• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the most underrated simple mechanic that people ignore?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
In my opinion it’s teching. I didn’t start teching until I started playing Ultimate and it’s improved my gameplay by a lot. It will prevent you from getting stage spiked at lower percentages, it will make command grabs far less effective, and it’ll stop a lot of follow ups when you get hit and grounded. It’s a really simple concept that can really improve your game. What do you guys think is something important and simple that a lot of people miss?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Pummeling after getting a grab.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Running.

You can win neutral by simply running and baiting someone.
I think people are starting to catch onto the fact the running and walking are good move options and dashing and rolling aren’t the only ways to get around. That’s definitely a good one though
Pummeling after getting a grab.
This. It’s so easy to do and the extra damage can be a difference between a kill or your opponent surviving. It’s free too, you can’t get punished for pummeling

Arthur97

Smash Master
I do lots of pummeling. It just feels so good to do. Unless they're low. Then it may be best to throw, but I often go for one or two anyway. Unless you're using Yoshi. Then just pummel away.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Whatever teching means...i know pressing the shield button to roll back onto the stage after recovering on the ledge is good.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Whatever teching means...i know pressing the shield button to roll back onto the stage after recovering on the ledge is good.
Teaching is hitting the shield within 20 frames before you hit the ground or the wall. Teching on the ground can get you out of a ton of bad situations and kill confirms. It’s really important. The most important use for teching on a wall is when you get stage spiked. Instead of flying all the way to the blast zone you stick against the wall and get jumps to get back on stage easy which saves a stock

Also you can tech command grabs. Take Incineroar’s for example. If you tech into him he can’t follow up on his command grab. It’s also important with Ganon’s so you can roll away and he doesn’t get a free hit on you. Two more uses that can save a stock. It’s really easy to do too and it’ll win you games.

Remember 20 frame window before you hit the a surface. There becomes a point where you can’t tech anymore though when your % is too high

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Teaching is hitting the shield within 20 frames before you hit the ground or the wall. Teching on the ground can get you out of a ton of bad situations and kill confirms. It’s really important. The most important use for teching on a wall is when you get stage spiked. Instead of flying all the way to the blast zone you stick against the wall and get jumps to get back on stage easy which saves a stock

Also you can tech command grabs. Take Incineroar’s for example. If you tech into him he can’t follow up on his command grab. It’s also important with Ganon’s so you can roll away and he doesn’t get a free hit on you. Two more uses that can save a stock. It’s really easy to do too and it’ll win you games.

Remember 20 frame window before you hit the a surface. There becomes a point where you can’t tech anymore though when your % is too high
Wait, you can tech to avoid Alolan Whip?!?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387

Why doesnt tech work after a percentage is too high? I dont remember reading this stuff in-game. I know i read some crazy stuff about your character moving slower if u dodge too much. How many dodges does it take until you move slower?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Wait, you can tech to avoid Alolan Whip?!?
Yeah you just tech into Incineroar and you break out of it and it only does like 5 percent. It’s seriously a life saver and severely hampers his neutral game
Why doesnt tech work after a percentage is too high? I dont remember reading this stuff in-game. I know i read some crazy stuff about your character moving slower if u dodge too much. How many dodges does it take until you move slower?
I’m not sure on the mechanics of that

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If you do a spotdodge/roll more than once, it will slow down your dodging continually up to 6 times. The 6th time and after will be slower until you stop for a bit. After 6 airdodges, your airdodges will not slow down, but will have less invincibility frames, until, again you do some other stuff for a bit for it to recharge.

When you bounce off a wall or floor at low/mid percents, there's a green/blue "bounce animation" that appears around your character. When you get to higher percents and start taking more knockback, this animation will turn red, and that signifies that it's untechable. It's purely based on knockback you receive, so it's not any certain percent for every character. The amount of knockback a move can do and character weight all take part. Honestly this video explains it better than I can because it gives you a visual reference as well.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Teching footstools.

Though in my case, it's spot dodging. I don't spot dodge much because Smash 64 has conditioned me not to.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
If you do a spotdodge/roll more than once, it will slow down your dodging continually up to 6 times. The 6th time and after will be slower until you stop for a bit. After 6 airdodges, your airdodges will not slow down, but will have less invincibility frames, until, again you do some other stuff for a bit for it to recharge.

When you bounce off a wall or floor at low/mid percents, there's a green/blue "bounce animation" that appears around your character. When you get to higher percents and start taking more knockback, this animation will turn red, and that signifies that it's untechable. It's purely based on knockback you receive, so it's not any certain percent for every character. The amount of knockback a move can do and character weight all take part. Honestly this video explains it better than I can because it gives you a visual reference as well.
Well damn. That explains why i get pissed when I KNOW i dodged but still get attacked or ko'ed.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah you just tech into Incineroar and you break out of it and it only does like 5 percent. It’s seriously a life saver and severely hampers his neutral game

I’m not sure on the mechanics of that
I think you're getting it confused with Incineroar botching the attack. If he hits the button too late, you just bounce off, dealing damage to both characters.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Crouching repeatedly is a great way to let people know online that you have human feelings.

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
Dashing instead of rolling.

Lots of newbies roll 6 times to get away from an aggressive opponent, but rolling is slow and easily punishable. The best way to get away from attackers or projectiles is to run and/or jump. Also, there are so many options out of dash that allow you to punish a whiff, whereas a successful roll just puts you back to square one.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Foxtrotting. A lot of characters' foxtrots are significantly faster than their dash. All of the characters below have foxtrots faster than their dashes, so if you main any of them, consider using it to your advantage.
:ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultken::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgnw::ultness::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpit::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultrob::ultrichter::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultryu::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultsnake::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Walking and wavelanding.

The former is type of spacing and repositioning that give you more control at the cost of being at bit slower.

The latter is same with faking your jumps, just with more end-lag and staling your dodges.

Top Bottom