is the work really worth it with a reboot limited roster?
You get rid of Ike, most popular lord, for one that is already fading back to unknown and another that hasn't even had her game out yet? She may flop like Corrin.
How does Pokemon Trainer not break the 3 rep limit? He is 3 in one. Also the Gen 1 bias.
Ribbon Girl would be better as an alt, not sure ARMS made a big enough splash to enter with two characters.
ROB?!?! Why keep him? He's easily one of the biggest flops of a character in Smash. His popularity is probably at like 10 people.
Jody Summers? F-Zero gets a second rep while Bowser or Olimar can't get in?
If the roster is limited this much, I don't see Palutena sticking around either. Wouldn't Little Mac be in the same boat as Pit? So he gets cut while Pit gets a second rep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom