• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WGW's guide to Bowser in Brawl {Attacks added, Glossary developing}

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
thank you rizardo and everyone who has supplied me links. Understand while I visit colleges between my sat prep courses I'll be using my itouch. As soon as I get back on my lap top expect some big improvements including as much percentages info as I can get, and a credits section to thank everyone who has contributed. Even the jerks who have sent me pm's correcting my spelling.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
If at all possible... at first opportunity.
Someone please find out if the Side+B can still grab an opponent through their shield.

And more importantly, from the air, through a grounded opponent's shield.

Thank you for the extra legwork, I appreciate the early information.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It can definitely grab in the air, and in a video where bowser could not recover due to how low he was, he side-b'd a character in mid air, and the move carried him up onto the stage. BROKEN RECOVERY?!@?! Still a grab move, and grab moves negate sheilds. And it can be done in the air.

_clinton

Smash Master
In a stock match, if your both on the last stock you go to Sudden Death

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
It can definitely grab in the air, and in a video where bowser could not recover due to how low he was, he side-b'd a character in mid air, and the move carried him up onto the stage. BROKEN RECOVERY?!@?! Still a grab move, and grab moves negate sheilds. And it can be done in the air.
Thank you so much for the positive feedback, and I have now also seen visual proof of this occurence.
How very wonderful for Aerial Bowsers everywhere.

*sigh* and I remember the days when I was called a scrub for getting in the air with Bowser...

*reminisce*

WarZ

Smash Apprentice
Bowser looks cool in brawl i cant wait to try his new koopa claw

e319

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide, I'll be sure to refer to it when BRAWL COMES OUT MARCH 9! SO CLOSE AND YET SO FAR!

Sairanen

Smash Rookie
about bowser claw, when u use it on a opponent it's not always u who choose witch direction u are going to fly, it's the player whos choose direction first, so going backwards is realy tricky, trust me :p

and when both have 1life left and u do the Claw Suicide, u win, it's not goiing to be sudden

and one more thing, in ssbm u stop when u did the claw now u continues to float forward and that is realy great =)

thats all fo me
Mvh Sarjen

Sairanen

Smash Rookie
about bowser claw, when u use it on a opponent it's not always u who choose witch direction u are going to fly, it's the player whos choose direction first, so going backwards is realy tricky, trust me :p

and when both have 1life left and u do the Claw Suicide, u win, it's not goiing to be sudden

and one more thing, in ssbm u stop when u did the claw now u continues to float forward and that is realy great =)

thats all fo me
Mvh Sarjen

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I have not yet witnessed any escape from the grab.. I'll have basic percentages up Thursday and I'll cover move deterioration and take screen shots of each move to make the experience more illustrated once I have the game.

Sairanen

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to escape the claw suicide at low percentages? (Like sometimes happened with kirby in melee)

it's not possible to eszape, even if u are at 0% =)
i haven't seen it yet and i have played about 100 matchet with bowser and i use the claw verry much :p

Dynamism

Smash Lord

thats all fo me
Mvh Sarjen
So what you're saying is that DI influences the tragectory of Bowser rising? Then again after slamming? That's different. At least sometimes the victim can save themself :chuckle: If they're in the middle of the stage "maybe" haha

And you mention me in the first post. I am honoured, thanks WGW, I do what I can.

And Sai, does Bowser have 0 lag upon landing mid-klaw? And when landing his Nair and he spins, does he damage during that spin animation too or is it just more lag... :ohwell:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It seems the Bowser F-smash has two hits. Is it just me, or is there a lot more knockback if you land both hits as opposed to just landing the last on?

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Bowser is awsome, but I feel like I have to change my fighting style a little bit from Melee to do well. I need to play more to find out lol. I only played a few matches with him so far. I hope to get good with my old Melee main in Brawl.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeah, I sort of feel like he was better in Melee comparatively. I'll be posting percents and so forth over the weekend when I can have more time to just get it all written up.

Entropy

Smash Cadet
If you are hit during your super/heavy armor, you not only do not take stun, but you also DO NOT RECIEVE ANY DAMAGE.
I'm pretty sure that's a bug. I know that you're not supposed to flinch while super armour is active, but you should take damage.

I guess they will (or already have) fixed that in the official release; if not they might fix it with a compulsory downloadable patch.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If I provide people with video can they make them into .gif's or something? I'm done with the write up, and about 2/3's of the way through recording the moves, and I'd like to make some animated .gifs for the guide, and i can make a normal youtube vid too. just looking for anyone experienced with gifs i guess.

Vader Rue

Smash Apprentice
Its probably kind of obvious by now but shouldn't it be added in the description for the F-Smash that it 'can' hit twice now given that the person your hitting is either on you or fairly close to you? And maybe its just me but doesn't the knock back also change depending on what part of the smash you hit with?

What about Gifs do you need like video to Gif converters?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm useless when it comes to anything past basic photoshop/flash.
I guess I need someone to help explain how I can take a video clip and turn it into an animated gif since you can post images but not videos.
I have the updated guide open in a separate tab, it'll all be updated at once.

theTofuG0d

Smash Cadet
well what i do is i take the video, slab it into Super, choose GIF, and shazam....wait no, WOOP!
From there you know what to do like putting it in photobucket and streaming to here.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
If I provide people with video can they make them into .gif's or something? I'm done with the write up, and about 2/3's of the way through recording the moves, and I'd like to make some animated .gifs for the guide, and i can make a normal youtube vid too. just looking for anyone experienced with gifs i guess.
If the video is .AVI (I haven't tried WMV, but I know it won't work for formats like .MKV), I can do it with Adobe Imageready; I can also crop it too if needed.

PM Me if you need it done, and I'll do my best

Also, Photoshop Elements pales in comparison to actual Photoshop; it's more like a trial version of Photoshop IMO.

*Edit* However, I don't have any real places to host .GIF's since imageshack only hosts 1.5MB files. But If you have hosting, that's fine, or I'll just make the .GIFs pretty small and/or lower quality. I know for a fact that I can't convert Youtube movies or anything flash based, however.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm sure Buzz will let me use the Nexus webspace. I think I, for the most part, will be able to figure this out, thanks for the support guys, I hate to keep you waiting.

T-BONE

Smash Rookie
Hi WGWOLVERINE and Gimpyfish, thanks for posting this Bowser guide! I'd like to contribute a few things to the guide, if you don't mind adding them. They are a combination of things I've tried during matches and also things that other players have posted in other threads scattered about. I posted in me14k's/uraj's bowser guide before and then realized that this thread is also stickied and has a ton more views so i figured posting here would be the best place to put information out for the most players to see. If any of this was mentioned previously in the thread, or this is the wrong place to post this stuff, my apologies.

-It seems that control of the lateral movement of the Flying Slam/Koopa Klaw depends on you and your opponent's percentage. The player with the lesser percentage has more influence over the movement. The greater the difference between the two player's percentages, the more influence the player with the lesser percentage has over the movement.

-The match result of a Bowsercide when both players have 1 stock depends on which controller port the two players are using (1>2>3>4). If the Bowser player is plugged into a controller port with a lower number than their opponent, the game will result in a win. Otherwise, sudden death will occur. For example: if the bowser player plugs into controller slot 1, this move is a guaranteed win regardless of which slot the other player has their controller plugged into. Ex2: If the bowser player plugs into controller slot 4, this move is guaranteed to result in sudden death, regardless of which controller slot their opponent is plugged into. If the bowser player uses the bowsercide in sudden death and they are in a higher controller port than their opponent, it will result in a loss for the bowser player.

-You can grab the edge while coming down from the Bowser Bomb (down-B) if you are facing away from the edge. If you do this from the ground and grab the ledge behind you on the way down, it is a fairly safe move with great potential both to kill or edgehog quickly.

-Bowser's Nair reflects Pit's arrows. I don't know whether it can reflect other projectiles because I don't have a wii or the game, but I know it can't reflect Falco's or Wolf's lasers. It would be good to test this extensively to be able to know all the projectiles this works against.

-The f-tilt can cancel out some projectiles, such as samus' missiles, leaving Bowser unharmed. Again, it would be good to test this extensively to be able to know all the projectiles this works against.

-While on the ground the whirling fortress can be used in conjunction with walking/dashing forward as a technique to close ground on Pit if they are shooting arrows at you. The whirling fortress can cancel out arrows, quickly resetting bowser to do something else if used on the ground. If you move forward in between canceling arrows with the WF, you can decrease the distance between you and your opponent while remaining unharmed and saving your shield power. Would also be good to test the grounded whirling fortress extensively to determine any other projectiles this works against.

-There are several practical uses for Bowser's infinite jump. You can use the infin jump to make yourself less predictable when landing. Sometimes your opponent will try to place themselves somewhat close but just out of your reach as you are landing on the stage from your second jump, so they can quickly smash you or rush in and attack. I found that when I used the infin jump instead of just landing my second jump, it left my opponent guessing when I would land and sometimes it would result in them whiffing an attack. So in that way it can keep you moving and mix up your play a little bit to make you less predictable.

-You can use the infin jump to keep yourself mobile and dodge attacks just before setting up perfect positioning for a Pillar of Flame (descending upon your opponent with fire breath angled towards them), Flying Slam/Koopa Klaw, or air attack.

-If you time the infin jump right to hop over projectiles, you can use it to dodge projectiles while moving/getting closer to your opponent.

-If done immediately while rising, air attacks can be done in between starting infin jumps. So, if the player times it correctly they can continually infin jump and attack while mid-jump.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
If this is the same Tbone that was in the agoura hills tourney last saturday, listen to him, hes one of the better bowsers ive seen and he's got balls on his edge guarding (the downb on the stage to a sweetspot was awesome man)

Top Bottom