• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Spirit Zone: Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist Support Thread (#AssistAlliance Camera Objective)

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'm a little busy, so I haven't been able to read through the main or previous posts here yet, but I wanted just wanted to state that I'm a supporter for a Project Zero character for SSB. Admittedly, I've only played one entry (though I'm now interested in trying to track down and play the others... hoping for a compilation on Switch at some point), so naturally my interest towards a particular series character is for Yuri Kozukata.

I only saw a brief bit of the move-set, but what I did see suggested a far better Up B than I thought of. I was thinking along the lines of the shadow tracking feature, but that had the strange image of Yuri walking through the air. The Rising Idea sounds much better. Nice to see I wasn't the only one who thought Mitori could work as a special, though I imagined it as her Forward B (Down B was to change lenses, shifting the function of her B move from Crush to Slow, etc.)

I'll have to give a good read through when I've more time, but I'm glad to see there are supporters of not just Project Zero content in Smash, but support for playable roles as well.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
I'd love to play Fatal Frame, and I would totally be excited if it gets a character in Smash. We don't really have a very serious franchise in Smash yet (the closest we get is Snake and Cloud, but even then both are self-aware about their insanity), so I'd love to get one in in the form of a Fatal Frame character. I'm hoping we get a new game or a port of the Wii U game soon.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hold on mates, I will add all of you to the support list in a bit.

But nonetheless, welcome fellow Fatal Frame supporters.

I'm a little busy, so I haven't been able to read through the main or previous posts here yet, but I wanted just wanted to state that I'm a supporter for a Project Zero character for SSB. Admittedly, I've only played one entry (though I'm now interested in trying to track down and play the others... hoping for a compilation on Switch at some point), so naturally my interest towards a particular series character is for Yuri Kozukata.

I only saw a brief bit of the move-set, but what I did see suggested a far better Up B than I thought of. I was thinking along the lines of the shadow tracking feature, but that had the strange image of Yuri walking through the air. The Rising Idea sounds much better. Nice to see I wasn't the only one who thought Mitori could work as a special, though I imagined it as her Forward B (Down B was to change lenses, shifting the function of her B move from Crush to Slow, etc.)

I'll have to give a good read through when I've more time, but I'm glad to see there are supporters of not just Project Zero content in Smash, but support for playable roles as well.
Honestly your suggestion is not that bad for a recovery either. My idea was more or less thinking relates and how ghost would manhandle (or sprit handle) the protagonist in many ways.

And shadow tracking in some way could be used for something if done right. Or if Mio happens to be the main playable character, crimson butterflies could be used as some form of vanishing technique. Though it would look weird on other characters like Miku or Yuri.

And one again, it's nice for us Fatal Frame games to gather around and talk about the potential a fighter would. It is now Nintendo's flagship horror series and more can be done with it in Smash.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
And shadow tracking in some way could be used for something if done right. Or if Mio happens to be the main playable character, crimson butterflies could be used as some form of vanishing technique. Though it would look weird on other characters like Miku or Yuri.
Shadow tracking and crimson butterflies would both make great taunts. I don't think I'd mind Yuri or Miku taunting with crimson butterfly at all (you're right it'd be weird to see them use it as a move though). Anyone else think it'd be cool for a FF rep to have a damaging taunt? Maybe a ghost appears some distance behind her and she quick turns to look at it and the ghost does like 1-2% damage. I don't think anyone else has a ranged damaging taunt yet. Could be awesome for swagger kills, especially if used to get rid of Ness' PK Thunder while he falls.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Shadow tracking and crimson butterflies would both make great taunts. I don't think I'd mind Yuri or Miku taunting with crimson butterfly at all (you're right it'd be weird to see them use it as a move though). Anyone else think it'd be cool for a FF rep to have a damaging taunt? Maybe a ghost appears some distance behind her and she quick turns to look at it and the ghost does like 1-2% damage. I don't think anyone else has a ranged damaging taunt yet. Could be awesome for swagger kills, especially if used to get rid of Ness' PK Thunder while he falls.
Right, both would make for nice taunts and nods to other games in the series. That way it wouldn't come off as weird for all characters (the alts) doing it.

And a damaging taunt involving a sudden ghost appearance would be quite cool. Not that Luigi needs to be the only character with one. And a perfect nod to one of the many ghost introduction cutscenes in the series. Just the thought of a ghost cancelling out PK Thunder sounds like the perfect troll move for a possible match.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Might as well add this to the OP.

He did a good job with the Yuri icon you asked for.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

This looks good.

Now I will have this as a new signature.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm no Fatal Frame at E3 (with no surprise). I still don't think that will impact the chances. The franchise is somewhat active, and has a legacy on its own. I'm not giving up hope on a new Fatal Frame character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hmmm no Fatal Frame at E3 (with no surprise). I still don't think that will impact the chances. The franchise is somewhat active, and has a legacy on its own. I'm not giving up hope on a new Fatal Frame character.
Honestly, I think that a 6th game is still in the planning phases.

Just that Temco and Nintendo isn't ready with it yet. The Switch is a different beast compared to the Wii U after all.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Too bad Fatal Frame content might be unlikely in Smash because it would really bring some unique elements into the game thematically. Also really like some of the ideas where some moves would be less about the protagonist but more how the spirits would manhandle/carry/toss them. Would be a unique character.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Too bad Fatal Frame content might be unlikely in Smash because it would really bring some unique elements into the game thematically. Also really like some of the ideas where some moves would be less about the protagonist but more how the spirits would manhandle/carry/toss them. Would be a unique character.
That's right, I wanted to make the moveset reflect the series as closely as possible. Hence the ghost cameos and the way they interact with and spook the protagonists. The spirits are an equally big part of the series than just the Camera Obscura.

Though you are right, the odds are quite stacked against them. They would add unique atmosphere to Smash.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
That's right, I wanted to make the moveset reflect the series as closely as possible. Hence the ghost cameos and the way they interact with and spook the protagonists. The spirits are an equally big part of the series than just the Camera Obscura.

Though you are right, the odds are quite stacked against them. They would add unique atmosphere to Smash.
It's sad cause I can already imagine some of the character photos on the website. The obligatory Luigi/FF protagonist photo on Luigi's Mansion stage. And a photo with the pikmin ghosts. Maybe a one of her taking a photo of Ness/Lucas/Jeff in Onett. Or someone like a character from Style Savvy.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Huge support. Even with the limited roster size of Ultimate, I feel like a Fatal Frame character is just a natural fit, especially considering we're due for one soon (it's been a long time since Maiden of the Black Water).

Then there's Bayonetta, which can be best described as a game that would easily offend conservative Christians and feminists everywhere
Sidenote, but actually, Bayonetta is considered a pretty feminist series, as it involves a sexually liberated and powerful woman beating down the patriarchal figures of the Bible.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Huge support. Even with the limited roster size of Ultimate, I feel like a Fatal Frame character is just a natural fit, especially considering we're due for one soon (it's been a long time since Maiden of the Black Water).

Sidenote, but actually, Bayonetta is considered a pretty feminist series, as it involves a sexually liberated and powerful woman beating down the patriarchal figures of the Bible.
Nice. Glad to have another fan like you around

And true. That last part was stretching it since she can actually be something empowering that feminists can like. What you said is a good point.

Though the point on Christians is the same since most of them wouldn't touch Bayonetta with a 15 foot pole.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
When i saw that Simon Belmont trailer i was hoping for a cross over with Fatal Frame before the end of the trailer. Sadly not. Could Luigi turning to a ghost be a hint... Doubt it. Anyway with K Roll and Ridley confirmed, it'll be interesting to see who will take their place as top requests.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
When i saw that Simon Belmont trailer i was hoping for a cross over with Fatal Frame before the end of the trailer. Sadly not. Could Luigi turning to a ghost be a hint... Doubt it. Anyway with K Roll and Ridley confirmed, it'll be interesting to see who will take their place as top requests.
Seeing the dark and spooky setting, that was my first thought as well. Second was the character from Pandora's Tower (Aeron I believe); ultimately I was disappointed by the result. If a Fatal Frame character does get in, having their trailer featuring Luigi was always the more enjoyable and likely idea, but it seems that avenue has been taken.

If we do get a Fatal Frame character, any differing expectations for how a trailer could play out now?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Seeing the dark and spooky setting, that was my first thought as well. Second was the character from Pandora's Tower (Aeron I believe); ultimately I was disappointed by the result. If a Fatal Frame character does get in, having their trailer featuring Luigi was always the more enjoyable and likely idea, but it seems that avenue has been taken.

If we do get a Fatal Frame character, any differing expectations for how a trailer could play out now?
As far as different, I would like at least another group of unlikely characters involved.

Perhaps someone like Ryu knowing that he can't fight his inner demons or Lucario since he can sense of aura of all beings (even Ghost Type Pokemon).

I can see these two working well for a trailer of the two of them fighting off hostile spirits in Hikami Mountain or another iconic location.

Enchess

Smash Lord
That direct gave me hope for a Fatal Frame rep. I mean not having Simon revealed in Oct? Weird lingering ghost Luigi shot? "Spirit" mode everyone keeps talking about? My top two wanted characters (Ridley and K Rool) getting in and a bunch of other things I desperately wanted (Zelda LttP costume, Classic mode classic again, stamina mode as a normal Smash mode, etc)?

I'm not saying it's likely at all, but I just got a gut feeling that it could actually happen. Stars are aligning really well for me. Either one of my remaining top 5 (Isaac,Mio,Saki) is getting announced and making it ultimate for me personally, or im being lulled into a false sense of security and everything is gonna crash down with Goku or Steve announced next.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
With the new mode likely being called spirits and literally everyone getting murdered by the newcomers, I'd be genuinely shocked not to see Yuri make it to Smash. Seems like such a no-brainer at this point...

I'm remaining very hopeful.

Enchess

Smash Lord
With the new mode likely being called spirits and literally everyone getting murdered by the newcomers, I'd be genuinely shocked not to see Yuri make it to Smash. Seems like such a no-brainer at this point...

I'm remaining very hopeful.
I wouldn't be shocked, but we need more people like you considering the very real possibility. Why would they not reveal Spirits with Simon unless the had someone else? Either a massive missed opportunity for theming (not impossible) or Fatal Frame.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
I wouldn't be shocked, but we need more people like you considering the very real possibility. Why would they not reveal Spirits with Simon unless the had someone else? Either a massive missed opportunity for theming (not impossible) or Fatal Frame.
A Yuri trailer around Halloween time would be PERFECT

Enchess

Smash Lord
A Yuri trailer around Halloween time would be PERFECT
Still prefer Mio myself, but yeah, really hoping for that Halloween trailer. I think it's fairly safe to say we're Halloween or bust and if Spirits gets revealed next month we probably aren't getting a FF rep.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Still prefer Mio myself, but yeah, really hoping for that Halloween trailer. I think it's fairly safe to say we're Halloween or bust and if Spirits gets revealed next month we probably aren't getting a FF rep.
Would be such a huge missed opportunity but I wouldn't be too sad. Halloween much make or break for us, or September.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Everyone who wants a Fatal Frame rep should keep talking on here to keep the thread in view and attract more visitors haha

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Everyone who wants a Fatal Frame rep should keep talking on here to keep the thread in view and attract more visitors haha
Come up with something to talk about? I can do that, though more attention could also be gathered to this thread if we got Fatal Frame Protagonist nominated for a vote in the Rate Your Chances thread.

In any case, the recent Nintendo Direct and it's reveal of both Simon and Ritcher Belmont (for as much as I'm not a fan of their inclusion), have brought up something very interesting. Newcomers are able to have Echo Fighters introduced from the get-go. As such if we do get a Fatal Frame protagonist into SSB, regardless of who it is (though I believe it'd most likely be Yuri, but that is another debate altogether), we might also be able to get an Echo Fighter as well.

So my question is this; how would you differ the debuting Fatal Frame protagonist and their Echo Fighter?

As a follow-up question, who would you choose as the main Fatal Frame character in SSB, and who would you include as their Echo?

Enchess

Smash Lord
Come up with something to talk about? I can do that, though more attention could also be gathered to this thread if we got Fatal Frame Protagonist nominated for a vote in the Rate Your Chances thread.

In any case, the recent Nintendo Direct and it's reveal of both Simon and Ritcher Belmont (for as much as I'm not a fan of their inclusion), have brought up something very interesting. Newcomers are able to have Echo Fighters introduced from the get-go. As such if we do get a Fatal Frame protagonist into SSB, regardless of who it is (though I believe it'd most likely be Yuri, but that is another debate altogether), we might also be able to get an Echo Fighter as well.

So my question is this; how would you differ the debuting Fatal Frame protagonist and their Echo Fighter?

As a follow-up question, who would you choose as the main Fatal Frame character in SSB, and who would you include as their Echo?
Well, in game their cameras have different properties, so some inspiration could be taken from that. Yuri comes after the lock-on system, which could be a pretty similar difference to the speculated Simon 8dir whip difference. The ghosts they use (going off fan movesets here) could also be different and have different properties. Yuri could also give Flower (but with different visual effect) as a reference to the wetness system. Mio I imagine having pronounced sweetspot in her camera range compared to Yuri. Basically she's the Marth in the pair.

I'd choose Mio as the most iconic Fatal Frame rep who would also bring stages I'd be more interested in seeing. Yuri as echo.

Speaking of Simon & Richter though, now that they've stolen my Fatal Frame trailer idea, I need to come up with a new one. I'm thinking it could actually be a sequel to some of the current trailers with ghosts of Luigi, Mario, and Mega Man. I was imagining a Ninten echo reveal paired with it actually, but haven't hammered out details.

Last edited:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Hmm we could see Boo's haunted house as a location or a Pokemon setting with ghosts. It feels a bit repetative to have two ghost theme trailers for Smash, so i imagine they might not announce a fatal frame character till post-launch or the setting of the trailer might be from another game. I kind of see Yuri and co. As the Wii Fit Trainer. It never had a huge fanbase but when announced buy people responded with "oh that makes a lot of sense. Its a pretty significant franchise yet we kinda forgot about it".

Enchess

Smash Lord
Hmm we could see Boo's haunted house as a location or a Pokemon setting with ghosts. It feels a bit repetative to have two ghost theme trailers for Smash, so i imagine they might not announce a fatal frame character till post-launch or the setting of the trailer might be from another game. I kind of see Yuri and co. As the Wii Fit Trainer. It never had a huge fanbase but when announced buy people responded with "oh that makes a lot of sense. Its a pretty significant franchise yet we kinda forgot about it".
Yeah, that is a bit of an iffy point. That's part of why I'm trying to think of good way to pair her with Ninten. I can't explain why, but the two just sorta fit together in my mind. I can see it being like Ninten lost in woods and Miku/Mio/Yuri coming to save him. Maybe Yuri could use the Shadow tracking to help guide him out. I don't think it needs to be action packed, but the idea is sorta half there right now

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think a Fatal Fame rep along with The DoomGuy could be a really cool double DLC. I definitely wouldn't mind more horror in Smash!

Enchess

Smash Lord
I think a Fatal Fame rep along with The DoomGuy could be a really cool double DLC. I definitely wouldn't mind more horror in Smash!
But you know what's better than DLC? Base game.

Speaking of, anyone have an explanation for the camera flash-esque way Luigi tried to fight the Mummy? He doesn't do anything like that in Luigi's Mansion, but I don't know Dark Moon well at all so idk if it's a reference to that. If it's not a Dark Moon reference, it very well might be a hint.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
But you know what's better than DLC? Base game.

Speaking of, anyone have an explanation for the camera flash-esque way Luigi tried to fight the Mummy? He doesn't do anything like that in Luigi's Mansion, but I don't know Dark Moon well at all so idk if it's a reference to that. If it's not a Dark Moon reference, it very well might be a hint.
Oh I didn't mean anything by that! My guess is though; that we won't be getting more out their third parties until the DLC period!

Enchess

Smash Lord
Oh I didn't mean anything by that! My guess is though; that we won't be getting more out their third parties until the DLC period!
I know you didn't haha. I'm just saying reach for the sky

Nintendo co-owns Fatal Frame. Its 1st party

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

I think it depends.

While personally I don't think the series needs more than one rep, I wouldn't complain if an echo happens.

Have Yuri be the main fighter and I guess Miku or Mii as the echo fighter. One fighter for the most recent game and another from the most iconic games in the series. That would be great.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I think it depends.

While personally I don't think the series needs more than one rep, I wouldn't complain if an echo happens.

Have Yuri be the main fighter and I guess Miku or Mii as the echo fighter. One fighter for the most recent game and another from the most iconic games in the series. That would be great.
If we get a character and an echo, I'd definitely expect Miku to be the character if she's one of them. Sakurai favors 1st iterations. Mio vs Yuri could go either way. Id love to get two, but mostly because I think Yuri building up wetness for burst of poison effect would be cool, but it's also something that would make me prefer to use someone else, like Mio or Miku hitting slightly harder but with no wetness system.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If we get a character and an echo, I'd definitely expect Miku to be the character if she's one of them. Sakurai favors 1st iterations. Mio vs Yuri could go either way. Id love to get two, but mostly because I think Yuri building up wetness for burst of poison effect would be cool, but it's also something that would make me prefer to use someone else, like Mio or Miku hitting slightly harder but with no wetness system.
Now that just could be the best case scenario, I've always see Miku as the Jill Valentine of all of Fatal Frame and you may be right that Sakurai would favor her the most of all characters.

Neat mechanics for the idea of both MIo and Yuri as echoes. I would quite love that. And you may be right that the wetness would be a crutch to the character. As long as the differences aren't too drastic from the base character (Miku).

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I was just saying to some friends that it'd be cool to get some horror representation in here, and I think Fatal Frame is the way to go.

Top Bottom