• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

weird controller problem

Spife

Smash Master
the c stick on my controller has been...weird lately. Like some times I can't f-smash right (but I can roll and aerial in that direction with the c-stick). Anyone know why or what I can do to fix this? Usually unplugging and replugging fixes this (but that's not really practical mid tourny match), I haven't tried actually resetting the controller (keep forgetting to).

The controller overall feels a little funky, feels like I'm getting miss-inputs some times.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i occasionally have that problem with the silver one i broke in a while ago. missed fsmashes have ensued. it doesn't happen constantly tho it has actually cost me stocks/possible sets in tourny...

glad it's not just me

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think it's an actual problem. I think this happens when people hit the C-stick too soon (like still in lag from something). Then they keep tapping it left or right, but you have to actually fully release it to neutral before you can input it properly. Idk if that's even how it works, but pretty much every time I've had this happen to me, I was pretty sure I hit the C-stick at a really weird timing or didn't get a "clean" pull/press on the stick. Someone should go test real quick to see.

Spife

Smash Master
Nah that's not my problem bones, it was throwing out aerials a few games ago to the right side randomly.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
When it starts givin you crap, try resetting it by holding X Y and then start for like 3-4 seconds and see if it still does it. If it's still doing it it's either time to take it apart and clean your old sweat dirt out or buy a new paddle.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
I've had a very similar problem with an orange controller I purchased while I was down in Miami. It worked perfectly and I was so pumped to have found such a color is as good of condition as it was, even though it was used. But then I discovered soon after that the C-stick would only recognize any downward direction as up. (Try playing Falco without D-air and you see my predicament.)

Eventually I just took it apart and salvaged everything in good condition (and the orange top) and fitted it all with my old black controller's motherboard.

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
Orange Controllers arent all that rare because of the orange spice controllers which are incredibly cheap in both quality and price.

I have a similar problem with my orange controller. The analog stick doesnt register and downward motions.

They just arent very good controllers in any case. Not even sure if theyr worth salvaging since the faceplate may be different.

Massive

Smash Champion
Serious response, there is a physical difference between the first generation (Black/Orange/Purple) Gamecube controllers and second generation (White/Silver/Gold/Pink/etc). Aside from the second generation being slightly larger, the analog sticks have reversed physical sliders for their axes.

In first generation controllers, the horizontal slider was on top, causing left/right to wear out more quickly on both sticks (which causes the controller to "miss inputs" more frequently in general).

In second generation controllers the horizontal slider is on the bottom. Since left/right is used more than up/down, this causes the controllers to wear out less quickly. Second generation controllers don't usually develop a dead-zone as quickly, but they still get wrecked, especially if you use up to jump.

This is also very likely why there are so many silver controllers. The first gens wear out relatively quickly, and the silvers are the most frequently produced.

Spife

Smash Master
It is a purple/clear controller so that sounds about right, I've been resetting the controller and it's been working better butttttt still funky.
I think I'm just gonna use a new controller -.-

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
I just want to remind you all that the C-Stick is a modular component... You can very easily swap it out with a different one that works.

Don't even need to solder anything, it just plugs right in!

Top Bottom